• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 |OT| To Guide The Dead is My Lot

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Slowly going through the game. Got busy with life and all. I must say the action scenes are so well done in this game. Monolith Soft really know how to direct those.

Just hope they’re better than 2. I swear every there will be some fierce battle, then right in the middle they will all pause and the bad guys will just stand back while your party discusses some convoluted plan of action within earshot. Then they unpause and it all goes without a hitch.

Jsisto

Exact same situation for me, had to come back later...

Ok so just entered chapter 6 (what a ride) but feel I can make some calls on what feel the game should have done better... there's one big one though, heroes.

You do their little story segment and that's it, I understand they wanted a class swap mechanic and they are essentially there to tie into that, but it sucks... i would have preferred less heroes but they take part in the plot, I understand how much work that would be but Skies of Arcadia managed this with the 3 choices for the 4th companion...

Like I understand at really important parts like the end of chapter 5 to chapter 6 they have a reason your not bringing them along, but for major story beats I have some hot heads who had alot to say in their segments just stood there blankly... not even a cutting one liner they just stand there.

People love their choices being acknowledged by the game... SOME ONE AKNOWLEDGE THE FACT CAPTAIN TRITON IS STOOD THERE DURING YOUR STUPID 10 MINUTE MONOLOGUE! WHY IS NO ONE SUPRISED BY THIS!? it's because he's not really supposed to matter outside his little box, he's there to tick a box so you can learn the blue Mage style class and I hate that these characters are reduced to that once their bit is done.

I had the same feeling with the blades in 2
I wish they were atleast playable in battle and maybe use them as your avatar in the world, too. I don't really understand why they're not. They wouldn't have access to ouroborous and fusion arts for obvious story reasons, but would have felt more rewarding to have the option to use them atleast. Would make them feel a little more important.

Chukhopops

Is there any way to prevent team members from going into Ouroboros on their own? It can really fuck up your strategy when your tanks suddenly warp away.

Kimahri

Banned
I mean more at the end where he had to accept other people's decisions and not throw a tantrum like a child. You see it how he carries himself afterward. He becomes stoic which is a quality of men not boys.
I dunno man. I'm in my 40s now, and this is like, yeah whatever. It's just so overdone by now that it's really hard to do it in a way that stands out and doesn't come accross like the trope it is.

Something happened to me some years ago, either it was the game trends or it was just my age, but all of a sudden I started finding so many of the stories in games and anime to be really juvenile and naive. IT just d
Pretty boring so far. Story not interesting, characters bland, tutorials all the time, like I know how to buy items thank you game.
I played Xenoblade 1 before this and it was so much better than this game. Day and Night difference.
Will play a little more but if it doesn't get better I will sell it again. The waiting for a good JRPG continues.
Yeah I hear you. It wasn't till I got somewhere after ten hours and the idiotic tutorials stopped that I started having more fun.

I also set difficulty to easy in the end. Game isn't hard at all, but combat is just too slow, so on easy at least they're over mich faster. I mean, the combat system is interesting enough, but not enough for me to want to get knee deep into several minutes of battle for every two steps I take, y'know?

I like the story, but they could have skipprd most of the chatting with npcs for quests. None of that is good, so I ended up just fast cklicking through it

For some reason I keep playing though. The world is beautiful even if it's pretty lifeless, and the music is at times gorgeous. I enjoy running around doing hero quests and getting new classes to level up. Ignore all the mobs with easy mode, and then turn it to normal or hard for bigger enemies.

But yeah, don't torture yourself. The tutorials took somewhere between 10-15 hours for me to stop. It's insane.

NanaMiku

I finally reach the old cliffside way. Is this the world tree in Xenoblade 2?

Japan sales is out: https://www.gematsu.com/2022/08/famitsu-sales-7-25-22-7-31-22
Xenoblade 3 is number 1
[NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Nintendo, 07/29/22) – 112,728 (New)

Okay, got chain attacks, its all starting to click and feel really god

but it is going to be VERY hard to beat the amazing synergy that Xeno 2 had. From auto attacks,, going into arts, arts going into combos, into elemental combos (these were soooo good), to creating orbs on the enemies, to getting a lot of orbs, to then chain attack, to break he orbs, break enough orbs, and do a full burst.

it all had a great flow, and it was all connected, chain attacks in 3 seem cool still, but i dont feel it has as good as a synergy as 2 had with its system

but im very biased with that game's combat, i couldnt get enough, once I beated it, I went after all the optional hard monsters/bossess
Later on you can get ouroboros order in chain attack. I'm still don't know what are the effects when choosing the attack order.. I know that attacker first will increast eh TP point earned, healer attack last will max the TP to 99, and defender last will bring back party with highest base TP.

Is there any way to prevent team members from going into Ouroboros on their own? It can really fuck up your strategy when your tanks suddenly warp away.
When you get the two form of ouroboros, you can change in the setting to activate the ouroboros form of all party member by yourself in the setting. This will change when you press left on the d-pad, it'll bring a new menu to choose who will do the ouroboros form. You can also see their interlink level.

Something happened to me some years ago, either it was the game trends or it was just my age, but all of a sudden I started finding so many of the stories in games and anime to be really juvenile and naive.
Yeah, most games target young people, especially JRPGs. Even Takahashi said Xenoblade 3 is for young people.

I see. So that’s why the soldiers from the two nations are all so young.​

Takahashi: I also wanted to convey to young generations nowadays, through my story, that they can create their own path however they want and that they should not give up on their dreams and goals.

Last edited:
Hey I worked out a really good newbie strategy for always exploiting chain attacks, it should really help people who aren't able to get long or damaging chain attacks.

Sorry if there are way better guides and I missed something obvious, I'm playing spoiler free avoiding guides so this is just what I came up with on my own that works really well.

All you have to do is make Taion Lanz's "Heavy Guard" class and give him the "variable turret" ability.

Then just choose any defender's chain order in the first round. Lanz or Mio. Then in the chain attack, start with any attacker for the TP bonus, and in the first round you might need to use 2 healers to get to 99 TP safely, but that's the hardest part done.

At 99% in the 1st round, use Taion with variable turret. Taion has really high base TP, plus he'll be getting +10 because of the defender chain order bonus to defenders, plus variable turret is multi-hit and squeezes in a few extra TP.

You'll get above 150% in the first round and that means you'll get 2 characters back and even if you don't quite get 150% somehow, more importantly you will get back high TP Taion, because finishing on a defender means you'll always get the highest TP character back, which will always be himself. He'll have 70-90 TP really soon and keep bringing himself back each time when you finish using him so it will be easy to get 150%+ often and max chain attack rounds.

Just make sure to use your heroes chain order at some point since they give you an extra free round, and use an attackers chain order for the final round since attackers will get a lot more damage out of the high damage bonus since they are set up to do damage.

Again sorry if that's lame compared to what guides are saying, I just found a really simple way to always squeeze max rounds out of chain attack.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

Yeah you unlock it at the end of chapter 3, you need to change it under Options > Game, I wouldn't recommend changing it, the characters usually transform to save their asses from dying, it will probably come in handy for endgame/postgame against superbosses though.

So after some experimentation with party setups I think 4 Attackers, 2 Healers and 1 Defender is the way to go, the Defender has to have all the Aggro boosting stuff equipped and maybe the Dexterity gem, that should keep aggro on him/her, Attackers really just come down to player preference on playstyle, 2 Healers are a must, they can revive each other if one dies, if both die you can revive them with Eunie's Ouroboros form or just restart the battle, there's an accesory that lets you revive people even without being a healer but I think it's unnecesary, there may be some superbosses that might require more specific team setups but IMO this is the best party composition most of the time.

Xeaker

Played now 5 hours and have 6 party members, but omg they look so fuking generic and bland like they were made with some random character generator.
Story is almost as boring as from Tales of Arise. I will sell this game now.
Xenoblade 1 was MUCH better. Shows that developer have no idea how to make good JRPGs anymore LOL

Kimahri

Banned
Yeah, most games target young people, especially JRPGs. Even Takahashi said Xenoblade 3 is for young people.

Most? Depends what you consider young. Most games don't do these naive character interactions that marr jrpgs these days. There's plenty of stuff that aims higher than that.

And so did jrpgs. I can play old jrpgs that I've never played before, and not have this feeling.

Something happened along the way.

Jsisto

Played now 5 hours and have 6 party members, but omg they look so fuking generic and bland like they were made with some random character generator.
Story is almost as boring as from Tales of Arise. I will sell this game now.
Xenoblade 1 was MUCH better. Shows that developer have no idea how to make good JRPGs anymore LOL
No offense but maybe you should commit to a game that is 70 to 100+ hours to see all it has to offer before selling it in After 5. As a Xenoblade 1 fan I’m loving this game. If you’re willing to give up that quickly maybe JRPGs aren’t your thing anymore.

Andyliini

Unlocked the chain attack, and trashed the unique monster with it. This game really knows how to me the player feel powerful.

Jsisto

Without going into spoilers, can anyone tell me when class level get uncapped at 10? I’m on chapter 5 and feeling like it’s long overdue…

Without going into spoilers, can anyone tell me when class level get uncapped at 10? I’m on chapter 5 and feeling like it’s long overdue…
I am pretty sure the tutorial said that the level cap for classes will increase when you do certain side quests or something. I am in chapter 5 myself and haven't unlocked any of them beyond 10 as well. It does seem odd that it hasn't unlocked yet. I think they really want you to change your classes and play with the whole party instead of sticking to main character and main jobs.

Finally ran into one small issue. The game is too damn easy on Hard due to how quickly you gain CP and XP. I am routinely 10-15 levels above any story mode boss I fight and since I fight all UMs along the way, I keep maintaining such a high level of power creep over everything. Combat is still highly engaging though and there are plenty of UMs to sate my need for challenge.

KàIRóS

I'm pretty sure the first mission I unlocked was for Eunie's starting class somewhere in Chapter 5 I had to go do the discuss thing when resting to get the mission, it's marked as yellow like other hero quests

Xeaker

No offense but maybe you should commit to a game that is 70 to 100+ hours to see all it has to offer before selling it in After 5. As a Xenoblade 1 fan I’m loving this game. If you’re willing to give up that quickly maybe JRPGs aren’t your thing anymore.

No.
If a game bores me to death after 5 hours I will not torture myself and continue just for the chance it might become better 10 hours later.
I just have to wait for Dragon Quest 12 to deliver a good JRPG experience.

No.
If a game bores me to death after 5 hours I will not torture myself and continue just for the chance it might become better 10 hours later.
I just have to wait for Dragon Quest 12 to deliver a good JRPG experience.

schitts creek party GIF by CBC

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why? Dragon Quest 11 was very good? I have faith in those developers.
If only takes 5 hours for you to quit the JRPG and knowing you hating most games because blah, blah "modern games" blah blah.....then there is good chance you are going hate on DQ12 as well.

But hey I hope you finally find a game you enjoy and if not then sell all your "modern system" and use emulator to drown yourself to nostalgia.

reminiscing-good-old-days.gif

Xeaker

So is Xenoblade 3, and 2, and 1. You came in, didn’t give the game a chance, wanted to whine about it, made up your mind long before and just tried to find reasons to justify your preconcieved hate.

Aren't you the guy who said that Voice of Cards and Dungeon Encounters are one of the best JRPGs made in decades? :D
I think Xenoblade 1 is a good game. 2 was OK. 3 is garbage.
And yes I gave it a chance, 5 hours is a long time.

If only takes 5 hours for you to quit the JRPG and knowing you hating most games because blah, blah "modern games" blah blah.....then there is good chance you are going hate on DQ12 as well.

But hey I hope you finally find a game you enjoy and if not then sell all your "modern system" and use emulator to drown yourself to nostalgia.

reminiscing-good-old-days.gif

I don't hate most games? You know I am also playing a lot besides JRPGs LOL
There is plenty to enjoy, it's just sad that JRPGs, my favorite Genre has gone down to trash quality.

Aren't you the guy who said that Voice of Cards and Dungeon Encounters are one of the best JRPGs made in decades? :D
And yes I gave it a chance, 5 hours is a long time.
Yes, I did. Because they are amazing games. Not *the* best, but very well made, excellently designed, and most importantly: *fun*.

Consideirng how often you like to mention this, clearly you are triggered by this opinion. May I suggest some Talcum Powder? It should fix the butt hurt you seem to have ongoing.

As for 5 hours, that isn’t enough to understand or make a statement on a post-SNES era JRPG.

I don't hate most games? You know I am also playing a lot besides JRPGs LOL
There is plenty to enjoy, it's just sad that JRPGs, my favorite Genre has gone down to trash quality.
I would highly suggest you actually open up your eyes and give them a chance. Clearly, given your statements in this thread, you haven’t been doing so and rely on blanket statements.

Danjin44

You are not even past first chapter and you already calling the game “garbage” it’s hard take you seriously when say stuff like this and your past posts alway on about how you hate “modern games”.

You never had any attention to give this game a chance, at least be honest about it.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
The hell guys. If it takes more than 5 hours for a game to become good, then that's on the devs. Let's be real here. Genre is irrelevant.

There are plenty of jrpgs that are awesome right from the start, many more that becomes great after an hour.

This idea that you need to give a game time, as in hours, to become good is just ridiculous.

Great developers can make a huge gsme interesting and enjoyable early on. If someone isn't enjoying your favorite game after spending five hours on it, then that is fair. I remember Baten Kaitos, for example. A game that instantly grabbed me. I remember reaøizing I'd played for almost five hours anf thinking, boy, those hours flew by.

This elitist mockery of all criticism in this thread is embarassing.

Side note, Dungeon Encounters was interesting, but felt like an idea that could have flourished. Loved Voice of Cards though, and it's sequel.

Danjin44

The hell guys. If it takes more than 5 hours for a game to become good, then that's on the devs. Let's be real here. Genre is irrelevant.
Tell me in straight face did original Xenoblade opened up after 5 hours? Xenoblade 3 huge game, you are not gonna get everything within 5 hours, it was the same with pervious games as well.

You are wanting unlock everything from get go is not fair criticism.

Kimahri

Banned
Tell me in straight face did original Xenoblade opened up after 5 hours? Xenoblade 3 huge game, you are not gonna get everything within 5 hours, it was the same with pervious games as well.

You are wanting unlock everything from get go is not fair criticism.
Lol, no, I am not. You need to stop injecting your failed understanding of what is being said, into what is actually being said.

XC was fun immediately for me. Was it super exciting? No. But I wad intrigued by the world, the characters, and the music in that opening area was just fucking brilliant.

3, I am enjoying it now, combat is a slog on higher difficulties, but I enjoy running around doing quests. But my god it took a long time getting there.

What you don't seem to understand about what other people are saying here, is that we're not asking for everything at once. Of course that would be too much. But I want it to be fun. Right away. Or at least interesting. Engaging in some way. You can start a game with basic gsmeplay, and still make the player feel entertained.

Nobody is asking for everything within 5 hours. We want to be entertained. Before 5 hours have passed.

Please read the posts you respond to more carefully. Most of the time when I respond to you, it feels like I'm debunking your misconceptions.

Danjin44

Lol, no, I am not. You need to stop injecting your failed understanding of what is being said, into what is actually being said.

XC was fun immediately for me. Was it super exciting? No. But I wad intrigued by the world, the characters, and the music in that opening area was just fucking brilliant.

3, I am enjoying it now, combat is a slog on higher difficulties, but I enjoy running around doing quests. But my god it took a long time getting there.

What you don't seem to understand about what other people are saying here, is that we're not asking for everything at once. Of course that would be too much. But I want it to be fun. Right away. Or at least interesting. Engaging in some way. You can start a game with basic gsmeplay, and still make the player feel entertained.

Nobody is asking for everything within 5 hours. We want to be entertained. Before 5 hours have passed.

Please read the posts you respond to more carefully. Most of the time when I respond to you, it feels like I'm debunking your misconceptions.
For me I would say Xenoblade 3 started very strong, after the first chapter I already had jobs I can mess around, heck I recently moved from Chapter 3 because was doing crazy amount of exploring, I LOVED original Xenoblade game but compare to 3rd game you barely unlocked anything in beginning and what’s worst most of original game’s mechanics was tied to character affinity which was grind to get them higeher level to do proper chain attacks and even craft
Gems.

So I definitely disagree about XC3 starts slow…..fuck no!

Kimahri

Banned
For me I would say Xenoblade 3 started very strong, after the first chapter I already had jobs I can mess around, heck I recently moved from Chapter 3 because was doing crazy amount of exploring, I LOVED original Xenoblade game but compare to 3rd game you barely unlocked anything in beginning and what’s worst most of original game’s mechanics was tied to character affinity which was grind to get them higeher level to do proper chain attacks and even craft
Gems.

So I definitely disagree about XC3 starts slow…..fuck no!
How mich you unlock and how quickly isn't really important to me. What I care sbout is how micj of a good time I'm having with what is there.

If you're having a blast, good for you.

Jsisto

I'm going to be doing the Heros Quest and getting all the colonies to 5 Stars

I'm going to try to get my characters to level 99
Having beaten the game, can you shed some light for some of us on when we are able to raise class ranks past 10? Seems to be taking an unusual amount of time.

Danjin44

How mich you unlock and how quickly isn't really important to me. What I care sbout is how micj of a good time I'm having with what is there.

But that not really game’s problem is it now….some will enjoy story in beginning and some won’t, that’s entirely subjective but not enough for it to be called “garbage” for it like Xeake does.

Kimahri

Banned
But that not really game’s problem is it now….some will enjoy story in beginning and some won’t, that’s entirely subjective but not enough for it to be called “garbage” for it like Xeake does.
If he thinks it's garbage, it's garbage to him.

Why does this bother you so? It doesn't affect your own enjoyment of the game.

Having beaten the game, can you shed some light for some of us on when we are able to raise class ranks past 10? Seems to be taking an unusual amount of time.

It depends on the Heroes Quest

Like the Main Cast Side Stories, after you finish each one the class rank raises up to 20

I just did Sena Side Story and that raised her Ogre Max Class to 20

I'm not sure about the other classes

Dynasty8

Most? Depends what you consider young. Most games don't do these naive character interactions that marr jrpgs these days. There's plenty of stuff that aims higher than that.

And so did jrpgs. I can play old jrpgs that I've never played before, and not have this feeling.

Something happened along the way.

100% agreed. I think it's a combination of different things.

I think adding voice acting and graphics "improving" has a lot to do with JRPGs feeling more childish. Times changing as well might be another reason...

Most people remember Xenogears back in the day as a dark, mature storyline. If the game were to come out today, most of the characters would look and sound childish. Maybe that was always the original vision...I don't know. I just can't take it seriously when that's the case.

I only hope we can get more mature JRPGs without all the "kid" stuff. I always prefer the gameplay and world building in these games, but most have butchered characters, dialogue and story completely.

Jsisto

It depends on the Heroes Quest

Like the Main Cast Side Stories, after you finish each one the class rank raises up to 20

I just did Sena Side Story and that raised her Ogre Max Class to 20

I'm not sure about the other classes
Ah ok. Are the main cast side stories towards the end? I'm on chapter 5 and haven't seen anything like that yet.

You are playing on an easy, IIRC. You are actively skipping over and dismissing the actual mechanics of the game. It would be akin to playing with God mode in an FPS. Of course you are going to have less fun when you are ignore the majority of the game. Doesn’t take a genius to figure this out.

Kimahri

Banned
You are playing on an easy, IIRC. You are actively skipping over and dismissing the actual mechanics of the game. It would be akin to playing with God mode in an FPS. Of course you are going to have less fun when you are ignore the majority of the game. Doesn’t take a genius to figure this out.
Because you insist on reading between the lines while actually skipping, you know, the lines, here it goes:

I find combat boring. So to keep from being bored I main easy, when I sense something bigger is coming up, I turn up the difficulty, because I have no interest in wasting my time on endless battles with mobs that pose no danger.

I'm 35+ hours in. This is a method I find works well for me to have maximum enjoyment after hours of experimentation. I'm not bored to death by mobs, and I get to have fun with bosses and the occational orange mob.

Now kindly get over yourself and stop assuming you're the only one who knows what he's talking about.

I've been analizing over jrpg combat systems since the early 90s. I'm not some clueless newcomer. I just have no fucking patience for bullshit.

NanaMiku

Because you insist on reading between the lines while actually skipping, you know, the lines, here it goes:

I find combat boring. So to keep from being bored I main easy, when I sense something bigger is coming up, I turn up the difficulty, because I have no interest in wasting my time on endless battles with mobs that pose no danger.

I'm 35+ hours in. This is a method I find works well for me to have maximum enjoyment after hours of experimentation. I'm not bored to death by mobs, and I get to have fun with bosses and the occational orange mob.

Now kindly get over yourself and stop assuming you're the only one who knows what he's talking about.

I've been analizing over jrpg combat systems since the early 90s. I'm not some clueless newcomer. I just have no fucking patience for bullshit.
If you bored with with mob battle, just press -, it'll do auto battle. You can play with your phone while auto battle happened. Auto battle won't work on unique monsters and bosses

Top Bottom