• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XenobladeX |Import OT| Discovery of Superb View: http://youtu.be/HgIXNOEv_40

kubus

...You could defeat enemies 10 levels above you ON FOOT? o_O
I must be doing something really wrong then because on foot I could barely hold my own against enemies ~3 levels higher. My attacks would simply miss if I fought against much stronger enemies.

I really do think I'm doing something wrong, because I keep getting stuck against story bosses. Right now I'm fighting a lvl 39 boss (
Chapter 10 boss, the giant airship thing
and my party is lvl 42 in lvl 30 Dolls. The main problem seems to be that we take too much damage and there isn't really a reliable way to heal fast... :/. Everytime new mobs are summoned, our Dolls get destroyed and the fight is pretty much over by then.

I wish the text in this game wasn't so small, would make it much easier to put together some good skills and Doll parts. Wait, is there a way to level Doll arts as well?

Edit: Oh btw, to answer your question about when you can fly:
You can get the quest to obtain the Flight Pack right after you clear Chapter 9.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Graphics look awesome!

I have watched it, I believe I've watched all the trailers...maybe not the treehouse stuff, but I believe I've seen the trailers.

Hopefully the story will be good and I'll enjoy it, maybe it's just a matter of taste with this being compared to the first, just... I'm not really seeing any glimpses of mysteries or things to play on for to find answers to, the plot the trailers seems to be showing seems to be just defending the colony on the planet. Is that all I can expect to happen, eliminating threats? That with the news about this story potentially being shorter than the first, and it's more the quest's stories that have become more developed also has me concerned.
I just hope theres something "bigger happening" outside of this plot presented so far and it's not being shown for obvious reasons. Like with the first, there were the mysteries of the monado, bionis, mechonis, mechons, even existence itself to uncover, to name but a few things.

As I say, I hope it surprises me and I enjoy it, just expressing the concerns I have, I'll likely enjoy it just for the gameplay alone if the story doesnt end up impressing anyway.

I must be doing something really wrong then because on foot I could barely hold my own against enemies ~3 levels higher. My attacks would simply miss if I fought against much stronger enemies.

I really do think I'm doing something wrong, because I keep getting stuck against story bosses. Right now I'm fighting a lvl 39 boss (
and my party is lvl 42 in lvl 30 Dolls. The main problem seems to be that we take too much damage and there isn't really a reliable way to heal fast... :/. Everytime new mobs are summoned, our Dolls get destroyed and the fight is pretty much over by then.

I wish the text in this game wasn't so small, would make it much easier to put together some good skills and Doll parts. Wait, is there a way to level Doll arts as well?

You can get the quest to obtain the Flight Pack right after you clear Chapter 9.

generally on foot 10 lvs above is the basic limit unless you are so loaded out with stats enhancing gear you will be missing a lot and taking heavy damage when hit. also depends on what you are fighting as you may know larger sizes adds to difficulty same with unique monsters.

Bebpo

Banned

Accuracy is the biggest issue besides taking damage for high level enemies on foot. 5-10 level enemy should be pinkish purple which means it's doable. If it's blue then probably not doable. I'd take on higher level enemies by using a lot of debuffs (attack down, defense down) and then buffs on my characters to even the stats. 10 levels higher on foot is really hard and only doable for certain enemies, but for most enemies 5 levels higher is a good challenge and fun. Size is a big factor too. Small enemies are easier at higher levels and big enemies are hard even at party level on foot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
exploration is damn essential this time, and a ton of fun.

Is it? Seems like there's never anything surprising or interesting to find. Just the generic collectibles and the items that require your field skills to examine to get exp/money. The environments can be pretty, but I haven't really run into any NPCs or meaningful content by running around and exploring in the first three continents. Still only on chapter 6, though.

so what are the cutoffs for enemy color tag levels this time? seems like blue is 10+, and I've seen yellow tags for super high level enemies

Parakeetman

It seem like you have to buy stronger dolls instead of leveling them up by battling. Is that correct?

yes parts also only can go on the correct level. lower lv frames cant use higher lv parts even if inner lv req is met. but higher lv frames can use lower lv parts.

personally its worth it to buy the lv 50 dolls and find weapons off of stronger enemies over buying a lv 50 doll and trying to kit it out with equal gear.

Vena

Is it? Seems like there's never anything surprising or interesting to find. Just the generic collectibles and the items that require your field skills to examine to get exp/money. The environments can be pretty, but I haven't really run into any NPCs or meaningful content by running around and exploring in the first three continents. Still only on chapter 6, though.

Are you trying to ascribe "fun" to anything more than subjective opinion of a person? Why?

Sometimes I think you just want to be disappointed, and it baffles me. X_X

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are you trying to ascribe "fun" to anything more than subjective opinion of a person? Why?

Sometimes I think you just want to be disappointed, and it baffles me. X_X

Yeah, I just drop $80 on games because I want to be disappointed. What? No, not at all.

I just don't find the exploration all that interesting. Now, please bear in mind that I do not have a doll yet, much less a flying one. That could change everything. The on-foot stuff is just a bit of a slog in my opinion, though.

bigjig

Yeah, I just drop $80 on games because I want to be disappointed, what? No, not at all.

I just don't find the exploration all that interesting. Now, please bear in mind that I do not have a doll yet, much less a flying one. That could change everything. The on-foot stuff is just a bit of a slog in my opinion, though.

I'm enjoying the exploration more than you seem to be, but I do understand where you are coming from. The world is almost too big to get around on foot. I think it would've been better to set the game 10 years or so after the crash so that small settlements and towns could be set up in various areas around the world rather than just having NLA and wilderness.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm enjoying the exploration more than you seem to be, but I do understand where you are coming from. The world is almost too big to get around on foot. I think it would've been better to set the game 10 years or so after the crash so that small settlements and towns could be set up in various areas around the world rather than just having NLA and wilderness.

Agreed about the timeline. The environments look cool, but there's very little of interest to see running around. The base camps that are out in the wilderness are all the same. You never run into any interesting NPCs or find any cool loot that you'd use over the store-bought stuff.

I imagine it's going to be a lot of fun to fly around with a giant mech, so I'm still looking forward to that.

God damnit, 20 hours in and only now I realize I don't have any skills set :/

Ouch. Some of those are damn useful.

I'm like 25 hours in and still have no idea how the aggro mechanics work. Getting and controlling hate was very straightforward in the original Xenoblade, but combined with the lack of healing abilities, battles still feel really chaotic to me in Xenoblade X in comparison.

Parakeetman

Agreed about the timeline. The environments look cool, but there's very little of interest to see running around. The base camps that are out in the wilderness are all the same. You never run into any interesting NPCs or find any cool loot that you'd use over the store-bought stuff.

I imagine it's going to be a lot of fun to fly around with a giant mech, so I'm still looking forward to that.

Ouch. Some of those are damn useful.

I'm like 25 hours in and still have no idea how the aggro mechanics work. Getting and controlling hate was very straightforward in the original Xenoblade, but combined with the lack of healing abilities, battles still feel really chaotic to me in Xenoblade X in comparison.

You need to literally set your character to be full on taunting / taunt time extension etc. Also take off the skills which cause taunting from your other party members.

Its good to go through all of the classes to get all of the skills unlocked.

Once you have it set up properly you should be able to hold the attention of the enemy most of the time. While it does not state it in the description the defensive stance ability swords have seems to drop hate as whenever that is used enemies seem to turn off of you pretty quick if you dont keep the taunting up constantly.

My tank MC is using a sword / assault rifle type of setup but all of my skills and arts are set for damage and knockdown besides taking damage with that defensive stance and taunt with the rifle.

If you do not have your character specifically set up for taunt / tanking it doesnt really work too well.

Reason why I dont use the shield, is the skills on it I do not find as useful, its a personal pref thing which is why I stuck with AR / Sword. Also reason why I stick with the AR is due to one of the abilities allows me to knock down mechanical type of enemies on my own. Which is highly useful for keeping an enemy locked to the ground for a while if Elma stagger then my knock down physical attack with the rifle goes through first, then I use the rifle knockdown barrage after. Really useful since in later areas lots of mechanical assholes wandering around.

Vena

Yeah, I just drop $80 on games because I want to be disappointed. What? No, not at all.

No, I meant it in the sense that you're always framing the discussion as if the statements made by others are incorrect. You don't agree that the exploration is fun, that's fine, but "Is it?" is a rather peculiar way to address the point as if you're calling their enjoyment into question. (Also, I'm pretty sure he's a lot further in the game too, lol.)

Nothing wrong with not liking the exploration (I didn't like Xenoblade's exploration or world structure, but I still followed through for the gameplay and story) or heck even the game, its the wording you use that has consistently made me double-take. I just finally said something about it. :p

God damnit, 20 hours in and only now I realize I don't have any skills set :/

Hey, first time I played Dark Souls, I didn't realize you could upgrade weapons/armor until I was getting pounced by dead-dragon butts in Izalith.

I had a vanilla Black Knight Sword for near the whole game, lol.

Bebpo

Banned
Any reason to explore other job classes once you've maxed out a line? I'm assuming you don't keep the artes but you do keep the skills so there could be some useful skills collecting across all the jobs. Right now I just went through the top sword line to be a big sword guy who buffs attack and kills things fast. Now that I'm getting the last skills in that class I gotta think about starting over with a new class.

Also, does anything about your character play into your mech? Like any of your character stats, skills, equipment abilities...does any of that effect your mech stats/abilities at all? Or once you get mechs can you just give up on character building entirely and just focus on leveling up to get higher level mechs and then upgrading the mechs with better parts and mech devices?

Vena

Also, does anything about your character play into your mech? Like any of your character stats, skills, equipment abilities...does any of that effect your mech stats/abilities at all? Or once you get mechs can you just give up on character building entirely and just focus on leveling up to get higher level mechs and then upgrading the mechs with better parts and mech devices?

Penultimate bosses are all mech encounters as far as I am aware (I can ask for more details), but your inner frame will be better than your mech frame in the mid-game depending on the level distribution since its 20 to 50 gap, but you'll level through that. Also mechs will give buffs to party if you have 1-3 mechs and 1-3 party members on foot.

You also need your inner frame properly built for the story.

Parakeetman

Any reason to explore other job classes once you've maxed out a line? I'm assuming you don't keep the artes but you do keep the skills so there could be some useful skills collecting across all the jobs. Right now I just went through the top sword line to be a big sword guy who buffs attack and kills things fast. Now that I'm getting the last skills in that class I gotta think about starting over with a new class.

Go through all of the other job classes. You can still set yourself up the way you were with the previous class. As this game went the smart route and allow the player to equip anything they previously could with the mastered class.

Only irritating thing is having to reequip weapons / arts / skills as the game resets it to whatever the new class is.

Its why I have already 2/3rds of the trees mastered and am finishing off the last branch at the bottom forgot what it was called, but doing my standard sword / AR setup.

Vena

Its why I have already 2/3rds of the trees mastered and am finishing off the last branch at the bottom forgot what it was called, but doing my standard sword / AR setup.

How much time have you spent on the game lol? My friend is well over 100+ hours but I don't think she's anywhere near there for her character's mastery... then again she's been more focused on the 50/60 Dolls.

Parakeetman

How much time have you spent on the game lol? My friend is well over 100+ hours but I don't think she's anywhere near there for her character's mastery... then again she's been more focused on the 50/60 Dolls.

mine is in the 100 mark, but at least 20+ of that is just idling to gain $$$ and me drilling holes in my equipment to stuff upgrades in it. Id say my real play time is around 80 hours.

Im pretty violent with the local wildlife so thats most likely why I managed to get ranked up pretty fast. Constantly went after high lv targets too that helps. lol Now that I have a doll I need to stop using it since it does feel like that the doll gives a much lower value for class points earned, which makes sense since you are using the doll and not the actual class.

I have not checked to see what happens if Im on foot and my partners are in their dolls. Since if that works Ill just stick someone else in my doll and they can smash the shit out of things for me, while I do my usual taunting. Only problem with my doll setup is it needs to be played by a human otherwise the fuel consumption is pretty crazy.

Am currently lv 51. Working on gaining cash towards a 2nd lv 50 doll. Though I wonder if I should just save that money instead and look at the DLC ones.

Went and used a bunch of tickets to make a "pink" suit for exp gaining for my characters who are behind in levels. As there is a lower level armor set that is pink in color that has the exp up II on it. From there I drilled holes in it and added the exp up V to all parts of it. So sticking that on one other character to help raise their inner lv to 50 pretty fast.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow... leveling must slow down dramatically, because I'm already at level 26/25 with my characters and still just on chapter 6/not quite 25 hours in.

Parakeetman

Wow... leveling must slow down dramatically, because I'm already at level 26/25 with my characters and still just on chapter 6/not quite 25 hours in.

It depends really, if you are constantly going after higher lv targets the exp gain still remains good. Also making sure to keep your equipment upgraded which usually is not an issue with drops from enemies.

If you are sticking to things around your level and not taking advantage of exp + type of equipment then yeah you will slow down.

Leveling for me never really was an issue, but then again its due to how I play.

This game most def gives you enough tools to never really slow down with leveling though.

Bebpo

Banned
Go through all of the other job classes. You can still set yourself up the way you were with the previous class. As this game went the smart route and allow the player to equip anything they previously could with the mastered class.

Only irritating thing is having to reequip weapons / arts / skills as the game resets it to whatever the new class is.

Oh really? I thought you only keep the Artes from the jobs in the previous line. So if you went Drifter -> Assault -> Samurai Gun -> General Sword you'd have all the Artes from Drifter, from Assault, from Samurai Gun and from the final Sword class. But then if you went Drifter -> Commander -> you'd only have the Drifter and Commander artes.

Damn, if you keep all the Artes upon mastery of a job then yeah it's worth mastering them all.

Though again I just feel like I'm losing motivation to grow my Inner characters now that I have mechs because what's the point outside story specific battles that you fight as an Inner? Or since Mechs are lvl.30 and then nothing until lvl.50, are your Inner characters going to be more powerful than mechs when your Inners are lvl.40-49? So you'll go back to a full Inner party at that point?

Just kind of hard figuring out the right gameplay balance now that mechs are introduced. Before mechs it was pretty straightforward like Xenoblade++. Mechs change everything though combat-wise.

Bebpo

Banned
Wait, no that's not right about job classes sharing Artes upon Mastery. I just booted the game and changed from a General Sword to Command and I lost every single Arte from the Drifter/Assault/Samurai Gun/General Sword job.

But I did keep the skills from those jobs.

Oh wait, do you need to get the final job (so General Sword in that line) to max before you can get any of the artes from the early jobs in other jobs? That could explain it. I'd mastered Drifter/Assault/Samurai Gun but I haven't mastered General Sword yet.

Parakeetman

Oh really? I thought you only keep the Artes from the jobs in the previous line. So if you went Drifter -> Assault -> Samurai Gun -> General Sword you'd have all the Artes from Drifter, from Assault, from Samurai Gun and from the final Sword class. But then if you went Drifter -> Commander -> you'd only have the Drifter and Commander artes.

Damn, if you keep all the Artes upon mastery of a job then yeah it's worth mastering them all.

Though again I just feel like I'm losing motivation to grow my Inner characters now that I have mechs because what's the point outside story specific battles that you fight as an Inner? Or since Mechs are lvl.30 and then nothing until lvl.50, are your Inner characters going to be more powerful than mechs when your Inners are lvl.40-49? So you'll go back to a full Inner party at that point?

Just kind of hard figuring out the right gameplay balance now that mechs are introduced. Before mechs it was pretty straightforward like Xenoblade++. Mechs change everything though combat-wise.

Basically just think of it as you are unlocking skills / equipment to use with other classes. I didnt bother to look if depending on the class if your actual base stats change too. Though the descriptions make it sound like it. It never bothered me as I kept the same play style for all of the leveling.

In regards to the dolls just dont think too hard. All you need to know is that you will aggro different monsters when in a doll / be harder or easier to attack specific parts and you deal more damage. Thats about it. You always seem to have some sort of problem with overthinking things lol.

I said you need to reequip the correct weapon type as the game will reset equipment to whatever that class is supposed to use. You cant go using arts for the wrong weapon type. Like I said I have been playing the game with sword and rifle as I went and leveled up the other classes. Using the same setup.

Bebpo

Banned
In regards to the dolls just dont think too hard. All you need to know is that you will aggro different monsters when in a doll / be harder or easier to attack specific parts and you deal more damage. Thats about it. You always seem to have some sort of problem with overthinking things lol.

Well, I always tend to min-max to get the most efficient and finish games the most quickly.

Vena

Am currently lv 51. Working on gaining cash towards a 2nd lv 50 doll. Though I wonder if I should just save that money instead and look at the DLC ones.

There's the difference then, she's at four Frame-50 (and one completed Frame-60) dolls and decked out, and working on her wealth for the next Frame-60.

Pace is pretty much identical since the exp scales well with fighting higher level enemies. Once you hit Dolls you can steam roll (or literally run over) enemies and do certain types of quests really fast. It also opens up access to high-level enemies for Doll fights.

Bebpo

Banned
Hitting a weird glitch and googling it other people are getting stuck here too on this lvl.22 Kizuna quest w/Tatsu.

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q14145162414

I need to get the mother's signature at the forest camp but she's missing from the forest camp. All the answers just point to "go to the forest camp" in the cave north of 222, but the camp is there, she's just missing so I can't complete the quest. And the game gives no marker or idea where she is besides "she's been gone for 3 days and probably hasn't left the forest", but the forest is gigantic...

SoLongSoStrong

Neo Member
Hitting a weird glitch and googling it other people are getting stuck here too on this lvl.22 Kizuna quest w/Tatsu.

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q14145162414

I need to get the mother's signature at the forest camp but she's missing from the forest camp. All the answers just point to "go to the forest camp" in the cave north of 222, but the camp is there, she's just missing so I can't complete the quest. And the game gives no marker or idea where she is besides "she's been gone for 3 days and probably hasn't left the forest", but the forest is gigantic...

There is a new quest in your quest list after she's missing, search carefully.

Bebpo

Banned
I've been completing out the continents/side quests/kizuna missions before moving on with the story and I'm down to the dreaded kizuna missions where you actually need to have built affection with a character to do the quest. Considering there's a ton of barely playable characters and the game pretty much forces Elma/Lyn in your party for 95% of the game leaving only one spot and only sometimes since a lot of quests/story missions have a max of 3 players...man, that's not cool. Like I get the Church lady from her Kizuna quest, then her next quest opens but I need her suddenly at 2 hearts affection which is going to take a while unless I only use her as my 4th for the next 5 hours of the game or something.

Basically the affection level requirements for starting quests from XB shouldn't have come back, especially even worse since there's more party members and less opportunity to use most of them.

Random collection item quests for non-simple quests are bad too and should've been dropped. I'm fine with them for simple quests because you can just check the quest board once in a while and see which ones you've already completed without even trying.

Those are my only 2 real complaints gameplay-wise so far. About to hit lvl.30 and get my next set of Mechs.

Bebpo

Banned
Damn, a full party of lvl.30 mechs can just completely destroy lvl.40s medium/L size enemies. My lvl.30 Inners are going to jump to lvl.40ish in no time at this rate. Crazy how Weltall's unique sword attack will basically kill a lvl.40 medium sized enemy in 1 hit doing 30-60k damage off the bat, jeez. The damage jump from the lvl.20 Doll and Inner attacks doing 1-3k per hit to the lvl.30 unique attacks doing 30k per hit is huge. I feel like I can fight most things in the southern half of the world now.

Also, does anyone know if the simple quests are finite or if they're infinite and just keep repeating? I've probably done 100-200 at this point and I feel like they're starting to repeat...

Kalahed

Neo Member
I need her suddenly at 2 hearts affection which is going to take a while unless I only use her as my 4th for the next 5 hours of the game or something.

Well it seems like Monolith answer to this issue are the cheated DLC support quest. You can get your affection real fast with the specific support quest.
And talking about the support quest, one should be very careful with them as they are totally overpowered. You can easily end up making the game way too easy with the amount of exp/battle point/money and so on they reward.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well it seems like Monolith answer to this issue are the cheated DLC support quest. You can get your affection real fast with the specific support quest.
And talking about the support quest, one should be very careful with them as they are totally overpowered. You can easily end up making the game way too easy with the amount of exp/battle point/money and so on they reward.
They're perfect for 100% the game after you clear the story and want to do everything, but that's just because getting affection/money is such a mindless grind if you need a lot of both.

Just beat chapter 10, but it wasn't all that exciting(I guess I am level 58...). A certain Kizuna quest that became available after it made it all worth it, though. Definitely looking forward to the rest of that line.

I've been completing out the continents/side quests/kizuna missions before moving on with the story and I'm down to the dreaded kizuna missions where you actually need to have built affection with a character to do the quest. Considering there's a ton of barely playable characters and the game pretty much forces Elma/Lyn in your party for 95% of the game leaving only one spot and only sometimes since a lot of quests/story missions have a max of 3 players...man, that's not cool. Like I get the Church lady from her Kizuna quest, then her next quest opens but I need her suddenly at 2 hearts affection which is going to take a while unless I only use her as my 4th for the next 5 hours of the game or something.

Basically the affection level requirements for starting quests from XB shouldn't have come back, especially even worse since there's more party members and less opportunity to use most of them.
I've left Elma and Lyn out of my party for 95% of my game, are you sure you're not high on Mirajuana? You're only locked to those two if you're in one of their Kizuna quests or a Story quest, which probably isn't very long compared to time spent doing other things in the game. Unless you're only doing those things. I've been able to raise everyone's Kizuna enough while doing random other quests, that I was able to do their Kizuna quests when they become available without any problems. The Kizuna talks also help a lot with that.

Bebpo

Banned
Just beat chapter 10, but it wasn't all that exciting(I guess I am level 58...). A certain Kizuna quest that became available after it made it all worth it, though. Definitely looking forward to the rest of that line.

I've left Elma and Lyn out of my party for 95% of my game, are you sure you're not high on Mirajuana? You're only locked to those two if you're in one of their Kizuna quests or a Story quest, which probably isn't very long compared to time spent doing other things in the game. Unless you're only doing those things. I've been able to raise everyone's Kizuna enough while doing random other quests, that I was able to do their Kizuna quests when they become available without any problems. The Kizuna talks also help a lot with that.

Well they're required for every single story mission and the majority of the kizuna quests, so if you're always doing one or the other while playing they're always going to be in your party. Yeah you can shuffle them out of your party when doing normal/simple quests, but then you'll have an uneven party since they're required for pretty much the whole story since they are basiclly the main characters in the plot because the MC doesn't speak.

You spend 95% of your time in the game not in the story or sidequests? What are you doing with all your time? :p I'm constantly doing kizuna quests and story missions and I just happen to solve most of the normal quests and explore most of the world map while doing those.

You spend 95% of your time in the game not in the story or sidequests? What are you doing with all your time? :p I'm constantly doing kizuna quests and story missions and I just happen to solve most of the normal quests and explore most of the world map while doing those.
Most of it's been exploring and doing sidequests, the Kizuna quests don't take up nearly as much time as the Normals. I don't think I started heavy party changes until around the time I got my Doll License(and maxed Kizuna with Elma/Lyn) though, so maybe you've only just gotten to the parts of the game with huge amounts of side stuff, if you got yours recently.

I also make it a point to get the Kizunas that need them done as soon as possible after the latest story chapter, so I can focus on everyone else until I'm ready to progress the story again.

RPGCrazied

Now that Xenoblade X is done, I wonder what Monolith Soft will do next. Hopefully help with that Xenosaga HD collection(still a rumor for now, thanks Verendus), Namco pretty much said if they were to ever do it, they would want the team that developed the game.

Kanann

Now that Xenoblade X is done, I wonder what Monolith Soft will do next. Hopefully help with that Xenosaga HD collection(still a rumor for now, thanks Verendus), Namco pretty much said if they were to ever do it, they would want the team that developed the game.

Project X Zone 2

Xenoblade XX

Kick Eiji Aonuma out and let Takahashi does The Legend of Zelda Episode I Götzen-Dämmerung

Top Bottom