• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade (Wii, Monolithsoft x Nintendo) Information Thread

farnham

Banned
Lafiel said:
I probably have more faith in xenoblade releasing in the US then tales of grace.:lol
ah cmon even arc rise fantasia gets released.. tales of graces will probably get picked up by one of the smaller localization companies like many other bandai namco games (we got fragile dreams recently right?)

farnham said:
ah cmon even arc rise fantasia gets released.. tales of graces will probably get picked up by one of the smaller localization companies like many other bandai namco games (we got fragile dreams recently right?)

That's, sadly, not how it works with Tales games.
=/

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
My point was; the fact that Tales of Grace was never released in Japan has no barring on whether or not it was an "epic" RPG for Wii.

duckroll

Note: duckroll is still not participating in this thread, this is a remote message meant to be a public service announcement.

duckroll is a fucking idiot

You heard it here first. duckroll is a fucking idiot. The director of Xenoblade is not Keiichi Ono. It's Koh Kojima. How did duckroll the fucking idiot make such a mistake? Drugs, lots and lots of drugs. Good thing he's not in this thread anymore, or he might see this message and be sad.

duckroll said:
Note: duckroll is still not participating in this thread, this is a remote message meant to be a public service announcement.

You heard it hear first. duckroll is a fucking idiot. The director of Xenoblade is not Keiichi Ono. It's Koh Kojima. How did duckroll the fucking idiot make such a mistake? Drugs, lots and lots of drugs. Good thing he's not in this thread anymore, or he might see this message and be sad.

But wouldn't the Koh Kojima part make him happy again? I don't get it.

EntonCBfreibig.gif

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:

You heard it here first. duckroll is a fucking idiot. The director of Xenoblade is not Keiichi Ono. It's Koh Kojima. How did duckroll the fucking idiot make such a mistake? Drugs, lots and lots of drugs. Good thing he's not in this thread anymore, or he might see this message and be sad.

Bookmarked/Screenshotted for future reference.

duckroll

wrowa said:
Is it the first time Koh Kojima acts as a director? I only remember his work as BKO's story writer.

Yes, all the new Monolithsoft games aside from the SRW OG Sagas are directed by company veterans who previously did not have a chance to helm their own games.

Soma Bringer - Shingo Kawabata

Disaster: Day of Crisis - Keiichi Ono

Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans - Koji Hayashi

Xenoblade - Koh Kojima

duckroll

ILikeFeet said:
nope. I would bet about 500k lifetime in JP.

Ooooooh! I want to take you up on that bet. How much do you want to wager? :D

Darthdevidem01 said:
Oh I thought both sold a million worldwide (obviously xenosaga 2/3 didn't)

I can't help but feel this game hasn't been marketed properly in Japan.

Worldwide sure. But in Japan even if you combined all 3 episodes of XS, you still wouldn't get a million. It would be close though, just like Xenogears was close to a million but didn't cross it.

Parley

Banned
Xenoblade was shown at E3 last year. While this doesn't make it immune to disappearing in the NA, it is a good sign that it is going to come out in NA. As far as I know Tales of Graces was never shown at E3

Whenever somebody mentions game X (lately X = Tales of Graces) wasn't released in NA and Xenoblade probably won't either it is just a poor way to commiserate and usually not analogous.

wrowa

Parley said:
Xenoblade was shown at E3 last year. While this doesn't make it immune to disappearing in the NA, it is a good sign that it is going to come out in NA. As far as I know Tales of Graces was never shown at E3.
Xenoblade was announced at E3 (stealth-announced, but announced) and was on every NoA release list since then. Currently, the odds that it's coming to America are higher than the odds that it won't. Even if GAF likes being pessimistic and hating on NoA (which for the most part is justified).

ILikeFeet

Banned
duckroll said:
Ooooooh! I want to take you up on that bet. How much do you want to wager? :D

my left testicle

Nirolak said:
As a reference for how Wii games sell in Japan: http://garaph.info/gamesearch.php?ti...1=&res2=&opt=1

When making this prediction, you won't want to use anything that sells 3-4 million copies on another platform (Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Pokemon) to help aid your guess

wow, I could have sworn ToG sold higher. a revised guess: 250k

Bear

wrowa said:
Xenoblade was announced at E3 (stealth-announced, but announced) and was on every NoA release list since then.

Eh, that's never been much of a reason to believe NoA will actually end up localizing it. Disaster was also revealed in their E3 2006 montage, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure about Zangeki no Reginleiv but I think it was also revealed in one of their trailers as Dynamic Slash, wasn't it? I have some hope for the localization of Xenoblade but none of it comes from how NoA has revealed the title so far. Their approach seems to be to toss everything they know of in a big montage then decide later whether or not they will localize it.

I do think that interview with Dunaway, where she basically diverted the discussion to Xenoblade and Last Story, means that the higher-ups at NoA at least seem inclined towards localizing the games, if they haven't decided already.

DarkPanda

Wait, Famitsu reviewed this already? I can't believe we're that close to the Japanese release date and we still barely know anything about the game! Damn Nintendo and their preview-phobic policy. We had better get some real info at E3, specifically a NA release date.

DarkPanda said:
Wait, Famitsu reviewed this already? I can't believe we're that close to the Japanese release date and we still barely know anything about the game! Damn Nintendo and their preview-phobic policy. We had better get some real info at E3, specifically a NA release date.

I prefer that than the trailers/magazines spoiling half the plot of a certain game I was really hyped for

ivysaur12

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Huh, Koh Kojima is directing? That's interesting. Koh Kojima FTW.

Yup. I have absolutely no idea how he was as a director, but the script for BKO was probably one of the best scripts from any JRPG last generation.

It seems he was the lead designer on Disaster, but yes, this is his first time as director.

wrowa

Bear said:
Eh, that's never been much of a reason to believe NoA will actually end up localizing it. Disaster was also revealed in their E3 2006 montage, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure about Zangeki no Reginleiv but I think it was also revealed in one of their trailers as Dynamic Slash, wasn't it? I have some hope for the localization of Xenoblade but none of it comes from how NoA has revealed the title so far. Their approach seems to be to toss everything they know of in a big montage then decide later whether or not they will localize it.
No, Reginleiv was never mentioned by NoA. The trailer reel you remember was shown at Nintendo's autumn conference 2008 in Japan.
Disaster's case in another one alltogether. It was shown during a trailer montage at E3 2006, but that was less about the reveal of Disaster than about showing some of the Wii's first generation games - it was the first public presentation of Wii games after all. After that we didn't hear anything about the game for, like, two years and it wasn't listed on NoA's release lists anymore either, as far as I remember.

In Xenoblade's case it was (kind of) announced at E3 and it remained on NoA's release lists ever since. That doesn't guarantee that NoA will release it in the US, but at this moment the odds are in favor of a release in the US.

DarkPanda said:
In Xenoblade's case we got 5 trailers, a several minutes long documentation and a bunch of magazine previews with character information and such during the last several weeeks. There aren't many things in the dark that have to be talked about and Nintendo revealed much more about Xenoblade than about the other small-tier Wii games they published in the last years.

pakkit

Banned
Bear said:
Nintendo hasn't had a "big montage" since 2006. I think they noticed that they fucked up by hyping Disaster and Project H.A.M.M.E.R. as the mature titles and then killing them off.

AceBandage said:
Another sniper, interesting.

Too bad they won't do any actual sniping :lol Unless Carna is the exception since she fights up close.

Also, the old dude's name is Odama?

256px-Odama.jpg

Edit: I hope the world is as big as DQ VIII.

dili

Summary of Takahashi and Takeda interview

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/03/monolith-soft-discusses-developing-xenoblades-protagonist/

Another goal was depth. The world enormous. Colony 9, which is where Shulk picked up the legendary Monado, could have been the setting for an entire game in and of itself. Not only was it large, it was filled with content as well. No matter where you went, there was always something waiting -– a story event, a quest, or simply strong, boss-like monsters. Sometimes, according to Takahashi, there were even spots where you would (ideally) just stop and gaze around and go, “Wow. Places like this exist too?”

DarkPanda

wrowa said:
In Xenoblade's case we got 5 trailers, a several minutes long documentation and a bunch of magazine previews with character information and such during the last several weeeks. There aren't many things in the dark that have to be talked about and Nintendo revealed much more about Xenoblade than about the other small-tier Wii games they published in the last years.

What I mean is, even with all that, we don't have much information as to how the game actually plays. Maybe I've missed something, but so far the only thing I've heard about the battle system is "like FF XII, sorta-kinda-maybe".

wrowa

DarkPanda said:
What I mean is, even with all that, we don't have much information as to how the game actually plays. Maybe I've missed something, but so far the only thing I've heard about the battle system is "like FF XII, sorta-kinda-maybe".
We got a battle trailer, it was part of the introduction movie and I believe we also got Famitsu info on that.

Bear

wrowa said:
No, Reginleiv was never mentioned by NoA. The trailer reel you remember was shown at Nintendo's autumn conference 2008 in Japan.
Disaster's case in another one alltogether. It was shown during a trailer montage at E3 2006, but that was less about the reveal of Disaster than about showing some of the Wii's first generation games - it was the first public presentation of Wii games after all. After that we didn't hear anything about the game for, like, two years and it wasn't listed on NoA's release lists anymore either, as far as I remember.

In Xenoblade's case it was (kind of) announced at E3 and it remained on NoA's release lists ever since. That doesn't guarantee that NoA will release it in the US, but at this moment the odds are in favor of a release in the US.

Sorry about that, my mistake. Even so, I don't feel like the E3 reveal has much bearing on the game's future. Like I said earlier I still think it has a decent chance of being localized, but that decision will probably be primarily in the hands of their financial department. The biggest factor is whether or not NoA feels it is going to be profitable to localize the game. That short reveal segment at E3 is good for promotion at a trade show, but it's a nonfactor when they look at the numbers and decide if it is worthwhile.

The release lists are somewhat reassuring, though. Since the game is already complete, if it is indeed being released here I hope we'll hear about it at E3.

Vinci

Danish
wrowa said:
We got a battle trailer, it was part of the introduction movie and I believe we also got Famitsu info on that.

Watch the video mockingbird posted above, DarkPanda. Don't watch the battle system trailer that you can easily find on Youtube. It's horribly by comparison.

ivysaur12

Banned
In fact, some game events were designed around this idea of “stopping to smell the roses.” The development staff was especially astonished to receive the instructions for one quest: “Collect 400 of this item.”

:-\

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm curious about how they're doing side quests. In some of the videos, it seems there's a very strictly defined side quest log and interface, but are there waypoints for active quests?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:

BKO's lead story writer is directing?!?!?!?! OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

thetrin said:
I'm curious about how they're doing side quests. In some of the videos, it seems there's a very strictly defined side quest log and interface, but are there waypoints for active quests?
I think you can transport or save at any time now, except during an actual battle of course. So there's no need for waypoints, just go to the menu.

Bear said:
The biggest factor is whether or not NoA feels it is going to be profitable to localize the game.

Let's be honest: the biggest factor is whether or not NoA thinks they can get away with not localizing it.

Top Bottom