• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 PC performance thread

Yes that is also double buffered vsync

If you want triple buffered vsync enable borderless fullscreen

Wouldn't the triple buffering option in Nvidia Control Panel work too?

Also, this is easily one of the shittiest-performing games I've played in quite a while. Constant stutter whenever a unit moves, occasional drops below 20fps when a unit emerges from cover to fire, atrocious hardware utilization (GPU usage never goes above 90% in missions, CPU usage sees random spikes to 90-100% during benign scenarios, which never occurs in any other game). Gotta wonder how much worse it would've been if they didn't delay it.

Megabat

I just started (I'm about an hour in). On an i5-6600K + 2GB Nvidia 960, I got just under 30FPS on medium (w/ FXAA) at 1440p, 50FPS at 1080. Neither part is overclocked. CPU usage hung around 60%, GPU was fully loaded.

So, there's probably some room for improvement, but I'm quite happy with 1440Hz30p. I may not qualify to say this after only an hour, but: XCOM 2 rules, people.

I just started (I'm about an hour in). On an i5-6600K + 2GB Nvidia 960, I got just under 30FPS on medium (w/ FXAA) at 1440p, 50FPS at 1080. Neither part is overclocked. CPU usage hung around 60%, GPU was fully loaded.

So, there's probably some room for improvement, but I'm quite happy with 1440Hz30p. I may not qualify to say this after only an hour, but: XCOM 2 rules, people.

You should be able to get stable 60fps at 1080p if you disable post fx and lower occlusion to Tile AO plus shadows on medium. Antialiasing will cost you 10fps even on fxaa.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

I have a similiar GPU except more VRAM (4gb r9 380) but I only get around 35 fps on medium settings in 1080 with no AA. The problem is that without AA I have these weird graphical glitches but when I turn AA to MSAA my framerate drops to the twenties. I'm basically stuck playing in 720p and medium settings if I don't want graphical glitches and a playable framerate. But even then I only get around 30 fps in the base.

I only have a i5 4460 but I doubt the cpu makes that much of a difference.

For comparison I can play Battlefront on max settings with up to 60 fps and Witcher on high setting with up to 50 fps.

I don't get it.

LiK

this is so weird, the framerate seems to be better during their jump outta the plane when you have a full roster. not sure why.

also, why is the return to ship loading sooooo long after a mission? i'm on SSD and it feels like it's loading on consoles. i guess it needs to load a lot of shit in the Avenger screen but holy shit, i wish it was faster.

EmSeta

this is so weird, the framerate seems to be better during their jump outta the plane when you have a full roster. not sure why.

also, why is the return to ship loading sooooo long after a mission? i'm on SSD and it feels like it's loading on consoles. i guess it needs to load a lot of shit in the Avenger screen but holy shit, i wish it was faster.

It must be a bug. Initially loading the geoscape/base from a save is super quick. I can't think of a reason why returning to base should take 10x longer.

I noticed that exiting the geoscape normally causes a small stutter. Very short but noticeable. If I exit the geoscape by clicking a quick link, like to say promote a soldier, it is instant and fluid.

I think I would love a mod that just lets you get to any menu without leaving the geoscape, but just as good if I can quick jump to anything from the geoscape.

red731

Doesn't that cause performance problems for PC

May cause. Haven't for me. Used that on my ancient PC to put more performance in the soft I needed to fun some frames faster.

Just read on the xcom subreddit, that you can speed up load times for missions and back to base significantly by pressing CapsLock during the loading screen. Sounds weird, but a lot of people say it works.

Read that too. Could be placebo or Unreal-FU.

Just read on the xcom subreddit, that you can speed up load times for missions and back to base significantly by pressing CapsLock during the loading screen. Sounds weird, but a lot of people say it works.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

this sounds like a hot lot of placebo BS, but i guess its worth a try!

I noticed that locking the game to 30 fps made the after mission load in the Skyranger take way, way longer. Might have been a coincidence (I went back to 60 right afterward) but it wouldn't be the first game I've seen where loading time is tied to frame rate.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Ummm..wtf, I read your comment the second I started going back to base, then I refocused the window on XCOM, pressed capslock, and it finished loading. Ummmm...I'm going to have to try that again to make sure it wasn't a fluke hahaha

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I guess this is probably why they delayed the game. My game runs more or less fine, but there seems to be a lot of people with issues.

If that's the trade off for how much more destructible the environments are, then so be it. It's too much fun :)

LiK

WTF, this is weird. i will try it tho even tho i'm almost done with the game. already connected every region, haha

i've been playing it almost nonstop all weekend.

It was mentioned somewhere that the highlight that appears whenever you aim a grenade can cause framedrops. Was getting drops to sub-20fps, and GPU usage dropping to 10-20% when aiming the blaster launcher around certain areas.

LiK

OMG, i tried the Capslock method and it actually made returning to base loading instant! this is insanity. what a strange thing.

I forgot to try the capslock thing the other night... bah.

The grenade/aoe aiming drops I can confirm, though. Didn't really think about what was causing it until now. I think I conflated it with the fire effects that appear when you hit with grenades. Maybe it's both though... (on a 970.)

LiK

so glad someone figured this out cuz that loading screen was driving me crazy. must be a bug where it's supposed to instantly let you go back but it doesn't.

Samaritan

How many people are having lengthy pauses (3-4 seconds) between turns or enemies initiating actions? I don't recall anything taking remotely as long in Enemy Unknown, but for some reason this game will take its sweet time calculating actions, longer than it should be it seems.

I know I've seen that some people are having this issue, but I don't know how widespread it is. Is this just pretty much how the game is for everyone?

I have an i5 6600K, 980 Ti, running on Windows 10, with the game installed to an SSD.

tauke

so glad someone figured this out cuz that loading screen was driving me crazy. must be a bug where it's supposed to instantly let you go back but it doesn't.

The Caps Lock method surprise me too when since I monitor my CPU, RAM, GPU and the VRAM usage and it takes it sweet time while pressing Caps Lock immediately shoot up the RAM/VRAM usage by a huge margin.

How many people are having lengthy pauses (3-4 seconds) between turns or enemies initiating actions? I don't recall anything taking remotely as long in Enemy Unknown, but for some reason this game will take its sweet time calculating actions, longer than it should be it seems.

I know I've seen that some people are having this issue, but I don't know how widespread it is. Is this just pretty much how the game is for everyone?

The worst part is when you are rescuing civilians and it takes really long too during the enemies turn which you can see the CPU usage spike around 70-100% for quite a while on my 4770K @ 4.2GHz.

Samaritan

The worst part is when you are rescuing civilians and it takes really long too during the enemies turn which you can see the CPU usage spike around 70-100% for quite a while on my 4770K @ 4.2GHz.

I'm literally in the middle of a rescuing civilians mission and the enemy turns are taking absurdly long. Sectoids reanimating corpses seems to take an inordinately long amount of time too.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I tried the caps lock thing and I can't believe it actually works. The whole screen freezes for a hot second, and then its immediately done. What is going on in this game?

LiK

whats this caps lock thing?

when you finish a mission and are in the Returning to Base loading screen in the ship, press Caps Lock and the screen will freeze for a sec and loading is done. no need to sit there and wait for like a minute anymore.

Falk

that puzzling face
List of things you can't believe are in video games: Capslock skips (apparently) an arbitrary/needless time-wasting scene.

I swear if I see that knee-slap-with-both-hands-and-goofy-grin animation one more time.

Firebrand

I have an i5 6600K, 980 Ti, running on Windows 10, with the game installed to an SSD.
Yeah there's a lot of weird pauses. I think this game might have some threading issues.

Another thing I hate is that effects happen out of the order. I ordered a soldier to dash through a window and door and they got opened/smashed long before my soldier got there. Same thing happens when destroying cover, cover gets destroyed before the shot is fired.

Hopeford

The game runs perfectly fine here(660ti) during actual missions, but it's not exactly the snappiest thing in the skyranger and especially returning/going to missions(when soldiers walk out of the skyranger) seems to REALLY slow the game down to like 5-10 frames for some reason,

LiK

List of things you can't believe are in video games: Capslock skips (apparently) an arbitrary/needless time-wasting scene.

I swear if I see that knee-slap-with-both-hands-and-goofy-grin animation one more time.

haha, thought I was the only one annoyed by it. I accidentally lost one guy from reaching the evac and they actually looked sadder which was a nice touch. I reloaded.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when you finish a mission and are in the Returning to Base loading screen in the ship, press Caps Lock and the screen will freeze for a sec and loading is done. no need to sit there and wait for like a minute anymore.

lol it works

The Caps Lock trick is hilarious, but it seems to work better returning than heading out. And some people seem to think it makes things less stable. I've never had a crash in 40+ hours of XCOM 2, though, and I've been Caps Locking for probably a dozen of those.

I noticed that the return trip gets longer the more I play the game. Quite hilariously so.

Thanks for the capslock tip, I'll try next time!

I've gone from running on high without any issue, to dropping down to medium due to random issues that arise consistently.This is regardless of the quantity of what is on screen.

LiK

I used the auto-detect settings and the game has been smooth for me. no real issues. even the mission opening scenes are smooth now. way less stutter than beginning. kinda wondering if it's because of their early gear that was causing the issue. maybe the Warden gear is just less intensive? :p

They usually take a while before getting a patch out, don't they? I seem to remember something like a month before we got a first patch in some of their older games.

Wow. That's completely unacceptable. They must have been aware of these issues before pushing it out anyway. There should have been fixes already in process.

Desaan

Let's be realistic, they knew the performance blew ass before they released it but another delay would of sent people off the edge. I wish they would just stop Frankensteining the god awful UE3 engine, Bethesda do the same with their own one. I don't know why, the games sell by the bucket load, cut corners, use shitty old engine, make more money? SMH

M.J. Doja

Banned
Good to know I'm not the only one with weird framerate drops in the ship. Game runs nicely while playing but transitions and loading times (game isnt installed on my SSD) will definitely wear me down eventually.

Let's be realistic, they knew the performance blew ass before they released it but another delay would of sent people off the edge. I wish they would just stop Frankensteining the god awful UE3 engine, Bethesda do the same with their own one. I don't know why, the games sell by the bucket load, cut corners, use shitty old engine, make more money? SMH

You know what? I'm convinced Firaxis can't even get the performance stable themselves. I doubt it will ever be fixed. Have you tried playing Enemy Unknown lately? It suffers from so many of the same issues to this day.
They are a pretty incompetent dev especially when it comes to PC it seems.

If I'm right, and this never gets fixed properly then I'll just buy the game when it's $5. That's the only way I can justify spending money on a PC exclusive game that runs like shit on PC. I didn't buy a 4ghz cpu and 980ti to play a game like this on low with frame drops.

Steam refund my friend

I have a high spec pc, and I know better than to think I can just brute force every game that comes out, that's fairly unrealistic

Was using over 5 gigs of gpu ram in one of the base buildings. I have a 390 so it isn't that big of a deal. I have everything max but I'm using no DoF and FXAA. They should have had an option to just use images for the rooms. I don't need to see soldiers exercising and crap.

I can see why some people have serious fps issues.

Top Bottom