• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown review thread

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I am here to tell you, no matter how hype these reviews are the game is just better than that. We played ALL DAY yesterday. This brings me to another point. Strangely enough, this game is really good to play with groups. Me and some friends were all at the store playing. We each put in each other and other people we knew in the squad so that everyone in the place was heavily invested. We passed around the control on missions and brainstormed on base decisions. THere were actual turns where whoever was playing would drop the control and we would just discuss how to save someone, or who to sacrifice lol. It was great.

Dear Electronic Arts,

This is what you should have done with Syndicate.

i loved syndicate multiplayer..playing it solo..(lonewolf!!)single player campaign grated. i am glad syncidcate existed for that amazing solo experience..via multiplayer..besides, i don't think starbreeze had the pedigree to do a true syndicate reboot justice.

Phinor

Anyone else almost relying on XCOM (and Dishonored perhaps) to save their gaming year, as it were?

Pretty much. At the start of the year it was Mass Effect 3, Dishonored and possibly Bioshock Infinite for me. ME3 didn't quite deliver, Bioshock got delayed and XCOM was announced taking their place. There's been couple of very positive surprises along the way such as Legend of Grimrock and my GOTY so far, Sleeping Dogs, but Dishonored and now XCOM are what I've been waiting for the whole (gaming) year. I really hope they both deliver because this year has been, to be honest, quite a poor gaming year for me and there's nothing notable coming out after this week. Maybe Hitman, but the previews last week weren't exactly glowing.

In short: yes.

xenist

Anyone else almost relying on XCOM (and Dishonored perhaps) to save their gaming year, as it were?

Yup. As I said in another thread these two were my only absolute must haves for the rest of the year. And I'm overjoyed to see such a great reception to both of them. Everything else I had pinned my hopes on failed at some point. Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2 they were good to very good but each of them had some parts that kept me from going nuts about them. Even the pleasant surprises such as Sleeping Dogs were in the same category. I shall not speak of some other third part that also failed because it failed in a much larger capacity.

Hindle

Banned
Ign gave this an 8.2. The amount of games they have given high scores to that have no challenge, are linear, and are dumbed down to fuck number in the tens. Yet they give this an 8. Idiots.

Cheech

For the most part, yeah. The only new games I've thoroughly enjoyed this year have been Mass Effect 3 and Legend of Grimrock.

Ign gave this an 8.2. The amount of games they have given high scores to that have no challenge, are linear, and are dumbed down to fuck number in the tens. Yet they give this an 8. Idiots.

Their complaints boil down to "not enough hand holding". They should have had a PC-centric reviewer do this one, honestly. I would hate to see this reviewer's take on something like Arma II or even Civ.

For the most part, yeah. The only new games I've thoroughly enjoyed this year have been Mass Effect 3 and Legend of Grimrock.

Their complaints boil down to "not enough hand holding". They should have had a PC-centric reviewer do this one, honestly. I would hate to see this reviewer's take on something like Arma II or even Civ.

There some strong evidence that the reviewer also didn't even touch classic mode? That the monsters didn't move till found, unlike in classic where they will actually hunt you down from afar.

I dunno, I don't want to be one of those people prejudging reivews, but many, better reviewers have said completely different things.

matt05891

I'm so happy at these reviews. Finally I can play Xcom without my DOS emulator and based on what the reviewers say it will be amazing. I can't wait for steam to unlock it in a few hours.

doomquake

doesnt seem any russian mags got a review copy..or haven't done a review yet. but the country is pretty psyched for the game so i am sure it will be positive.

TTG

The Rock Paper Shotgun review is excellent, if anyone is wondering which one to read without having some stuff spoiled by 10 different articles.

Any reviews give an average estimated length?

It seems like a long game and I don't know if I can devote to it the time I would want to. What with GW2 having just been released.

Protein

Banned
Giantbomb
lol.gif

*Female soldier shoots way off and misses*

"WHAT THE FUCK."

"How do you even shoot like that?! How do you even get to be in this elite-amazing program??"

Female Soldier: "Failed to connect!"

"You failed to connect, NO SHIT."

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

It seems like a long game and I don't know if I can devote to it the time I would want to. What with GW2 having just been released.

I think that it's around 15-20ish hours on normal.

Dishonored review thread: 70,000+ views

Xcom Review Thread: 13,000+ views.

Dishonored OT: 150,000+ views

Xcom OT: 100,000 views

This better not be a sign of things to come. I want Xcom to do well. :(

Mupod

That RPS review has a really good point - if they recorded dialogue for other localizations, why not just let us pick from those for soldier voices? Like give a French soldier French dialogue so on so forth. It's not like they're saying anything important AT ALL, I mean I bet a lot of people will just turn the voices off after a while. Seems like an easy thing to mod, at least.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
That RPS review has a really good point - if they recorded dialogue for other localizations, why not just let us pick from those for soldier voices? Like give a French soldier French dialogue so on so forth. It's not like they're saying anything important AT ALL, I mean I bet a lot of people will just turn the voices off after a while. Seems like an easy thing to mod, at least.

oooh had no idea they had done this, sounds great. Yeah I think it's definitely something that's going to get modded in if that's the case.

JoeBoy101

About 20 hrs with the huge caveat that you can quite possible lose a playthrough. Its not something you might accidentally stumble across. If you play at normal its possible, and at classic, you'll be hard pressed to win.

Xcom will sell on the PC, I'm not sure Dishonored will do well anywhere.

graywolf323

the Dishonored review thread was up for almost a full day before XCOM's I believe

plus there has been more questions regarding whether Dishonored would be as good as it looked while XCOM I don't think there's been as much doubt about

Ceebs

xcom is selling better on PC, but I'm guessing it's going to bomb on consoles.

Yeah Xcom has been in the steam top 10 for over a month now. Dishonored just showed up.

It will probably be live Civ 5 and just keep selling good numbers for years on PC.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I wouldn't use GAF OT's as a barometer:

Valkyria Chronicles: 615,501 views

Medal of Honor: 86,372 views

That said, sales wise this isn't likely to be a heavyweight fight on either side, so I would keep my expectations rather down to earth.

Derrick01

Banned

Pretty much, this year has been all time bad. Games I like from this year:

Crusader Kings 2
Walking Dead (still has 2 episodes to go, could end up destroying the game for all I know)
Sleeping Dogs
Borderlands 2

That's it so far in 10 months. And I only thought SD and BL2 were good games, not great or legendary games. I've got a lot of hope into these 2 games, AC3 and Far Cry 3.

Corto

Yes. I won't expect a multi-millions sales juggernaut from Xcom or even Dishonored. But a respectable first month of 300kish NPD and great legs from PC seasonal/digital store specific rebates and sustained support from mods and expansions could make it a bright spot in terms of sales. At least I hope.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough. I haven't tried the demo and watched a minimal amount of media, I want as little as spoiled as possible.

Ceebs

Pretty much, this year has been all time bad. Games I like from this year:

Crusader Kings 2
Walking Dead (still has 2 episodes to go, could end up destroying the game for all I know)
Sleeping Dogs
Borderlands 2

That's it so far in 10 months. And I only thought SD and BL2 were good games, not great or legendary games. I've got a lot of hope into these 2 games, AC3 and Far Cry 3.

Add Torchlight 2 and Orcs Must Die 2 and you are pretty close to my list so far.

kirblar

For PC, sure, hit GMG, but that's with the caveat you plan to buy another game from them soon as you get $10 credit.
Just found it for $60 + $15 credit from Amazon, and I want to get the Cards Against Humanity expansion from them anyway.\

edit: Scratch that, they have it for $45 for a download! (I don't play TF2, so $5 for hats is of no use for me.)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
These are GOTY nominee reviews; I'll have to pick it up soon after launch. Just too broke right now, and haven't even really touched my copy of Borderlands 2 yet.

Play Torchlight 2

Top Bottom