• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Velocity Architecture - 100 GB is instantly accessible by the developer through a custom hardware decompression block

geordiemp

Yes the real games will be the judgement.
But even UE5 demo was broken by Epic China team that the engine dont need some pie in sky SSD speeds.
4.8gbs is a huge uplift, there must be a lot of spare capacity in there already, for next gen level designs

Sure it can be done, the chinese stream even said 1080p 2 triangles a pixel and MB/s bandwidth, but nobody know the exact context of those comments, other than suggesting UE5 will scale to whatever is availble, even Ps4 and XB1.

Then you have the requirement for not so bleeding edge but want 60 FPS, so SSD needs to go twice as fast with less detail as you have half the frame time, latency becomes even more critical.

Will solutions on slower SSD be good for 1440p and 60 FPS at high detail, who knows, that should be the target though for next gen, I want high image quality and 60 FPS ideally

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I wonder why people are doubling down on the SSD being the thing the most important next gen??

whereas if it was reversed,the notion that the SSD was going to change anything would be ridiculed to high heaven.

SSD in the ps5 has become this gens power of the cloud. Until the games prove otherwise.

Considering how much this magic 2-3 I/O bandwidth multiplier for XSX claims came back out of nowhere after UE5’s PS5 reatine demo kind of did just that... I guess it is a bit different than power of the cloud.

The problem with the power of the cloud claims is that people could articulate problems with regards to latency and dependency on still unreliable and unreachable data for many (e.g.: losing network or not having a fast enough network connection, how would offline gameplay work? Can you make a similar argument about the SSD in next generation consoles and al the HW in the box they have thrown at it to make it fast and easy to optimise for/use?), but here it is the people putting down what Sony achieved that are doing the handwaving and concern raising.

The only similar thing would be starting concern threads about XSX’s 12 TFLOPS being a synthetic benchmark figure that most games will not even be close to getting in real world scenario... bogus, handwavey, and disingenuous or ill informed concern filled scenario, but only thing coming close to it IMHO.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Sure it can be done, the chinese stream even said 1080p 2 triangles a pixel and MB/s bandwidth, but nobody know the exact context of those comments, other than suggesting UE5 will scale to whatever is availble, even Ps4 and XB1.

Then you have the requirement for not so bleeding edge but want 60 FPS, so SSD needs to go twice as fast with less detail as you have half the frame time, latency becomes even more critical.

Will solutions on slower SSD be good for 1440p and 60 FPS at high detail, who knows, that should be the target though for next gen, I want high image quality and 60 FPS ideally

Like VFXVeteran said, you can push as much data to the APU, the APU still need to process and run them.
That is where SeX is more powerful.
Maybe 9gbps can be better utilised by something like a 3080Ti or 4080Ti, future tech where they can have real 4K output.

THE:MILKMAN

You're quoting a random twitter user who got the 2-3x figure from the official microsoft xbox series x page to say discredit the figure?

I think the main confusion is where/what the 2-3x multiplier applies to. To give a previous similar example with Xbox One there was the PRT/tiled resources API+hardware that combined the data move engines and eSRAM that could take 6GB of textures and fit them into the 32MB and then stream them in as and when with Granite. This would be nearly a 200x multiplier!

I think the 2-3x multiplier is overall efficiency of RAM like we saw in the PS5 RAM utilization slides:

WBwdSLvz8Gto7pmcnf6Awb-1200-80.jpg

ps5ram.0.jpg

I will also repeat again that too much emphasis is being put on the "SSD" itself when it is far more the hardware and software that comes after that.

The thing I'm most skeptical about from what Mark Cerny said is that devs don't need to know or do much at all about all the hardware. Does it virtually automatically.

I await the receipts!

geordiemp

Yes the real games will be the judgement.
But even UE5 demo was broken by Epic China team that the engine dont need some pie in sky SSD speeds.
4.8gbs is a huge uplift, there must be a lot of spare capacity in there already, for next gen level designs

No it does not need crazy SSD speeds, The china gave an example of 1080p , 2 triangles per pixel and muich lower into MB/s, trade off is image quality.

Its all a balance, that balance word again, and its balancing IO power / GPU and CPU power and overall bandwidths. It will be interesting to see how it all falls.

Like VFXVeteran said, you can push as much data to the APU, the APU still need to process and run them.
That is where SeX is more powerful.
Maybe 9gbps can be better utilised by something like a 3080Ti or 4080Ti, future tech where they can have real 4K output.

We have a data point already though, the demo, and it clearly showed that at 1440p temporal to 4K you cant even measure the resolution, you have to be TOLD what the native resolution is. DF cannot see it or measure it, there is no pixel counting. as detail is too high...., nobody can.

That tells me anything over 1440p is just numbers, makes no difference if quality of native is super high. So could PS5 GPU be stronger, of course, does it need a stronger GPU for that Demo ? might help a bit but nobody can tell anyway lol..

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Im talking about their speech content though. The video is just a video for background purposes, that was a TV/Internet(?) show after all.

Nothing Epic has said suggests that the variety and level of detail isn’t directly related to disc I/O throughout and latency. Of course things scale, but they scale based on factors and something tells me Sony has worked pretty closely with partners such as Epic to decide where to invest their R&D budget for PS5 and their massive bet on SSD and I/O tech is a result of that.

longdi

Banned
Nothing Epic has said suggests that the variety and level of detail isn’t directly related to disc I/O throughout and latency. Of course things scale, but they scale based on factors and something tells me Sony has worked pretty closely with partners such as Epic to decide where to invest their R&D budget for PS5 and their massive bet on SSD and I/O tech is a result of that.

It will be embarassing for MS if the SeX cannot meet and surpass PS5 version of UE5 demo.
Totally weird to see a stronger hardware lose out to streaming.
MS seems confident of that though. :messenger_bicep:

geordiemp

It will be embarassing for MS if the SeX cannot meet and surpass PS5 version of UE5 demo.

That is your issue, XSX is not stronger hardware is it, it is only got more Terraflops and will only benefit for games made using current rendering technologies like gears 5 for example, chucking in ray tracing and other effects..

Its hard to accept that Ps5 is actually the stronger hardware for streaming high quality assets and I will put a bet on Sony first party using that fast SSD - you know whats coming it does not take a genius to work that one out..

You think EPIC chose Ps5 for that UE5 demo because of money ? Its because Ps5 is ready and been designed for that purpose.

longdi

Banned
That is your issue, XSX is not stronger hardware is it, it is only got more Terraflops and will only benefit for games made using current rendering technologies like gears 5 for example, chucking in ray tracing and other effects..

Its hard to accept that Ps5 is actually the stronger hardware for streaming high quality assets and I will put a bet on Sony first party using that fast SSD - you know whats coming it does not take a genius to work that one out..

You think EPIC chose Ps5 for that UE5 demo because of money ? Its because Ps5 is ready and been designed for that purpose.

Not money, just friendship benefits. :goog_hugging_face:
I believe SeX is clearly more powerful and that 4.8gbs vs 9gbs wont matter this gen.
AKA SeX offers the better perf/price.

Define stronger.
I guess you're referring to it as stronger because of TFLOP,CPU Frequency and top bandwith?
Its not clear though if it is actually "stronger".

Same kind of overconfidence like the post above you.
Both sides really want to be the "stronger" one.

I am not so sure which one is stronger.
Based on the past however I would rather bet on sony winning the next round again even if their consoles turns out to be "weaker". ( not taking possible mid-gen-refreshes into account ).

Not that it actually matters to me.
Im gonna stick with Sony anyways. Haven't been disappointed so far for 4 generations 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Silly Sony, here you go having the best SSD solution. Microsoft should of just shipped with a HDD. This is funny. Software is going to beat a hardware solution, since when?
Sony underestimated the Velocity.

geordiemp

I believe SeX is clearly more powerful and that 4.8gbs vs 9gbs wont matter this gen.

I think the opposite, I think MS are struggling with their IO, demo showing state of decay loading 5GB in 11 seconds shows where they were in March 2020 and are still working on their SFS and 100 GB partition and the like.

I have seen no real world evidence demo or gameplay XSX IO is faster than 0.5 GB/s seen in the fast loading demo for state of decay in march 2020.......YET......and sure MS are working hard at it and giving us all the marketing blurb.....

Remember Sonys fast loading demo was not 11 seconds it was 1 second and in May 2019, a year ago. They are miles apart in progress, but thhis 100 GB and SFS might help MS get back closer to 2.4 GB/s in real world.

I believe 10 to 12 TF wont matter this gen when games are pulling in high quality assets of what your ;looking at, and Ps5 games dedicated to that will be a step up.

So Ps5 will be stronger with engines using high assets and is more performance per $.

Supersampling high quality assets is the new paradigm and is here to stay. Its not about terrafloppies anymore, it will take time for many to accept that , but good MS is addressing this.

Last edited:
Just because people have different opinions that doesn’t mean they are “baiting you”.

This is literally an Xbox thread yet here we have all the usual Sony fanboys acting all enraged against people who where having a technical discussion (much more interesting than anything that user could say).

I bet that’s why he got so mad.
"Technical" discussion 😂😂😂

Ok. ps5 is 17tf .xsx is 4 tf . Lets have a "technical"conversation on how much more compute power ps5 has. 😂

U see how alternate fake information ruins logical and technical discussion ?

Last edited:

TBiddy

I think the opposite, I think MS are struggling with their IO, demo showing state of decay loading 5GB in 11 seconds shows where they were in March 2020 and are still working on their SFS and 100 GB partition and the like.

I have seen no real world evidence demo or gameplay XSX IO is faster than 0.5 GB/s seen in the fast loading demo for state of decay in march 2020.......YET......and sure MS are working hard at it and giving us all the marketing blurb.....

Just to be clear - you're seriously arguing that as of March 2020 the XSX was peaking at 0.5 GB/s?

geordiemp

Just to be clear - you're seriously arguing that as of March 2020 the XSX was peaking at 0.5 GB/s?

I dont know about peaking. all we know is what was shown by MS Xbox studio developer, 12 to 23 seconds for 5GB in March 2020. There is so many unknowns about a game save restart from XSX and if which of the new technologies help the loading, if any.

Maybe MS will have a better demo soon, they need to show the ability better than the above for sure.

Maybe MS picked the slowest possible loading example from their in house devs....god knows why MS would do this.......lets wait.

Last edited:

TBiddy

I dont know about peaking. all we know is what was shown by MS Xbox studio developer, 12 to 23 seconds for 5GB in March 2020. There is so many unknowns about a game save restart from XSX and if which of the new technologies help the loading, if any.

Maybe MS will have a better demo soon, they need to show the ability better than the above for sure.

Just seems odd that you're using, what is clearly not an optimized demo, to argue that "I think MS are struggling with their IO".

But I agree. They need to show a better demo soon. The video you've posted have been doing the rounds and is the perfect fuel for FUD.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Just seems odd that you're using, what is clearly not an optimized demo, to argue that "I think MS are struggling with their IO".

But I agree. They need to show a better demo soon. The video you've posted have been doing the rounds and is the perfect fuel for FUD.

from just over month ago using their in house dev team on a first party game, not optimised could also imply they dont have the apis ready - who knows.

Its not really FUD is it, its a demo by xbox studios they were proud of at the time. Things changed in a month for sure.

If your car can go 0 to 240 in 2 seconds, why show 0 to 50 in 11 seconds last month ?

Why dont MS just show the loading, I am tired of all the marketing blurb velocity this, smart that.

Just show it.

Last edited:

TBiddy

from just over month ago using their in house dev team on a first party game, not optimised could also imply they dont have the apis ready - who knows.

Its not really FUD is it, its a demo by xbox studios they were proud of at the time. Things changed in a month for sure.

If your car can go 0 to 240 in 2 seconds, why show 0 to 50 in 11 seconds last month ?

Why dont MS just show the loading, I am tired of all the marketing blurb velocity this, smart that.

Just show it.

As I understood it, the game was just installed and then started on the XSX, which means it could be a real world example on how current-gen games will load - who knows. But using it to infer that "They are struggling with their IO" is either disingenous or FUD, depending on the intent.

You do realise that neither company has really "shown it", yet, right? If you don't like the marketing buzz words, you could just avoid the threads that revolve around said marketing buzz words.

Last edited:

geordiemp

As I understood it, the game was just installed and then started on the XSX, which means it could be a real world example on how current-gen games will load - who knows. But using it to infer that "They are struggling with their IO" is either disingenous or FUD, depending on the intent.

You do realise that neither company has really "shown it", yet, right? If you don't like the marketing buzz words, you could just avoid the threads that revolve around said marketing buzz words.

MS just hailed it as a fast loading demo. Thats it.

Sony showed fast loading in 1 second in may 2019, last year, and now the UE5 demo.

Yes thats all we know for now.

Thirty7ven

Banned
What is an optimized demo? MS decided to show that demo to display their "instant loading". Why are we talking about "optimized"? The video is up on youtube, official, by MS.

Its a 5.1x improvement on the loading. The Spiderman demo showed a 9.8x improvement on the loading. The numbers seem to be in the ballpark of the differences in RAW transfer rate.

Last edited:

martino

seems thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best double standard is at work :
expecting a worst example to be the best case in one case.
expecting the best example to be the worst on the other.

we don't know how fast ps4 bc title without any optimization will launch
let's say they were demoing bc gains...the content was odd for this purpose without using the game but demos on both hardware.

Last edited:

Redlight

Yeah, but again and this is a pattern with PS5 news that are not negative: “How can we know it for sure? How can we know it is good news actually?” and honestly I am not sure Sony has done anything to deserve this much doubt and scrutiny.

It seems sometimes a race to dismiss, whitewash, whataboutism, etc... that feels like goal post shifting.

...and yet here you are in an Xbox thread downplaying something that may be good news for the Xbox. :)

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

So like are you saying that SSD putting those pixel on screen by itself? You have the data fine, but then you have to put them on the screen.

oldergamer

So despite ms having 4 lanes stacked 64bit mem chips for their ssd to utilize more of the bandwidth per lane. We think they are using 800MT instead of 900-1200 MT?

Keep in mind that is a sustained and not peak value MS put out there, so i would assume they are actually using 900-1200MT as there would be minimal bandwidth waste per lane already accounted for in the 2.4 gb numbers they have given. No way its 100% efficient in using all bandwidth per 4 lanes. if true it would give them a greater peak if i understand it correctly.

So a few things, If Sony needs 12 lanes, one to each of the 64MB chips, and that is to hit 5.5gb/s the question I'd have is how efficient are those lanes. If it's true that there is wasted bandwidth per lane, how much are we talking about. Also again it seems like sony was indeed using Peak numbers and non sustained. We already know these drives hit the performance mark in sequential reads ( which i think applies to large single files) however, we know that this won't be the case. its going to come down to random read speed.

Some more speculation, what if the 100GB that MS has dedicated to for the velocity architecture is designed to force data to be more sequential instead of Random? Like its reordering data when it can? That could potentially hit the peak performance mark more often.

So imo, I think MS has the more efficient solution buy using more of available bandwidth per lane then Sony. However sony still has the faster overall SSD, but just not as optimal for what it is.

i have all sorts of questions now.

Last edited:

cHaOs667

What is an optimized demo? MS decided to show that demo to display their "instant loading". Why are we talking about "optimized"? The video is up on youtube, official, by MS.

Its a 5.1x improvement on the loading. The Spiderman demo showed a 9.8x improvement on the loading. The numbers seem to be in the ballpark of the differences in RAW transfer rate.
Nobody knows on which Hardware the Spiderman demo really run and nobody knows if this was the real game or a modified spin off.. But for sure it was not running on the PS5 system we receive on holiday. ;)

We don't even know this from Microsoft but they mocked it like it looked like they are running the real XBox One Game on a Series X. ;)

Those limits are theoretical.

Someone explained to me that those limits are reached when the data flows throw the I/O system perfectly. Now realistically the numbers are lower because there can be hitches along the path that slow down the flow of data.

The numbers on the specifications are probably the results that they got after extensive testing. It should be considered the normal speeds for the SSDs. Not saying the values can't reach higher but it's highly unlikely that will reach above those numbers.

I believe that Sony and Microsoft would give us the best figures possible and not hide the real values behind custom hardware/software solutions. Essentially the numbers on the specifications is what we should expect from these consoles.

oldergamer

Someone explained to me that those limits are reached when the data flows throw the I/O system perfectly. Now realistically the numbers are lower because there can be hitches along the path that slow down the flow of data.

The numbers on the specifications are probably the results that they got after extensive testing. It should be considered the normal speeds for the SSDs. Not saying the values can't reach higher but it's highly unlikely that will reach above those numbers.

I believe that Sony and Microsoft would give us the best figures possible and not hide the real values behind custom hardware/software solutions. Essentially the numbers on the specifications is what we should expect from these consoles.
I'm pretty sure sony is giving peak sequential read/write speed. MS is for certain giving sustained random read/write speed ( they specifically called 2.4gb/s out as sustained )

Last edited:

cHaOs667

Someone explained to me that those limits are reached when the data flows throw the I/O system perfectly.
It depends on many factors - size of the data, how much the cache of the SSD is filled, how many (near) parallel operations (reading and writing) are running and how hot the SSD is. The last thing is something that will be very interesting how good the cooling system of both consoles can cool the SSD. If you have ever built an PC with an M.2 SSD you know that heat can be a real issue. Especially for the PCIE 4.0 SSD's.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I'm pretty sure sony is giving peak sequential read/write speed. MS is for certain giving sustained random read/write speed ( they specifically called 2.4gb/s out as sustained )

You keep saying this with no proof. If you don't want others to think you're astroturfing, you need to back it up with sources or anything more than "I think" x Infinity.

Nobody knows on which Hardware the Spiderman demo really run and nobody knows if this was the real game or a modified spin off.. But for sure it was not running on the PS5 system we receive on holiday. ;)

We don't even know this from Microsoft but they mocked it like it looked like they are running the real XBox One Game on a Series X. ;)

Very true. I only mentioned it because the difference in improvement closely resemble the differences in RAW. But we can't know for sure right now, that much is true.

Last edited:

fybyfyby

1)you know performance comparision of PS5 and XSX in any game?
2)you know price of PS5 and XSX?

I can reply instead of you:
1) No
2) No

So you somehow calculated perf/price ratio. Hmmm..... Interesting.

Chankoras

so the question is, why would Cerny and Co. design it that way of is not going to matter this gen?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
1)you know performance comparision of PS5 and XSX in any game?
2)you know price of PS5 and XSX?

I can reply instead of you:
1) No
2) No

So you somehow calculated perf/price ratio. Hmmm..... Interesting.
Probably assumed price would be the same, and performance wise I don't understand why anyone would ever think the PS5 would deliver higher performance when the CU/GPU and RAM bandwidth of the XSX is higher.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
...and yet here you are in an Xbox thread downplaying something that may be good news for the Xbox. :)

Ok, I am game. How am I downplaying the XSX SSD and I/O setup?

If I am thinking what you are thinking then I may as well make some ludicrous claim about the higher PS5 GPU clockspeed and refuse any correction as downplaying PS5, but maybe you are thinking of something else... please let me know and if I was really doing that I will apologise and stop.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Why would it be embarrassing? What is it with this always about total domination or total loss obsession? Why is it that inconceivable that PS5’s SSD solution is better and that can have noticeable results / it is not just fake hype?!

Why would a tweaked demo showing higher resolution and possibly some higher quality effects and maybe implementing ray tracing which was not implemented yet for this PS5 demo (time more than performance being a constraint) and yet a little bit less variety and detail related to streaming (unless they publish a demo for XSX in say six months with the ATG spending that time helping Epic to optimise and then Sony may work with Epic to one up them, etc...) be a problem?

Last edited:

oldergamer

You keep saying this with no proof. If you don't want others to think you're astroturfing, you need to back it up with sources or anything more than "I think" x Infinity.

The reason i said " I think" is it's my opinion. I don't really care what people think. If you are trying to tell me my opinion is wrong, by all means go ahead. This is all speculation as we don't know for certain, however, sony clearly did not state "Sustained" like MS. They clearly have no problem using the best or higher number when it suits them. 12 lanes/64gb per = 5.5GB/s. That sounds like peak sequential read. Sony does have to work within the limits of the hardware available today, they are modifying PC hardware remember.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The reason i said " I think" is it's my opinion. I don't really care what people think. If you are trying to tell me my opinion is wrong, by all means go ahead. This is all speculation as we don't know for certain, however, sony clearly did not state "Sustained" like MS. They clearly have no problem using the best or higher number when it suits them. 12 lanes/64gb per = 5.5GB/s. That sounds like peak sequential read. Sony does have to work within the limits of the hardware available today, they are modifying PC hardware remember.

giphy.gif

Leyasu

Banned
Considering how much this magic 2-3 I/O bandwidth multiplier for XSX claims came back out of nowhere after UE5’s PS5 reatine demo kind of did just that... I guess it is a bit different than power of the cloud.

The problem with the power of the cloud claims is that people could articulate problems with regards to latency and dependency on still unreliable and unreachable data for many (e.g.: losing network or not having a fast enough network connection, how would offline gameplay work? Can you make a similar argument about the SSD in next generation consoles and al the HW in the box they have thrown at it to make it fast and easy to optimise for/use?), but here it is the people putting down what Sony achieved that are doing the handwaving and concern raising.

The only similar thing would be starting concern threads about XSX’s 12 TFLOPS being a synthetic benchmark figure that most games will not even be close to getting in real world scenario... bogus, handwavey, and disingenuous or ill informed concern filled scenario, but only thing coming close to it IMHO.
2 wrongs don’t make a right.

The SSD and everything that Sony has done in that regard is great for sure. But seeing people here and other forums claiming that it going to make everything magically better than will be found elsewhere is nothing more than fanboy wet dreams at the moment. I even saw someone else saying elsewhere that they would like to see Microsoft explaining their design choices now.

Tripolygon

Banned
Sony is not giving their peak. The peak will be more than 6GB/s+ in order to sustain 5.5GB/s.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The SSD and everything that Sony has done in that regard is great for sure. But seeing people here and other forums claiming that it going to make everything magically better than will be found elsewhere is nothing more than fanboy wet dreams at the moment. I even saw someone else saying elsewhere that they would like to see Microsoft explaining their design choices now.

I do not think people are saying it will magically make things better, maybe I am not reading the right crazies in this instance.

Not sure what the two wrongs not make a right comment was for: the “power of the cloud” comment had physics and implementation details issues back in 2013 and we saw nothing in 7.5 years backing it up. The SSD comments, which all apply also to the XSX (compared to the average PC and previous generation consoles), are not comparable to that.

Essentially it seems to boil down to “number where XSX is superior == something useful” vs “number where XSX is not superior == either the extra performance is likely worthless or XSX has secret trump card that closes the gap completely”.

Chankoras

Is it about SDD or memory bandwidth and transmission rate?

Top Bottom