• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X was amazing

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
The customization and combat are some of the deepest and best a JRPG has to offer. Har Sure story was shit, but the gameplay is amazing. Best in the series for sure.

The only xenoblade chronicles i haven't beaten. I was going through some medical issues and had to sell my wii u. Will play it to completion if they release it on switch or switch 2.

Im sure i will love it as i loved all the xenoblade chronicles games. Shame i only got to play about 30 minutes of it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
My least favourite of the series, shame too because I really wanted to like it being a mech game fan.

I find it strange that Nintendo have not thought about a re-release given its current Wii U exclusivity, its not like it made major use of the second screen.

I remember getting into an argument with some fanboy who tried pushing that it has the best soundtrack in the series, who even went as far to push that the main battle theme was some sort of lyrical masterpiece, I muted them at the point.

Last edited:

blackjon24

The customization and combat are some of the deepest and best a JRPG has to offer. Har Sure story was shit, but the gameplay is amazing. Best in the series for sure.

Really fun game for sure, the scale is unbelievable especially considering the hardware it released on. Would love a remaster.

My only knock against the game would be story like you said and the music a mixed bag. Some bangers for sure but a couple misses.

I wonder if we will ever get a sequel

Go_Ly_Dow

Big Xenoblade fan, but never played this because....

1. Its on the Wii U
2. It seems the focus on narrative and characters takes a back seat?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
My favorite game in the series. Best part about it is the traversal is FUN! You run really fast, jump really high/far, there’s no fall damage. Then you get freaking mechs that transform into ground vehicles and eventually can fly.

re. The soundtrack, the one big fault is you spend like 25% of the game listening to the corny tracks with vocals. Aside from that it’s amazing.

Not without its faults (tons of bullshit side quests/busywork just like the other Xenoblade games + it ends with a cliffhanger that will probably never be resolved).

Man wouldn’t it be cool if we got a remaster as a Switch 2 launch game. It could happen!

Brigandier

Brilliant designed open world, excellent mech and combat, "Some" of the music in the world was good, Graphics for a Wii U title absolutely incredible and the use of the gamepad was good.

Lots of hidden bosses all over the place xenoblade staple.

Characters were crap, the story was shambolic, Music in general is fucking rancid, getting a mech takes too long, that cliffhanger ending...

It was a good game but it wasn't one I'd ever play again unless it had a serious upgrade.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
It's decent. It's not what us Xenoblade fans want though. I glad Takahashi realize this and wont bother making a sequel.

Amazing tone. Music, atmosphere, sound effects, flora and fauna design. The feeling of mech flying was incredible. But questing was a totally tedious drag, and the story had insane difficulty spikes.

There are certain quest-giver NPCs that move around between quests and the game will not tell you where they are.

Last edited:
Does this game require the Wii U tablet?

Technically, yes. Because you need to turn the GamePad on for the system to let you play the game. But, no. You can turn the display off on the GamePad once the game is booted and just set it down and not use it.

It is very difficult to play without it, honestly. My preferred method to play was Pro Controller in my hand and GamePad next to me. You constantly check it to see what’s going on with the map, since there’s so much resource management and whatnot to do all the time. Controlling aspects of the the game that can only be done me via the GamePad, unless you want to constantly toggle the GamePad screen to the TV and interrupt the game, which is possible but extremely cumbersome. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Brigandier

I would love to see Xenogears remade using XCX's visual flair.

I would love to see Xenogears remade imagine the Gear battles with a real sense of scale!!!

Deus battle across to whole Eldridge

Christian Bale Oooo GIF

My favorite Xenoblade game tbh.

This trailer tickles my undercarriage to this day.

I remember being so hyped after seeing the first few trailers.

I would love to see Xenogears remade imagine the Gear battles with a real sense of scale!!!

Deus battle across to whole Eldridge

Christian Bale Oooo GIF
The e3 2013 trailer was amazing. The visual fidelity got extreme downgrades throughout development. But we all know what a shitshow the Wii U was internally and game-wise, no surprise 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

RavageX

I remember playing up to i got a mech that transformed, then I did nothing.

I liked it, but remember being overwhelmed eventually.

NeptuneCL

fantastic game, indeed!

I'm not a big fan of the soundtrack though, specially after the first Xenoblade.

Last edited:

alf717

My least favourite of the series, shame too because I really wanted to like it being a mech game fan.

I find it strange that Nintendo have not thought about a re-release given its current Wii U exclusivity, its not like it made major use of the second screen.

I remember getting into an argument with some fanboy who tried pushing that it has the best soundtrack in the series, who even went as far to push that the main battle theme was some sort of lyrical masterpiece, I muted them at the point.

It would be so much better if you could just mute the lyrics.

Last edited:
I'm wishing I had purchased this before the Wii U eshop closed. The mech stuff looks really fun. I'll purchase this if release on the Switch

Last edited:

NanaMiku

My favorite. One of the few games that let you get in and out of mechs anytime.

The superweapon are all awesome. As an SRW fan, this is like seeing all those attack animation in 3D

The teaser images before really release were really nice

g_img_yanase01.jpg

g_img_rareengine01.jpg

g_thumb_matsumoto01.jpg

Big Xenoblade fan, but never played this because....

1. Its on the Wii U
2. It seems the focus on narrative and characters takes a back seat?
Yes, basically at first they focused on the story like usual. They said the script was really thick. But then it seems Nintendo wanted to focus on multiplayer game, so they scrapped the story and make it compatible with multiplayer mode.

My favorite Xenoblade game tbh.

This trailer tickles my undercarriage to this day.

One of the best teaser out there lol

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I liked the aesthetic and the underlying concept (ie: Xenoblade, but with mechs this time), but found the overarching design to be way too meandering. I finished it, but I didn't feel like it was a particularly satisfying game. Definitely a big disappointment.

The soundtrack was also pretty bad, especially given the high watermark that Xenoblade had.

NanaMiku

I always find it funny that people don't like Xenoblade X soundtrack, even though it was composed by Sawano Hiroyuki. He also said Xenoblade X has influenced all his musics

Does everybody hate all the soundtrack or just the one with vocal?

Robb

Gold Member
It wasn’t my cup of tea, but neither are the other Xenoblade games. I wish Monolith Soft would make something else in addition to those.

Love the look of the mechs in this game though;
skell-oblivia.gif

They really need to re-think the OST if they’re going to make a sequel imo. This was awful. I will never forget the lines at 0:43;
“Hello? Is anyone there? Am I all alone? I need a bigger gun! […]”

NanaMiku

It wasn’t my cup of tea, but neither are the other Xenoblade games. I wish Monolith Soft would make something else in addition to those.

Well, they did make Soma Bringer, SRW OG Endless Frontier, Disaster: Day of Crisis, and Project X Zone. All dead though lol
Personally I want new Project X Zone or new Endless Frontier (basically both are the same)

momocoop-gif.119914

They really need to re-think the OST if they’re going to make a sequel imo. This was awful. I will never forget the lines at 0:43;
Hey, at least is still fits with the setting, the lyric also have "stuck on a whole different planet." I always imagined it's the soldier that make the song lol

It's not as bad as the unique monster song, it's about a couple that are fighting lol

linko9

Soundtrack was amazing, world was great, exploration and traversal was best in the series. Level-locked loot ruined the game. Way too many characters too. Could have easily been best in the series with a few smart changes, instead it's my least favorite. Still listen to that soundtrack though, which I certainly can't say for the other games.

Look over there, it's goldmine!

Robb

Gold Member
Personally I want new Project X Zone
I tried that out as well, not fan of that either. Maybe I’m just not in the market for their games.

I kind of want something that’s more light on RPG elements. That concept image that has been floating around for years always looked intriguing to me, something medieval themed could be cool. Although I guess it would most likely still be more JRPG than Action/Adventure.
Monolith-Soft_08-20-17_001.jpg

Hey, at least is still fits with the setting
Sure, I just prefer video game music without lyrics in most cases. I think it mainly caught me off guard going from the original Xenoblade Chronicles, which has an absolutely superb OST imo.

Last edited:

Aldric

The exploration trailer is still one of my favorite video game trailers of all time.

I'm not a big fan of Xenoblade X's combat and overly complex systems but in terms of environmental design it's one of the most impressive games I've ever played and I'll go as far as to say no open world game released since 2015 has a better world than planet Mira.

StueyDuck

Banned
I always find it funny that people don't like Xenoblade X soundtrack, even though it was composed by Sawano Hiroyuki. He also said Xenoblade X has influenced all his musics

Does everybody hate all the soundtrack or just the one with vocal?

I think the issue was that the most annoying song in the entire game (and it was really annoying) was the most prevalent one that you would hear over and over because it's the theme of the city you navigate for quests and so on.

The rest of the games actual soundtrack while I don't personally remember a whole lot, was decent from what I remember.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Story and progression were absolute garbage donkey turds, but the exploration, music (to a degree), and mech aspects were amazing.

sigmaZ

I think the issue was that the most annoying song in the entire game (and it was really annoying) was the most prevalent one that you would hear over and over because it's the theme of the city you navigate for quests and so on.

The rest of the games actual soundtrack while I don't personally remember a whole lot, was decent from what I remember.
*shutters* Yeah, that was cringe AF. I've never been a huge fan of the trendy Sawano/Soken style of music where they add a whole bunch of harmonies and choruses/voices. There are definitely some great songs by them, but for me to nothing beats a good clear lead melody.

Top Bottom