• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Xboxnoise - Kinectless Xbox Ones may have a problem?

JP

So are they going to be using those "Better With Kinect" badges again, this time on the actual consoles?

New002

This has been an issue since launch. Both my console and power supply produce an audible noise, with the noise of the console being louder when on the dashboard vs in a game. How loud the sounds are vary from Xbox One user to Xbox One user. I only know one other friend with an Xbox One and theirs is louder than mine. I would really love to check out the system of someone that has a "totally silent" system so I can really compare.

Calabi

Listen to this once again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZzPbxvT_o

My interpretation
At 0:42 to 0:51 the hd flushes some buffers to disk. (this one really sounds like a hd)
After 0:52 some defrag or indexer starts running wild.

I dont know I've never heard a HD sound like that(but maybe because I havent heard a HD in a while). I still think it could be a fan spinning up and down, have you tried the Xbox in different positions, or putting pressure on parts of it. If it is the hard drive then I doubt its healthy for it long term.

Listen to this once again:

My interpretation
At 0:42 to 0:51 the hd flushes some buffers to disk. (this one really sounds like a hd)
After 0:52 some defrag or indexer starts running wild.

Sure, I can hear that when I get right next to it, but it's practically inaudible just a foot or two away. Of course it's making some noise, it has moving parts inside. My Xbox 360 does as well, not to mention my PC.

If the noise is loud on your unit, however, then it's definitely an issue.

This is barely on topic *but* does leaving kinect attached now rob you of 10% performance, or do you get the boost anyway. I mean surely games like Destiny aren't going to lower their res when you have kinect attached are they.

Entrecôte;129145907 said:
This is barely on topic *but* does leaving kinect attached now rob you of 10% performance, or do you get the boost anyway. I mean surely games like Destiny aren't going to lower their res when you have kinect attached are they.

It makes no difference whether Kinect is attached or not, every unit gets the boost.

big_z

It sounds like a fan spinning to slowly. Oscillating on its axis, not set right, or hitting something. I doubt a hard drive would make noise like that.

its not fan noise, that would have a consistent noise pattern.

this is definitely coil/capacitor whine. its pretty common with pc's, and typically it happens when something is being over rendered. for example the first crysis pre-patch would render the logo fmvs at crazy high frame rates and it would cause the noise.

as someone mentioned earlier in the thread it is possible to stop the noise by applying glue/varnish/etc. to the trouble coils however that voids warranty. luckily this is something that Microsoft should be able to fix in a firmware update. people need to spam them to make sure they know its a top priority to get fixed.

Bastardo

If the noise is loud on your unit, however, then it's definitely an issue.

I don't have a xbox one and I also don't judge, whether it is an issue or not.
I'm just damn curious to know what exactly it is.

Edit:
this is definitely coil/capacitor whine.

If it is coil whine, how do you explain the fact that people say it occured only after a firmware upgrade? My money is still on hd. Does really nobody want to void the warranty to check?^^

It makes no difference whether Kinect is attached or not, every unit gets the boost.

Yes I had assumed this was the case, but just saw some stupid website claims so wanted to double check ;)

this is definitely coil/capacitor whine. its pretty common with pc's, and typically it happens when something is being over rendered. for example the first crysis pre-patch would render the logo fmvs at crazy high frame rates and it would cause the noise.

as someone mentioned earlier in the thread it is possible to stop the noise by applying glue/varnish/etc. to the trouble coils however that voids warranty. luckily this is something that Microsoft should be able to fix in a firmware update. people need to spam them to make sure they know its a top priority to get fixed.

After switching from Destiny to another game last night for the first time I heard the main system fan at full rpm. What a beast! If that thing kept on more than a few minutes I expect the room would have started to lift off, it dwarfs 360s and slims alike.

Was just a weird glitch however, went back down again after a minute.

Gamble

Damn I was debating on picking up an XB1 from Target on my lunch break today but this has me a little worried now.....

Not necessarily, I've had plenty of weird issues with fans in my PC, including one that sounded pretty much like this, only louder.

DVD drives can also produce similar sounds with some discs, but this occurs even with no disc in the drive, so that's not it.

big_z

If it is coil whine, how do you explain the fact that people say it occured only after a firmware upgrade? My money is still on hd. Does really nobody want to void the warranty to check?^^

sometimes firmware updates have bugs that can break previously working aspects.

Bastardo

sometimes firmware updates have bugs that can break previously working aspects.

That's not what I meant. What I meant was: Coilwhine is a hardware issue. It cannot really be influenced by a firmware upgrade.

Now before everybody shouts: YES IT COULD.

Yes, it could, it's true. In the unlikely event that the firmware upgrade for example contained a new sleep mode for the CPU, the coil voltage could be different after the firmware upgrade and due to the different voltage a whine could be there.

Imho the harddisk / idle process theory is more likely.

What's confusing to me is the varying descriptions of this sound we're getting. With the Kinect unplugged my console makes a sound similar to a hard drive being kind of noisy when reading/writing. It's hard to describe that sound, but if you've heard it you know it. It's certainly something most people would call minor, and there is no way you could hear it with any sort of white noise in the room.

But others are describing a "whine", which sounds nothing like what I've heard. So I suspect we could have different things going on here, and people are lumping them all together.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I had to exchange my launch unit. The second system was fairly loud for a day then went quiet. It was definitely the big fan on the top of the system.

Yka

Update to post #77.

YouTuber called Sir Avalon from Netherlands had this to say on YouTube comments section:

"i Found the problem. Its called Coil Whine (Coil Noise). Its a defecte coil on the mailboard (at the right lower corner under the heatsink).

On this Image on the top left, just right above the E.

It is resonating and reacts to processor load. This is why when you play a game the sound is changes or even is gone.

Fix is to put superglue on it, But then you will lose your warranty. (and is a hell of a job to do) if you have warranty, send it back to Microsoft."

I asked for more information...

"Hi! Thanks for the info about Xbox One noise issue. Could you tell more about your research. You opened the case and located the noise source? When did you buy your Xbox One? American or European model? Is the noise still there, if the Kinect is connected to the console? Are you 100% sure about this?"

...and he just responded:

"Hi, yep i opened up the housing. Thinking it was the HDD but then i discovered that the noise came from under the heatsink. Its an European model bought on sept 5 (releasedate of one in Holland). When i touch the coil with my fingers the sound is almost gone."

What do you think?

More Xbox One noise videos: 1. Xbox One noise, 2. Xbox One noise problem, 3. Xbox One noise without Kinect & 4. Xbox One noise

atomsk

Party Pooper
Sure, I can hear that when I get right next to it, but it's practically inaudible just a foot or two away. Of course it's making some noise, it has moving parts inside. My Xbox 360 does as well, not to mention my PC.

Smartphone microphones are not as sensitive as the human ear. I was getting 60-70db on a decibel app, that is certainly out of range from what it's supposed to be.

I can assure you this is audible from across the room. I even went down the hallway a little bit.

It's the pitch more than anything.

Launch..? did you get one at launch..? I thought some unfortunate events forced you to wait..? if you did, very cool for you.

Yea, I got my titanfall bundle in April, but I still call it launch since it was still pretty close to release.

So, correction, April. :)

Edit:: Plus I would assume there aren't many differences between a titanfall bundle that came out so soon after launch and the launch units, but maybe I'm wrong.

What's confusing to me is the varying descriptions of this sound we're getting. With the Kinect unplugged my console makes a sound similar to a hard drive being kind of noisy when reading/writing. It's hard to describe that sound, but if you've heard it you know it. It's certainly something most people would call minor, and there is no way you could hear it with any sort of white noise in the room.

But others are describing a "whine", which sounds nothing like what I've heard. So I suspect we could have different things going on here, and people are lumping them all together.

That's the impression I got as well, some of these recordings sound nothing alike.

I just bought an Xbox One on Sunday, and mine too has this "coily" noise to it. It's very faint though and tbh, I hardly notice it unless I'm intentionally trying to hear it. As long as it doesn't effect the console or software itself, I'm fine with it.

Plus I have two kids running around all the time drowning everything out anyway lol.

Timmay

Banned
Update to post #77.

YouTuber called Sir Avalon from Netherlands had this to say on YouTube comments section:

"i Found the problem. Its called Coil Whine (Coil Noise). Its a defecte coil on the mailboard (at the right lower corner under the heatsink).

It is resonating and reacts to processor load. This is why when you play a game the sound is changes or even is gone.

Fix is to put superglue on it, But then you will lose your warranty. (and is a hell of a job to do) if you have warranty, send it back to Microsoft."

"Hi! Thanks for the info about Xbox One noise issue. Could you tell more about your research. You opened the case and located the noise source? When did you buy your Xbox One? American or European model? Is the noise still there, if the Kinect is connected to the console? Are you 100% sure about this?"

"Hi, yep i opened up the housing. Thinking it was the HDD but then i discovered that the noise came from under the heatsink. Its an European model bought on sept 5 (releasedate of one in Holland). When i touch the coil with my fingers the sound is almost gone."

What do you think?

More Xbox One noise videos: 1. Xbox One noise, 2. Xbox One noise problem, 3. Xbox One noise without Kinect & 4. Xbox One noise

As I figured, this doesn't appear to be something that can be fixed with a firmware update. I still can't believe MS didn't know about this before releasing thousands more of these things into Europe/Asia/South America as well as continuing to sell known defective units in the US and UK for months.

Zing

Banned
Listening to those recordings, it sounds like my PC hard drive from 1998 when I would run defrag. That is completely unacceptable.

Okay so hears my question. If you decide to return it to the store you bought it at (say you purchased it recently) who's to say you won't just get another one with the same issue?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Could this turn out to be Xbone's RROD? How significant an issue is 'Coil Whine' vis-à-vis reliability?

Pretty incredible that MS would let something like this happen again, though. I would have thought that their QC would have been absolutely watertight.

Zing

Banned
Okay so hears my question. If you decide to return it to the store you bought it at (say you purchased it recently) who's to say you won't just get another one with the same issue?
MS support. :D

But yeah. At this point it seems you should either just deal with the sound, or get a refund.

atomsk

Party Pooper

That's exactly why I haven't gone back to Best Buy yet. I'm sure they're all the same batch

gloriousd

Neo Member
Update to post #77.

What do you think?

I really hoped that software/firmware was the issue... I will have to send my console for repair/replacement. I used the code for Forza so I doubt the shop will replace my unit. :(

Could this turn out to be Xbone's RROD? How significant an issue is 'Coil Whine' vis-à-vis reliability?

Pretty incredible that MS would let something like this happen again, though. I would have thought that their QC would have been absolutely watertight.

We've had no reliability issues reported with either of the new consoles. I don't know why you're even making that leap.

MS support. :D

But yeah. At this point it seems you should either just deal with the sound, or get a refund.

True, forgot about MS Support (sorry, running on 2 hrs of sleep here and at work) :p. However - what if even MS's supply has the same issue?

I think we need some sort of official word from MS. Whatever the case may be, please do not let this turn into another RROD-esque fiasco.

That's exactly why I haven't gone back to Best Buy yet. I'm sure they're all the same batch

Yea, I agree completely. I finally got all acquainted to the UI, got my games installed, everything setup - and just to blow it all away, start over again all while taking a chance if a new unit would "fix" the issue.

Alright.

on dashboard 0:53
launching game 1:47

Lot 1432X
Manufacture Date: 5-12-2014

Okay, this video does a very good job of showcasing the issue. I'm guessing if it really is the coil thing some are referring to, then no firmware update can fix that I suppose.

Would be curious to know how widespread this issue is, as don't want to jump to conclusions and assume it's a tremendous number of folks. Could be a limited number of units or more than that, but time will tell.

We've had no reliability issues reported with either of the new consoles. I don't know why you're even making that leap.

Yea, seems to just be a noise issue, not a case of the system somehow not working or dying. Hardly worth comparing to RROD where your console is literally fucked. :p

Nah, in the end the console still functions. Though I guess it also depends on how many people will send the thing back to MS for this and how widespread it really is. But even then it's cheaper to fix this then the RROD which required them to replace the entire motherboard at the repair centre most of the time, though it won't do them much good in terms of consumer faith.

Timmay

Banned
True, forgot about MS Support (sorry, running on 2 hrs of sleep here and at work) :p. However - what if even MS's supply has the same issue?

I think we need some sort of official word from MS. Whatever the case may be, please do not let this turn into another RROD-esque fiasco.

My understanding of coil whine is that it's an annoyance and not a sign that a device is dying. Unfortunately for me it was so bad that it did render my console unusable because I couldnt stand the noise.

Top Bottom