• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown review thread

Hopefully this shocks everyone and sells gangbusters. No one shall speak of that FPS abomination again. I'll be purchasing and preloading when I get home this evening.

What was wrong with the FPS? I haven't played the original but the FPS looked quite interesting, i would probably have bought it.

derFeef

What was wrong with the FPS? I haven't played the original but the FPS looked quite interesting, i would probably have bought it.

Except serious vision and development issues I agree, looked interesting. It's a third person game now though, according to rumors/leaks.

JoeBoy101

*looks at review scores*

Come ONNNNNN, Tuesday! Let's do this!

1334697168053.gif

Nothing gets me interested in a game quite like universal critical acclaim. I will definitely be checking this out I think along with Dishonored.

Mupod

I DID like the design of the first enemies they showed off. The people complaining that they weren't Sectoids and Mutons, that made no sense to me. The series to me was never about those specific iconic aliens, having 'unknown enemies' is a lot more interesting. Can't say I cared for the lame humanoid ones they showed later though.

But yeah I didn't like the look of it from the start, probably because I don't like Bioshock very much. I kept picturing a static base where you got your upgrades from a vending machine or something. When they showed actual gameplay at E3 2011 they seemed to have taken a more Mass Effect approach (hey look these are totally not Husks) but it just didn't look interesting to me. The latest information on it...I guess it's Ghostbusters now? Meh.

I think Jake Solomon's description of the 'pillars' of x-com sums up why nobody seemed to care about the FPS. I bet that if they had destructibility, permadeath and a proper geoscape then people would not have been so repulsed, but I suppose they thought modern gamers were too dumb for that kind of stuff and went for scripted handholding instead. Hope XCOM proves them wrong.

Tu101uk

There's only one semi-major spoiler in that review.
You get a Hyperwave Beacon from raiding an alien base.
And, really, if you've seen the Achievements, you already knew that.
Which I haven't, so that's good... ;D (Still dunno what's under that spoiler)

I didn't even watch the whole video, just skipped to the end score. I'll watch it proper after I've played the game (like usually do with GT video reviews)...

installing demo after great review on game informer (sorry-made it sound amazing)- excited to see If I will *Also be getting this along with Dishonored tomorrow

Sounds fucking amazing. It's been sent to UPS, I get tracking info at 8PM tonight.

BLARGH, DON'T FAIL ME UPS/NEWEGG.

(going from edison NJ to Brooklyn, so getting it tomorrow is a possibility, even though I cheaped out on shipping).

He must have played Civ V.

Civ V was fine, and only really suffered due to constant comparisons with Civ4:BTS, which is arguably the best strategy game ever made. Gods and Kings basically fixes all of the major Civ 5 issues and lets it stand as a unique-and compelling-complement to the "more traditional" Civ games.

Tu101uk

I am very surprised. I don't know anything about Firaxis but this game looks interesting. It looks like Final Fantasy Tactics :D or Valkyria Chronicles
I've been practically using "it's a bit like Valkyria Chronicles but with guns, aliens and base management" on my friends when describing this game, so that's not a bad way of looking at it. ;)

And yeah, not surprising that Firaxis isn't on everyone's radar, seeing as they only ever pump out Civilization games... ^_^ Personally one of my favourite developers...

Cheech

I am very surprised. I don't know anything about Firaxis but this game looks interesting. It looks like Final Fantasy Tactics :D or Valkyria Chronicles

IMO, it does play a lot like Valkyria Chronicles.

Any word on how the PS3 version is? That's pretty much my only option right now.

Due to travel, I'll be playing this game on a 3 year old laptop with a 1.8 ghz Core 2 Duo, an nVidia GT335M, and 4 gigs of RAM. The demo ran fine, though obviously nowhere near full detail. Unless your PC is a total POS, it can run this game (and STILL look and run better than the console versions!)

Any word on how the PS3 version is? That's pretty much my only option right now.

Have you got any strategy experience? XCOM will be my first one, and I'd like to make a list of PS3 XCOM players so we can get a few matches organised :)

I'm thinking something like

Gaf name----------------PSN name-----------------Skill (Great, good, average, poor, newbie)

The_Hictehr89------The_Hitcher89------Newbie

Corto

More Valkyria Chronicles without the direct control part. I remember Jake Solomon giving some praise to Valkyria Chronicles also. But you can say that Valkyria Chronicles was somewhat inspired in the original X-Com too. ;)

More Valkyria Chronicles without the direct control part. I remember Jake Solomon giving some praise to Valkyria Chronicles also. But you can say that Valkyria Chronicles was somewhat inspired in the original X-Com too. ;)

yea it probably was ;) VC was awesome

Doomshine

Have you got any RTS experience? XCOM will be my first one, and I'd like to make a list of PS3 XCOM players so we can get a few matches organised :)

I'm thinking something like

Gaf name----------------PSN name-----------------Skill (Great, good, average, poor, newbie)

I've played the classics like the C&C games, Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of Empires e.t.c, but I've always played them single player, never been a huge online RTS guy. I might try this though since it's more of a tactical game, we'll see.

epmode

I've played the classics like the C&C games, Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of Empires e.t.c, but I've always played them single player, never been a huge online RTS guy. I might try this though since it's more of a tactical game, we'll see.

Well, XCOM is turn-based, not realtime. That's a big difference.

Would it be fair to say Xcom will probably offer more replay value, or just more hours spent in it, than Dishonored? I'm choosing between the two, leaning towards Xcom for that reason.

Mrbob

My newegg copy shipped today. Too bad it's coming all the way from the east coast in New Jersey. Probably won't get it till Thursday. :(

Edit: To the above, my guess is Xcom will have more replay value than Dishonored. Plus I expect Steam Workshop support to eventually come out for the title if you are playing on PC.

after spending some days with it this is my goty without doubt,amazing and very well done game,even the 360 version is excellent,anything below 9 is bullshit

Tu101uk

Heh not everyday IGN gives out the lowest score out of 20 or so outlets :p
What's interesting is that GameTrailers did the reverse on scores with Dishonored and XCOM. It equals out for both games, I guess. ;)

Great to see both XCOM and Dishonored (which, admittedly, I'd never even heard of until a week ago) getting rave reviews all around. ^_^

PS - Also, unless my eyes deceive me, you missed out GameTrailers in your first post (they have a written version of their review so you can take a nice excerpt from it).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Great to see both XCOM and Dishonored (which, admittedly, I'd never even heard of until a week ago) getting rave reviews all around. ^_^

Definitely

In XCOM's case : I didn't think it would be received well due to the genre and difficulty - I was wrong

In Dishonored's case : I thought it would turn out to be a janky disappointing mess - I was wrong!

Feels good to be wrong sometimes ;), gonna enjoy both but XCOM is going to be my muse for the foreseeable future.

edit : you're right, added to the OP

http://asia.gamespot.com/news/strategy-games-not-contemporary-2k-games-exec-6323542

Basically it's not people hated the idea of a XCOM FPS, it's that people wanted a XCOM strategy game and instead they attempted to troll the hell out of all the XCOM fans with crap like this. Then not much was revealed about the game but it was looking like Bioshock with aliens, which is stupid.

http://asia.gamespot.com/news/strategy-games-not-contemporary-2k-games-exec-6323542

Basically it's not people hated the idea of a XCOM FPS, it's that people wanted a XCOM strategy game and instead they attempted to troll the hell out of all the XCOM fans with crap like this. Then not much was revealed about the game but it was looking like Bioshock with aliens, which is stupid.

From what i saw it looked quite good. The only complaints i noticed were from people wanted a proper XCOM game (which we now have) and recently someone said it was because XCOM is this globe-spanning organization, so it shouldn't be confined to America or something like that.

trw

This. If the game was announced as a new IP it would've been reasonably well recieved. The same thing happened with Syndicate. Publishers thought that all kinds of publicity would be good publicity and that fans of the old games would just be glad that the ips were back. I do feel bad for the dev teams though since I think both games would not only have better press but also that at least Syndicate would have been a lot better without having to shoehorn in nods and mechanics from the original that didn't fit.

Glad to see both XCOM and Dishonored getting amazing reviews. Both games have been on my radar for a while, and since I broke down and pre-ordered both I won't be buying any more games for the rest of the year.

But I think both of them will keep me busy for a good while since the reviews are hyped.

mr stroke

Reviews are off the chains for this game :eek:

I was going to hold off since I haven't finished BL2 or DOA5 yet, but fuck it those scores have me too hyped. Pre Loading when I get home.

Ketch

So nice to see this getting such great scores, now lets just hope it does as well in sales too.

Every single money chasing CoD/WoW clone can suck a fat one.

inky

I don't personally care about them numbers, but the way games seem to run on their MC rating I'm glad this is doing fantastic.

Top Bottom