• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Xboxnoise - Kinectless Xbox Ones may have a problem?

I have around 6-8 friends that bought Xbox Ones when it came out here in Sweden. About half report this noise problem. Reading on the forums proves that a lot of people are having it. Dismissing it as "not widespread" is the wrong thing to do.

Reading forum reports those who turn in their Xbox Ones are not guaranteed to get a silent console either, several have gotten new ones that make the exact same noise.

Just like the RROD or the YLOD wasn't a widespread case at the start?

I get your points, but isn't it a little too soon to compare it to the RRoD? At this point, a significant problem has been reported, but it's an isolated case at best not a 33%+ hardware failure like the 360 or even the PS3's level that's all I was trying to get across. Yes it sucks for those who were affected, but nearly every piece of technology has hardware failures. From what we can decipher currently, this is not a larger issue at hand like the cases of PS3/360. Many were also doing the same type of doom and gloom with the PS4's Blue Light of Death which turned out to only affect 1% of the userbase. The greater majority of the userbase has not experienced these issues. Don't you think canceling pre orders is a bit much? I mean this problem may be a software issue that is solved in a timely manner for all we know and there's also a warranty for replacements if it isn't. From what I've seen most new adopters have not been affected so canceling pre orders is a bit of a rash decision.

Warablo

Mine definitely makes a noise but its not loud at all.. Is it something I should be concerned about? Like I have to put my ear to the machine...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why is this only being discovered three months after the price drop?

Well, think about it. Up until then all consoles came wiht Kinect and I'd wager the vast majority kept their Kinect in because it was the best way to navigate and generally use the console.

With all the updates, Kinect isn't anywhere near as required, so you now have the combination of Kinectless consoles being bought as well as people unplugging existing Kinects that aren't required.

No need for a tinfoil hat.

Toki767

I get your points, but isn't it a little too soon to compare it to the RRoD? At this point, a significant problem has been reported, but it's an isolated case at best not a 33%+ hardware failure like the 360 or even the PS3's level that's all I was trying to get across. Yes it sucks for those who were affected, but nearly every piece of technology has hardware failures. From what we can decipher currently, this is not a larger issue at hand like the cases of PS3/360. Many were also doing the same type of doom and gloom with the PS4's Blue Light of Death which turned out to only affect 1% of the userbase. The greater majority of the userbase has not experienced these issues. Don't you think canceling pre orders is a bit much? I mean this problem may be a software issue that is solved in a timely manner for all we know and there's also a warranty for replacements if it isn't. From what I've seen most new adopters have not been affected so canceling pre orders is a bit of a rash decision.

I've never unplugged my Kinect so I don't know if mine would have the same issue or not (although I swear I hear the console make noise at random times even when the system is off), but as someone stated before, the majority of users might not even know that the Xbox One making noise is unnatural. We'll never know how many are really effected by this, just like we'll never know how many were effected by the RROD (which granted there probably are very little amounts of launch 360s remaining that haven't gotten it).

The main issue is that it's important for people to get the word out so that others are aware that loud noises aren't actually supposed to happen. People saying "it's not a big deal" and "not common enough to be a problem" aren't helping the issue from those who are effected. And more importantly, the more the word gets out about this, the faster it will hopefully be for Microsoft to come out with a fix if it is a software problem.

Indiedevs

Banned
I think they can fix this with an software update, but Microsoft must be aware of it. Media haven't picked it up yet, and complaining to support on Twitter doesn't help.

Daniel R

The main issue is that it's important for people to get the word out so that others are aware that loud noises aren't actually supposed to happen. People saying "it's not a big deal" and "not common enough to be a problem" aren't helping the issue from those who are effected. And more importantly, the more the word gets out about this, the faster it will hopefully be for Microsoft to come out with a fix if it is a software problem.

I can't agree more. Please ppl, don't say it's not a problem if you aren't affected yourselves.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I've never unplugged my Kinect so I don't know if mine would have the same issue or not (although I swear I hear the console make noise at random times even when the system is off), but as someone stated before, the majority of users might not even know that the Xbox One making noise is unnatural. We'll never know how many are really effected by this, just like we'll never know how many were effected by the RROD (which granted there probably are very little amounts of launch 360s remaining that haven't gotten it).

Given that early 360s sounded like jumbo jets taking off, I'm not surprised many don't find this noise anything abnormal.

I personally don't have this noise, but I do hear some whining from my power supply. Again, nothing overly distracting, but it's there. Tried plugging directly into the wall instead of the power board I have but it didn't make a difference.

But my day one console is basically dead silent, which I'm thankful for, especially after the original 360s.

Maffew

I should probably point out that my Xbox (as quoted in the first post of this thread) is not Kinectless, and has always had a Kinect attached. Was purchased right at the end of February.

It doesn't seem to be making as much noise as some of the others, with just a quietish fan / hard drive noise (40-42dB when measured close up) audible when sitting around 6 or 7 feet away.

fijviLt.gif

What the, 4 from amazon, 3 from target? :eek:

Anyway, I guess this finally settles the debate. Xbox One IS better with Kinect. :p

I'll go report it for you guys on the preview forums, so they can look into the problem. I'll link them directly to this thread.

Toki767

What the, 4 from amazon, 3 from target? :eek:

Anyway, I guess this finally settles the debate. Xbox One IS better with Kinect. :p

I'll go report it for you guys on the preview forums, so they can look into the problem. I'll link them directly to this thread.

It's quieter, at least.

Well, think about it. Up until then all consoles came wiht Kinect and I'd wager the vast majority kept their Kinect in because it was the best way to navigate and generally use the console.

With all the updates, Kinect isn't anywhere near as required, so you now have the combination of Kinectless consoles being bought as well as people unplugging existing Kinects that aren't required.

No need for a tinfoil hat.

Plenty of people used their consoles without Kinect since the launch. This is either a faulty batch of consoles, a problem with new parts or a newer hardware revision (opening up newer consoles and comparing them to launch models could perhaps tell us something), or an issue that mostly occurs when newer hardware is combined with specific firmware updates. It doesn't seem to be something that occurs over time, since most people are reporting having the issue appear from the very first update, and sometimes on multiple new consoles.

BrumGB

My console (Kinect Included) makes this noise (ticking / seeking sound when idle), I've just got used to it now.

Manufacture date May 2014 if I remember correctly.

I apologize if it seems I was trying to "downplay" if that's what it seems like, but I have many real life friends with an XB1 who've unplugged the Kinect before and I have not heard even once before today about this issue. I'm not saying my situation equals the world, but it's obvious if this was apart of a larger trend that more threads would pop up about it and there would be much more outrage.

I mean seriously, do you really believe that no one with a Kinect version of Xbox One ever unplugged it until now? This isn't the first time we've heard of an hardware issue with the XB1/PS4 and up to this point they have not been a significant portion of the userbase. There will be a portion of the userbase that will experience such issues just as there has been with every console that's existed, but trying to pass this off as a RRoD/YLoD is ridiculous until we have more information.

There is no reason to make this seem like some type of larger trend when it is clearly not the case. We have people canceling pre orders for NO reason and that's a problem, these consoles are not fail proof and they have a warranty for a reason. If no one bought a console simply because a minority of users had a hardware issue then no one would own ANY console.

There is a small thread in the official XBOX SUPPORT FORUMS, it wouldn't even exist if there were never cases like these. Anyways, I have no interest in debating this topic with you as I'm not disagreeing with your specific statements, but rather the doom and gloom posts that have no basis. I'm also enjoying Destiny right now so there's also that :p.

Sorry to hear about those affected, hopefully the warranty will smooth these issues if a software update doesn't. I just don't see how people can compare this to the RROD or YLOD at this point there's no basis to make such statements. It would be closer to the BLOD or Best Buy issue for the time being if anything. Cancelling pre orders is not necessary. This type of overreaction is prevalent in so many threads, when people are not fully informed.

Well, I put it up on official preview update forums to see if they can potentially look into the problem. If there's anything there, they'll surely find it.

I already never disconnected my Kinect from my Xbox One even once, and this guarantees I never will (not like I'd want to) It makes sense for people without Kinect, but I don't see why anyone would seriously have a Kinect and not plug it in. The thing makes the system so much more awesome.

THRILLH0

Banned
The quotes in the OP describe 2 distinctly different sounds with very different causes. It's disingenuous to lump them together as being indicative of a singular issue.

ekim

Remove the disc, maybe the sound is coming from that.
Apart from that - the power brick has a fan so this might be also the source of the strange sounds.

My xbox one has been super quiet since launch. I've literally never heard it beyond the moment when I first turn it on and hear a slight hum of fan (or maybe it's the hard drive making the sound I'm thinking of) then nothing after that, even while gaming. The loudest sound I ever hear is when you perform a hard reset. You hear a sound like it's abruptly halting a fan or something, I don't know.

Beyond that, I'm happy to say I have no idea what my xbox one sounds like god forbid if it ever got noisy.

Hanmik

My xbox one has been super quiet since launch. I've literally never heard it beyond the moment when I first turn it on and hear a slight hum of fan (or maybe it's the hard drive making the sound I'm thinking of) then nothing after that, even while gaming. The loudest sound I ever hear is when you perform a hard reset. You hear a sound like it's abruptly halting a fan or something, I don't know.

Beyond that, I'm happy to say I have no idea what my xbox one sounds like god forbid if it ever got noisy.

Launch..? did you get one at launch..? I thought some unfortunate events forced you to wait..? if you did, very cool for you.

gloriousd

Neo Member
It is a widespread issue in "tier 2" launch, kinectless consoles. I'm not returning mine to the store only because I've heard that it is impossible to get one without the issue. I'm glad that this thread was made, because most of gaming media seem to ignore this issue and I would like to hear Microsoft's official stance on the matter.

IMmoRTalis

Neo Member
I am glad someone made a thread about this. I bought the console 4 days ago and it has the same problem.

The first time I heard this noise was during the System Update. Every time the hard drive is close to idle I can hear this buzzing/static noise, just like a 90's HDD. I can hear this sound only when I am on dashboard, but when I play a game it stops. I noticed that it is also making that noise even when the console is turned off while in Active-On mode and you are downloading something. If there is nothing downloading and the console is off you can only hear a noise like a ticking clock.

I dont think it has anything to do with the kinectless Xbox Ones. I think there is something wrong with the power supply and the HDD. It just happens that in some cases when you have the Kinect plugged-in the console consumpts more power and that's why it stops making the noise. For example this video is from a year ago, but this guy has the Kinect plugged-in : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skqwBNGH8VU

I called MS support and they told me they are aware of this problem and that if I replace my console there is a big chance thet the new one will have the same problem, so they said it is better to send it in for repairs.

gloriousd

Neo Member
Apart from that - the power brick has a fan so this might be also the source of the strange sounds.

No, it's not the power brick, nor the disc drive. I've never even used it in the first place. It's the hard drive going crazy when the console is idle (idle = no game is open). Actually, that's why it's so annoying, when you're playing games this "chirping" does not matter, you mostly hear the game...

jacobeid

Banned
I had to return two kinectless Xboxes to find one without this problem.

The console that worked included a dead controller and HDMI cable. Microsoft QC can go to hell.

Edit: my consoles made the noise in the dash and when running both digital and retail titles.

Lucifon

yeap, that's the noise. Here's a better a example of that noise: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60458917/Audio/Squealing.mp3

My housemate's Xbone does a similar thing I believe, he didn't even notice it, it was me who mentioned it when walking past it as I realised mine didn't make the noise. He had no idea what I was talking about when I brought it up. His console is a launch Kinect one.

Seems some consoles make little noises like this, but I wouldn't worry too much probably just a minor difference in manufacturing. Mine is completely quiet it's ghostly silent.

gloriousd

Neo Member
yeap, that's the noise. Here's a better a example of that noise: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60458917/Audio/Squealing.mp3

Yup, that's exactly the noise I'm experiencing. Just to give you an idea how loud it is in a living room - you can hear it over the PS4's fan when a game is on.

BUT the console becomes completely silent once you start a game.

Just to clarify, I've bought the XO in Poland last week.

One of the biggest Polish "technology" websites is covering this story - http://pclab.pl/news59511.html

Goron2000

best junior ever
Oh, i have this. Got my Xbox One last week and just thought it was normal. Do you guys think it'll be a problem in the future?

I apologize if it seems I was trying to "downplay" if that's what it seems like, but I have many real life friends with an XB1 who've unplugged the Kinect before and I have not heard even once before today about this issue. I'm not saying my situation equals the world, but it's obvious if this was apart of a larger trend that more threads would pop up about it and there would be much more outrage.

I mean seriously, do you really believe that no one with a Kinect version of Xbox One ever unplugged it until now? This isn't the first time we've heard of an hardware issue with the XB1/PS4 and up to this point they have not been a significant portion of the userbase. There will be a portion of the userbase that will experience such issues just as there has been with every console that's existed, but trying to pass this off as a RRoD/YLoD is ridiculous until we have more information.

There is no reason to make this seem like some type of larger trend when it is clearly not the case. We have people canceling pre orders for NO reason and that's a problem, these consoles are not fail proof and they have a warranty for a reason. If no one bought a console simply because a minority of users had a hardware issue then no one would own ANY console.

There is a small thread in the official XBOX SUPPORT FORUMS, it wouldn't even exist if there were never cases like these. Anyways, I have no interest in debating this topic with you as I'm not disagreeing with your specific statements, but rather the doom and gloom posts that have no basis. I'm also enjoying Destiny right now so there's also that :p.

Sorry to hear about those affected, hopefully the warranty will smooth these issues if a software update doesn't. I just don't see how people can compare this to the RROD or YLOD at this point there's no basis to make such statements. It would be closer to the BLOD or Best Buy issue for the time being if anything. Cancelling pre orders is not necessary. This type of overreaction is prevalent in so many threads, when people are not fully informed.

First of all, nobody is cancelling preorders. Thisisneogaf.jpg and people are prone to hypebole.

Secondly, everyone here and in other forums with this issue have a resonably working console, so by default you cannot compare this to the BSOD or YLOD, which no one with sense would do.

That all said, its an issue. How much of an issue depends on the individual. My friend has no problem with the sound, she thinks im being anal and far as I can tell its only a problem when the console is on the dashboard anyway.

Likewise, if you are upgrading from a 360, you probably wouldn't see this a big thing either. Frame of reference is a big thing here. Im one of the minute few that even find the PS4 too loud. I spent over the odds with my gaming PC, simply because when I want something silent in 2014 I mean silent.

Right now we have 3 possibilites here.

1)This is a issue caused by firmware with some consoles without Kinect. Easily fixed in firmware but awareness needs to be raised for this to happen.

2) Hardware defect in newer consoles that needs to either taken back to the retailer or sent back to Microsoft. Problem here is there are significant batches with the same problem and an exchange at a retailer is no guarantee that the problem wont reoccur.

3) Given the spread of responses, a mixture of 1 and 2. This is the most worrying scenario as it will be harder to pin down exactly what is wrong and who just needs to wait for a firmware update, and who needs new hardware.

Bottom line is this:- as I can tell so far, this is not indicative of a larger problem and it is something you can learn to live with. However, it is worth discussing because there are potential buyers and new buyers who will be put off if word of mouth gets around that Xbox one consoles have a issue that Microsoft is not addressing. This is the only area where this issue could be compared to the early days of the RROD. Once we begin to have definitive answers to hand, people can make more informed decisions.

Once its in the public eye a bit more I expect Microsoft to be far more forthcoming than in the 360 days.

Daniel R

Oh, i have this. Got my Xbox One last week and just thought it was normal. Do you guys think it'll be a problem in the future?

Until Microsoft reveals the cause, we won't know if it can be fixed with a software update. I suggest you replace or get your console repaired. You should not have to put up with that noise.
It would have barely been bearable if the noise was only there at the dashboard when idle, but now you get the noise while running apps like Netflix and web browser.
People are reporting having to turn the volume up to drown out the noise while watching movies.

It also makes the noise even when turned off in instant power-on mode. That alone tells you something is not right.

gloriousd

Neo Member
It's true, affected consoles are fully functional. However this sound is worrying because we don't know what's the cause and as a result how it will affect each console in the long run. It's annoying for some people, there's that too. It is also quite possible that this issue is limited to a batch of consoles.

I think it would be nice to get some kind of information from Microsoft.

gloriousd

Neo Member
Sure, the device "works" but not as intended. I don't want, nor should I be expected to, turn up my volume to drown out the sound of a console in a "powered down" state.

Of course you are right but I'm afraid the fact that the console "works" is the reason we still have no official confirmation from Microsoft. I have one of the loud consoles sitting under my TV so I'm as eager as anyone to know what to do with it or at least that a solution is coming.

Timmay

Banned

I was all digital. No disc. It's not coming from the power brick. It's coming from something in the upper right-hand portion of the console.

What's amazing to me is how many people admit to having this issue now who thought it was how the console was supposed to be. Hopefully now that we're illuminating the issue more and more people will seek help for it from MS and they'll finally be forced to do something about it.

Also not sure why people are so skeptical of my Amazon/Target claim. If you really wanted something, would you not keep attempting to get it? It's not like it's difficult to get replacements from Amazon. You buy something, it's broken, you call Amazon and they overnight another. Simple. I did that 4 times. All 4 consoles were defective. With Target I returned it three times before they requested I take a refund. I really wanted to get a functioning unit from Target because it was during the recent Cartwheel sale (15 percent off the console from Cartwheel plus 10 percent movers coupon plus 5 percent off from a Target CC). I got the console for just under 299 dollars.

jacobeid

Banned
Of course you are right but I'm afraid the fact that the console "works" is the reason we still have no official confirmation from Microsoft. I have one of the loud consoles sitting under my TV so I'm as eager as anyone to know what to do with it or at least that a solution is coming.

Yeah my post definitely directed at MS, not you.

Like the poster above me I also bought my console using the cartwheel coupon at target. I needed to go to a different target to find one that worked.

First of all, nobody is cancelling preorders. Thisisneogaf.jpg and people are prone to hypebole.

Secondly, everyone here and in other forums with this issue have a resonably working console, so by default you cannot compare this to the BSOD or YLOD, which no one with sense would do.

That all said, its an issue. How much of an issue depends on the individual. My friend has no problem with the sound, she thinks im being anal and far as I can tell its only a problem when the console is on the dashboard anyway.

Likewise, if you are upgrading from a 360, you probably wouldn't see this a big thing either. Frame of reference is a big thing here. Im one of the minute few that even find the PS4 too loud. I spent over the odds with my gaming PC, simply because when I want something silent in 2014 I mean silent.

Right now we have 3 possibilites here.

1)This is a issue caused by firmware with some consoles without Kinect. Easily fixed in firmware but awareness needs to be raised for this to happen.

2) Hardware defect in newer consoles that needs to either taken back to the retailer or sent back to Microsoft. Problem here is there are significant batches with the same problem and an exchange at a retailer is no guarantee that the problem wont reoccur.

3) Given the spread of responses, a mixture of 1 and 2. This is the most worrying scenario as it will be harder to pin down exactly what is wrong and who just needs to wait for a firmware update, and who needs new hardware.

Bottom line is this:- as I can tell so far, this is not indicative of a larger problem and it is something you can learn to live with. However, it is worth discussing because there are potential buyers and new buyers who will be put off if word of mouth gets around that Xbox one consoles have a issue that Microsoft is not addressing. This is the only area where this issue could be compared to the early days of the RROD. Once we begin to have definitive answers to hand, people can make more informed decisions.

Once its in the public eye a bit more I expect Microsoft to be far more forthcoming than in the 360 days.

Precisely. Your post states that we don't know what it is exactly yet. It may be software, but perhaps it just the hardware. We NEED more info before even coming close to claiming something is as widespread as RRoD or YLoD, cancelling pre orders or saying "not again."

It may be hyperbole from some posters, but it gives a very negative impression in comparison to what we actually know HAS occurred at this point and time. We don't really know what the repercussions of these noises will be outside of just the actual sound.

The RRoD was a very widespread hardware failure issue that had a lot of backlash for good reason, hyperbole or not, that is a very serious analogy to make.

The (Dutch) comments below the Youtube video in the OP surprised me at how common this problem seems to be: at least a dozen cases, with many having exchanged consoles already at the retailer in vain. The problem may be related to particular batches of consoles.

You'd think a problem this noticeable would've been covered in the media a lot more. I don't get it.

Because dependant on your frame of reference, you could see this as a big issue or not.

As many have said. Once you are in a game, its not a problem. Compared to the 360, it is not a problem, overall noise level when measured by a decibel meter is not unreasonably high.

However it is a annoying noise and will grate on alot of people. It also could a case that this is mostly effecting tier 2 countries as the console just launched there.

Also as others have pointed out, having kinect plugged in for some reason masks the problem. This would another reason why this news is only trickling out slowly.

Top Bottom