• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade (Wii, Monolithsoft x Nintendo) Information Thread

B.K.

Shirokun said:
Yeah, it always seemed to me like the game was just you playing through a creation myth. The prologue for a larger series of games, perhaps? :D

It'll end with the creation of the Original Zohar and tie it into Xenosaga! ;)

Let me in

In that intro video... anyone know what they were demonstrating when they showed characters connected with smiley faces? Looked interesting.
All I got at the top was キズナクラム, don't know what it means.

ivysaur12

Banned
B.K. said:
You mean Israel. Don't forget Jesus had the Zohar before it was moved to Kenya.

Was that before or after the Maiden of Mary died in front of her eyes, leading to the power of Yeshua's (not the Messiah, apparently) anima divided by Mary? You know, after Wilhelm persecuted them due to the potential to activate the universal failsafe and ruin the eternal resurrection?

I'm real glad I stopped paying attention to the story in Xenosaga :lol

duckroll

Let me in said:
In that intro video... anyone know what they were demonstrating when they showed characters connected with smiley faces? Looked interesting.
All I got at the top was キズナクラム, don't know what it means.

There is a relationship "system" in the game. All party member characters are linked to each other in the form of their relationship bonds. At different spots around the world, there are "bonding spots" where you can initiate optional conversation between characters to increase their relationship strength. In doing so it will also allow characters to share or connect with passive skills that other characters have I believe. This is covered on the official site, but not detailed too much.

The other chart is the relationship chart for all NPCs. Around the world in various towns and so on, the NPCs you talk to will offer you quests and stuff to do. By talking to them and completing quests you will see their connection to other NPCs in the game. By solving their problems and so on via quests, you will open up more quests and stuff available from other characters connected to that quest giver, and so on.

ivysaur12

Banned
B.K. said:

Sure, if you like convoluted, rushed bullshit layered with a weird faux-Jungian world view and kinda-sorta-maybe Gnostic inspired mythos. Maybe you can understand it after pouring over article after article on the games. Otherwise, the plot turned into a complete mess by the 2nd act (and there's a reason for that).

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
Sure, if you like convoluted, rushed bullshit layered with a weird faux-Jungian world view and kinda-sorta-maybe Gnostic inspired mythos. Maybe you can understand it after pouring over article after article on the games. Otherwise, the plot turned into a complete mess by the 2nd act (and there's a reason for that).

This is not true. Please do not lie.

Tabris

Xenosaga Episode 3 both made complete sense and is the best game of last generation, just narrowly beating out SOTC.

I wasn't originally happy with this game announcement, but with the recent videos, I'm interested. I'll be really interested in what the story is like.

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
This is not true. Please do not lie.

I appreciated aspects of the Xenosaga story, that's true. I loved Shion and KOS-MOS' relationship. I really enjoyed the first game's plot a ton. And Wilhelm was a great villain and the idea of eternal resurrection was very cool.

Still, I don't think that saved the game from aiming way too high. I've played all three games in the series and am still shaking my head in confusion at some of the concepts introduced. It doesn't help that a six series story revolving around the human subconscious and imaginary numbered universe planes was condensed into three parts (even though Shion's story probably-maybe-I-heard-it-once was supposed to end after part 3).

duckroll said:
There is a relationship "system" in the game. All party member characters are linked to each other in the form of their relationship bonds. At different spots around the world, there are "bonding spots" where you can initiate optional conversation between characters to increase their relationship strength. In doing so it will also allow characters to share or connect with passive skills that other characters have I believe. This is covered on the official site, but not detailed too much.

The other chart is the relationship chart for all NPCs. Around the world in various towns and so on, the NPCs you talk to will offer you quests and stuff to do. By talking to them and completing quests you will see their connection to other NPCs in the game. By solving their problems and so on via quests, you will open up more quests and stuff available from other characters connected to that quest giver, and so on.

Wow, this sounds really interesting and different. I like the idea of having relationships between characters reflected in their battle abilities to a certain extent. NPCs having relationships with other NPCs also sounds pretty cool. I hope this stuff is really well realize.

Shirokun

ivysaur12 said:

And you're hyped beyond belief for a Tetsuya Takahashi game?:lol :lol :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
Shirokun said:
And you're hyped beyond belief for a Tetsuya Takahashi game?:lol :lol :lol

Not for the plot :lol

To be fair, his games have fantastic worldviews. I really appreciate some aspects of Xenosaga's story, but there were others that were really not up to par. I hear Soma Bringer's was pretty great though.

Shirokun

Randy said:
So this one's a prequel? Trailer got me interested, but never played Xenosaga before.

No. It should have nothing whatsoever to do with Xenosaga. The name is merely a "tribute" to the games that bear the "Xeno" title.

On that note:

Pleaseletithaveakosmoscameo....

anaron

Xenosaga really is absurd. :lol

Shit on the presentation of plot in his games all you want because hell, they're not exactly well utilized in the videogame format; but the depth put into the worlds and history created by Takahashi make them standout in a pretty special way.

It at least appears like the guy has finally succeeded in properly designing that around a videogame and the result looks great.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Game looks downright, mo-fuggin' amazing

RpgN

duckroll said:
Game looks really good. There are a good amount of systems in the game which look like there's a lot of depth to them, and the variety in equipment customization looks pretty solid. Lots of very user-friendly stuff too like instant location landmark teleports and the being able to set and change the time of day at any time instead of waiting.

Exactly. Gameplay-wise it looks really good and fun to play, there is no doubt that it's going to be a fun and long ride now. But the only thing left that I'm not convinced about so far is the story. I like the prologue of 2 gods fighting and having 2 different species living on their bodies or something but the dialogue and cutscenes look so cliché, been there and done that to me. I hope it will get better from what we saw so far and if that's not the case, then we still might get an awesome and fun game out of it :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Im really surprised how good this game looks. Regardless of echoing the character art and graphical complaints, the actual gameplay looks....well, amazing. There really seems to be a ton of stuff going on in the statistics, powers, and relationship departments, heaps of loot, a huge open world, as well as the little things like advancing time, teleportation to checkpoints, etc.

It looks right. The kind of game you can sink into for hours and hours and always have something to do.

Hunahan

Banned
Xenosaga was The Matrix of video games.

The first one had some unanswered questions, but ended up being a decent action romp with likeable characters and an enjoyable climax regardless.

The second one sort of fell off a cliff, but still left some sort of remote possibility for viewers to continue believing that everything could somehow, theoretically still wind up making sense by the end of the trilogy if they played it just right.

The third one crushed all dreams of the story being anything but laughable tripe, and retroactively made the entire series shitty with terrible writing that left no room for doubt that the entire series was poorly thought out bullshit, surviving merely on good will and mystery, rather than genuine direction or purpose.

In short: one of the worst long-winded stories I've witnessed in any medium.

EatChildren said:
Im really surprised how good this game looks. Regardless of echoing the character art and graphical complaints, the actual gameplay looks....well, amazing. There really seems to be a ton of stuff going on in the statistics, powers, and relationship departments, heaps of loot, a huge open world, as well as the little things like advancing time, teleportation to checkpoints, etc.

It looks right. The kind of game you can sink into for hours and hours and always have something to do.

I feel the same way, the more I see of this game the more impressed I am by it. It seems to be exactly the kind of modern take on the JRPG genre that'll reignite my interest. If the exploration and gameplay in general are as good as they seem, it should be one of the best entries in the genre this gen.

But have we have anything that indicates heaps of loot? That would put my hype levels into overdrive.

Shirokun

Hunahan said:
Xenosaga was The Matrix of video games.

The third one crushed all dreams of the story being anything but laughable tripe, and retroactively made the entire series shitty with terrible writing that left no room for doubt that the entire series was poorly thought out bullshit, surviving merely on good will and mystery, rather than genuine direction or purpose.

In short: one of the worst long-winded stories I've witnessed in any medium.

*noyou.gif

Seriously, go home. We don't serve your kind here. >: (

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Game looks great, HUD looks hideous. Wish they didn't have the full head portraits in giant boxes on the left side of the screen like that....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ShineALight said:
But have we have anything that indicates heaps of loot? That would put my hype levels into overdrive.

Okay, maybe not heaps of loot, but the 3:30 minute mark of this video shows loot and an inventory.

Ydahs

In general, I don't mind the graphics, but the animations could be a lot better.

Besides that, it looks to be an epic RPG with lots of depth. Cannot wait for it's Aussie release in 2012.

duckroll

Official site updated. New stuff in Battle and System. It covers various new systems like the relationship bonds, the play award achievement system, the item collection/gifting system, and the town reconstruction sidequest.

duckroll said:
and the town reconstruction sidequest.

gfs_29060_2_11.jpg

That would be awesome.

B.K.

AceBandage said:
Which seems to be partially in English, at least.

It'll probably be entirely in English. I don't think Mitsuda has done a theme song for a game yet that wasn't in English.

Top Bottom