• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 previews

UI seems fine. Reminds me of FF14's controller layout, but separated to the sides.

Still hate the designs in this. Like they pulled from an obscure Vita RPG, or a forgotten gacha game.

I'm excited purely because Chronicles and X are 2 of my favourite games.

renzolama

I'm dubious. XCX's combat system / UI was too complex and busy for me, and it sounds like they've doubled down on that aspect of the game rather than simplifying/polishing it. I'll probably buy it regardless because it's a AAA Switch game in 2017, but these previews aren't improving my outlook.

TDLink

UI is totally fine. It's only for battle. It's not like it looks that when when you're walking around and exploring.

PetrCobra

UI seems fine. Reminds me of FF14's controller layout, but separated to the sides.

Still hate the designs in this. Like they pulled from an obscure Vita RPG, or a forgotten gacha game.

I'm excited purely because Chronicles and X are 2 of my favourite games.

True, not that ecstatic about the ultra stylized character designs either. Maybe they wanted to show the haters of X designs that if they don't shut up, they're getting it worse next time.

I'm dubious. XCX's combat system / UI was too complex and busy for me, and it sounds like they've doubled down on that aspect of the game rather than simplifying/polishing it. I'll probably buy it regardless because it's a AAA Switch game in 2017, but these previews aren't improving my outlook.

To me it looks like they've actually streamlined and simplified it for the player even though the combat system itself might be more complex.

True, not that ecstatic about the ultra stylized character designs either. Maybe they wanted to show the haters of X designs that if they don't shut up, they're getting it worse next time.
The character designs (as in art style and not just clothing) are a big step up form X.

LordKano

If you're worried about the visuals and can't judge based on the stream, note that the Gamekult preview praised the beautiful landscapes.

Hmmm. Loved Xenoblade on Wii. I will be getting this regardless but flipping around that video is leaving me worried. I love the writer though so if he delivers that is what matters most.

About this

During an Italian official presentation, the Nintendo representative told that this was done for demo purposes in order to allow a full demonstration of the first 4 layers of the combat system within few encounters/short limit of time

Well that's that. They did it on purpose.

I am super interested in this game but I've never played either of the other Xenoblade games before, (or possibly any Xeno____ game ever, now that I think about it). Should I, or do I need to, play either of the others (Xenoblade, Xenoblade Chronicles, I'm assuming those are the other two, for Wii and Wii U right?) before this or should I just jump in without worry?

Edit: Ok wait now I'm confused, there's Xenoblade Chronicles, and Xenoblade Chronicles X, and now Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Is X just a port of the first XC? Why isn't this one called Xenoblade Chronicles 3?

Edit 2: Did more reading, X is a spinoff? Huh, I dig the mechs so I may wind up trying it out anyway at some point.

They appear to be unrelated. You can jump in.

Sweet, thanks!

Kaizer

Banned
I would rather take the anime designs in Xenoblade 2 than the hideous doll designs in X.

Agreed, but the visual style of the original Xenoblade is still the best. I miss the slightly more realistic looking character models. The main heroes of this game look like they're star in a Saturday morning anime aimed at Elementary kids, especially with the " collect em' all" aspect of the Blades.

Xbro

I am super interested in this game but I've never played either of the other Xenoblade games before, (or possibly any Xeno____ game ever, now that I think about it). Should I, or do I need to, play either of the others (Xenoblade, Xenoblade Chronicles X, I'm assuming those are the other two, for Wii and Wii U right?) before this or should I just jump in without worry?

They appear to be unrelated. You can jump in.

Ridley327

I am super interested in this game but I've never played either of the other Xenoblade games before, (or possibly any Xeno____ game ever, now that I think about it). Should I, or do I need to, play either of the others (Xenoblade, Xenoblade Chronicles, I'm assuming those are the other two, for Wii and Wii U right?) before this or should I just jump in without worry?

Do you need to play them before this game? Probably not. Should you? I wholeheartedly recommend both of them. Though they do share a lot in common as far as gameplay is concerned, the first game has more of a traditional sense of plotting and storytelling that would tickle the fancy of anyone that likes old-school JRPG stories with good production values, while X focuses more on having a ton of optional content to flesh out the world and the various characters that inhabit it, while offering up some of the most awe-inspiring scale you're likely to see in any video game, especially since it all happens in a seamless world.

Do you need to play them before this game? Probably not. Should you? I wholeheartedly recommend both of them. Though they do share a lot in common as far as gameplay is concerned, the first game has more of a traditional sense of plotting and storytelling that would tickle the fancy of anyone that likes old-school JRPG stories with good production values, while X focuses more on having a ton of optional content to flesh out the world and the various characters that inhabit it, while offering up some of the most awe-inspiring scale you're likely to see in any video game, especially since it all happens in a seamless world.

Oh awesome! Yeah after playing through Breath of the Wild and loving every minute of it I'm super interested in playing another sprawling game like that, and Monolith helped make BotW so they're on my radar as is. I'll try to find X on sale somewhere before 2 comes out yeeeeeee

Or, wasn't there a rumor of an X port/remaster for Switch? Hmmm

PetrCobra

Edit: Ok wait now I'm confused, there's Xenoblade Chronicles, and Xenoblade Chronicles X, and now Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Is X just a port of the first XC? Why isn't this one called Xenoblade Chronicles 3?

Edit 2: Did more reading, X is a spinoff? Huh, I dig the mechs so I may wind up trying it out anyway at some point.

More like a different approach than a spinoff. It takes place in a universe where our world with people and the Earth as it is exists (well...) while the original Xenoblade Chronicles is just a different universe. We don't know what's the universe in XC2, but the style of the game (narrative style mainly, as that seems to be the thing that bothers people the most) and premise seems to be much closer to the first game (people are living on titans again).

Edit: I actually hope that the next game in the franchise will be X2 as the first one ended with a cliffhanger, and that they continue releasing games in this pattern - one XC game, one XCX game, and so on.

MomoQca

Sweet, thanks!

X isn't a spinoff though, I'm not sure why people keep saying that. You could think of it as a separate series especially since from the very beginning of development, X wasn't planned to be a Xenoblade game.

Getting psyched about this, they got a few more months to let it bake before shipping it out just before December ends if they're serious about 2017.

I'm kinda on a media blackout on this game, so if anyone could quickly tell me whether there have been any news on this game's voice acting that would be much appreciated.

More specifically, I was wondering, of course, if we're getting the bland, garden-variety anime dub voiceovers of XCX again or if they came to their senses and are going back to the glorious British voice acting of the first game.

I'm kinda on a media blackout on this game, so if anyone could quickly tell me whether there have been any news on this game's voice acting that would be much appreciated.

More specifically, I was wondering, of course, if we're getting the bland, garden-variety anime dub voiceovers of XCX again or if they came to their senses and are going back to the glorious British voice acting of the first game.

Nintendo of Europe are localizing the game so they probably are hiring some European voice Talent.

W. L. Saga

Neo Member
Hype remains at zero. To me XC2 is looking like a huge letdown after three hundred hours playing XCX.

All I want now is a XCX sequel.

Just to be clear
It could have totally be a lie/excuse
I am not a developer
But showing the game, the fight was going too long and he said this thing

I think it's not truthful. The enemies kinda need that much health for Blade Arts to be meaningful.

Atheerios

It's British but it's not very good.

Deku89

One of my most anticipated games coming out this year. The only thing I'm really worried about is if it doesn't have much polish.

Sadly, I still haven't finished either of the previous Xenoblade games. Maybe I'll be able to do so this time on the Switch.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Just to be clear, you're not a developer,

But you're getting real paranoid here.

What in the blue hell are you talking about
Please stop attacking me in every thread
I am the one who brought up this info to "justify" the amount of HP of small monsters, a concern for many here

Due to the fact that many were taking this info as a fact, it seemed right to me to underline how I absolute don't know if on the final build this aspect will actually be tweaked or not

MomoQca

Nintendo of Europe is apparently doing the localization. However, we've heard a variety of accents, including British, American, Irish/Welsh, etc. There is one infamous line by a British voice actor that pretty much everyone hates due to their poor performance. It personally doesn't bother me, but I can see why people would dislike it.

Red Devil

X isn't a spinoff though, I'm not sure why people keep saying that. You could think of it as a separate series especially since from the very beginning of development, X wasn't planned to be a Xenoblade game.

You're right, but I think we might get a better idea if there's another game and it's called either XCX2 or XC3.

kromeo

Nintendo of Europe is apparently doing the localization. However, we've heard a variety of accents, including British, American, Irish/Welsh, etc. There is one infamous line by a British voice actor that pretty much everyone hates due to their poor performance. It personally doesn't bother me, but I can see why people would dislike it.

Let's be honest, what people wanted was Reyn voice back again

Not really, his stance is reasonable here, we've seen many cases of Nintendo reps straight up saying lies about how the final game will be.
Reps on the show floor is one thing, but this is the person they picked for the livestream that had to have been a lot more Informed of the demo than the show floor staff.

Seik

Banned
You really don't know what you're talking about, are you?

Huh, Yeah!
Huh, Yeah!
HUH (huh huh)
Yeah....yeah yeah yeah.

------

The world themes were great in X.

All the story event related music and the Mech Flying/New LA music were cancer for my ears. I know what I'm talking about, I played both games for 100+ hours.

I was eager to finish X when I fucking heard the flying theme for the first time. It ruined what was suposed to be a key moment and transformed it to me wanting to stay on the ground as long as possible to not hear this shit.

ACE + to Sawano basically meant switching from Legendary good instrumental/orchestral music to fucking Techno J-POP failed Linkin Park wannabe.

Soooo yeah, I welcome our new ACE overlords back!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Jesus christ.

What was wrong with the bar along the bottom that Xenoblade /X used?

As far as we are aware, there are no connections between 2 and the Wii and Wii U games.

There were definitely no connections between Xenoblade Wii and Xenoblade X, beyond little nods like one of the characters having a hairclip in the shape of the Monado (the main sword from Wii) at any rate.
They are harder to see,the ui is clearly accommodating to the fact that the game will be played in handheld aswell as on the tv

KLoWn

Huh, Yeah!
Huh, Yeah!
HUH (huh huh)
Yeah....yeah yeah yeah.

------

The world themes were great in X.

All the story event related music and the Mech Flying/New LA music were cancer for my ears. I know what I'm talking about, I played both games for 100+ hours.

I was eager to finish X when I fucking heard the flying theme for the first time. It ruined what was suposed to be a key moment and transformed it to me wanting to stay on the ground as long as possible to not hear this shit.

ACE + to Sawano basically meant switching from Legendary good instrumental/orchestral music to fucking Techno J-POP failed Linkin Park wannabe.
I actually read your original post wrong, so just ignore what I said.

I have a feeling this game is going to bomb critically and commercially even by niche JRPG standards.

I think it depends on when they release it (as far as sales). I want it this year and I can't wait to get my hands on it, but I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't do better releasing in Feb 2018. That said we have to remember that Monolithsoft has said many times that the other Xenoblade games aren't AAA games so it's not a series that needs to sell millions to be profitable.

Fireblend

Banned
And hopefully a good song this time as opposed to the one in XC1

I actually didn't see X as a step back, it was just different. The linear storyline was shorter but there were SO MANY sidequests that the overall story amount was massive.

Beyond the Sky is a great song =/ it goes so well with that ending scene.

Top Bottom