• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown review thread

Lets hope to hell that the sales match the stellar reviews its getting. A Sequel like Terror from the Deep would be awesome.
My hope for sales is that XCOM: Enemy Unknown gets made and I get to play it. What's that? That's already happened? Well hot damn!!

Never forget that Civilization V was showered with praises and rave reviews too (89.11% at game rankings) and look at how it turned out. Granted Civ V was more or less crap in comparison to Civ IV, but I'll not put much faith in reviewers rating turn based strategy games fairly.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dang, this game now has my attention. I haven't given it much of a look yet since I haven't played the classic games and I typically don't play a lot of strategy games, but the unfamiliarity could be a good thing. I guess I should check out that demo on Steam....

Mafro

Never forget that Civilization V was showered with praises and rave reviews too (89.11% at game rankings) and look at how it turned out. Granted Civ V was more or less crap in comparison to Civ IV, but I'll not put much faith in reviewers rating turn based strategy games fairly.
Civ V was fantastic. What are you on about?

JebusF

Neo Member
If this doesn't sell, it'll be a fucking tragedy.

It's the best game I've played this year. Only just, but regardless, it's that good.

Take me back, xcom, take me back!

freshprincedance1mllm.gif

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'll second that. Civ V is a great game.

I loved it as well, though I can see where the people who didn't like it are coming from. With that said, Civ was/is an alive and breathing franchise, xcom has been brought back from the ages to what appears to be unbridled praise.

Thank you plexirvones, added to the op.

Romir

A better example would be Empire: Total War.

xenist

When looking in disbelief at the FPS all that time ago, who would have thought that this would happen?

And as for Civ games, even Civ 4 didn't become what it is before some time, patches and expansion content was released.

KKRT00

When looking in disbelief at the FPS all that time ago, who would have thought that this would happen?

And as for Civ games, even Civ 4 didn't become what it is before some time, patches and expansion content was released.

You know that FPS [now TPS] XCom is being made by different team, right?

JDSN

Banned
Still cant believe people considered this a PsN/xbola game.

Edit: but them again I remember a studio suit saying games like this werent viable.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im telling ya guys a F2P XCOM would make mad moneyz. MAD. MONEYZ.

You know that FPS [now TPS] XCom is being made by different team, right?

Pretty sure he just meant in disbelief that XCOM was finally revived, but only as an FPS.

Really impressed with the reviews, I bet Firaxis are stoked, and it looks like they deserve to be. I'm going to be playing this game the minute it unlocks on Steam tonight!

I'm guessing the main flaw, same as Civ V, is that a bunch of features that previously added to the depth have been removed wholesale to make the game more accessible. Normally I would cry foul, but honestly, a lot of the removals appear to be for the better, and like Civ V the game will likely be good enough for them not to matter anyway. Civ IV may be the better game, but V was definitely the better product, and it managed to get tons of people into Civ who will now line up for the next game.

Besides, they need to save some features for the Terror from the Deep remake

ekim

Gametrailers Review (written and no score yet)

XCOM: Enemy Unknown charges you with what amounts to a challenging dream job. Because you’re put in direct control of how the game progresses, you’ll experience the bracing feeling of being in charge.
The game performs and controls almost equally well on consoles as it does on a PC, and a range of difficulty levels makes the game reasonably accessible regardless of your mettle,
adjusting the way aliens engage on the battlefield you in addition to tweaking costs and damage values. It all amounts to a great victory.
XCOM makes a complicated design feel smoother and more elegant without losing the feel and nuance of the original work.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I'll be getting Dishonored once I've finished XCOM. Hopefully once I've finished Dishonored then Xenonauts will be ready. It's a glorious circle of life.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Speaking of that, can someone please remove the space between Neo and GAF in the OT title? It drives me crazy :(.

Put your glasses back on then we'll talk.

On topic : Really hope this sells well so we'll see kickass expansions or even better yet fully fledged sequels in the future.

PaulLFC

GamesTM - 9/10
Fresh, yet authentic – a stunning reboot

NowGamer PS3 - 9.4/10
XCOM: Enemy Unknown is easily one of the best games on PS3, and well worth your attention whether you like strategy games or not.

NowGamer 360 - 9.3/10
A gripping and open-ended strategy epic that tests the grey matter, not to mention nerves, like nothing else on the 360.

NowGamer PC - 9.0/10
The enemy of free time and social lives is here folks, we know all too well.

Desaan

Civ V and Shogun are my most played games on Steam, almost 200hrs on each. I think X-Com is about to blow that out of the water! :p

Corto

Nice. Really important now that the customers do their part. A big budget strategy game that is not Civilization or Starcraft with good sales could make a difference. I hope.

Talamius

Hopefully this shocks everyone and sells gangbusters. No one shall speak of that FPS abomination again. I'll be purchasing and preloading when I get home this evening.

Top Bottom