• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wire - The biggest Xbox console launch ever, including 70% Game Pass attach rate

First 24 hours of launch:

In the first 24 hours of launch:
  • More new consoles sold than any prior generation, with Xbox Series S adding the highest percentage of new players for any Xbox console at launch
  • More games played, 3,594 in total, spanning four generations, setting a record for the most games ever played during an Xbox console launch
  • 70 percent of Series X|S consoles are attached to new and existing Xbox Game Pass members

Not bad if you believe the marketing, but with no numbers these kind of statements are virtually useless.

C1UW23t.png

whitesugar

Banned
Not too surprising with the Gamepass figures, the hardcore generally jump in first of course. Really wish they'd give numbers. They're obviously good and shouldn't hide them just because they're less than Sonys

The most ever games played in a launch is funny

JCK75

I'm a PC Gamer all the way, but Gamepass has really just given me hella value on both Xbox and PC and I absolutely love the service.
This was almost entirely the reason I went X-Series before PS5 (I'll go both eventually).. strange thing is I don't even like Halo or Gears of War that much but I am a huge Forza guy.

onesvenus

This means more than a million worldwide which I think is not really that high of a number, isn't it?
Well, reading that article until the end, Sony sold "more than a million" PS4 in the first 24 hours worldwide so maybe that's a great number.
I don't know why but I expected higher numbers.

Portugeezer

Series S doing what it's designed to do, very interesting to see how it will do in the future. I expect a lot of other console/PC players will get one as a secondary gamepass box.

3000 games is just another bullet point just to fill the page. Gamepass attach is high as hell though.

INC

Hard up people who can't afford to convert for $1 or sign up for a $1 trial if they're totally new.

So yeah if you don't have GP, you've done something wrong.

MS should just include 6 months free GP, get them hooked, and take it away, and they'll come clucking back in no time

Kikorin

I'm more surprised 30% of buyiers didn't subscribed to gamepass. Buy Series X/S at launch and not have Gamepass is like buy Switch day one and not buy BOTW.

Edit:
Oh yes, if 30% already have it then make sense.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
My $1 gamepass trial expired and I am not paying full price for ultimate gamepass as the value isn't there for me. Gamepass is most valuable when there is 1st party new AAA I.p. dropping day and date and tell me what game there is to look forward to coming in the next year even. Halo? Maybe. So I'm one of the 30% that did not bother attaching my new system to Gamepass.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You'd be surprised how many armchair experts/engineers in the Next Gen thread predicted that it would be DOA.

A £249 price point for next gen, or just a Game Pass/Xbox library box, is going to sell - regardless of specs.

Anything the hive mind says about something console wise 95 percent of the time ends up being the total opposite. Only one I think Gaf has called correctly is Stadia.

TonyK

For you both, Sony and Microsoft, stop the hype train until you can put more consoles in the stores. I'm frustrated as hell with this launch.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
My $1 gamepass trial expired and I am not paying full price for ultimate gamepass as the value isn't there for me. Gamepass is most valuable when there is 1st party new AAA I.p. dropping day and date and tell me what game there is to look forward to coming in the next year even. Halo? Maybe. So I'm one of the 30% that did not bother attaching my new system to Gamepass.

For me at least, I couldn't disagree more. For $10 a month, how long does it really take to break even? A couple of games a year? Maybe 3 or 4 older ones?
Take for instance lately - You have Doom Eternal, which was still selling for $40-50, and then they just added planet coast the day it came out, what $50? That's just one month.
Easily saves me a ton of money all year long.

Lone Wolf

Are you in the USA? Black Friday is bringing Half price GPU codes. Stock up!!!

R6Rider

Gold Member

I agree, but I'm dropping mine for a different reason. I've payed the full price for the last few months and enjoyed games on it, but haven't really used it much this past month. Plus with the PS5 launch and other upcoming titles I'll be mostly on my PS5 anyway. I'll probably re-sub once bigger titles drop or when I pick up a Series X.

lachesis

I did the 3 year Game Pass life-hack just before I received my Series X. For next 3 years of my GamePass subscription, I will try to play everything on GamePass on my XSX.... and on the last month of GamePass, I may buy the games I really want to keep with me at deep discount, and consider extending my subscription at that point.

Reactions: MrS

Stuart360

This means more than a million worldwide which I think is not really that high of a number, isn't it?
Well, reading that article until the end, Sony sold "more than a million" PS4 in the first 24 hours worldwide so maybe that's a great number.
I don't know why but I expected higher numbers.
lol this is classic. Neogaf in a nutshell -

'Over a million, it doesnt sound a lot'
Finishes reading article and sees Sony did the same
'Oh, its actually a great number!
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I get what you're saying. I own pretty everything I want to play that's available on gamepass so there's no reason for me to pay for it right now. But when new games start dropping I'll resubscribe.

Top Bottom