• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360 NXE Dashboard Leaked to the Net!!! But theres a problem

voltron said:
Yeah I agree with that. They really are pushing hard for non-subscribers to sign up.

But really.. what good is 90% of the dashboard without Live? They do have a point... connect up and you get tons more content.

bigGIRLSblouse said:
But really.. what good is 90% of the dashboard without Live? They do have a point... connect up and you get tons more content.
Live as a service makes 50% of the 360 for me. It's a big part of the console. Without Live I probably wouldn't appreciate the console that much... NXE is taking this to another level IMO.

jowa

I managed to connect to xbox live with the leaked version installed. Here's what I did:

-launched Gears of War, got prompted for an update
-When you're asked if you want to update, select "no"
-Launch Xbox guide, and return to dashboard, you should now sign in to live automatically.

It's a bit glitchy though: you can't check your messages, you can't access marketplace, still no avatars, but at least you can play online.

jowa said:
It's a bit glitchy though: you can't check your messages, you can't access marketplace, still no avatars, but at least you can play online.
LOL so what's even the point of having the leaked version if you can do virtually nothing with it?

Merguson

Banned
I'm getting the fake-out updates too... also I received an update for Mercenaries 2 when prompted and it downloaded the update. It was that cheat update.. I tried it and it seemed to work.

It looks like the update is now on the servers... it'll automatically prompt for everyone without NXE on November 19th. As for leaked NXE, it looks like it prompts for the update too, but it appears that it'll block your console until the 19th.

Merguson

Banned
jowa said:
I managed to connect to xbox live with the leaked version installed. Here's what I did:

-Launch Xbox guide, and return to dashboard, you should now sign in to live automatically.

How is that possible? It still asks you for an update when you go to the dashboard.

Burai

shitonmychest57
HUELEN10 said:
Can do. Last thing we need is stupid GAF threads with the drunk GAF crew.

See yas...

Well, I guess I can cross "sending a GAFer to bed" off the list of things I didn't think I'd ever do.

Treo360

jowa said:

Shit, it worked!!! Cool find.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Netflix may have gained a new subscriber, my wife loves the instant rental stuff, I didn't know she hadn't seen The Thing and I was downloading it to see if I could get it to come up as the HD version (once I freed up some bandwidth it did), and she was hooked. What a great movie it was I hadn't seen it in awhile... between that and the silent running of installed games, I give this update a thumbs up.

2DMention

Banned
Netflix is gonna be impractical. You'd need ludicrous speed Broadband to watch stuff in HD (You'd have to live in Asia or Europe where they have REAL internet).

tokkun

2DMention said:
Netflix is gonna be impractical. You'd need ludicrous speed Broadband to watch stuff in HD (You'd have to live in Asia or Europe where they have REAL internet).

Never streamed one of the 720p videos from Gametrailers?

Cdammen

2DMention said:
Ha ha, we (Swedes) have the real Internet! Suck on that USA, you only have the knock-off :lol

All you need is a ~7.2MB/s and that is available in pretty much every city. And to my understanding the streaming adapts to your bandwidth so if you don't get the full HD bitrate you still get the resolution (720p) but the images are in a lower bitrate (I may be completely wrong on this one).

(EDIT) And dude, look ahead, technology is advancing and broadband availability is expanding every day.

sega4ever

worked for me too, just follow the instructions to the letter

the gears of war 1 update didnt show up till after the hit start button i think

Foxix Von

Nifty, but the problem is you will only appear online :lol Which is basically useless considering you can't contact anyone on your friend list, and once I'm at the dashboard as soon as I try to hop back into a game I'm prompted to update if I hit no I'm disconnected.

So I still can't play multiplayer matches, and I'm afraid to hit yes to the update (will it explode?)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
2DMention said:

Are you trolling both NXE threads?

I have FIOS 20/5 service was able to watch The Thing in HD with no problem.

Treo360

for those who can't play online. If you have a game that you don't care for playing online and the system prompts for an update use this as your "boot to live disc".

nofi

Treo360 said:
for those who can't play online. If you have a game that you don't care for playing online and the system prompts for an update use this as your "boot to live disc".

I've been waiting for Live to come back (I'm NXE'd) so I can do the XBLA DRM thing (as I recently got another 360) - will this give me enough Live to do that, do you think?

Foxix Von

Treo360 said:

Wait... now I'm confused :lol what happens when I update with the leaked NXE?

EDIT: OHhhh... (reads thread) nevermind :lol

2DMention said:

I just have normal Comcast and watched King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters in HD with no issues.

The trick is that the bitrate for "HD Netflix" isn't what you would get from a Blu-Ray disc. It's easier to send if it's compressed, but it's a bit lossy. Still great picture though IMHO.

sega4ever

i used gear 1 as my boot disk, then went into a horde match in gears 2. i couldn't check my friends list or messages, but i could see who is online using the whats up button

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
2DMention said:

Um i just streamed some HD videos off netflix yesterday. Takes 30 seconds for them to load up. No skipping or anything and def looks better than DVD.

Im only on a medium Comcast plan too(6 MB's).

angelfly

I must be doing something wrong because it's not working at all for me.

I launched GeoW2
Got prompted for update and selected "no"
pushed the guide button and selected to return to dash
got prompted upon return to update and selected yes
then update failed

Manp

2DMention said:

:lol

angelfly said:
I must be doing something wrong because it's not working at all for me.

I launched GeoW2
Got prompted for update and selected "no"
pushed the guide button and selected to return to dash
got prompted upon return to update and selected yes
then update failed

you dont ever install the update, it just lets you connect to live (minus friends list, marketplace, etc)

angelfly

Saren is Bad said:
you dont ever install the update, it just lets you connect to live (minus friends list, marketplace, etc)

Still won't connect. When I select not to update it stays disconnected. I go and select Connect to Live and select "no" at the update prompt and it stays disconnected.

angelfly said:
Still won't connect. When I select not to update it stays disconnected. I go and select Connect to Live and select "no" at the update prompt and it stays disconnected.

you want it to prompt you to download a game update, not the nxe update. that is why gow1 works well. when it prompts you to download the game patch/update, you go back to dashboard. if that doesnt work then sorry :-(

nofi

Worked for me, and I just did the DRM transfer no probs, recognised my new 360 easily enough and transferred all my purchases.

angelfly

Saren is Bad said:
you want it to prompt you to download a game update, not the nxe update. that is why gow1 works well. when it prompts you to download the game patch/update, you go back to dashboard. if that doesnt work then sorry :-(

Thanks Man! That was the mistake I was making. I got it to work using Hexic HD which I haven't played since the day I connected my 360.

Sleeker

This is silly.

I boot up gears 1 and it asks me if I want the update and i press "NO".....

Then I go back to the dash and it says I'm disconnected.

What magic spell do i need to make this work?

Merguson

Banned
Sleeker said:
This is silly.

I boot up gears 1 and it asks me if I want the update and i press "NO".....

Then I go back to the dash and it says I'm disconnected.

What magic spell do i need to make this work?

I think when it prompts you to download the "game" update... hit the guide button and go to dashboard? I'll have to try this with an older game.

Aye, how do I delete the zero point games? I went to my gamercard and cycled through the different games but I don't see an option to delete any of the zero pointers. Help? :(

DancingJesus said:
Aye, how do I delete the zero point games? I went to my gamercard and cycled through the different games but I don't see an option to delete any of the zero pointers. Help? :(

In the achievements list. The way I did it was get the mini-guide up, go left, select achievements, press X when available.

sruckus

Wow that trick actually worked! I messed up the Hexic update try but it worked fine with the Geometry Wars arcade trial I had on the system.

To clarify:
-Do NOT say yes to any "SYSTEM update"
-Boot up a game and when prompted for a GAME update, say no then you'll either be booted back to the dashboard automatically (or in my case, hit the blade, then y to go back yourself) and you should be logged into live.

Also, anyone figure out the fix for the black bars? I am hooked up to hdmi which I guess could be the problem, but basically the xbox sets the resolution for my monitor correct 1680-1050, but I have black bars which distorts the picture and like "shrinks it" like the monitor isn't widescreen. I tried the reference areas settings with no luck. What the heck!

Treo360

Merguson said:
I think when it prompts you to download the "game" update... hit the guide button and go to dashboard? I'll have to try this with an older game.

No. Select no for the game update and then hit the guide button and select exit to dashboard (y) then it should log you into Live.

zig

disappeared said:
speaking of which, I changed my aspect ratio to 16:10, booted up Fallout 3, and the game was in a letterbox format. Perplexed, I set it back to the 1280x720 resolution.
I think the 16:10 resolutions are mainly for people whose 16:10 LCDs have really bad scaling quality and get a better picture if the 360 is doing the scaling to their LCDs native resolution. Its purpose is not to pump out extra pixels to fill the screen. If my assumptions are correct.

Top Bottom