• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Is there any word on when X is coming out? It's seriously the only reason I'll even toy with the idea of buying the Wii U. I can only replay Xenoblade so many times...
and I'm kinda getting the urge to do it again.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Is there any word on when X is coming out? It's seriously the only reason I'll even toy with the idea of buying the Wii U. I can only replay Xenoblade so many times...
and I'm kinda getting the urge to do it again.

2014 place holder. So I would guess Q4 2014 or early 2015. Unless it goes all August on us this year.

AniHawk

x will probably hit this year. nintendo needs games everywhere pretty badly, and the longer they put stuff off, the worse it'll do. also consider that it's been four years since xenoblade. i don't see how it doesn't at least get a release in japan this calendar year with a release elsewhere in the fiscal year.

Deku Tree

X should release on NA first IMO.
Yeah I know it won't.
. Nintendo should pay attention to which market sold the most copies of Xenoblade.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
X should release on NA first IMO.
Yeah I know it won't.
. Nintendo should pay attention to which market sold the most copies of Xenoblade.

We don't have any idea what North American sales were like, other than the fact it's small pool of copies sold out after 8-9 months and it was reprinted. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that wasn't enough to move the 175-200k copies necessary to pass the Japanese sales.

We don't have any idea what North American sales were like, other than the fact it's small pool of copies sold out after 8-9 months and it was reprinted. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that wasn't enough to move the 175-200k copies necessary to pass the Japanese sales.

fucking Gamestop exclusives not being counted in NPD
grrr

Yeah this OT resurrects once in a while when someone new plays. I'll probably replay it again after I finish my massive backlog of Steam games, so expect a few posts from me in the future. I am always down for more Xenoblade.

Azuran

Banned
Oh my god, why didn't I play this sooner? I bought a copy back when it was released but never got around to playing it. Now I'm hitting myself for doing that.

Anyways, long story short, this game is amazing so far, but I guess there's no need to tell you guys that. I just got Riki and I feel he's going to be one of my favorite since I can tell he's going to a debuff character, which are so of my favorites in RPGs. Currently rocking Shulk/Dunban/Riki just because. I know I'm still pretty early in the game so I expect that party to change multiple times. I'm someone that likes to mix things up every dungeon.

I also just realized I could travel back to Colony 9 and craft some jewels by using the map option in the menu. I thought it was impossible since I didn't see any options to travel by bringing up the map using minus. Now I wonder what other obvious things I'm missing

jonno394

Was gonna make a LTTP thread but seeing as this was bumped recently i'll just post this in here.

About 25 hours in to the game and loving it. Just made it up to Makna Forest and i'm at about level 34. I feel rather overpowered because I always seem to be a few levels above the vast majority of creatures/monsters in every area and even boss fights are quite easy due to me seemingly being a higher level than the,.

I blame it on my wander lust. I can't help but explore every nook and cranny. The game world is just breath taking even when played on a Wii U, I can't imagine how good this would look in comparison on Dolphin. Combined with this is my love for the combat system. Barring Armu I think every time I see a creature I have to kill it.

Currently keeping Shulk as my main and having Reyn and Sharla as the rest of my team. Tried Dunban but i've become attached to these two so had to switch him out. I like the fact that team members not in the main party get XP (not 100% I believe) even when they're not used makes it easier to switch them in every now and then.

Can't believe how much time i've already sunk in to this game and how i'm probably gonna end up breaking 100 hours eventually.

Currently keeping Shulk as my main and having Reyn and Sharla as the rest of my team. Tried Dunban but i've become attached to these two so had to switch him out. I like the fact that team members not in the main party get XP (not 100% I believe) even when they're not used makes it easier to switch them in every now and then.

Can't believe how much time i've already sunk in to this game and how i'm probably gonna end up breaking 100 hours eventually.

Just FYI: The prevailing opinion in here is that Sharla sucks. Her healing is a crutch that you don't actually need. She does horrible damage so fights tend to get drawn out, which means you need more healing. Dunban is a much better teammate to have because he does great damage and can tank very well with his high dodge (due to his high Agility).

Remember: Agility is the most important stat in the game. It affects your hit chance and your dodge chance.

good choice
switch Shulk for Melia once she permanently joins

Try her out for sure, but those two have very different play styles. Once his Monado arts are sufficiently leveled, and especially once you get that one hidden Monado art (
Armor
), Shulk is the most OP character in the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Player controlled Shulk + AI tank Dunban basically break the endgame/postgame. Dunban can be made effectively immune to physical attacks and Shulk takes care of the ether and talent arts.

Try her out for sure, but those two have very different play styles. Once his Monado arts are sufficiently leveled, and especially once you get that one hidden Monado art (
Armor
), Shulk is the most OP character in the game.

I don't really care, considering Melia/Riki/Dunban is more than good enough to beat everything especially in the main game :p

I think I was 79 when I beat it for the first time.

Your items are more important than your level IMO. If you don't have any decent Agility gems then I highly recommend you go get some.

Azuran

Banned
good choice
switch Shulk for Melia once she permanently joins

I did! Right now I'm using Melia/Dunban/Riki. Shulk is on reserve for now since I kinda got tired of hearing his voice :p

Anyways, I just made it to
Sword Valley
and holy freaking crap. This game went into crazy awesome mode once I made it to
Prison Island
and beyond.
Never in a million years would I have expected Fiora of all people to be alive. I kinda put the whole Homs inside Mechons thing together after the Xord fight, but I didn't see that coming at all. I was legit shocked.
I had to forced myself to put down the game otherwise I know I would pull an all nighter and risk feeling like crap tomorrow because of how good it's getting.

Oh yeah, and also Dunban is such a badass.
His fight with Mumkhar in the snow was just so awesome. Engage the Enemy playing just made it even more memorable
. So yeah, to reiterate, this game is amazing. It's been such a long time since I had constant smile on my face while playing a video game.

Big spoiler-filled post about the ending coming up, so anyone who hasn't finished the game should skip this post.

I never understood if the music for the final boss was in a real language or just made up. Then today I read something about listening to the music backwards and found this. I didn't quite hear all of the lines listed on the page, but I definitely heard "Xenoblade" multiple times, "Sorry God," "Some say I'll make it through," "Xenoblade will adjust our names," and another one or two things in English. Does anyone else hear this, or am I just being crazy? I'm sure it seems pretty strange, but those lines fit the final battle, too. I also tried playing "The God-Slaying Sword" in reverse, but it was too loud to make anything out. I've barely found any info about this online, so I was wondering if anyone here knew about it.

Dunbar

I just fought Xorn, and man, I wish they'd tell you when you don't need to defeat the boss entirely. That was, by far, the hardest fight I've had, and I just couldn't see any way I was going to beat him between his attacks and all the minions he kept summoning. What a relief when the fight ended.

ps. What a scene after!

I played yesterday for the first time in a while. Apparently I left off in C
entra
l F
actor
y. I have a max level Quick Step gem and both +movespeed skills on Shulk so I blazed through it and got to A
gnarith
a. This is always the point of the game where I take a break and go hunt down all the unique monsters, because after you progress through here a bunch of areas get closed off. I had apparently already cleared Colony 9 and Tephra Cave of uniques, so I went to Bionis' Leg (dat music) and killed the two huge gorilla uniques, the wisp, the sniper bird, and the roaming triceratops. Those sweet, sweet Affinity Coins just break the game. I am so insanely OP at this point (I think this is my fourth or fifth NG+).

My gametime is 272 hours. I'm pretty sure that's the most time I've ever put into a console RPG by a long shot.

Big spoiler-filled post about the ending coming up, so anyone who hasn't finished the game should skip this post.

I never understood if the music for the final boss was in a real language or just made up. Then today I read something about listening to the music backwards and found this. I didn't quite hear all of the lines listed on the page, but I definitely heard "Xenoblade" multiple times, "Sorry God," "Some say I'll make it through," "Xenoblade will adjust our names," and another one or two things in English. Does anyone else hear this, or am I just being crazy? I'm sure it seems pretty strange, but those lines fit the final battle, too. I also tried playing "The God-Slaying Sword" in reverse, but it was too loud to make anything out. I've barely found any info about this online, so I was wondering if anyone here knew about it.

That's very interesting and a bit creepy. I loved that song though, it's great for that boss fight.

I just fought Xorn, and man, I wish they'd tell you when you don't need to defeat the boss entirely. That was, by far, the hardest fight I've had, and I just couldn't see any way I was going to beat him between his attacks and all the minions he kept summoning. What a relief when the fight ended.

ps. What a scene after!

I think Xord was the toughest boss in the game for me. He kept kicking my ass so eventually I lost my patience and just looked up a video on YouTube showing how to beat him.

Chairhome

Started playing again (been going really slowly, unfortunately), but still digging the story. The game runs between 20-30 fps on dolphin on my machine during battles, so the gameplay gets a little slow sometimes. Story keeps me going though! I loved FFXII's battle system, so this is right up that alley, but the equipment management gets kind of tedious. When you remove a piece of armor, it should remove that crystal :-/.

I've been sticking with Shulk as my main, with reyn and sharla, but i'll mix it up with dunban going off of the recommendations above.

I started playing this again on my Wii U and I'm honestly surprised by how much better it looks than it looked on my Wii in component. Like, from unplayable mess on a big TV to not that bad!

meow

I played yesterday for the first time in a while. Apparently I left off in C
entra
l F
actor
y. I have a max level Quick Step gem and both +movespeed skills on Shulk so I blazed through it and got to A
gnarith
a. This is always the point of the game where I take a break and go hunt down all the unique monsters, because after you progress through here a bunch of areas get closed off. I had apparently already cleared Colony 9 and Tephra Cave of uniques, so I went to Bionis' Leg (dat music) and killed the two huge gorilla uniques, the wisp, the sniper bird, and the roaming triceratops. Those sweet, sweet Affinity Coins just break the game. I am so insanely OP at this point (I think this is my fourth or fifth NG+).
Wait, so I'm at that point (still on my first playthrough), should I also clear the uniques out of all those areas you listed? Pretty sure I'm too low level to take on those gorillas, don't even remember the other ones. I haven't played this game in months (hard when you're away for school) so I was going to pick some of it up in my week home.

Wait, so I'm at that point (still on my first playthrough), should I also clear the uniques out of all those areas you listed? Pretty sure I'm too low level to take on those gorillas, don't even remember the other ones. I haven't played this game in months (hard when you're away for school) so I was going to pick some of it up in my week home.

No, not all those places lol. You won't be able to take on those gorillas until late or even post-game. Just the areas on
Mechonis: Sword Valley, Galahad Fortress, Mechonis Field, Central Factory, and Agnaritha. Because something may happen in the story soon that makes Mechonis unavailable for the rest of the game. The story really picks up at this point, so I don't want to spoil anything! Hurry up and play!

jonno394

Got distracted from the main game and become addicted to the affinity chart. Nearly done all the quests and finished colony 9 but Can't For the life of me get some of the connections though :/

For example francoise x suzanna , moritz x Kantz

meow

No, not all those places lol. You won't be able to take on those gorillas until late or even post-game. Just the areas on
Mechonis: Sword Valley, Galahad Fortress, Mechonis Field, Central Factory, and Agnaritha. Because something may happen in the story soon that makes Mechonis unavailable for the rest of the game. The story really picks up at this point, so I don't want to spoil anything! Hurry up and play!

Ok haha, that's kind of what I thought, too. I kind of have an idea of what happens because I accidentally spoiled some stuff when I did a bunch of affinity grinding and was looking stuff up online, but only very vaguely and not in any detail.

I might only have time to find the uniques and take them out then, then tackle the plot once I'm back at the end of the summer. :/ Man, I've been playing this game since launch and I haven't managed to finish it yet.

Matesamo

Someone on my Twitter feed posted that there would be an HD remake announced at E3 released three months before X. Then said he was just kidding. My heart broke.

Dunbar

One of the coolest things in the game so far is beating a unique/named enemy that is the same level as you. Normally I get my ass kicked, but sometimes through careful planning, luck and helpful AI, I can take one down. And since the penalty for death is so slight, there's no harm in trying it a few times just to see if it's possible.

Azuran

Banned
"I'm nothing compared to her"

OMG, don't say that Melia! All these Shulk/Fiora scenes are breaking my will to continue. It's getting too much for my poor heart guys ; ;

I can tell the way this is going. it's okay Melia. You'll always be #1 in my heart :)

OMG, don't say that Melia! All these Shulk/Fiora scenes are breaking my will to continue. It's getting too much for my poor heart guys ; ;

I can tell the way this is going. it's okay Melia. You'll always be #1 in my heart :)

Melia noooo
chansub-global-emoticon-f6c13c7fc0a5c93d-36x30.png

Melia is still the best though!

Yeah that was sad lol. But I still
like Fiora better (before she transforms back into a human). She is such a badass with her machina body.

Dunbar

I spend an amazing amount of time in this game wandering around doing nothing. Played for five hours yesterday and I doubt I advanced the plot more than about 15 minutes. More of the same today!

edit: I'm running low on inventory space, can I pretty much sell any Materials that aren't marked for a quest? I can't think of anything I've had to use them for.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sorry to bump this thread, but I just thought I'd post in my excitement...Finally got a copy that I will be diving into this week! Brand new "used" copy from GameStop (working CN code and all, ha).

Anything I should care about or read before I dive in, or just let it happen?

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just thought I'd post in my excitement...Finally got a copy that I will be diving into this week! Brand new "used" copy from GameStop (working CN code and all, ha).

Just jump in and enjoy the game. It does a pretty good job of explaining most of the systems, but you can always ask on here if you have any questions.

Once you get further in the game and have more party members, make sure to change things up and try out different characters and combinations.

I am jumping in today as well... We will have to sit at the little table until we are wise enough to hang with the grown ups. I am excited about getting into this game, I have heard nothing but praise from all different types of gamers.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just jump in and enjoy the game. It does a pretty good job of explaining most of the systems, but you can always ask on here if you have any questions.

Once you get further in the game and have more party members, make sure to change things up and try out different characters and combinations.

Cool - are there are lot of missables? I seem to remember reading that the game does a really good job of indicating anything that can be missed (as long as you check your quest log often).

I am jumping in today as well... We will have to sit at the little table until we are wise enough to hang with the grown ups. I am excited about getting into this game, I have heard nothing but praise from all different types of gamers.

Yup - so many folks adore this game. I've played about 2 hours when it first came out, but I never had time to get into it until, well, now. So here we are - lucky enough to get a copy at what I consider to be a fair price (given that it's brand new, ha).

Cool - are there are lot of missables? I seem to remember reading that the game does a really good job of indicating anything that can be missed (as long as you check your quest log often).

Some quests expire at a certain point in the story, but these will all be marked with a special note in the quest log (a clock indicating there's a time they expire), and for the most part you have quite a while until you hit the point that you lose out on them. Just keep that in mind when getting further along in the story.

Also picked it up. Was going to wait till I finished my second playthrough of Dark Souls but I'm excited to play it. What's the best controller to use I got the wii remote and nunchuk and a classic controller ( no pro).

Also picked it up. Was going to wait till I finished my second playthrough of Dark Souls but I'm excited to play it. What's the best controller to use I got the wii remote and nunchuk and a classic controller ( no pro).

I am using wiimote and nunchuk and have had no issues with the controls so far. It does make me miss a regular controller for RPG's but there is no learning curve in going the route I did.

My God, this game is amazing. I went in with no expectations whatsoever and am really supprised at how good everything is.

Voice acting...
Character animation...
Menu design...

everything is well done considering it is on the Wii.

Thanks for recommending this game GAF. You guys are awesome.

JulianImp

I played with Wiimote + Nunchuk and did fine, although I've heard some people saying camera controls were a bit clunky. I've also heard Wiimote gives you easier access to your arts pallet than the classic controller, although I never even bothered trying to use my CCPro.

Damaniel

Banned
I am using wiimote and nunchuk and have had no issues with the controls so far. It does make me miss a regular controller for RPG's but there is no learning curve in going the route I did.

My God, this game is amazing. I went in with no expectations whatsoever and am really supprised at how good everything is.

Voice acting...
Character animation...
Menu design...

everything is well done considering it is on the Wii.

Thanks for recommending this game GAF. You guys are awesome.

My personal preference is Classic Controller (I actually play it via Dolphin, and found the emulated Wiimote/nunchuk combo to be a bit unwieldy -- Classic controls map directly onto a DualShock 4 or Xbox 360 controller).

And yes, this game is amazing. I currently started my second playthrough on Saturday, and I'm already about 10 hours in (
just entered Satorl Marsh after fighting Xord
). I originally planned to do New Game+ from my previous playthrough (which I did about a year and a half ago), but I really wanted to play it from scratch again. Everything about the game -- music, gameplay mechanics, story, the feeling of an open world -- is perfectly executed. Playing it on Dolphin with the high def texture pack helps with the graphical part (which was really a limitation of the Wii hardware, though I'm shocked they manged to do what they did considering the power of the system).

Top Bottom