• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade (Wii, Monolithsoft x Nintendo) Information Thread

Jezan

ivysaur12 said:
What the fuck :lol

I'm more than sure that's true, as I never expect to see anything from the BK universe again, but I actually don't remember any part of either game that looks like that.
It looks like Alfard. I have to replay BK :p

ivysaur12 said:
No, that'd just be fucking annoying.
And boss battles would be awesome :p (and frustrating)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ZephyrFate said:
Well fuck me for trying to make the game sound the slightest bit difficult, right?
That wouldn't make the battles more difficult, it would just make them unfun.

jj984jj

ZephyrFate said:
Depends on how it's used... I'd find it fun to have a surefire strategy be nerfed for a good reason.
It'd be nice if they could mess up the strategy without being outright misleading. Visions that lie would only work if there's another (more subtle) warning system in place so players wouldn't rely on visions entirely but still have a heads up (it would be a bit redundant though), dying because the game it-self is misleading doesn't sound fun at all. Lying would sort of defeat the point they're going for too, so like ducky said it'd be better if they could just find more interesting ways to use the visions.

mbnmac

Neo Member
I can't remember the last JRPG I played that was actually difficult, simply because most of the time you can just plan your attacks for rounds at a time.

I remain optimistic, as until you actually play the game you won't know how it feels

krzy123

Gameplay wise both Baiten Kaitos's are awesome. Production wise BK2 reigns supreme.

I liked both, BK poker combos + finishers, and BK2 SUUPPPER combos :)

botticus

jj984jj said:
It'd be nice if they could mess up the strategy without being outright misleading. Visions that lie would only work if there's another (more subtle) warning system in place so players wouldn't rely on visions entirely but still have a heads up (it would be a bit redundant though), dying because the game it-self is misleading doesn't sound fun at all. Lying would sort of defeat the point they're going for too, so like ducky said it'd be better if they could just find more interesting ways to use the visions.
They could just make it so it's showing something from the future. Not necessarily the next turn. Then you could choose to waste turns keeping a barrier on the guy in that example all day or whatever else.

ZephyrFate, I hate the idea of having the 'visions' lie to you, but it'd be nice if they were nonspecific (and, if the game ties in with the trope of prophecies being difficult to decipher and often self-fulfilling, it'd be kinda cool). For example, the screen could flash to warn you, but you wouldn't know if it'd be best to heal up, throw up barriers against debuffs, cast some sort of reraise-type of spell or other defensive buffs, throw up elemental-specific defense spells, or attack the enemy to stun them and cancel their attack. You'd just know SOMETHING bad was about to happen.

If it just ends up being 'warning, big AoE/unblockable non-elemental high-damage attack incoming' then that's pretty dull, but it doesn't have to be that way.

botticus said:
They could just make it so it's showing something from the future. Not necessarily the next turn. Then you could choose to waste turns keeping a barrier on the guy in that example all day or whatever else.

This would be kinda cool.

I doubt it'll be as simple as people think...

ivysaur12 said:
Yeah, it's definitely not from any of the release Baten Kaitos games (though it could be an unreleased locale). And honestly? It looks kind of how the islands do at the end of the first Baten Kaitos game.

This is obviously just me speculating due to my love for both games. I don't think BK3 will ever happen. I'd love to be wrong, but the fanbase just isn't there to justify financing another one.

Screenshot2010-05-20at23615AM.png

Blown up, it kinda looks like Alfard on land. Especially with the color pallet used.

You're right, that is Alfard. But it's different.

bb006127.png

If you also notice in the pic you posted it looks like the whole Mintaka city is separated from the entirety of the continent and there's a path going down, possible to the rest of the continent? That brown piece of land on the bottom right of the screen you posted also doesn't appear anywhere next to the original Alfard continent so I guess that may be another continent or area.

Edit: Though on second glance maybe not. If you zoom in you can see a waterfall in the pic o_O Actually, it kinda looks like a tree too. Hmm...

Shirokun

JonStark said:
Skins changes with equipment, yay !

Oh shi....!

I hope the customization is more than just an afterthought and actually has a good level of variety. It would be nice to have more JRPGs with these features.

Cep said:
Shitty art is shitty...

No offense, but do you have anything better to than complain about the art all the time? No one cares. Just saying.

@faridmon

Well we should get better art when we get BK3! :p

Dascu

Am I the only one who thinks the art is tolerable? I mean, it looks like your average JRPG design. Though that isn't saying much. Frankly I think the Megaten series is the only one with good art design. Dragon Quest never clicked with me and current-day Final Fantasy art is nothing noteworthy either.

Cep

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
No offense, but do you have anything better to than complain about the art all the time? No one cares. Just saying.

You are right; I should bitch about the models more.

faridmon

Bel Marduk said:

@faridmon

Well we should get better art when we get BK3! :p
oh man, how i wished this to be true. Baten Kaitos was one of the most beautiful game ever and we still never got BK2 :(

and leave that cep guy alone, he moans about the art and FF XII has the most generic character art ever. that should tell you something about him/her.

Cep

Banned
faridmon said:
oh man, how i wished this to be true. Baten Kaitos was one of the most beautiful game ever and we still never got BK2 :(

and leave that cep guy alone, he moans about the art and FF XII has the most generic character art ever. that should tell you something about him/her.

Not really generic, but they are pretty bad.

What is the point that you are making?

robor

Will there be any motion control at all? Man the HUD is convoluted as hell, sometimes I wish every JRPG could have X-2's battle system.

ivysaur12

Banned
Bentendo said:

Translate plz.

faridmon said:
this is the only thing i will agree with you. How can a company go from Baten Kaitos to this is beyond me.

Um, I mean I'm probably one of the biggest Baten Kaitos fans on this board, but how soon we forget the puffy pants.

art-003.jpg

Granted, BK2 was pretty awesome all around in terms of character designs, but Nakaba Higurashi is pretty effing eccentric in her art.

Also, if this is localized, I expect nothing less than 8-4. C'mon john tv.

I really like how you can jump in this game. Just today my friend thought games were going back because you can barely jump in them anymore. Jumping in RPGs is pretty rare so this is awesome to me. Now if we can only jump in Zelda too :p

[continues hope] Also, when I look closer at the art posted earlier, I can see how it's similar in structure to Diadem :p Maybe Diadem grows vegetation after
the continents go to the ground.

400px-Diadem.jpg

[/continues hope]

jj984jj

ivysaur12 said:
Translate plz.
duckroll already translated the main points earlier, but here's some more details:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/21/iwata_asks_xenoblade_music/

I'm more interested in the next one personally.
With this Iwata Asks column and the Famitsu interview, it looks like music is a key component for Xenoblade. But there's obviously a whole lot more to the game, from its unique world to what will hopefully be an enjoyable combat system. The next Iwata Asks column will presumably cover these other areas, although Iwata will probably be speaking to a smaller group.

Cep said:
Maybe in that nice alternate dimension that you live in.

Here in reality, 9's character art looks like crap

I wouldn't say crap. But I like them way more than your avatar art :p

Moreover, i don't mind Xenoblade art. I think it's pretty standard.

Top Bottom