• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You guys are making me want to see what all the fuss is about over the ending. I went to do the Chapter 11 mission last night and discovered I hadn't done one of the pre-requisite missions yet (Boot Camp) so I went ahead and cleared that one. Tonight I should be able to finish the Chapter 11 story mission.

okay so the ending isn't actually crazy

I'd actually say it's significantly less crazy than the stuff that went on at the end of the first Xenoblade

It's just that they kind of end it with
a cliffhanger that feels like it's straight out of Lost or something

Are you going to attempt the half hour swim to Cauldros to plant the three (?) miranium probes you can access right away? There's two in the north and one in the east that have very low level (<10) enemies around them, if I remember correctly. You may have to do some sneaking, but it should be doable.

Having seen the ending, I wonder if the (endgame spoilers)
Lifehold core was there the whole time and
is accessible somehow.

Are they worth it? If so then sure haha. I haven't played in a loooong time.

I know, right? I have had a day to mull it over and I'm still not sure if their mimeosomes were supposed to be remotely controlled by the Lifehold database or if the mimeosomes had been flashed with their memories at some point and were autonomous.

Elma's scene in the post credits sequence says no, but if not, what the heck is going on?

It makes me wonder if there isn't more to the references to the original Xenoblade Chronicles than just winks and nods.

Suddenly, everything was (Xenogears)
Deus

Pokemaniac

I know, right? I have had a day to mull it over and I'm still not sure if their mimeosomes were supposed to be remotely controlled by the Lifehold database or if the mimeosomes had been flashed with their memories at some point and were autonomous.

Elma's scene in the post credits sequence says no, but if not, what the heck is going on?

It makes me wonder if there isn't more to the references to the original Xenoblade Chronicles than just winks and nods.

The "Hom Homs" scene is way too hamfisted to be anything other than a confirmation that the stories are indeed connected.

flyover

I am amazed that this OT is still this active, btw. >.>

Makes some sense, considering how much game there is! I've been playing it for something like four months at this point, with occasional breaks. Just have to figure out the most time-efficient way get my skell suited up to beat
Telethia
, now. Only thing standing between me and 100% segment recon.

Celegus

I got it soon after release but didn't get hooked like I thought I would. Finally got into it again recently when I was recovering from surgery, and just beat it a few days ago. Sounds like a bunch of us just beat it recently, pretty odd timing.

Are they worth it? If so then sure haha. I haven't played in a loooong time.

They might be worth it if they net you some Bonjelium early, since it can only be mined in Cauldros. Even if you can't craft anything with it, each piece of Bonjelium is worth 3000 space bucks. That's a big source of additional income in the early hours of the game, which might mean the difference in affording a better (or additional) skell later on.

EDIT: Just checked, and no. Only one of those sites has mineable resources and it only gives you Arc Sand Ore. There is a Bonjelium site nearby in the White Phosphur Lake that has Bonjelium, but getting there at a low level might be tricky, especially if you don't have Ghost Walker on Elma yet.

Suddenly, everything was (Xenogears)
Deus

I haven't played Xenogears. Is it available on PSN? Xenosaga is just completely out of my price range for a physical copy. I'm just writing that one off completely.

The "Hom Homs" scene is way too hamfisted to be anything other than a confirmation that the stories are indeed connected.

It makes me think that maybe the world Shulk/Alvis created at the end of Xenoblade was actually Mira. If it's part of a pocket universe like the Bionis and Mechonis were, it would explain why nobody can leave the planet. It would mean though that the original Homs eventually escaped, traveled back in time, created the Ganglion and seeded the Earth with life etc. I see some parallels, for instance, between the Ganglion and the Mechon.

They never explained who the "Great One" was, so I don't have a handle on what his role in all of this is.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played Xenogears. Is it available on PSN? Xenosaga is just completely out of my price range for a physical copy. I'm just writing that one off completely.

Xenogears is a PS1 Classic so it is available on PSVita and I think PS3? Not sure about PS4 yet since I don't have one. The game is absolutely worth a play though as long as you understand that it suffers from the same issues as most of these games (the ending is big problem).

Celegus

Xenogears is a PS1 Classic so it is available on PSVita and I think PS3? Not sure about PS4 yet since I don't have one. The game is absolutely worth a play though as long as you understand that it suffers from the same issues as most of these games (the ending is big problem).

At least they've progressed to just the ending being wacky instead of the entire second half of the game?

Golnei

Yeah... that "second disc" is really something else. The game simply would never come out these days.

I'm not so sure - looking at modern Square-Enix, it might just turn out as a different kind of disaster. A current Xenogears could be unceremoniously cancelled, or it could eventually come out a decade after its announcement under different branding after being shunted through four platforms, two directors and three total conceptual reboots.

kunonabi

Bought the last of the Dolls. I think I'll move on to crafting the extra outfits now. Does fighting the World Enemy count towards the playing with others achievements? I know I've done 65 missions but I actually managed a bunch of co-op attempts today taking on the World Enemy too.

I dug up a guide to getting the Ares 90 and I am thoroughly confused about how to farm Yggdrasil and Telethia for parts which I can then trade in for reward tickets. I have been levelling up low level scouted Blades like the guide says, and earning blade medals like the guide says, but I have no idea how or where to cash them in so I can fight these enemies.

Should I be joining a Conquest squad now that I'm done with the story? I mostly ignored the online stuff up until now.

Help!

I dug up a guide to getting the Ares 90 and I am thoroughly confused about how to farm Yggdrasil and Telethia for parts which I can then trade in for reward tickets. I have been levelling up low level scouted Blades like the guide says, and earning blade medals like the guide says, but I have no idea how or where to cash them in so I can fight these enemies.

Go to the Terminal inside the Barracks.

Should I be joining a Conquest squad now that I'm done with the story? I mostly ignored the online stuff up until now.

Help!

Sure I guess? I never found a real difference between the two

Wichu

2TPXkUw.jpg

I have no idea what I'm doing

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I've been doing that, but I cannot find the global nemesis missions or anything related to blade medals. There's a menu option to trade in parts from those fights, but I see nothing about the missions themselves.

Do I need to do something to unlock them?

It's a server-wide thing. You wait until that circle you see at squad select fills up all the way. It'll tell you when a global nemesis is available.

It's a server-wide thing. You wait until that circle you see at squad select fills up all the way. It'll tell you when a global nemesis is available.
Oh my God. It all makes sense now. It also explains why I couldn't ever join the online missions from the console. I just assumed they were unlocked poat-game or something.

I take it that doing the squad tasks fills up the gauge?

None of this is ever explained in-game and it's been months since I last read the manual.

I just started exploring the east gate. I'm level 9 I think and I just died accidentally from some random lvl 65 monster. WTF
Welcome to Mira! Just wait until the super strong monsters start using camouflage.

Plant as many probes as possible as early as possible. If given the choice, level up your Mechanical field skill to as high as it can go, then do the same for Archeological and leave Biological for last.

matmanx1

Oh my God. It all makes sense now. It also explains why I couldn't ever join the online missions from the console. I just assumed they were unlocked poat-game or something.

I take it that doing the squad tasks fills up the gauge?

None of this is ever explained in-game and it's been months since I last read the manual.

Yes, as quests are being completed and tasks are being completed the gauge fills up. Once it hits 100% a global nemesis appears (and Telethia seems to take turns with the other one that I can't remember his name right now). I don't understand how the Blade Medals work in regards to the Ares 90 quest because I'm not on that quest but I do know how the nemesis works.

Yes, as quests are being completed and tasks are being completed the gauge fills up. Once it hits 100% a global nemesis appears (and Telethia seems to take turns with the other one that I can't remember his name right now). I don't understand how the Blade Medals work in regards to the Ares 90 quest because I'm not on that quest but I do know how the nemesis works.
Global nemesis missions were available tonight in Australia.

It seems like each blade medal gives you the right to take on the global nemesis once. I started the fight then bailed once my skell got wrecked around 6 times and my medal count reduced each time. It was never explained anywhere and I don't think there is a way to check your medal count outside of these missions.

Telethia Plume seems to have some kind of reflect buff going on because my team got wiped out almost immediately. I concentrated on Yggralith Zero instead and got enough tickets to craft my Ares 90!

I don't know what I should concentrate on doing first. Maybe I can fly around and challenge random tyrants.

EDIT: The Volkampf kill count for me is much lower than it gets reported in this thread. Is it segregated by region? The count here in Australia is only ~80K. I assume it includes the UK and Europe.

thundr51

Ok, picked this game up last week and it's great. I mostly was lost but after reading plenty of faqs, etc I've managed to make some sense of the battle system and get to lvl 25. I started out on the Striker path and got as far as Samurai Gunner (mastered) then switched. I am working on finishing up Galactic Knight but I'm a bit hesitant as I'm not sure what I should be putting my points into as I didn't want to waste them. Anyone have any guides/builds that I can shoot for? After doing a bit of search on here it seems I should have finished up the Duelist class first. But even with that all I see is "GK and Duelist combo is a great build" but doesn't go any further than that. I find the melee very satisfying and want to stick with that but again, don't want to waste points.

Ok, picked this game up last week and it's great. I mostly was lost but after reading plenty of faqs, etc I've managed to make some sense of the battle system and get to lvl 25. I started out on the Striker path and got as far as Samurai Gunner (mastered) then switched. I am working on finishing up Galactic Knight but I'm a bit hesitant as I'm not sure what I should be putting my points into as I didn't want to waste them. Anyone have any guides/builds that I can shoot for? After doing a bit of search on here it seems I should have finished up the Duelist class first. But even with that all I see is "GK and Duelist combo is a great build" but doesn't go any further than that. I find the melee very satisfying and want to stick with that but again, don't want to waste points.
Once you've mastered a class you can equip the weapons (and the arts tied to those weapons) of that class when you switch classes. It will tell you on the arts screen if an art is a Longsword art or a Rifle art etc. Those comments are probably saying that you use a weapon from each and a mix of the Skills.

Oh yeah. Skills are different from arts and are basically buffs for use in battle. Some of them make a huge difference when upgraded all the way, so sometimes it may be better to upgrade a skill than to spend those BP on an art.

If you like using a particular weapon's arts, have at it. There are ways to optimise the amount of damage you do so you can out-fight a skell, but that won't be relevant until the post-game, when you can better farm for materials to craft the right augments. By that time, you'll have unlocked repeatable missions that'll rake in BP like there's no tomorrow, so play how you like for now.

The "builds" that people put together are usually combinations of gear, augments and arts that have stacking buffs to boost your Tension Points while in battle (so you can chain overdrive uses together) and maximise your damage output. Read the descriptions and experiment.

There are plenty of viable builds. Galactic Knight has a skill, for example, that boosts Ether damage by a huge amount, so a Galactic Knight with that skill, all Ether weapons and Ether damage boosting augments will do a lot of damage. Duelist has lots of melee arts that hit multiple times, so pairing those with arts and skills that boost tension on a per hit basis is a good way to stack up Tension Points. Mastermind has arts and skills that take advantage of the Sleep status effect. Pair these with Soft Touch (% chance to not wake a sleeping enemy while attacking) augments and the right skills and you can take full advantage of the status effect. That's not even mentioning the overpowered Brain Jack / Servant Sacrifice combo (gives you a chance to kill high level monsters when you're still low level so you can jack up your experience).

Renewed

As far as I can tell from personal experience, getting to 100 resistance nullified damage of that attribute (or just did 1 damage, but that was for Lugalbanda). It seems to be a straight forward percentage reduction. So getting over 100 to deal with Attribute Res Down is something I used to do.

I built an Ares 90, and apart from that ridonkulous boss-killing 1500 fuel Ether art, it's really not that overpowered. I fought a tyrant while deliberately not using that art and it went for a decently long time.

Where it really shines though is its evasion stat. Nothing hits this thing.

Except maybe that sleeping tyrant in the cave in Noctilum. Good gravy.

Can anyone tell me how Treasure Sensor works? I'm grinding for the Arts: TP Up XX augment and having trouble getting drops. Is it shared across the whole party? Does it cap at 100%? Does it actually lift the drop rate to 100%?

Vena

I built an Ares 90, and apart from that ridonkulous boss-killing 1500 fuel Ether art, it's really not that overpowered. I fought a tyrant while deliberately not using that art and it went for a decently long time.

Where it really shines though is its evasion stat. Nothing hits this thing.

Except maybe that sleeping tyrant in the cave in Noctilum. Good gravy.

If you want evasion, the level 60 Urban is able to become absolutely untouchable to all attacks and its evasion stat is far and above that of the Ares. You can just stand around and auto-attack because nothing can hit you except for three specific late game bosses and only occasionally if they get a stagger affect out on you which seems to bypass the evasion stat.

Pharsis the Everqueen, the thing sleeping in Noctilum, is one of the *per region* ultimate Tyrants in the game (though Noctilum technically has two as does Primordia). She's easy to kill with both the Ares and the Urban, and you can one shot her along with everything else with a properly specced Mastema (which is the most powerful Skell frame but requires building both the Amdusias and the Mastema at level 60 along with a lot of augment grinds).

The only Tyrants that's actually super-annoying for Skells is the Headless King who is easier and faster to kill with a broken ground build than he is with a Skell. He also doesn't fly so that makes him a prime target for that.

matmanx1

Just finished up Chapter 12 and the story stuff! My goodness that was something! I'm going to have to think about and process what I saw for a bit but first impressions are that I liked the ending a lot.

It ends up being satisfying but also mysterious and answers many questions while asking a new, big one. The story is not the best reason to play this game but the search for the Lifehold core and the struggle with the Ganglion did make me want to see what happened next and to get to the ending. In that respect, the game's scenario is successful despite the story bits taking a back seat to the exploration and gameplay.

Vic_Viper

Been wanting to finish this game for a few weeks but last time I played was after getting stuck on the boss for chapter 8 (I think). The one everyone considers as the hardest fight up to that point.

What are some good spots to grind out my classes to prepare for the fight? I want to say I was around level 40.

Still have a hard time getting enough cash also. Only have the one skell and trying to finish the chapter I'm on so I can finally get the flight ability.

Been wanting to finish this game for a few weeks but last time I played was after getting stuck on the boss for chapter 8 (I think). The one everyone considers as the hardest fight up to that point.

What are some good spots to grind out my classes to prepare for the fight? I want to say I was around level 40.

Still have a hard time getting enough cash also. Only have the one skell and trying to finish the chapter I'm on so I can finally get the flight ability.
You'll have more fun doing missions rather than trying to level grind, to be honest.

If you must grind though, check your skell weapon inventory and see if you have a Right Back weapon called a G-Buster or a Right Shoulder weapon called a Phoenix. If you don't, there are level 15-20 puges (the Star Wars droid looking robots) in Oblivia that I think drop level 20 versions (equippable on the free skell). The puges in Badr Basin drop level 50 versions and the ones in Bedrock Hold in Primordia drop level 60 versions. You can buy level 30 G-busters at the shops.

These are powerful, if fuel-thirsty weapons that make short work of most non-boss enemies in those tiers. Phoenix is especially handy for getting rid of mobs of enemies, because it hits everything within a damage radius of your skell (above and below too) three times. With those equipped, you can take on higher level enemies and jack your levels up pretty quickly.

As for money, how much have you been exploring? If you've been finding vantage points and unexplored territories, these count as "sightseeing spots" and these are tied to the nearest miranium probe location (look at the description of each probe location and it'll say if any sightseeing spots are tied to it). These sightseeing spots massively increase the amount of potential revenue that probe can generate and are more important than the letter rating. A D-rated location with two sightseeing spots generates more income than a B-rated spot with none.

Puy research probes in these locations once you've unlocked those sightseeing spots. Also remember to link probes of the same type if you can and take advantage of duplicator probes. They copy EVERYTHING that's going on in adjacent probe locations and ignore what's going on at their own spot, so it's best to place them at "crossroads" near multiple other high revenue spots so they're copying more than one good research probe at a time. Duplicator probes are also compatible with booster probes, so you can get huge revenues with the right placement. I'm currently pulling in nearly 300K per haul.

The other thing to keep in mind is that mining probes drop your revenue by a lot. You need mining probes for miranium and miranium eventually becomes more important than money, but at this stage, any miranium you bring in over your storage limit is wasted. Basically take out any mining probes you don't absolutely need and replace them with basic probes and you'll see your revenue go up.

kunonabi

Well finished all the online play awards so I'm down to just the kill 100 of X missions. I decided to start with the obvious problem first and he's decided to be a total dick about things all of a sudden. I can kill him in two shots but he's started doing his knockdown attacks constantly and started resisting most of the damage too so at this pace It will probably be at least a month before I kill him another 90 times.

If the entirety of the next generation passes and "Xenoblade X-2" isn't announced, then I will lose hope. Until then I will not despair.
I don't know if we're going to get an actual sequel. Xenoblade Chronicles Y is probably going to be a spiritual successor that reuses a lot of the same themes, characters and motifs, but is its own independent thing, like how the numbered Final Fantasy games are.

The good news is that Breath of the Wild may scratch some of the itch in the meantime. I haven't seen too much of it beyond the E3 trailer, but it seems to have quite a bit of Xenoblade DNA in it.

If the entirety of the next generation passes and "Xenoblade X-2" isn't announced, then I will lose hope. Until then I will not despair.
I'm hopeful they will produce more Xeno games, I didn't realize how much I loved xenoblade chronicles x until I tried playing some other RPGs and was disappointed that it was not xenoblade chronicles x.

MomoQca

I'm hopeful they will produce more Xeno games, I didn't realize how much I loved xenoblade chronicles x until I tried playing some other RPGs and was disappointed that it was not xenoblade chronicles x.

Based on Takahashi's previous comments, I think you have nothing to worry about. MS is known for their large-scale RPGs, so we'll be getting more Xeno games—a third Xenoblade game is the most probable outcome IMO.

Now the question is: will it continue the story left off in XCX...or will we get a new standalone game with loose references to both Xenoblades? Personally hoping for the former. Anyway, Takahashi's only given us vague answers, but it seems like he has a clear idea of what he intends to do with the series' direction.

jwj442

Just got this game, close to starting chapter 4. I picked an Enforcer for my first class.

Been wondering about party composition. Do I need to keep Elma and Lin around most of the time to keep them leveled for the required missions?

Also, picking arts for my party members can be overwhelming - figuring out my own is already tricky! How many TP arts is it wise to load on one character? How important is toppling in this game compared to the original?

With soul voices, who gets the bonus set in the soul voice menu? The party members who follow it or the character calling it out?

Just got this game, close to starting chapter 4. I picked an Enforcer for my first class.

Been wondering about party composition. Do I need to keep Elma and Lin around most of the time to keep them leveled for the required missions?

Also, picking arts for my party members can be overwhelming - figuring out my own is already tricky! How many TP arts is it wise to load on one character? How important is toppling in this game compared to the original?

With soul voices, who gets the bonus set in the soul voice menu? The party members who follow it or the character calling it out?

1. No not really. Worst case scenario it's easy enough to power level them back up if you need to. I switched up party members all the time.

2. Keep as many TP arts that you think you can sustain. I usually rolled around 4 of them, but I was running around with a build somewhat focused on gaining TP.

3. Staggering/Toppling is still an important mechanic.

4. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I believe it's the one who follows it.

1. No not really. Worst case scenario it's easy enough to power level them back up if you need to. I switched up party members all the time.

2. Keep as many TP arts that you think you can sustain. I usually rolled around 4 of them, but I was running around with a build somewhat focused on gaining TP.

3. Staggering/Toppling is still an important mechanic.

4. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I believe it's the one who follows it.
In-game, it's not always so easy to build up TP as it becomes later on when you get better equipment, arts, skills and augments etc. You can build up TP faster on certain arts with an aura active, during overdrive and certain skills equipped (and maxed out) but all these things get unlocked as you go along.

Until you're more comfortable with the battle system, I say stick with one or two really useful TP arts. Otherwise they just take up slots that you can never use because you're constantly blowing your load in terms of TP. When you unlock skills and non-TP arts that build up your TP quickly, make sure to equip and upgrade those and pair them with your TP arts.

Some of the other characters have arts that can give other party members TP at the cost of their own. It can be useful to have those on your allies, especially since in terms of dealing damage, you're likely going to be doing the majority of the heavy lifting during battles.

kunonabi

So I spent the last few days building the Zenith Cannon one-hit kill setup and it isn't working. It comes pretty close to killing Pharsis although sometimes it does less than half its health. Is there something I'm missing?

I did all the affix strengthening, I have all the augments, I have the Doll skills equipped, and I have the ground Doll augments too.

Vena

So I spent the last few days building the Zenith Cannon one-hit kill setup and it isn't working. It comes pretty close to killing Pharsis although sometimes it does less than half its health. Is there something I'm missing?

I did all the affix strengthening, I have all the augments, I have the Doll skills equipped, and I have the ground Doll augments too.

Mastema with Amdusias armor?

You are using the level 60 frame and weapons, right? That's really weird. I'm not familiar with the build, but does it also rely on something like positioning? It might be as simple as that.

I'm in the middle of putting together your standard ether blossom dance build*. I've gotten it to the point where I can kill Lugalbanda the Wanderer King pretty consistently provided I have at least 5000 TP banked already. I'm screwed though if my TP ever gets zapped, like how the Blattas in the Bestial Utopia always seem to, because I cannot build it back up fast enough. I'm currently only sporting the single Arts: Gain TP augment.

* I'm using this page as a basis: https://www.joejiko.com/b/3250-xenoblade-chronicles-x-ether-blossom-dance-guide

Top Bottom