• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X import videos/streams thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyOdin

What do we know about the battle system so far? Is it an ARPG?

If it is anything like Xenoblade 1, it will be great. Xenoblade had great combat. You had a lot of different ways to build characters using different equipable abilities and skills that could be shared between characters. Most characters had several different things they could be built to do, and combat was both exciting and strategic. You had to know how to defend yourself against the powerful attacks of stronger enemies, and how to overcome their defenses. For example, some enemies could give themselves a buff that makes them near impossible to hit, but the game gives several different tools spread among various characters to deal with those enemies. The game was like Chrono Trigger in how every team combination was viable, but every team was also very different in how they worked.

I can't think of many games that had Xenoblade's diversity of options combined with some really intense battles. Xenoblade has amazing exploration, great music, and an engrossing story, but the game's real highlight was its combat and character customization. I have no doubt that Xenoblade X will also have fun combat.

RichardKSJ

zohar_by_richardksj-d8r2lt6.png

Zohar?

alvis.exe

Watched the Noctilum video for a bit then turned it off. Guess it's media blackout time!

Tangential here but do you or anyone know of a guide for Xenoblade that's written from the perspective of avoiding combat? I truly despised the combat but wouldn't mind giving the game a try again. If there's some guide with tips on how to approach the game to avoid combat as much as possible, I might try it.

Well there are actually people right now who are playing the game by only fighting Unique Monsters and story bosses and doing no regular battles so it's probably possible but would be damn hard for someone who isn't interested in learning all the ins and outs of the battle system and how character builds will tie into that.

The other way I can think of is to play up to the point where you get a certain character (~25-30%) and then use the power leveling trick to relatively quickly get up to the point where story battles are a piece of cake and no enemies for the vast majority of the game will target you because your level is too high. Then rinse and repeat with another power leveling trick if you need to gain some levels at endgame. Just do every single quest possible and discover every location before that point to keep battles easy.

It's funny because messing around with that power leveling trick was what made the battle and equipment system click for me.

Anyways XCX supposedly has an option to lower difficulty level on bosses after you lose a couple times so perfect for people like you I guess.

NateDrake

I hope. Like, when I stepped into this, I fell in love. I wanted to explore everything.

All I see from Chronicles is this.

yhLLBjH.png

I guess I'm exaggerating, I don't know.

Seeing this yesterday showed me that I will love exploring this area:

pevoyl.gif

It looks whimsical, imo.

Bizazedo

Thread makes me wonder if I've gotten old or am surrounded by older people. CG intro was great, game looks decent, but not hnnnnnngh?

Probably fun to play.

Looks great, but the NLA cutscene should've been pre-rendered like the intro. The pop-in/LOD transitions were numerous and incredibly distracting.

I know there a lot of people who hate the music but I think in context they work very well. It fits the atmosphere and what there were going for. The atmospheric themes with no vocals like that one in the forest really does seem to capture the wilderness well. I think from what I heard I like it, because I don't remember hearing much stuff like it in a video game.

edit: Is there a trigger for the wildnerness theme to go into the faster version? Not talking about the battle transition but randomly he walked around and it got faster and added vocals. Just wondered if it was like MGR where later parts of the battle or some triggers make the song go into the next section.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Strange thread title.

I'm looking forward to this, and I'm gonna buy it day 1, but some of this texture work is embarassing. I guess it's to be expected on an open world Wii U game, but it will hard to go from GTAV pc to this.

Jomjom

Banned
Damn everything looks amazing except the characters. I dunno what it is but something about their faces looks super weird and unnatural.

Gravidee

Damn everything looks amazing except the characters. I dunno what it is but something about their faces looks super weird and unnatural.

Personally I just think that the facial animation could use some improvement. Sometimes it seems like even the Japanese voices have trouble articulating through these characters. Makes me a bit uncertain for the NA dub. Might get a situation like with the first game where lip-syncing is off.

Strange thread title.

I'm looking forward to this, and I'm gonna buy it day 1, but some of this texture work is embarassing. I guess it's to be expected on an open world Wii U game, but it will hard to go from GTAV pc to this.

Simple GTAV mainstream mass appeal gameplay to sophisticated Xenoblade X gameplay. Yes, that will be hard! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom