• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wants To Provide A 'Steady Flow Of Great Games' Moving Forward

I have netflix too and I'd love to hear what you're talking about. What new orginal movie releases were there this past month let alone week? As you said they are not AAA blockbusters anyhow but I'm interested to know what movies you're seeing that I ain't.

Project Adam, which absolutely sucked dick and licked taint

BbMajor7th

Another major issue for XBOX Studios is the perception of quality. Ninty and PS generally push out polished products, which even at their lowest ebb will still net a 75 MC, most will be mid-80s to mid-90s. Projects like Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, MCC and Bleeding Edge being barebones, buggy or simply unfinished have gone some way to damaging the brand, I think. They might only wind up as GP fodder, but building a quantity over quality reputation for the service probably isn't in their best interest. Hype is good - look at Elden Ring - but it'll be harder to manufacture that if they keep pushing to stuff that comes with the kind of caveats that deflate the hype.

Another major issue for XBOX Studios is the perception of quality. Ninty and PS generally push out polished products, which even at their lowest ebb will still net a 75 MC, most will be mid-80s to mid-90s. Projects like Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, MCC and Bleeding Edge being barebones, buggy or simply unfinished have gone some way to damaging the brand, I think. They might only wind up as GP fodder, but building a quantity over quality reputation for the service probably isn't in their best interest. Hype is good - look at Elden Ring - but it'll be harder to manufacture that if they keep pushing to stuff that comes with the kind of caveats that deflate the hype.
Exactly. There's so many games coming out that even if you don't completely rely on sales (gamepass) you still need to make an impression. Get the headlines. Get nominated for awards. etc. Games like Sea of Thieves turned around but with their model of making it better over time, just makes their games eligible for best on-going game. There's too many games to expect gamers to stick around and be there when something is eventually great later.

Riky

$MSFT

Hilarious when they just won publisher of the year with the highest Metacritic ever🤣

kingfey

Banned
I guess bethesda, Obsidian and ninja theory become a turd, because MS owns them now right?

Hilarious when they just won publisher of the year with the highest Metacritic ever🤣
Well they did take out games MS published that didn't score well and they added a game from 2020 so . . .

The Gunk got a 70, published by xbox game studios
Space Jam A New Legacy got a 53, published by xbox game studios.
Flight Sim, came out in 2020 but a console port counts towards 2021 for some reason.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

But that's what everyone here is talking about AAA. so why are you arguing the point that it wouldn't increase cost for little benefit? You said every quarter others were saying every month.

The original posts:

Now we are arguing the point whether people will unsubscribe without a AAA release every quarter/month and the answer seems to be no.

Quite a difference between a big release every quarter and one every month. Not interchangeable at all, IMO.

GP isn't just the first-party output though, so it all depends on what third-parties are bringing as well. If major releases are too sparse you risk losing subs for periods of time in-between releases, which is not ideal.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Well they did take out games MS published that didn't score well and they added a game from 2020 so . . .

The Gunk got a 70, published by xbox game studios
Space Jam A New Legacy got a 53, published by xbox game studios.
Flight Sim, came out in 2020 but a console port counts towards 2021 for some reason.

Thunderful and Digital Eclipse published those games, FS was new to console, it was also the GOTy edition with weather changes etc.

Neither the Wiki, or official page on Xbox.com mention that.

PS while we're at it, MS Studios also didn't publish Crossfire X, for anyone who keeps wanting to use that as a trump card :p

So Metacritic can't be trusted. :messenger_winking_tongue: Flight Sim should still be considered for the year it originally came out.

coffinbirth

As I said, "console exclusive".

MS wouldn't be blocking any game for PC (especially considering they'll have to pay extra to do that).

And "second party" is a very different thing. Flight Simulator is a second-party game (an Xbox game built by a non-XGS studio). But I don't recognize that distinction. In my opinion, if the IP belongs to Microsoft, it's a first-party game (e.g., Flight Simulator). If it doesn't, it is only a third-party game (e.g., Stalker).
"For gamers like us, it is the end result that matters: where we can play a game and where we can't."
That's what I was referring to, as all three of those games are coming to pc. It was sarcasm, so sorry as I know that tends not to translate in this format.

Not sure what you are talking about in regards to "MS wouldn't be blocking any game for PC"... I wasn't saying anything remotely like that, as this is about console exclusivity, and Microsoft is obviously all in on spreading Game Pass to as many platforms that would have them.

If Microsoft is paying to have a console exclusive title(in perpetuity) the distinction between 1st, 2nd and 3rd party is irrelevant, especially to the end user, as you stated...my point is would Microsoft even bother paying for console exclusivity going forward if it's not tied to Game Pass? Seems unlikely at this point. My comment about 2nd party is if Microsoft were to acquire a console exclusive title and publish it across Xbox, PC and Xcloud, the distinction between 1st-3rd party is extra blurred if that contract actually funds at least partial development costs paired with Microsofts tendency to allow devs to retain IP rights.

I know what these terms mean in the traditional sense, this is more about the evolution of those models and I suspect there is already announced and/or released Game Pass titles that have interesting contractual terms.

Ozriel

M$FT
If a studio rebooted a game, I'd take it into account. But neither Undead Labs nor Ninja Theory were working on another IP that they had to cancel before resuming production on SoD3 and HB2. If you know about this, share receipts.

Also, first you accused me of being wrong, and when I presented receipts, you completely changed the topic.

But your 'receipts' are flat out wrong.

Sucker Punch has said multiple times that they'd been on Ghost of Tsushima for six years. Of course, not all of it in full production, but they were working it as a concept in parallel with Prophecy.

Also, Barlog states that Sony Santa Monica were working on BOTH Internal 7 and God of War in 2013, and that by Q1 2014, it was their sole project after Internal-7 got canceled.

Last edited:

Sega Orphan

Banned
Because of the long development cycle of games nowadays, and MS honouring existing contracts prior to acquisition, it takes a long time to turn the ship.

The average game takes 4 or so years now to develop.
Since acquisition we have only had the following games released.
Double Fine with Psychonauts 2. MS could have easily binned the PS4 version, but didn't.
InXile with Wastlands.
Playground with Forza Horizon 4 and 5.
Arkane with Deathloop on PS5. Again, MS could have paid out Sony but chose to honour the contract, and like DF and Inxile it was the right thing to do.
Ninja Theory with Bleeding Edge

This will change, and when it does its going to be awesome to be an xbox player.
With Activision MS has 29 studios working on xbox and PC games. A number of them have multiple teams and are working on multiple projects such as Obsidian and PlayGround. So let's say they have 35 teams.
An average 4 years development time per game and we have between 8 and 9 games per year dropping.

Dr Bass

You know, you people who keep touting this might want to look a bit deeper into that. The "certain contingent" (as usual) keeps referring to this but have you ... looked into it at all? If you had I would be embarrassed to quote this as any such argument. Here is why:

Metacritic left out MS published games on this chart that scored poorly. If they had included those games (like they should have?) they wouldn't been anywhere near winning. And then the games they did include ... some of them they had no part in even making. Psychonauts 2? I mean come on, that is not an "Xbox game." The games were Forza, Halo, Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, and Age of Empires. Ok so .... MS can buy up publishers games already well into production, not include games that score poorly, and all of a sudden they are Metacritic "publisher of the year." On top of that it's 10 scores with "five distinct titles," so ... it's just the five games I mentioned. None if makes any sense if you just look at it..

And if people want to doubt this just look at this:

Why were "The Gunk" and "Space Jam" left off the scoring list of titles? Because then they would have also had 80-81 or around there? Not a record breaking year?

Again this group of people continues to be freakin' weird. Does any one of you even play games? I've never seen a single person in this group actually talk about a game they are playing that they like except for maybe one person (keeping things nameless!) But you'll "brag" about a Metacritic story that doesn't even hold up to 30 seconds of scrutiny. Dunno what to say to all that except for a giant double-u-tee-eff.

Again, I don' give a :poop: about any of this because I play all of these games and have my own opinions on them (and if you don't believe me, go read the review I left for Horizon FW in the official thread), but I do care about actual facts and such. And thus far I have not seen an explanation why it's ok for the so called "publisher of the year" to, at minimum, include scores for all the games they publish in their yearly average? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'd love a good answer for that one.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Why were "The Gunk" and "Space Jam" left off the scoring list of titles? Because then they would have also had 80-81 or around there? Not a record breaking year?
The Gunk is an action-adventure video game developed by Image & Form and published by Thunderful Publishing. The game was released on December 16, 2021 for Windows, Xbox One and Xbox Series X and Series S. Wikipedia
Initial release date: December 16, 2021
Engine: Unreal Engine 4
Mode: Single-player video game
Developers: Image & Form Games, Thunderful Development AB
Publishers: Thunderful Group, Thunderful Publishing
Platforms: Xbox Series X and Series S, Microsoft Windows, Xbox One
Genres: Action game, Action-adventure game,

Space jam was done by Digital Eclipse. MS published, but had nothing to do with the game.

Please stop spreading fake information.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
You know, you people who keep touting this might want to look a bit deeper into that. The "certain contingent" (as usual) keeps referring to this but have you ... looked into it at all? If you had I would be embarrassed to quote this as any such argument. Here is why:

Metacritic left out MS published games on this chart that scored poorly. If they had included those games (like they should have?) they wouldn't been anywhere near winning. And then the games they did include ... some of them they had no part in even making. Psychonauts 2? I mean come on, that is not an "Xbox game." The games were Forza, Halo, Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, and Age of Empires. Ok so .... MS can buy up publishers games already well into production, not include games that score poorly, and all of a sudden they are Metacritic "publisher of the year." On top of that it's 10 scores with "five distinct titles," so ... it's just the five games I mentioned. None if makes any sense if you just look at it..

Again this group of people continues to be freakin' weird. Does any one of you even play games? I've never seen a single person in this group actually talk about a game they are playing that they like except for maybe one person (keeping things nameless!) But you'll "brag" about a Metacritic story that doesn't even hold up to 30 seconds of scrutiny. Dunno what to say to all that except for a giant double-u-tee-eff.

Again, I don' give a :poop: about any of this because I play all of these games and have my own opinions on them (and if you don't believe me, go read the review I left for Horizon FW in the official thread), but I do care about actual facts and such. And thus far I have not seen an explanation why it's ok for the so called "publisher of the year" to, at minimum, include scores for all the games they publish in their yearly average? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Asks people to look into it, makes false claims without looking into it. 🤡

reksveks

Dr Bass Dr Bass cause quoting isn't working on my phone

Just a heads up that The Gunk was actually published by Thunderful Games.

Space Jam was published by Digital Eclipse.

Metacritic has some bad data on that front. It's actually happened before.

Tetris Effect according to Metacritic is a SIE published game which no other source seems to agree with. Also Ticket to Ride is an SIE game...

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Gunk wasn't published by XGS, so it should not be included.

Agreed with Psychonauts 2, but because of the technical reasons how the games are counted, it will be a part of this calculation. Similarly, Deathloop will likely be a part of that calculation for XGS Games in 2022. It's just weird. It'll be like if Destiny 2 Witch Queen is a part of the scores for PlayStation Studios.

I understand why they would include those scores (the technicality behind it), but it also kinda defeats the purpose of the overall score because it doesn't tell the real story.

Ozriel

M$FT
. And then the games they did include ... some of them they had no part in even making. Psychonauts 2? I mean come on, that is not an "Xbox game."

You're already getting rightly cooked for misinformation about The Gunk and Space Jam.

Imagine arguing that Microsoft's acquisition had no hand in Psychonauts 2 when the developer credits additional Microsoft funding for helping to flesh out the game.

Agreed with Psychonauts 2, but because of the technical reasons how the games are counted, it will be a part of this calculation. Similarly, Deathloop will likely be a part of that calculation for XGS Games in 2022. It's just weird. It'll be like if Destiny 2 Witch Queen is a part of the scores for PlayStation Studios.

I understand why they would include those scores (the technicality behind it), but it also kinda defeats the purpose of the overall score because it doesn't tell the real story.
Of course you agree with Psychonauts 2, even though it's fairly well known what MS added to the final game. That's par for the course with your takes here.

This thread is about the ability of Microsoft studios to keep pumping out quality games at a regular cadence. Whether or not the games were acquired mid or late development isnt material. Microsoft Games is the publisher, and a Microsoft Games studio delivered a quality final product. And thanks to MS policy of non-interference, there's every possibility that these studios will continue to deliver quality titles. End of story.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Gunk wasn't published by XGS, so it should not be included.

If XGS didn't publish the Gunk, or Space Jam, why is it clearly listed on the link I included as being published by them? That seems strange. I'm using Metacritic's own site. 🤷‍♂️ Including again ...

"Xbox Game Studios Scores." Now if I am wrong there, my bad. But I was looking at their listing on their site and thought wtf.

Doesn't matter to me anyway, like I said, I play everything everywhere. It's just such an odd thing to brag about when it's like ... ok these people are not even seemingly playing the games. I know I am. At least Halo, Flight Sim and Psychonauts 2. Tried Forza and it's not my thing and I don't do PC anymore for AoE.

MadPanda

Banned
I hope they first get 343i to have a steady flow of great seasonal content, then we can talk about Xbox as a whole.

Back in 2017/18 when they were acquiring independent studios I didn't think it would take them so much to release some games. I know games can't be made overnight but it's taken too long. It still doesn't feel like Microsoft has 30+ studios. So far it's been just a number. One day that will change but the wait is difficult.

pratyush

I am interested to know if quality of games will suffer due to subscription model as they want "steady" flow. But with 30 studio, they should have 5-6 games every year from their studio if followed normal development schedule . Anything more than that, then quality will start going down

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'd just like them to have better, more consistent communication with their titles in-development, honestly. Quantity of games isn't that important compared to the quality. Reveal more about their games layer-by-layer at interspersed points over the year in a way that tells a story of the game's development and shows (not just tell) more of what we can expect while actually playing that game
I want the opposite. No detail, no spoilers. Announce the title, tell us the style, few screenshots and then let us play it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I am interested to know if quality of games will suffer due to subscription model as they want "steady" flow. But with 30 studio, they should have 5-6 games every year from their studio if followed normal development schedule . Anything more than that, then quality will start going down
Doesn't make any sense for them to let quality slide. They have gone all in on Gamepass. If it becomes known as the place to play bad games people will go elsewhere and all their investment will be for nothing.

That's without getting into that not every Xbox player has gamepass and that they sell the games separately.

Last edited:

pratyush

Doesn't make any sense for them to let quality slide. They have gone all in on Gamepass. If it becomes known as the place to play bad games people will go elsewhere and all their investment will be for nothing.
Nobody wants bad quality games but subscription model is tough to maintain quality.

reksveks

Personally would only use the 30 studio number once the Activision Blizzard deal completes.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Another major issue for XBOX Studios is the perception of quality.
Highest rated publisher of 2021, that one? The one that set a record on metacritic?

I think they'll be fine.

mxbison

We'll see.

Right now for me GamePass is perfect to get like every 3-4 months and play the cool new stuff. Not at the point yet where I'd just full time subscribe.

Ozriel

M$FT
Doesn't matter to me anyway, like I said, I play everything everywhere. It's just such an odd thing to brag about when it's like ... ok these people are not even seemingly playing the games. I know I am. At least Halo, Flight Sim and Psychonauts 2. Tried Forza and it's not my thing and I don't do PC anymore for AoE.

What is this paragraph? 😂😂😂

We'll see.

Right now for me GamePass is perfect to get like every 3-4 months and play the cool new stuff. Not at the point yet where I'd just full time subscribe.

When I could get 3 years of Gamepass for approx $180, popping up to sub once every few months would have felt like I was cheating myself of great gaming time.
I suppose that strategy works if you’re only about fIrst party AAA games and can stomach the inconvenience, but there’s a great array of excellent content that shows up pretty much every month.

NorbertK

Neo Member
Sucker Punch released the InFamous First Light DLC in late 2014 and then worked on another IP (Prophecy) till late 2015 / early 2016, before canceling it. They moved to Ghost of Tsushima after that. So 2016-2020 (despite COVID and TLOU 2 release date delaying the game in the end).

God of War and Ghost of Tsushima are AAA games as well, and yet they were made in a shorter time frame. And that was my point.

"Sucker Punch's co-founder, Brian Fleming, was asked what feature of Ghost of Tsushima was the most difficult to implement. Fleming answered that it was easily the combat, because it took nonstop work for six years to get it righ"

Sorry, but it took six years, you are just wrong here.

NorbertK

Neo Member
Here's the thing tool wise Most of the first half of last gen was Sony getting their developers off Power-PC architecture and on to x86. SO there was going to be a long lull of studios moving over their tools to x86, which is why there was such a long wait from end of PS3 era to PS4 in terms of releases.

Now that they have their engines built, tools built and better workflows because of the low level API being ready out the gate on PS5 toolsets which are basically super enhanced PS4 toolsets, games are coming out at a consistent clip. Insomniac has by far the most efficient work flow. They literally have 2 studios and worked on Spiderman remastered, Miles morales, and Ratchet & clank:RA. And already are on track to release Spiderman 2 next year, and possibly Wolverine in 2024, on top of making what I've heard as a X-men game with co-op/Mulitplayer.

Guerilla has multiple teams, is working on multiple projects and just released one of the largest most dense games on PS5 last month. ANd it would have been able to release last year if not for covid. So 4 years since Zero dawn.

Sony has their studios setup to release games every 3-4 years instead of 5-6 like it was for some. ANd with studios now being 2 team based, and some of them 3. It's hard to knock how many games they have pumped out in the past 2 years.
Some of their studios may to that, but not all, especially when it comes with a new ip. Pixelopus? Media Molecule? Bend? Ok there is Insomniac, and there is a rest of them...

ZywyPL

Banned
I expect that from 2023 they'll be able to provide a big 1st party game at least every quarter. If not then something went wrong. They have so many projects in the making for quite some time, so IMO 2023 seems aboutv right for those games to start being released. Maybe Starfield followed by FM8 will be the start of that constant flow of games, we'll see.

Zeroing

Banned
I understand people's excitement from going from a few studios for quite some years to 300000* gaming studios.

*Global projections for 2023 - MS buys everything.

But now being serious, it is not easy to manage so many studios and projects. MS in the past shown more than once they always talk and underdeliver. I am a pessimist by nature so I do not expect much but I am willing to be surprised.

Papacheeks

Banned
Because of the long development cycle of games nowadays, and MS honouring existing contracts prior to acquisition, it takes a long time to turn the ship.

The average game takes 4 or so years now to develop.
Since acquisition we have only had the following games released.
Double Fine with Psychonauts 2. MS could have easily binned the PS4 version, but didn't.
InXile with Wastlands.
Playground with Forza Horizon 4 and 5.
Arkane with Deathloop on PS5. Again, MS could have paid out Sony but chose to honour the contract, and like DF and Inxile it was the right thing to do.
Ninja Theory with Bleeding Edge

This will change, and when it does its going to be awesome to be an xbox player.
With Activision MS has 29 studios working on xbox and PC games. A number of them have multiple teams and are working on multiple projects such as Obsidian and PlayGround. So let's say they have 35 teams.
An average 4 years development time per game and we have between 8 and 9 games per year dropping.

So what your saying is buying a publisher like Activision absolves them from having to actually manage studios internally well to produce games? Because outside of already established studios within Bethesda/Zenimax, studios like Ninja Theory, Double fine who manage themselves for the most part Microsoft seems to have an issue with the very studios they themselves cultivated.

We are not worried about Todd Howards teams, or Hellbalde team, or Tim Shaefer's team at Double fine. We are not worried about Infinity ward, Toys4Bob, Vicarious Visions. We are worried about RARE, Inititiave, Undeadlabs, 343i, coalition And those to me are your pillar studios. The only one thats actually delivered games without much issue is Coalition, Playground games.

But with Coalition kind of making gears meh in terms of direction of where to take it, I kind of dont care about gears? I would care about a new IP which I hear they are making if smaller scale project.

I think the aggravation from people like myself towards Microsoft is they literally are trying to buy their way to success. And currently its not really working. Or the results are not great. Buying already established developers/publisher takes no fucking effort. Sony is no different in buying Bungie, difference is Sony wants to use them for their own internal games to help with tools for multiplayer.

I don't hear or see any of the studios MS has bought that are taking on other roles within the company. Coalition and Playground are the only ones I've heard who have helped out on other projects within other studios for Xbox like 343.

Netflix has a similar issue.

Top Bottom