• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade coming to the U.S. via Gamestop Exclusive (also avail on Nintendo.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
needs more Kirby-esque angryface

image2i0eqc.jpg

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Makes you wonder why they're waiting til April then.
Release spacing, no doubt.

It gives people playing Zelda (or getting it for Christmas) a few months to finish that up and then be hungry for another core Wii game.. and I beleive there are a few high-profile RPGs coming out in January and February they probably don't want to complete with.

Nintendo isn't dumb in this regard (even if people want to think that they are for their own selfish reasoning).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just REALLY wish I could convert my save file to the new version... hell, it would be awesome if it "just worked".

I definitely want to double dip:

1. After all the whining I did, and importing the game for the activism as much as for the game itself, I'd better buy the local version.

2. OCD reasons: If there's a domestic copy of the game, I don't want the import, unless it offers me something that the domestic version doesn't have.

This news was both good and bad to me. I'm glad to see NoA do the right thing, and I'd much rather have a NoA copy in my collection in the end.... but I'm halfway through the PAL version. Do I want to restart the game? Definitely no :/ I'm not that tenacious a gamer these days. I'd surely lose interest. Do I continue the PAL game? Sure.. but then what am I buying the NoA version for? :p

First world gamer problems :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Definitely going to double-dip... if/when it goes up in GameStop Canada's database.

Or perhaps I should import from the US? Hmmm...

Tiktaalik

This thread, Twitter and Facebook are indicating otherwise.

Some of the people that imported are even buying it again, although it's understandable that some will not.

Well we know from the other threads earlier that a lot of people imported it as well. It's really silly on NoA's part to have not announced this months ago. I have no data on which to base any sort of estimate on the percentage of lost sales, but they certainly did lose some from their enthusiast base.

BocoDragon

Definitely going to double-dip... if/when it goes up in GameStop Canada's database.

Or perhaps I should import from the US? Hmmm...

It seems like the Nintendo.ca store will let you order the game (starting December 19 when pre-orders open)

Foffy

Banned
This is the truth.

Isn't it always? Look at the games we missed out on when Nintendo was the king of the market. We've missed the most on DS/Wii than any other Nintendo platform even with their larger output, and both of those have been their best selling platforms to date.

I just REALLY wish I could convert my save file to the new version... hell, it would be awesome if it "just worked".

I definitely want to double dip:

1. After all the whining I did, and importing the game for the activism as much as for the game itself, I'd better buy the local version.

2. OCD reasons: If there's a domestic copy of the game, I don't want the import, unless it offers me something that the domestic version doesn't have.

This news was both good and bad to me. I'm glad to see NoA do the right thing, and I'd much rather have a NoA copy in my collection in the end.... but I'm halfway through the PAL version. Do I want to restart the game? Definitely no :/ I'm not that tenacious a gamer these days. I'd surely lose interest. Do I continue the PAL game? Sure.. but then what am I buying the NoA version for? :p

First world gamer problems :p

Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm gonna by the US version regardless... especially since if the Wii U has BC like I anticipate it SHOULD, then I just may want to play it again in the future when I've forgotten all the details.

I'm 25 hours in. The thing is that I stopped to play Zelda, and there was that update, so now my Homebrew channel isn't working. After I'm done with Zelda I'm gonna try to reinstall it but I just have this sinking feeling I'm gonna fuck it up, and something's gonna happen to my save on the SD card or something and it's not gonna work.

I also feel like if I start over when the US version comes, I'm just gonna try to blaze through to where I was before which is not something that you should do in this game. You reap benefits from exploration/leveling and I'd feel like I'd get frustrated with the re-grinding.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
No way am I buying it directly from Nintendo. Not that I'm a GS fan, but they likely fought for this. That's more than I've seen NoA treat the game itself.

ivysaur12

Banned
The importers are an inconsequential amount of people who will buy this.

If Gamespot is smart, they'll see the metacritic average and give this enough of a push so it can do more than 10k LTD.

Isn't it always? Look at the games we missed out on when Nintendo was the king of the market. We've missed the most on DS/Wii than any other Nintendo platform even with their larger output, and both of those have been their best selling platforms to date.

We also got Baten Kaitos Origins cause of the "fuck, we've got nothing else!" Nintendo attitude that we're seeing now.

How much does Nintendo charge for shipping? I assume tax will be added
so spoiled by Amazon
too. And does ordering online from GS guarantee my copy isn't gutted?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Well we know from the other threads earlier that a lot of people imported it as well. It's really silly on NoA's part to have not announced this months ago. I have no data on which to base any sort of estimate on the percentage of lost sales, but they certainly did lose some from their enthusiast base.
Realistically, it's probably still very small.

Also, there's no saying why they waited to announce it. There could have been legal troubles with the trademark holding it up or they just wanted to released it in April from the beginning and in true NoA fashion, they don't say a word about it until a couple of months prior. I'd almost say that if the GameStop leak had not come up, we might still be waiting on their formal announcement.

I forgot to ask a ? in my post earlier. Does this game requires CC Pro or not?

I have the following controllers:

Wiimote with nunchuck (came with the system)
Wiimote motion plus (bundle with Zelda: SS)
Classic controller (regular one)

I was hoping to use the wiimote with nunchuck or regular CC to play this and save myself some money from shelling out for the CC Pro controller.

Evlar

Banned
Gamasutra's writeup on the news, which I'm posting a link to because it's pretty good:
Over the years, as its fortunes have waxed and waned, the company has endured with the help of a core audience that simply adores it. These fans are the kind of people who run out to buy 500,000 copies of Skyward Sword on its release to make sure they get the gold Wii MotionPlus controller. The kind that stick with Nintendo despite the beating it's taking in the mainstream press over the sales and design of the 3DS. The Ambassador Program proved the company has some humility, and so does this move.

Moreover, like I already said, this game proves something. Yes, video games are a business, and one at which Nintendo lately often excels. At the scale at which it moves product -- Mario games selling in the tens of millions -- the sales potential for Xenoblade Chronicles is comically low. But the company -- all companies -- has a responsibility to publish works which enrich the medium.

Xenoblade Chronicles proves that there's life left in a genre that has become synonymous with stagnation and conservatism. It is a damn fine game, and there are frankly still too few of those being published relative to what's out there. And certainly, in 2012, very few of them will be published on the Wii. It is a game where a highly motivated developer stuck a stake in the ground and said "I want to transform the way this kind of game is made" and did it. How can a game like that not be made available to the broadest audience possible? It is, to my mind, an ethical question as much as it is a business one.
More at the link.

I forgot to ask a ? in my post earlier. Does this game requires CC Pro or not?

I have the following controllers:

Wiimote with nunchuck (came with the system)
Wiimote motion plus (bundle with Zelda: SS)
Classic controller (regular one)

I was hoping to use the wiimote with nunchuck or regular CC to play this and save myself some money from shelling out for the CC Pro controller.
It can be played with Wiimote/nunchuk or Classic Controller.

wrowa

It gives people playing Zelda (or getting it for Christmas) a few months to finish that up and then be hungry for another core Wii game.. and I beleive there are a few high-profile RPGs coming out in January and February they probably don't want to complete with.

Nintendo isn't dumb in this regard (even if people want to think that they are for their own selfish reasoning).

Compete with other games? The way Nintendo releases Xenoblade, it won't be able to compete with anything anyway. It's probably NoA's lowest profile Wii release period.

BocoDragon

I'm 25 hours in. The thing is that I stopped to play Zelda, and there was that update, so now my Homebrew channel isn't working. After I'm done with Zelda I'm gonna try to reinstall it but I just have this sinking feeling I'm gonna fuck it up, and something's gonna happen to my save on the SD card or something and it's not gonna work.

I wouldn't worry about that. Back up the SD card and if you're really worried, use BootMii to backup your Nand. After that it's nearly impossible to "mess anything up". The whole process is pretty harmless.

I also feel like if I start over when the US version comes, I'm just gonna try to blaze through to where I was before which is not something that you should do in this game. You reap benefits from exploration/leveling and I'd feel like I'd get frustrated with the re-grinding.

:/ Yeah....

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Compete with other games? The way Nintendo releases Xenoblade, it won't be able to compete with anything anyway. It's probably NoA's lowest profile Wii release period.
Maybe. But it would be much more stupid for them to release it (exclsuive or not), right around when Final Fantasy XIII-2 comes out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Arc Rise Fantasia is better
I love Arc Rise Fantasia a lot. Both Xenoblade and ARF are not without their problems.

Xenoblade is not a perfect game, nor is it the best RPG I've played (I've had issues with the quest system and a bit of the battle system, for instance). But it is indeed refreshing, and it might provide the gameplay and narrative that people have been looking for in JRPGs for years. The background art is also absolutely gorgeous. People should pick it up.

Arc Rise Fantasia is kind of in the same boat. It's refreshing, the weapon system and battle system are fun and awesome to tinker with, the music is great, the visual presentation is nice, and there are a ton of quests and postgame content for the player to finish. It's a great title and people should not be deterred by the blah translation and the mediocre-to-bad voicework.

Tiktaalik

Realistically, it's probably still very small.

I think the amount of importers was likely small too. One of the unquantifiable effects of this importing however is that a percentage of gamers did go and import this game and these gamers were the most hardcore that would have really driven online discussion of the title. Now with this late release most of these hardcore fans will be absent from the discussion and that has got to hurt word of mouth sales, which is the most effective marketing tool for games.

It would be super interesting to eventually get the UK and NA because we could then see how this whole experience affected sales of the title.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

I think you're giving NOA far too much credit. This is the division whose territory is by far the strongest Wii market, yet whose Wii release calendar for the entire first 3 quarters of 2011 consisted of Pokepark Wii and Mystery Case Files. Even when they had other releases people were actively campaigning for and which they could have easily coordinated with NoE to release.

Any "thoughtful planning" of this thing's release date is quite entirely by accident, I'd wager.

Javier

I'll be ordering from the Nintendo Store and mail-forwarded to my house in Chile. It's how I've gotten all my Club Nintendo rewards.

And my GAF shirt.

Evlar

Banned
I think the amount of importers was likely small too. One of the unquantifiable effects of this importing however is that a percentage of gamers did go and import this game and these gamers were the most hardcore that would have really driven online discussion of the title. Now with this late release most of these hardcore fans will be absent from the discussion and that has got to hurt word of mouth sales, which is the most effective marketing tool for games.

It would be super interesting to eventually get the UK and NA because we could then see how this whole experience affected sales of the title.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. In a way this is little different from a Beta release (except the beta is self-selected for those willing to jump through hoops and pay extra cash). The negligible fact that the hardcore have already played the game won't stop them talking about it.

None of those games are really on Xenoblade's level.

hey look a fanboy. TLS is better than Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower is better than Xenoblade.
pandoras_tower_boxart_japan.jpg

come at me bro.

"The game will be based on the version that launched in Europe," said the company in a statement.

No american VAs confirmed. So the game's being delayed till next year for marketing purposes confirmed. Lol.

BocoDragon

Too bad I already imported it and hated it. Oh well, would have loved to pay less for it than what I paid at Game UK.

Here's the funny part... it was cheaper for me to import a game from the UK than it would be to buy a domestic copy. :p

I think after conversion to Canadian rates, I paid $45 for Xenoblade. This local version is gonna be $50 plus shipping :p

Edit: .....also I don't know how anyone could hate this -_- Not so much an argument with you as it is a message to others in this thread: this is a good jRPG!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's

While that's true, I mean, the same thing happens for people who import games from Japan. There's a small segment of GAF that would import.. say.. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep and have a good discussion thread on it during its Japanese release. That doesn't really hinder discussion when it is released elsewhere (and in some cases, these people will come back in and talk it up with new players).

I think the people who imported Xenoblade and won't be buying it again will still be online talking the game up with people now that a new crop of players will have access to it.

The best part about this news...the BEST part...is this one kid on the Xenoblade thread.

RPGCRAZED...or RPGFANATIC...(can't remember) but that guy. THAT....GUY.

All the trials and tribulations he went through to get that game imported and his meltdowns in that thread...holy shit. This news is verging on hilarious.

luca1980

Banned
Xenoblade is not a perfect game, nor is it the best RPG I've played (I've had issues with the quest system and a bit of the battle system, for instance). But it is indeed refreshing, and it might provide the gameplay and narrative that people have been looking for in JRPGs for years. The background art is also absolutely gorgeous.
Xenoblade is like.....a squaresoft Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom