• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Damaniel

Banned
I can imagine the game is brilliant running through dolphin. What carries over from newgame+?

If I recall, it's mainly character levels and gear/items. All the quests are reset, as are all the social/affinity levels. I'm not sure if the heart-to-hearts carry over, but I don't think they do.

The main draw are the 'secret' areas and the high level unique enemies (some of which are level 120+), which require max character level for the whole party plus specific combinations of high level gems to take down. In my case, I got tired of one-shotting everything I ran into, since the levels of all the other enemies stay the same (you'll be a level 80+ group fighting level 1-5 creatures in Colony 9, for example). I mainly wanted to experience the main story again, and not so much the New Game+ exclusives, hence the starting over.

As for Dolphin, it's truly the only way to play if your PC can manage it, though it takes a pretty beefy PC, even these days, to make it run well. I actually bought Xenoblade the day it came out (not knowing it would become as scarce as it did) and didn't even give it much of a chance at first because of how bad Wii games look scaled up on large HDTVs. I know better than that now, of course, but Dolphin is what got me to give the game a second chance.

That is something to consider. This is my first play through but I think I might have to try it for Dolphin if I ever play it again after this run. Just to see the difference.

brinstar

ok, so I've been playing this again after seeing the latest X stuff... want to finish this game up before that hits, but I'm stuck on this dang Solidum Telethia and Tyrea battle. I barely understand gem crafting at all or which items I'm supposed to be selling to get enough cash to buy better arts manuals... so I just feel kinda stuck. Any advice?

ok, so I've been playing this again after seeing the latest X stuff... want to finish this game up before that hits, but I'm stuck on this dang Solidum Telethia and Tyrea battle. I barely understand gem crafting at all or which items I'm supposed to be selling to get enough cash to buy better arts manuals... so I just feel kinda stuck. Any advice?

What level are you on? If the Telethia and Tyrea are indicated a red or even yellow for their status, your too weak and need to train.

Madouu

I was running around yesterday, enjoying the view and minding my own business when suddenly this motherfucker comes out of nowhere and one shots me.

HyLf0uV.jpg

brinstar

What level are you on? If the Telethia and Tyrea are indicated a red or even yellow for their status, your too weak and need to train.

I'm level 37, I'm just making new gems and grinding for a bit to see if I can fine-tune my party and then I'll give it another shot.

Damaniel

Banned
I was running around yesterday, enjoying the view and minding my own business when suddenly this motherfucker comes out of nowhere and one shots me.

HyLf0uV.jpg

Seriously, fuck that guy. Nearly got me yesterday too. Putting level 80+ creatures among the level 10-15 creatures in a zone is one way to keep you on your toes...

Not sure where else to put this, but last night I decided to try playing Xenoblade on the gamepad with a controller and it was wonderful. This raises the question why can't I play with just the game pad, now that would be glorious. It looked and sounded great on the gamepad.

Golnei

Not sure where else to put this, but last night I decided to try playing Xenoblade on the gamepad with a controller and it was wonderful. This raises the question why can't I play with just the game pad, now that would be glorious. It looked and sounded great on the gamepad.

I primarily used the gamepad as well. Though actually being able to use it as a controller would have been great, it wasn't too uncomfortable to hold the wiimote+nunchuk behind it. Though my unreasonable attachment to large decorative cushions probably assisted in making it a viable setup.

I primarily used the gamepad as well. Though actually being able to use it as a controller would have been great, it wasn't too uncomfortable to hold the wiimote+nunchuk behind it. Though my unreasonable attachment to large decorative cushions probably assisted in making it a viable setup.

I used the pro controller which worked well, I too propped the gamepad up on a pillow. So much potential wasted, I wonder if it will ever be possible.

Arkain

I started playing this again on my Wii U and I'm honestly surprised by how much better it looks than it looked on my Wii in component. Like, from unplayable mess on a big TV to not that bad!

Huh, I actually just came here to complain about the opposite. I felt like playing some Xenoblade again, so I booted it from the Wii U's Wii Mode. I previously played it on the Wii (HDTV setting using component cables), and it looked a lot better in my mind than what it looks like now on the WiiU. Everything looked stretched and extremely pixelated, more-so than before.

Is one of my graphics options wrong somewhere? I tried looking, but there seemed to be no graphic options in the Wii Mode anymore, like there used to be for the Wii.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ive put in 50 hours replaying the game, and man its just as good the 2nd time as it is the first. One of the things I love so much about the game is how it develops its world. You discover things through the environment and side quests, and then said things are introduced in the story, it never feels like an asspull. Confirms to me that it really is one of the top 5 RPGs ever made. Also Reyn in full Orion armor is fucking BAWSS. Dude doesnt even look human anymore :lol

Huh, I actually just came here to complain about the opposite. I felt like playing some Xenoblade again, so I booted it from the Wii U's Wii Mode. I previously played it on the Wii (HDTV setting using component cables), and it looked a lot better in my mind than what it looks like now on the WiiU. Everything looked stretched and extremely pixelated, more-so than before.

Is one of my graphics options wrong somewhere? I tried looking, but there seemed to be no graphic options in the Wii Mode anymore, like there used to be for the Wii.
Im currently playing it on Wii u on a 55" Sony LED. I only ever played it before on a CRT, and im kind of shocked at how good it looks. Smoother, clear, it looks better than I ever imaginged. To be honest how good your TV upscales will probably be a factor

I also tried out Last Story, and it also looks really good

RPGCrazied

Lets do this. Just started a new game today on my new Wii U I got last week. Finally got an NA copy, sadly I can't play the EU version anymore, so I don't have access to my save, so no new game plus for me. I wanted to actually fight some of those high level monsters in some of the zones, oh well, maybe next time.

I've put in 27 hours so far in my second playthrough. Actually rebuilding and doing all the sidequests that I can find.

Does New Game Plus do anything besides letting you keep your levels/gear?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
IDoes New Game Plus do anything besides letting you keep your levels/gear?

No, NG+ is awful in Xenoblade because it actually locks you out of the content that you might actually want to do at high levels. Unless you forgot the story and want to re-experience it without actually having to play the game there is no reason to do NG+ instead of starting a normal new game, or continuing from the point of no return for high level stuff.

No, NG+ is awful in Xenoblade because it actually locks you out of the content that you might actually want to do at high levels. Unless you forgot the story and want to re-experience it without actually having to play the game there is no reason to do NG+ instead of starting a normal new game, or continuing from the point of no return for high level stuff.

I see. It's a good thing I went with a standard new game for my second playthrough then.

Wichu

If you're a completionist, NG+ is the only way to get additional skill coins, and makes it much easier to get AP and SP (since the location discovery rewards don't scale by your level).

But yeah, the NG+ in Xenoblade is pretty bad. They should have at least let you choose to reset your levels; the combat is boring when you just auto-win every fight.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I am jumping in today as well... We will have to sit at the little table until we are wise enough to hang with the grown ups. I am excited about getting into this game, I have heard nothing but praise from all different types of gamers.
Glad to see you guys jumping in :)

RPGCrazied

You get gear way to fast in this game! :p Literally like every enemy drops something. Constantly selling. I just hit the Ether Mines at level 25. Taking my sweet time!

PKrockin

Yo. I finally started this game. The world is cool, the gameplay is getting good and the soundtrack is fucking legit

I was pretty lukewarm on the gameplay until I somehow got into a war with a dozen Mechon at once on the way to Colony 6 and it clicked.

Yo. I finally started this game. The world is cool, the gameplay is getting good and the soundtrack is fucking legit

I was pretty lukewarm on the gameplay until I somehow got into a war with a dozen Mechon at once on the way to Colony 6 and it clicked.

Don't feel afraid to experiment beyond the first 2 characters you get in your party,
Reyn, Sharla

Despite the game seeming similar to an MMO in certain respects, you don't actually need a healer to play effectively.

PKrockin

I was actually really surprised when I realized there aren't any healing or general battle-use items in the game. Not sure how you're supposed to keep your HP up in longer fights. Light Heal + skills that heal when you do chain attacks or encourage allies? Or just git gud?

It's funny, just after I half-jokingly complained on IRC about the "ludonarrative dissonance" regarding
Shulk seeing into the future during fights in cutscenes yet not being able to do so during gameplay
, I got a tutorial showing how to do it! I'm so used to games never letting you do anything cool like that in the gameplay I was very pleasantly surprised.

Golnei

It's a pretty tiny thing, but it kind of irks me that the Monado wasn't translated/transliterated as the Monad. Given Takahashi's love for gratuitous symbolism, I'm having a hard time believing that wasn't the original reference.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's a pretty tiny thing, but it kind of irks me that the Monado wasn't translated/transliterated as the Monad. Given Takahashi's love for gratuitous symbolism, I'm having a hard time believing that wasn't the original reference.

Monado probably sounds better when being referred to as a powerful sword.

JulianImp

Yeah, Xenoblade's music is oh so good. I really loved the plains and Colony 9 (both day and night).

Also, funny that you mention fighting a whole horde of mechons, because I had a really intense fight right with lots and lots of mechons right before some bridge area at the plains. There, my party got nearly wiped out at least six times, but I and the AIs saved each other over and over to avoid a game over. For some reason, it was the only battle where I felt neither my party nor the enemy had a really obvious advantage, and it finally made me understand the basics of the battle mechanics, whereas all I had been doing before then was rushing opponents and spamming back and side attack arts with Shulk.

...Now that I think about it, the battle system was fun, but I'd say it was kind of lackluster once I got used to it, since I found myself doing the same tactics over and over, which only varied depending on the character I was controlling at the time.

PKrockin

Yeah, Xenoblade's music is oh so good. I really loved the plains and Colony 9 (both day and night).

Also, funny that you mention fighting a whole horde of mechons, because I had a really intense fight right with lots and lots of mechons right before some bridge area at the plains. There, my party got nearly wiped out at least six times, but I and the AIs saved each other over and over to avoid a game over. For some reason, it was the only battle where I felt neither my party nor the enemy had a really obvious advantage, and it finally made me understand the basics of the battle mechanics, whereas all I had been doing before then was rushing opponents and spamming back and side attack arts with Shulk.

...Now that I think about it, the battle system was fun, but I'd say it was kind of lackluster once I got used to it, since I found myself doing the same tactics over and over, which only varied depending on the character I was controlling at the time.
I think the problem is that, like in most RPGs, the vast majority of the battles you fight are so one-sided there's no need to think about strategy. You just get used to spamming your skills and winning a fight in 5 seconds. Then a challenging fight comes along and you're completely unprepared and forced to devise some tactics on the fly.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was actually really surprised when I realized there aren't any healing or general battle-use items in the game. Not sure how you're supposed to keep your HP up in longer fights. Light Heal + skills that heal when you do chain attacks or encourage allies? Or just git gud?

Git gud, basically. Sharla's primarily role is a healer, but you can beat the game and not use her at all once you get a party member to replace her with.

Shulk and Riki's healing arts are sufficient for any fight, and healing skill links range from useful to overpowered.

Someone posted this in an X thread, and it made me curious:

Zenaku said:
Faces from Xenoblade.
Essentially, they used human organs in their systems. The first Faces, like Xord, were just brains and a few organs, while later ones had near-complete bodies.
It makes me wonder if the base technology is the same.

Where did he get this information from?
The early Faces have a spherical compartment behind their torsos that look like they can easily house a full body, just like the special Faces.

JulianImp

I think the problem is that, like in most RPGs, the vast majority of the battles you fight are so one-sided there's no need to think about strategy. You just get used to spamming your skills and winning a fight in 5 seconds. Then a challenging fight comes along and you're completely unprepared and forced to devise some tactics on the fly.

Even for bosses, once I learned how ridiculously overpowered the toppling status was, not even unique and/or boss battles gave me any problems. The only exceptions were the ones with those ridiculous topple spikes meant to counteract the strategy, which is when I ended up using Melia and other characters who didn't rely on toppling as much.

I'd say real-time battles were really fun for me, but the combat design was actually awful in hindsight. Even for uniques and boss battles, the "tactics" you'd be forced to use were mostly along the lines of "don't use topple", "stop visions whenever they come up" or "spam Melia's magic". I sincerely hope Xenoblade X is a bit better in that regard.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Started a New Game this week, using HD textures pack from the Dolphin forum.

It really does a difference, yet it's not invading, everything (especially the UI) feels cleaner and just right. I recommend if you have the PC for it.

Extra end game shot I took, the hairs/eyes look so much better (don't look if you don't want spoilers) http://abload.de/img/xenoq9jpc.png

That looks surprisingly decent, most fan textures look terrible. Still some things that need work, especially the art icons.

Even for bosses, once I learned how ridiculously overpowered the toppling status was, not even unique and/or boss battles gave me any problems. The only exceptions were the ones with those ridiculous topple spikes meant to counteract the strategy, which is when I ended up using Melia and other characters who didn't rely on toppling as much.

I'd say real-time battles were really fun for me, but the combat design was actually awful in hindsight. Even for uniques and boss battles, the "tactics" you'd be forced to use were mostly along the lines of "don't use topple", "stop visions whenever they come up" or "spam Melia's magic". I sincerely hope Xenoblade X is a bit better in that regard.

Looks like it will have a little extra depth between mechs, the different attack types, targeting enemy parts, and a direction indicator implies they are probably incorporating that more than it was used in Xenoblade.

VariantX

Started a New Game this week, using HD textures pack from the Dolphin forum.

It really does a difference, yet it's not invading, everything (especially the UI) feels cleaner and just right. I recommend if you have the PC for it.

Extra end game shot I took, the hairs/eyes look so much better (don't look if you don't want spoilers) http://abload.de/img/xenoq9jpc.png

Can the PC even read Wii discs?? I would love to actually play the game on my PC with the new textures than on the Wii itself.

PKrockin

I'm finally getting used to the accents in this game. Hearing stuff like "What are you on about?" in a JRPG really threw me for a loop. lol

I really hope you're mistaken and there's actually more depth to the combat (I'm still in the early game), but one good thing I can say about it is the
vision system and being able to warn allies and all that
is such a badass concept. I love the idea of morale and being able to encourage the party too. Being that you and your character determine the fate of the party it's cool that they give you a feature that makes you feel more like the leader instead of an equal to the dumb AI.

PKrockin

That swamp music at night, playing on the gamepad in bed with headphones late at night. I can't even handle this much comfy.

JulianImp

That swamp music at night, playing on the gamepad in bed with headphones late at night. I can't even handle this much comfy.

Yeah, Satorl Marsh doesn't just sound amazing at night, but it also looks great. I'd say most of the locations you visit during the course of the game looked amazing, actually.

Also, regarding combat, I was saying that I only figured it was quite flawed in retrospect. I felt like combat got a bit boring once I figured most of it out, but it was still fun enough, with some particularily interesting boss fights thrown in for good measure (mid-late game boss spoilers:
such as the fight at mechonis' core
).

PKrockin

I went back to the marsh briefly and I finally figured out what the music reminds me of: Chrono Trigger.

It was tempting to stay with Reyn and Sharla, but I switched to Dunban and Riki. I already miss Reyn Time. One complaint I have is that with all the equipment and gem slots, and now six characters, the equipment window only telling me if a stat will go up or down isn't really enough. Deciding which armor to go with would be a lot faster if I could see by how much each stat will increase or decrease.

Yeah, Satorl Marsh doesn't just sound amazing at night, but it also looks great. I'd say most of the locations you visit during the course of the game looked amazing, actually.

Also, regarding combat, I was saying that I only figured it was quite flawed in retrospect. I felt like combat got a bit boring once I figured most of it out, but it was still fun enough, with some particularily interesting boss fights thrown in for good measure (mid-late game boss spoilers:
such as the fight at mechonis' core
).
Yep, most of the locations are very pretty and have great music.

I'm not finding the combat to be particularly deep. But the music, the chatter and the morale system make me really feel it when we're kicking ass or when the team is falling apart, so it's satisfying. I'm a total sucker for party/radio chatter in games so I love it when for example Reyn topples someone, you go NICE WORK REYN!, he goes YEAH! REYN TIME! and his portrait bursts into flames. Some people complained about too much blabbering during battle but I can't get enough of it. I still love the future visions too.

led4lyfe

I bought a WiiU recently and started playing Xenoblade again (I bought it when it came out but I never owned a Wii, I just played it on other peoples console).

I'm about 40 hours right now and I just finished the tomb boss battle. I'm getting sucked into all the sidequests which I know everyone says don't do, but it's just so damn hard to ignore. I love it, I spent all my time on thursday finishing collecting sidequests just casually playing and listening to the bomb soundtrack. I have a hard time deciding which 3 to roll with, but right now i'm rocking Riki, Sharla and Dunban. Riki is my favorite character to main, I find him so much fun to play as. This game is slowly inserting itself into my top games of all time. Only complaint that I really have is the menu system (Why can't I hide completed quests?? why arent there more options on the map??)

Wanted to share the amazing joy i have experienced while playing this gem of a game. I'm reaching agniratha at the moment, and it's been such an amazing ride. I've avoided some sub quests but i'm pretty sure i've done some of the most interesting ones, and well, they didn't feel like a shore at all.

I don't know what else lies beyond in the game but i'm really content with the journey i've had till this point. The art direction, the music, the details, even the VA and the way the interactions change with the affinity (just unlocked the Shulk-Reyn-Fiora "You guys never change" - it really made me smile) it has all been really unexpected and wonderful.

I'm starting to believe the claim that this is probably the best JRPG of it's generation...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
hey man, I gotta buy those anti-Mechon weapons at Sword Valley, cause using Shulk is for noobs!

:p

You could use Melia, Riki, and Sharla and not need to buy weapons. Just need to be prepared for a glass cannon to tank.

I'd rather just use Shulk there though. Enchant to raise your damage output > anti-Mechon weapons which lower your damage output.

You could use Melia, Riki, and Sharla and not need to buy weapons. Just need to be prepared for a glass cannon to tank.

I'd rather just use Shulk there though. Enchant to raise your damage output > anti-Mechon weapons which lower your damage output.

Melia and Riki would still have their damage halved (plus their physical attacks would do nothing), and Sharla is Sharla, why would I use her
(besides, Shulk is lame, Melia/Riki/Dunban kills fast enough and is 10x cooler)

Top Bottom