• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 PC performance thread

Aaron D.

Well that's awfully nice of them to throw us a bone a month after launch, after going completely dark.

Just been sitting on my pre-loaded game, waiting for something to happen.

samn

Well that's awfully nice of them to throw us a bone a month after launch, after going completely dark.

Just been sitting on my pre-loaded game, waiting for something to happen.

They didn't go 'completely dark'.

They released a hotfix, a couple weeks ago they acknowledged there were further issues to be fixed in an upcoming patch, and Jake Solomon has said he intends to nerf mimic beacons and take another look at some of the pause timers.

Aaron D.

Well I'm sorry for being punchy, I've just run out of patience on the matter.

It's funny, during launch week I was all like, "Hey, stuff happens. They'll roll out some patches and all the performance issues will be cleared up in due time. No biggie."

But as the weeks have rolled on without a whiff of info outside of, "We've heard 'a few' reports of issues...We're looking into it.", I've just kind of moved on.

Still looking forward to playing my first campaign from my pre-order copy. Some day.

Vitor711

Huh, not too much it seems in real optimization, only half-solutions like changing default settings, and reducing max settings :/ Will wait on impressions.

Yeah, that really doesn't seem like much of a patch. More like a hot-fix that should have made it out a week or so after launch.

So... any impressions from performance with the new patch?
It works great if you've got a modded BaseEngine.INI file. The only problem I have is that it might've broken some compatibility with the Remove Missing Mods mod, assuming I'm interpreting the intended behavior correctly.

Lime

Are there any way to disable the HUD / UI? I can't get the ToggleUIVisibility function that worked in the first game to function.

Jack John

How's the performance on this these days? With it on sale 45 percent off was thinking of picking it up. Loved the first. Would love a 60 + framerate experience at 1440p.

I have a Titan X P.

How's the performance on this these days? With it on sale 45 percent off was thinking of picking it up. Loved the first. Would love a 60 + framerate experience at 1440p.

I have a Titan X P.

I'd imagine you'll be fine. I play on a new gaming laptop that has an i7-6700HQ and GTX 1060 at the high preset (I cranked up texture resolution and filtering to maximum as well), it's mostly 60fps. It can dip into low 50's at my base and the transportation/loading screens go down to about 45, but gameplay is pretty solid 60fps with very minor dips at 1080p resolution.

I just bought the game a few days ago, though, so haven't gotten really far into the game or seen the full range of content, but I think if my laptop is holding up well, I'd imagine a Titan X P is gonna do fine, even at 1440p.

Knowing long shot here, but they didn't patch in (non steam) controller support alongside the console release, did they? Been looking for someone on PC to confirm.

I have a Titan X P.

The game doesn't require all that much graphics grunt outside some scenes and using MSAA/SSAO. Having a fast overclocked i7 is what you really need to avoid the annoying drops in this game.

Hmm would a 4770k at 4.5 do?
I have a 4790@4.4ghz and a 1080. 1080p is fine for 60fps and highest settings but MSAA hurts the frames (though I think 2xMSAA is okay) and specific effects do such as fires and debris from an explosion. Debris will knock up to 20 frames off but the frames come back because the debris disappears over time. The fires usually found in Retaliation missions will knock off 3 or 4 per fire visible.
Another way to view it is if I play in 4K the frame rate is the same so it seems cpu bound.

Top Bottom