• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxgaf: How are you enjoying Deathloop?

How are you enjoying Deathloop/what console are you playing on?

• Loving it (XsX)

Votes: 35 32.7%
  • It's Okay (XsX)

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • Not My Cup of Tea (XsX)

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Loving it (XSS)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • It's Okay (XSS)

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Not My Cup of Tea (XSS)

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Loving it (Xcloud)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • It's Okay (Xcloud)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Not My Cup of Tea (Xcloud)

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters

Billbofet

Love the art style, voice acting is great, looks amazing even on my Series S, but once I finished the first mission, it went in to a menu tutorial and I kinda lost interest. The gameplay was just okay, but I don't care for upgrades, crafting, and 3 levels deep menu systems. Might try it at some point, just isn't what I want to play at this point.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
If you liked Deathloop (or didn’t like it) give Prey: Mooncrash a try.

Imo it’s a far more refined version of Deathloop.
I played the PS version last year and while it started off very engaging, the VO and bloat quickly wore me down about 50% through the game.

This may be due to the fact I played Mooncrash when it came out, so the Deathloop package wasn’t as compelling as I think it would be if I played DL first.

Last edited:

skit_data

Gonna give it a spin now that it’s on PS+ along with my fellow Xbox brethren. I’ve tried Prey but fell off (probably because I was in the mood for a braindead FPS and it’s the wrong way to approach their games). Maybe this will make me a believer in Arkane.

Edit: Idk what it is about these controls, it works fine for Fallout and Elder Scrolls but I can’t shake the feeling of being unable to aim properly and in a game like this it becomes instantly noticable. Maybe I just suck at aiming with a controller. But I haven’t experienced this feeling in CoD or Doom 2016 for example. It just feels like being stuck with the controls of one of Bethesda Softworks RPGs but in a much more action focused game.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I have taken the advice of other players on here and I no longer go straight for the kill when playing as Julianna. Its so much fun to stalk and watch. I stay back and take pot shots with weak guns to unnerve them when they think they are safe. I'll go behind them after they set up auto turrets and remove batteries. Most of the time I even let them finish their mission, and I'm just there to raise the stakes. I bet you they really felt a sense of accomplishment when they make it back to the safe house.

Last edited:

Jaybe

I’m liking it. There is a genius game here but also parts that are dull. I’ve got a few slabs now, shame you can only equip two. If I was patient it would be so interesting to unravel the puzzle, but I’m not so I will get pointers on where to go and what to do for parts of the day. The gameplay loop is clicking for me though. Looking forward to competing and picking away at some of the extra story threads. So far my favourite game of Arkane’s.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I feel excluded by this thread :messenger_beaming: I'm an XSX owner but only just playing it now on PS5 as it also just landed on PS+

Anyway. I'm quite liking it, you can feel the Arkaneness of it, but I'm a little overwhelmed by all the UI explaining everything at the start. Now I've settled into it, I think I'm going to enjoy it. The shooting seems a little 'off' not sure why, almost like it's been optimised for KB/M so maybe I just need to tweak the settings. But on the plus side, I love the concept and exploring the environments.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I have taken the advice of other players on here and I no longer go straight for the kill when playing as Julianna. Its so much fun to stalk and watch. I stay back and take pot shots with weak guns to unnerve them when they think they are safe. I'll go behind them after they set up auto turrets and remove batteries. Most of the time I even let them finish their mission, and I'm just there to raise the stakes. I bet you they really felt a sense of accomplishment when they make it back to the safe house.
I can't get into many games, fucking matchmaking takes forever, and then when I do get a game, it ends up being laggy as fuck.

Although that style does sound fun.

MarkMe2525

I can't get into many games, fucking matchmaking takes forever, and then when I do get a game, it ends up being laggy as fuck.

Although that style does sound fun.
Yeah, what helped me with the lag is going into the options in deathloop and turning off cross play. That keeps me from connecting to a host player in Europe as often as before as Xbox is predominantly a US console. It still happens because the game is designed for Julianna to take 100% of the lag to keep the single player gameplay smooth, but not nearly as often or as bad.

R6Rider

Gold Member
You should give Sniper Elite 5 a try. It has a similar invasion mode that can be even more cat n mouse, slower, and strategic.

Banned
This is big news to me. A good opportunity to see if I can ever go back to FPS on a controller if you are saying the software side problems have been eliminated here.

it's not perfect tho. there's an issue with sensitivity for example. the vertical sensitivity setting is way slower than the horizontal one.

so in order to have evenly fast turn speed on both axis you need to set your horizontal way lower than your vertical. this also has the side effect that your max turn speed is a bit slow for my tastes.

but all the filters can now be turned off.
you can turn off axial dampening as they call it, you can turn off aim acceleration, you can use the unfiltered reaction curve and you can turn off/down the inner and outer deadzones

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Not playing on Series X yet (my playthrough was on PS5), but on a more general note - this is an excellent game that really surprised me. For those starting out - it took a few hours to really click with me (when you gain the ability to permanently unlock abilities and weapons for subsequent play throughs), but if you stick with it, I think this is Arkane's best game.

Banned
I think this is Arkane's best game.

220px-Prey_cover_art.jpg

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
it was a fucking joke on controller, like AWFUL, but with the Xbox release a new patch came that fixed all of the issues by giving a ton more options that can turn off all that sucked about the aiming...
all the issues other people on here gave me a hard time for pointing them out btw... weird how they PATCHED IT when there wasn't an issue according to those casuals :pie_thinking:
They didn't PATCH anything. They just added control options.

Banned
They didn't PATCH anything. They just added control options.

exactly, they added the options to turn off literally everything I brought up that made the aiming an absolute disaster.

all of it is now a setting you can turn off. because for a year many people on their Reddit told them that the aiming is pure trash, which it was

Last edited:

Beechos

Its alright the voice acting is prob the best part of the game. I do prefer it over dishonored though. Nothing beats prey though.

Aion002

I played a couple of hours and I deleted it.

I didn't hated... I just rather play other games.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

hey they added it to PS Plus on the same day as GamePass. Im playing it there just to see if there was dualsense stuff. Even tho i vastly prefer Xbox elite controller for an FPS game.

I played like almost an hour? Premise and story are intriguing. So far im kinda bored. Its a little stealth heavy and i wasn't in the mood for stealth at the time i guess. art direction is good. i like the look of the characters and weapons. My fave part so far is the 70s spy movie aesthetic

It’s on ps plus!? Cool cause my Gamepass expires today and I have premium till the end of the year.

I played through 3 stages on Series S yesterday. Feels like dishonored which wasn’t my cup of tea. This fees like more of the same. A giant level with multiple paths and play style options. I’m just running and gunning, ignoring tutorials and optional reading. Safe to say I probably won’t finish it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Much to my shocked surprise I am loving the game. It truly is an Arkane game and Arkane is one of my favorite developers. I really didn't think I would like this game at all, but so far, I'm addicted.

Arkane is one of your favourite developers yet you're surprised that you like the game. How so?

If you liked Deathloop (or didn’t like it) give Prey: Mooncrash a try.

Imo it’s a far more refined version of Deathloop.
I played the PS version last year and while it started off very engaging, the VO and bloat quickly wore me down about 50% through the game.

This may be due to the fact I played Mooncrash when it came out, so the Deathloop package wasn’t as compelling as I think it would be if I played DL first.
I have not played mooncrash actually, is it on gamepass? I only got halfway thru dishonored 2 as well (can’t deal with the lag on the controls) - but prey was incredible for me and I loved deathloop.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Arkane is one of your favourite developers yet you're surprised that you like the game. How so?

I think the game was hard to explain and show in trailers. It looked super unappealing to me and each new trailer made me less interested. I think I was not getting the concept of the time loop and how it worked. Also it didn't look or feel like an Arkane game to me in everything I saw about it, but it absolutely is.

It’s fine so far? Gameplay feels better than I expected and it has some really nice visual design.

Overall I just don’t care about what’s going on though. It’s not very challenging and I don’t really care about any of the characters or the story for that matter.

I’d probably be more invested if I’d dropped 70 on it.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm curious. The Dunkey vid put me off. Kick everyone doesn't matter. Still curious though

Calverz

Got it downloaded on my x but haven’t played yet. Still need to finish death stranding on pc pass. But got a steam deck recently so addicted to that

It's in my plans for the weekend. Looking forward to it, but a little worried because Arkane games always seem like something I will love, but I never manage to get into them... Dishonored being the prime example of that.

Arachnid

I am fucking loving it. I never should have doubted Arkane. I doubted them with Prey too, so that's twice they proved me wrong.

At the moment, I'm highly doubting Redfall. Deathloop is so good, I think I may just have to start getting hyped for that game too. I don't want to go three for three with them. Arkane's earned the benefit of the doubt. They are such a damn good acquisition for Xbox.

johnjohn

Definitely a long prologue and it takes a bit to get going, but the more I play the more I'm enjoying it. I love puzzles games games so this is right up my alley.

R6Rider

Gold Member
At the moment, I'm highly doubting Redfall. Deathloop is so good, I think I may just have to start getting hyped for that game too. I don't want to go three for three with them. Arkane's earned the benefit of the doubt. They are such a damn good acquisition for Xbox.
I've really enjoyed both Dishonored games, Prey, and Deathloop, but I have very low intersest in Redfall. Just looks too far off from their typical style and gameplay to me. Plus the whole tiered loot system is a huge turnoff for me as well.

Arachnid

I've really enjoyed both Dishonored games, Prey, and Deathloop, but I have very low intersest in Redfall. Just looks too far off from their typical style and gameplay to me. Plus the whole tiered loot system is a huge turnoff for me as well.
Yeah, I have the same opinion. I like the idea of fighting vampires, but really not a fan of how they're going about it. It doesn't feel like a sim like their other games. Also not a fan of it being developed around co-op. I know you can play it solo, but it'll probably be a stripped down experience from their prior games.

I didn't even know about the tiered loot. That's the biggest problem so far, then. I'm hoping its closer to the tiered loot system in Deathloop than something like Destiny. I'll have to look more into it.

Last edited:

Beechos

I think the game was hard to explain and show in trailers. It looked super unappealing to me and each new trailer made me less interested. I think I was not getting the concept of the time loop and how it worked. Also it didn't look or feel like an Arkane game to me in everything I saw about it, but it absolutely is.
I felt the same way i think it was the online hunting aspect that threw me off where someone can join your game. For those whose have yet to play its pretty much dishonored but more stylish. If you didnt like that you swont like this.

Chukhopops

It’s not at all what I expected but it’s interesting and very unique in its design even compared to other Arkane games. I was expecting something closer to Prey but it’s completely different in the way you progress.

Gameplay wise though it’s a bit wonky, the gunplay, the way the character handles, it feels a bit off and I play on PC.

I don’t think it will end up in my favorites list but I enjoy it so far.

LostDonkey

I gave it a go. I'm just not into this whole die, restart, progress a little further, die restart....

I consider it lazy game design. Give me a story I can actually progress through properly over these kind of games anyday.

Not for me.

So far I am really enjoying it, I enjoy this type of discovery by repetition formula. I am not far in breaking the loop but don't see myself allowing down. Just wish there was cross progression between Xbox and steam

Top Bottom