• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: JP livestream on March 28th

Nanashrew

Banned
I get what you're saying and the port's definitely being marketed towards newcomers since it doesn't have any changes or additions from the original release. Still, though, something about it feels a bit silly when the marketing seems to imply nobody in North America knows about anything related to Xenoblade or Shulk outside of Smash Bros. =p

Makes enough sense to me. Smash Bros. can be like the ultimate advertisement campaign because unlike TV ads, this will reach a targeted audience and inform the uninformed directly. A friend of mine loves playing as Shulk in Smash and recently just bought the Wii version of the game to learn about him. She finds him to be a lovable dork. Pretty sure she's going to get the 3DS version too.

It makes sense that many developers have wanted to see their characters join Smash for similar reasons even if their games sold well or not. It introduces more people to the characters.

A decent number of Xenoblade tracks were played in at least one Press Start Symphony in Japan but they were never recorded.

The replica they use here immediately reminded me of the picture that Sakurai tweeted out from the Press Start Symphony. I doesn't look quite like the same one though.

Sakurai_Monado_Tweet_8_30.jpg

alvis.exe

I get what you're saying and the port's definitely being marketed towards newcomers since it doesn't have any changes or additions from the original release. Still, though, something about it feels a bit silly when the marketing seems to imply nobody in North America knows about anything related to Xenoblade or Shulk outside of Smash Bros. =p

I hope NoA does something similar to this Japanese trailer where they basically advertise how well regarded the Wii game was and took a bunch of quotes from players to introduce all the parts of the trailer (story/characters/world, exploration, battles). I think it's actually a good idea for them to reach out to the Smash Bros audience in this way, but Xenoblade isn't just Shulk's origin game - it's also a damn good game and it wouldn't hurt to remind people of that :p

Overside

Banned
This is slightly off topic, but I just noticed the way Nintendo of America is marketing the game. Two quotes from the site:

Then under Shulk's character bio:

I get that they're trying to ride Shulk's appearance in Smash Bros. to market the game, but something about it feels strange when the Wii version still saw a release in North America. It was incredibly limited and a retailer exclusive so it makes sense, but they also just removed the North American site for the Wii release of the game. It's almost like they're trying to pretend that the Wii version was never released over here and that this is almost a brand new game for North America.

They're even using it for the in-store advertising.

tumblr_nlxybsqUIs1r2dijno1_540.jpg

Are they using Shulks smash bros model in that promo?

Yeah, they seem to think that smash bros has generated a lot more interest in shulk... Does this have to do with NOA's obsession with memes, and they associate memes with exposure?

hmmm...

Id make the promo a picture of shulk with a contorted look of hatred and pain on his face, with a sensor in it so that everyone who walked by triggered shulk to scream 'ILL KILLL YOOUUUUUU!!!!!'

And then Id laugh at the people who worked at gamestop who would have to listen to it all day.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Yeah, they seem to think that smash bros has generated a lot more interest in shulk... Does this have to do with NOA's obsession with memes, and they associate memes with exposure?

hmmm...

Id make the promo a picture of shulk with a contorted look of hatred and pain on his face, with a sensor in it so that everyone who walked by triggered shulk to scream 'ILL KILLL YOOUUUUUU!!!!!'

And then Id laugh at the people who worked at gamestop who would have to listen to it all day.
Uh, that model is from the original game.

Nanashrew

Banned

hmmm...

Original official artwork

latest

Top Bottom