• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xeno Crisis - New game for Mega Drive/Genesis

CJY

Banned

cover_1200x500_b8bd001d-3631-485b-88cc-80eaef9667ba.png
Xeno Crisis recently got released on many platforms, including Genesis/Mega Drive and Steam. Not all platforms have seen a release yet.

Other systems include: Dreamcast / Neo Geo / PS4 / Switch / XB1 / PC / Mac / Linux

Developed by Bitmap Bureau, a UK-based dev studio. It's a "twin-stick" shooter, like a cross between Robotron 2084 and Smash TV that was successfully funded on Kickstarter, earning £72k of the £20k requested.

Kickstarter Link
Bitmap Bureau Link

xc_melee_example_3_opt.gif

I love new games on older systems, but IMO it's a good game, not great. It's hard as nails, I would definitely give it that, and it looks great and sounds great, but the controls kind of ruin it for me, because with a Genesis pad, you don't have face buttons in the cardinal directions on either the 3 or 6-button pads.

I played the rom version in an emulator so tried it also with a DS4 and made the controls on the two analog sticks, but it just doesn't feel right at all.

A huge part of this project is the nostalgia factor and the novelty of releasing on past system, so I won't give them much stick. Other might think it's perfect, like all the YouTubers I've seen play it... general response seems to be resoundingly positive.

I'd love to hear what anybody else thinks if you've played it.

Dat Jill Valentine in the back doe.

Seen some footage of this on YT; looks very good visually. Seems like a boss rush so I guess mileage will vary depending on if you prefer that sort of thing or not. Really cool to see these new games on old systems tho.

I played the rom version in an emulator so tried it also with a DS4 and made the controls on the two analog sticks, but it just doesn't feel right at all.

Might be an issue I can imagine, but with these kind of games in particular I'd probably prefer playing them with a more "as-intended" controller. Or at least a Saturn pad?

Vitacat

On a 6 Button controller:

A = Down
B = Right
C = Dodge
X = Left
Y = Up
Z = Grenade

On an emulator, i.e. Genesis Plus on Retroarch, you should end up with dodge and grenade mapped to L and R respectively, and the cardinal shooting directions mapped to ABXY.

Mapping movement to left stick and cardinal shooting directions to the right stick is an interesting option. It should work as well as playing any other dual stick shooter with that setup, albeit directions are digital and not analog. Not sure why it felt bad, but it plays great with the above mapping I gave using an Xbox One controller.

Amazing game BTW. Basically Smash TV combined with Alien Syndrome. Would've been a beloved Genesis classic had it come out back in the day. Still great even now.

Last edited:

Slateee

Neo Member
I really wish there was a demo for this game so that I can try it before risking 20 bucks for a ROM :///

Top Bottom