• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XenobladeX |Import OT| Discovery of Superb View: http://youtu.be/HgIXNOEv_40

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty standard? Maybe in Call of Duty land, but I don't play those games.

Seems like some major characters and quest lines are part of the DLC. Again, "what I feel bad about" is being asked to pay $100 at launch for the complete game.

It's not that big of a deal, but just seems pretty uncharacteristic of Nintendo. I don't plan on buying it, of course.

(Easy way to get Frame-60, too, if you don't want to grind/farm them out.)

Honestly, that makes the whole thing even worse in my mind.

TheMoon

Pretty standard? Maybe in Call of Duty land, but I don't play those games.

Seems like some major characters and quest lines are part of the DLC. Again, "what I feel bad about" is being asked to pay $100 at launch for the complete game.

It's not that big of a deal, but just seems pretty uncharacteristic of Nintendo. I don't plan on buying it, of course.

¥9,700 (¥7,700 for the game + ¥2,000 for the DLC bundle) = US$81. Not $100. Unless you're talking AU$ of course. Then you're right. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
¥9,700 (¥7,700 for the game + ¥2,000 for the DLC bundle) = US$81. Not $100. Unless you're talking AU$ of course. Then you're right. :)

Fair enough!

Still not willing to shell out an extra ¥2,000 at launch for extra story, characters, and what appears to be time savers.

The time saving stuff especially rubs me the wrong way. Can't shake the feeling that the game design wasn't compromised in order to push people toward the DLC. Oh well, I'll just try to forget it.

is there a lot of cheesy battle music? isn't one of the boss tracks similar to blue dragon's?

Yeah, it can be kind of cheesy, but I kind of like a lot of it. It's all really subjective, of course. Some people like the tracks in NLA, but I absolutely loathe them.

TheMoon

I'm so excited to see this game, I just saw some videos but I played the Wii version.

There's no Wii "version." I'm always confused when people refer to sequels like this. Just to be sure: you're clear that these are completely different games, right? Xenoblade (Wii) and Xenoblade 3D (N3DS) are "versions" of the same game. Xenoblade X is a different game entirely. Again, just making sure this is clear lol.

On the battle music, I've found that if the lyrics 'Stuck on a different planet' kick in, you've generally messed up your battle some how or been swamped by a dozen enemies at once. Most enemies can be dispatched before the lyrics kick in if that song is playing.

When you've the wrong voice actor, you wish that you're MC will be mute.
Many time in Bioware games the voice actor didn't say what I wanted the way I wanted mainly in DA serie. Because of that many fans hates the hero of DA 2. Voice actors were too snarky.

That's why I will always favor mute MC.

Well, you're stuck selecting between some occasionally dubious dialogue choices in this game, too, you just don't hear them. And you still talk during battle.

The lack of VA has made at least two fairly important cutscenes feel awkward and less impactful so far for me (because other characters have to 'talk' for you, or by breaking flow with dialogue selection boxes) and I don't imagine that will become less common as the story ramps up more.

TheMoon

On the battle music, I've found that if the lyrics 'Stuck on a different planet' kick in, you've generally messed up your battle some how or been swamped by a dozen enemies at once. Most enemies can be dispatched before the lyrics kick in if that song is playing.

That's good. I'll strive for that then in my game. I can't stand the rap bits in these songs at all (saying this as someone who generally likes rap a great deal).

Sakura

Was going to purchase and start downloading the game just now, but didn't realise you can't partition a HDD for the Wii U and have to give it the whole thing... Guess I will have to go out and look for a hard drive...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's good. I'll strive for that then in my game. I can't stand the rap bits in these songs at all (saying this as someone who generally likes rap a great deal).

That might be a good strategy. Personally, I like the pop-sounding song that comes on when you fight "Overed" enemies. Some of the music in this game is glorious, but a lot of it is just... odd.

Bebpo

Banned
So for whatever reason the game doesn't autosave when you're doing things like finding landmarks, setting globes (viewpoints), fast traveling, completing quests that aren't story quests etc...

Had my first crash, where the game just reset itself to the title menu out of nowhere and lost 5 hours :( Had just gotten my flight pack and went around and set every single globe outside a couple lvl.5 ones and then it crashed so now I have to set them all again. This really sucks :( Had finished like 10 quests along the way and I lost all that too. Why wouldn't the game autosave after quest completion? Makes no sense. Kind of pissed.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, the game didn't even auto-save after doing the "get flight pack" story mission. So I don't even have the flight pack. Yeah uh, I just lost the entire day's session and probably more like 20+ quests.

I think I might take a break from the game for a while...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You didn't know that the game doesn't have auto save?
It's 100% manual, but I thought that everyone at least saves before every battle after getting the Doll just in case of a QTE miss after it gets destroyed.

Bebpo

Banned
You didn't know that the game doesn't have auto save?
It's 100% manual, but I thought that everyone at least saves before every battle after getting the Doll just in case of a QTE miss after it gets destroyed.

Had no idea. Thought it was auto-saving after quests and stuff since it's an open world game and that's how open world games usually save. It's 2015, auto-save is a thing.

I'd never had a crash before in 60+ hours so it wasn't an issue, but I guess I better save every few mins now since it doesn't save at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's definitely weird to encounter a game that doesn't auto save at all these days. I luckily realized that early on and have been saving pretty meticulously ever since. Sucks to hear about all of that Bebpo. I couldn't imagine having to repeat some of the content in this game...

Bebpo

Banned
I guess the good thing about open-world is that everything I did was optional outside the flight pack mission, so I can just not do them now. Will just move on with the story and 50 hours later when at 95% completion I can do those quests/probes over again.

You'll be glad the game doesn't autosave when you get stuck in a kizuna quest and can't progress story.

Any way,
Nagi
's second kizuna quest is goooood.

No autosave is fine. Although it's a little surprising it isn't an option.

I'd turn it off anyway, rage quit/reload is an essential part of the RPG experience!

rhandino

Banned
I just listened to the New Los Angeles theme for the first time by accident... who let Prince into this game? :lol
It's THAT good eh...

a97EklX.gif

Jiraiza

At chapter 5, having a blast so far. Though I'm still reeling in with all the information overload ranging from the shops to the squad stuff. Glad I could get a full helmet within the first few hours of the game, now everyone has helmets! Rin, in particular, is my special sidekick wearing the same armor as me.

My biggest complain has to be the game font size. What were they thinking making it so tiny?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
At chapter 5, having a blast so far. Though I'm still reeling in with all the information overload ranging from the shops to the squad stuff. Glad I could get a full helmet within the first few hours of the game, now everyone has helmets! Rin, in particular, is my special sidekick wearing the same armor as me.

My biggest complain has to be the game font size. What were they thinking making it so tiny?

Dont know much katakana etc. but maybe they had to make it smaller to fit more information?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay, got my flight module! It sure is a lot of fun to fly around in these awesome looking mechs. I can't help but feel that this should have come much earlier in the game, though. At 40 hours in, I'm kind of ready for it to be over.

Schlomo

The lack of VA has made at least two fairly important cutscenes feel awkward and less impactful so far for me (because other characters have to 'talk' for you, or by breaking flow with dialogue selection boxes) and I don't imagine that will become less common as the story ramps up more.

That's my main issue with the game so far. The silent protagonist is really handled in the worst possible way. Some groans and noises a la Link at least would have gone a long way in making it feel less awkward. Dialogue selection is SO jarring because the game just freezes, even the music stops right in the middle of some dramatic scene.

And then in battle on the other hand, my character won't shut up, not to mention dashing and jumping! I've really come to dislike his voice by now, wish I'd chosen a different one, but they don't exactly give you much examples to go on during character creation.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That's my main issue with the game so far. The silent protagonist is really handled in the worst possible way. Some groans and noises a la Link at least would have gone a long way in making it feel less awkward. Dialogue selection is SO jarring because the game just freezes, even the music stops right in the middle of some dramatic scene.

And then in battle on the other hand, my character won't shut up, not to mention dashing and jumping! I've really come to dislike his voice by now, wish I'd chosen a different one, but they don't exactly give you much examples to go on during character creation.
Do the keycard simple quest to get access to the character modification feature and change it. I did it too, hated my character's voice.

The final(?) boss sure has a really, really sh*tty ability, for sure...
How can something like
having an aura that deplete ALL your fuel
be possible :x And of course if you try to just die and repeat the combat, you
don't get any fuel back

So I'm throwing the towel for now, I'll just keep grinding levels and kizuna for the moment.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The final(?) boss sure has a really, really sh*tty ability, for sure...
How can something like
having an aura that deplete ALL your fuel
be possible :x And of course if you try to just die and repeat the combat, you
don't get any fuel back

So I'm throwing the towel for now, I'll just keep grinding levels and kizuna for the moment.
I don't see the problem, that fight
should be fought on foot

That fight shouldn't be too hard with some good OCG combo. I saw someone said he just got off doll before it release the aura then went back into doll.

I tried that, and it worked for a bit, but because of the frustration I couldn't see well when it fired.
I prefer waiting for my levels to go to max so I can start getting better gear and customize it. So far I haven't spent a second into that stuff because I wanted to wait for the level cap.

Well, finally beat these two 'super' bosses. Biggest bunch of nonsense ever.

I was just going to wait until I finished all the quests to fight the Telethia, but one of the Normals gave options to either kill it, or talk to some guy. Never one to back down from a fight(unless it's birds fuck those), I decided to pimp all of my things until I was powerful enough to murder it. It was one of the Segment Topic Overeds in the forest anyway.

The "strongest" level 60 Doll can't change its weapons, and its only good damage-dealing attacks are Ether(which I'm pretty sure the Telethia reflects), so I had to make some of the other level 60 frames to fight it with regular weapons. Except it spit out ten different status effects at me constantly, so I also had to make a bunch of devices to prevent those. Then it started using some crazy spike aura at ~70% health, and inflicting several more status effects.

So after a few days of pointless previous preparations, I made two Arts.GP XX, four KillerDmg.Ultimate XX, and two Critical.Ultimate XX, and shoved them onto my Hyper-Railgun/Flapped up Lailah.QUEEN. 400 GP per art used, +160% damage, and +40 crit(whatever that means). And then I Wir Fliegen'd for several minutes straight, including through its apparently invincible/thousandsofevasionmorethanIcanhandle aura phase.

And then it didn't count for my Segment because it was 'part of a quest' and I had to do it again :mad:

The second one was a jerk that kept spamming Gravity attacks and regenerating its health before I could kill it, so I made some PosDmg.HIGH XX devices for another +100% damage and laser'd him to death too.

Also I guess I beat the game like five days ago. When I finish all the quests/segments I'll post some 'final' thoughts.

Bebpo

Banned
Starting to get kind of burnt out. Around 70-75 hours in now, with story through ch.10 and all the kizuna quests through ch.10 and all the normal quests to that point done along with several hundred simple quests (didn't really go out of my way to do most of the simple quests, just would have them in the quest list and kill enemies with "!" over their heads while I was on other missions and for collectibles I'd usually pick them up while doing other stuff) and pretty good completion % on all continents.

At this point now that I've explored out almost all the 5 five continents 80% of the questing is pretty boring. Go here and fight 5 of these things, go here and collect this item, go here and collect a few collection items, go to the ticket counter and collect some drop items. While I love the mechs and this game should really be called "Sandbox game where you have fun with mechs", once you get the mechs, especially the flying ones, there is no semblance of level//dungeon design in the game anymore. At least on foot had some of that for certain parts.

The DLC characters is kind of funny because it's totally pointless and just adds more bloat to the game because not only are the quests more generic quests, but it adds even more characters that you have to grind kizuna affection levels with to do their quests. It's basically asking you to pay an additional $20 for more chores. I think if the game dropped the affection level requirements completely for missions it'd make the game much better.

There are 4 times when Xenoblade X is fun (and when it's fun it can be really fun!):

1) Exploring new places.

2) Fighting challenging enemies above your level (or if L sized, around your level).

3) Watching cutscenes that have story/character development.

4) Spending an hour in the equipment/artes/skill/doll screen customizing your character.

Everything else is bit conventional and the more hours you spend in the game the more the stuff between those 4 things becomes almost a chore/job to get to those 4 things.

By making the world so much smaller than Xenoblade 1 and packing it with even more quests, it definitely has that Assassin Creed Unity Ubisoft open-world map with a million markers feel where it's exciting at first and then every dozen hours gets less and less exciting until getting 100% feels like a total grind and chore.

Might just finish up the story and then the last dozen character quests in the next few days and shelve it. Not sure how interested I'm going to be in the post-game in this one. Though that's probably where most of the fun challenging combat is. The story so far has only had 1 challenging fight in ch.9 and that was the best part of the story combat. Game still has a very, very basic undeveloped plot and characters at this point (they could have had about 1/2 the cast with twice the development instead of so many characters who all look like they were randomly made in the character generator). Hoping that the final 2 chapters, last 2-3 hours of the game does something interesting with the plot. So far Xenoblade X's plot makes Xenoblade 1's plot look like Xenogears in depth and complexity. If Xenoblade was fantasy/shounen for teens, Xenoblade X is summer sci-fi for 13 year olds.

I really hope this team scales back on the gameplay and focuses more on the story for their next one. But if the game doesn't sell well in the west, Nintendo's probably not going to fund anymore of these big budget 5 year development games, so it'll probably be a smaller handheld project and something completely different anyhow. Would like a Soma Bringer 2.

Vena

There are 4 times when Xenoblade X is fun (and when it's fun it can be really fun!):

1) Exploring new places.

2) Fighting challenging enemies above your level (or if L sized, around your level).

3) Watching cutscenes that have story/character development.

4) Spending an hour in the equipment/artes/skill/doll screen customizing your character.

So what you're saying is... most of the game! :p (I jest.)

I really hope this team scales back on the gameplay and focuses more on the story for their next one. But if the game doesn't sell well in the west, Nintendo's probably not going to fund anymore of these big budget 5 year development games, so it'll probably be a smaller handheld project and something completely different anyhow. Would like a Soma Bringer 2.

The game will sell well relative to the WiiU, and if it does as we suspect in getting slotted as a holiday release it will do considerably better than Xenoblade did in Europe/States. Matched with "meeting expectations" in Japan, I don't think this title will be a failure for Nintendo by any stretch. If it gets good to glowing critical reception, it can continue on as a "gem" series for the library like Prime... or it could Other M the series into permanent hibernation. >.>

Its also a niche/brand that Nintendo has lacked for a long time, so we'll see more of the series, though likely scaled back a bit. You have to consider that for this one, they had to build an HD engine, effectively from scratch. From here on out, they have tools already made and will have them going forward. Obviously Xeno isn't going to be some mega-tier IP for them like FF is for Square, but it provides their library a fill for the RPG/jRPG category that they generally have had no fill for in the past from their own studios.

-----

Random aside for those who listen to 8-4, they've had some segments on the game (high praise, 60+ hours) but most of their staff won't be playing till the English version is released, it seems.

TheMoon

Random aside for those who listen to 8-4, they've had some segments on the game (high praise, 60+ hours) but most of their staff won't be playing till the English version is released, it seems.

It's crazy how JJ is 60 hours in and still hasn't gotten the Doll license. :D

Bebpo

Banned

I know you're half-joking, but the game's problems in nutshell are that if you play 70-90 hours until post-game and you're doing most of the sidequests (a % of which is required to advance the game), about 35-45 of those hours will be spent:

1) Going to a place you've already been and running around collecting gems
or
2) Going to a place you've already explored and fighting enemies who die in 20 seconds and present no challenge.

That's just busywork and is boring. At first the quests are cool because the world is unknown and each quest is taking you someplace new to explore. But by a certain point you've seen most of the world and then quests become going to places you've already explored and doing busywork.

Additionally, the Doll part of the game feels unfinished. When you're a human there's always that leveling up incentive of getting higher levels, better stats, better equipment, better drops. There's hundreds of pieces of equipment for humans.

When you get the lvl.30 Dolls, there's like 3 heads with slightly different stats (and no visual difference). Same goes for each body part. And there's a dozen weapon types and that's about it. This is no armored core, you don't have a plethora of parts to constantly be building and upgrading your mech. Your mech basically stays about the same until you get the lvl.50 Doll and then lvl.60 doll. Since mechs don't level and they don't learn any new skills/arts, once the lvl.30 dolls are introduced the combat and character progression kind of falls flat.

While the first time you take that lvl,30 Wels Doll out and kill an enemy in 1 hit with its big huge 22k damage BB Sword it's really cool and satisfying to see the power difference between your lvl.30 humans...20 hours and 500 battles later when you're fighting lvl.45 enemies and you're still just doing 1-3 BB Sword slices and killing all the enemies....it's boring.

Basically going by those 4 things I listed in my previous post. The game is at its best when it's mixing 1) Exploration rewarding experience with 2) Fighting higher level challenging enemies while 3) Watching cutscenes that progress the story or develop the characters and 4) While you're messing around with equipment/skills/artes character progression as you level.

The game needed to keep the leveling and upgrading progression exciting from lvl.30-50 because that's exactly the portion of the game where players will start to have explored the whole world map and the exploration rewarding experience fades out. So you lose #1 fun factor, So ideally you want lvl.30-50 to be getting that same lvl.1-30 character progression of constantly learning new skills/artes, getting better equipment, getting strong stats fun factor to transfer over to the Dolls. There should be hundreds of doll parts and for the next 30-40 hours while going from lvl.30-50, you should get getting rare Doll drops and buying new Doll parts and constantly customizing and upgrading your doll. There should be skills and either artes or a good influx of new and better weapons with new and better artes.

But there isn't. After a while you notice that there is very, very little customization you can do with Dolls besides swapping visually the same parts as soon as you can for ones with better stats that are available right away from the store when you get your mech and swapping weapons where you rarely get anything stronger. Basically the Dolls stay constant and by the time you're at this lvl.30-50 point your characters have maxed their first job line and though you might find a few cool skills in other job lines, you've basically reached the peak of your human character progression too.

So in a lot of ways it feels like the game stops character/doll progression in the lvl.30-40 range about 50-75% through the game. At this point you've lost the fun factor of exploring, the fun factor of character progression and customization, and all that's left is the story and character development. And while that does move a lot more in the 2nd half than the first half, there's still not a ton of it and it's interspersed between hours of same old, same old.

It feels like they ran out of time and that the Doll customization should've been closer to the human customization and closer to an MMO or Armored Core with tons and tons of parts to mix and match and make your custom mech. That would've helped a lot for the fun factor of the second half of the game and kept it engaging while going between story points.

I keep saying lvl.30-50 because since I haven't finished the game I don't know if this changes post-game. I know there's a lot of big strong enemies to fight in your dolls, so maybe there's a lot more customization and pieces to choose from in the post-game. But for lvl.30-50 there really isn't.

Also I do want to stress that this isn't 100% of the time where it's a problem. Even in the 2nd half of the game there are still times when quests take you to new areas and it's exciting to explore or you fight challenging enemies and it's fun or once and a while you get a good piece of equipment or weapon. There just needs to be more of that stuff after lvl.30.

alvis.exe

The game will sell well relative to the WiiU, and if it does as we suspect in getting slotted as a holiday release it will do considerably better than Xenoblade did in Europe/States. Matched with "meeting expectations" in Japan, I don't think this title will be a failure for Nintendo by any stretch. If it gets good to glowing critical reception, it can continue on as a "gem" series for the library like Prime... or it could Other M the series into permanent hibernation. >.>

Where was this mentioned? I'm curious!

Vena

So in a lot of ways it feels like the game stops character/doll progression in the lvl.30-40 range about 50-75% through the game. At this point you've lost the fun factor of exploring, the fun factor of character progression and customization, and all that's left is the story and character development. And while that does move a lot more in the 2nd half than the first half, there's still not a ton of it and it's interspersed between hours of same old, same old.

See, I've heard it in a different tune in that progression tapers but customization takes the forefront. So rather than grinding/leveling for next skill, the game goes horizontal rather than vertical in the treadmills.

Also, unless I've played some odd-ass RPGs, almost all will lose meaningful progression around halfway to late game because you've effectively unlocked an learned everything novel (aside from incrementally identical spells with a new suffix at the end), and the only thing left to chase are larger numbers on your gear. It takes all of half-way into DeSu1/2 to learn Holy Dance and Drain, and the game is practically over. :p

Xenoblade is also over in terms of progression fairly quickly aside from Melia taking forever to get to her useful skills. Unless you mean grinding out their skill trees is meaningful progression, lol. The rest of the game is just buying incrementally more powerful gear.

It feels like they ran out of time and that the Doll customization should've been closer to the human customization and closer to an MMO or Armored Core with tons and tons of parts to mix and match and make your custom mech. That would've helped a lot for the fun factor of the second half of the game and kept it engaging while going between story points.

At some point, I think it becomes a question of "Why isn't all of Armored Core in here?", lol. (And so obviously you'd run out of time to build a game you're not building.)

Where was this mentioned? I'm curious!

It wasn't, its just making a call based on shipped/sold figures and comparisons to Xeno1.

Bebpo

Banned
See, I've heard it in a different tune in that progression tapers but customization takes the forefront. So rather than grinding/leveling for next skill, the game goes horizontal rather than vertical in the treadmills.

Also, unless I've played some odd-ass RPGs, almost all will lose meaningful progression around halfway to late game because you've effectively unlocked an learned everything novel (aside from incrementally identical spells with a new suffix at the end), and the only thing left to chase are larger numbers on your gear. It takes all of half-way into DeSu1/2 to learn Holy Dance and Drain, and the game is practically over. :p

Xenoblade is also over in terms of progression fairly quickly aside from Melia taking forever to get to her useful skills. Unless you mean grinding out their skill trees is meaningful progression, lol. The rest of the game is just buying incrementally more powerful gear.

At some point, I think it becomes a question of "Why isn't all of Armored Core in here?", lol. (And so obviously you'd run out of time to build a game you're not building.)

Most rpgs also aren't open world and even if progression tapers off, you have new areas and new challenges to look forward to in addition to the storyline. Demon/Dark souls is completely different and less about progression and more about learning enemy patterns, level layout anyhow.

As for AC? They don't have to make an entirely different game to just have more parts than they currently have. Humans have a ridiculous amount of customization whereas Dolls have very little.

I think Dolls really should have had level and leveled up. Mechs in Xenogears and Xenosaga had levels iirc. I think they were trying to be more "realistic" like Dolls are just another piece of equipment like equipping a sword. You can customize a lvl.30 sword with gems and change the stats, but when you get a lvl.50 sword you're gonna toss that lvl.30 one and use an entirely new lvl.50 sword and customize that.

The difference being that equipment like swords have their own stats but they also rely on the character stats as well. So even with a lvl.30 sword, every time your character levels up, you're gonna feel stronger and feel like you're making progress towards taking on higher level enemies. Unless I've been mistaken this whole time, none of your character stats/skills affect your Doll. You can stick a lvl.30 character with lvl.1 stats in a doll and a lvl.49 character packed with high stats and skills and the Doll will function the same. This means if you're mainly going to be doll battling (which you will be) your levels essentially freeze between lvl.30-49. For instance, when I first got my lvl.30 Doll at character level 30 I could take on up to lvl.49 enemies with the right customization right off the bat. 30 hours later at character level 44, I can still only take on the same enemies up to lvl 49 with the same customization. Nothing's changed in 30 hours. I haven't felt like I've gotten any stronger and that is a serious progression problem imo. I can't think of another rpg out there where you don't feel like you're character is getting stronger over 30 hours when you haven't hit the level cap yet.

I think they could have fixed this issue several ways:

1) Have parts/weapons that are level restricted between 30 & 50. Just like human characters, have lvl.35/40/45 weapons/parts that you can buy and enemy drop parts at 37/42/48. This way, just like human's your constantly getting new and better equipment and your Doll is growing stronger as your character levels.

2) Have the Dolls level. Have them level up and increase stats.

3) Have the Dolls stats be a combination of the Doll stats + Character stats. This way when your character grows, the Doll grows stronger with your character.

Bebpo

Banned
Reading the Dragon Age Origins v. Inquistion thread on the front page, I think XBX will be fairly similar in a Xenoblade (DA:O) v. Xenoblade X (Inquisition). Just like Inquisition, XBX while good, goes to an open world MMO-design and becomes bloated and more bland compared to Xenoblade. But like how Inquisition won all the game of the year awards, I wouldn't be surprised if XBX won most of them too and then a year later people start talking about how it wasn't as good as the original.

XBX is a really beautiful game world. I haven't really talked about it but the weather and environment effects are incredible and second to none at making the places feel cinematic and gorgeous. From snowstorms to heatwaves to lightning and rain, to butterflies and fireflies swirling around. It's a great, great looking world (even if the characters look pretty generic).

Right now the game still feels like about an 8/10 game at 70+ hours in. Unless something drastically changes in the last 2-3 hours of story that's left, I don't really see that changing. It's a good game, but it's not a great game imo and that makes it disappointing coming from the team's pedigree, especially since Xenoblade was truly a great game. It's no Xenosaga ep2 disaster, as Xenoblade X isn't a bad game by any means, but a lot of the time it's just kind of average one while only some of the time it's truly a great game and that's disappointing.

I have the feeling that the first focus of Xenoblade X for Takahashi and his team was "Let's see if we can make a gigantic open world where you can transition from a character on foot to a mech boosting across the sky at anytime seamlessly" and they did it and pulled it off in spades.

I just feel like "let's make an rpg to go in that world" came second.

Chaos17

Reading the Dragon Age Origins v. Inquistion thread on the front page, I think XBX will be fairly similar in a Xenoblade (DA:O) v. Xenoblade X (Inquisition). Just like Inquisition, XBX while good, goes to an open world MMO-design and becomes bloated and more bland compared to Xenoblade. But like how Inquisition won all the game of the year awards, I wouldn't be surprised if XBX won most of them too and then a year later people start talking about how it wasn't as good as the original.

XBX is a really beautiful game world. I haven't really talked about it but the weather and environment effects are incredible and second to none at making the places feel cinematic and gorgeous. From snowstorms to heatwaves to lightning and rain, to butterflies and fireflies swirling around. It's a great, great looking world (even if the characters look pretty generic).

Right now the game still feels like about an 8/10 game at 70+ hours in. Unless something drastically changes in the last 2-3 hours of story that's left, I don't really see that changing. It's a good game, but it's not a great game imo and that makes it disappointing coming from the team's pedigree, especially since Xenoblade was truly a great game. It's no Xenosaga ep2 disaster, as Xenoblade X isn't a bad game by any means, but a lot of the time it's just kind of average one while only some of the time it's truly a great game and that's disappointing.

I have the feeling that the first focus of Xenoblade X for Takahashi and his team was "Let's see if we can make a gigantic open world where you can transition from a character on foot to a mech boosting across the sky at anytime seamlessly" and they did it and pulled it off in spades.

Unless XCX stripped/removed/dumbed down a lot things from its origin (beside default Mc), I don't think it wil be the same. Inquisition dumbed down a lot of thing that made fans fall for the first game. Here's a short list :
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/5216...es-shall-we-general-feedback-and-suggestions/

I think Dolls really should have had level and leveled up. Mechs in Xenogears and Xenosaga had levels iirc. I think they were trying to be more "realistic" like Dolls are just another piece of equipment like equipping a sword. You can customize a lvl.30 sword with gems and change the stats, but when you get a lvl.50 sword you're gonna toss that lvl.30 one and use an entirely new lvl.50 sword and customize that.

In Xenogears you had to upgrade your Gear with new parts, but there were a ton of new parts. The better attacks were locked behind your "on foot" progression of skills though so both still mattered and you felt like you were making progress. Also some things the Gear could amplify, and could be amplified further with various equipment, like ether attacks. There was a lot of limiting what you could use for combat depending on the area you were in as well, as the game forced a lot of "on foot" combat so you wouldn't just only ever use the Gear.

Since it seems that Doll and on foot are completely separate with no overlap of how you get skills/stats I can see how Doll combat would feel less meaningful, especially since they are still all equipment progression. The thing I'm most disappointing by is how it seems that heavy Dolls = better and higher level, making the lighter/cooler looking ones, kinda redundant.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

XBX is a much better than open world rpg than Inquisition though. A bit lighter on the story side, but the areas are designed so much better that it's not even funny.

Sakura

I've played for a couple hours and while I'm enjoying it (I think) the camera controls and stuff feel real clunky. I tried playing around with the settings but it doesn't seem to help too much.
The silent protagonist is... well, I'm not against silent protagonists, but I feel a little confused. There are times where the characters talk to him, then the camera just goes on his face for a bit, he is literally not moving or anything, then the characters go on as though the protag actually just said something. Is he really "talking" in those scenes or what? It's pretty weird.

Vena

Most rpgs also aren't open world and even if progression tapers off, you have new areas and new challenges to look forward to in addition to the storyline. Demon/Dark souls is completely different and less about progression and more about learning enemy patterns, level layout anyhow.

Why'd you bring up Demon/Dark Souls? I was talking about Devil Survivor, lol, an actual (s-j)RPG.

That said, open or closed RPGs all have this problem. And "look at the new location" can only take you so far unless you really go for jaw-dropping awe ala Xenoblade 1. Even MMOs have this problem, at some point all you have is tiered gear and higher level enemies, you've learned most of the skills and gone through most of the meaningful progression long before you hit "end game". The question then becomes does the game go the WoW-grind route, or does it go the GW2-horizontal expansion.

It's just fun to discuss this. I enjoy reading your analysis, comparing it to what I know from the other side of the isle, and talking with friend about it. I think a lot of this ties into expectations (aside from the obvious opinions/tastes issue). My friend's a huge fan of this and weighs it against the original highly since she wasn't THAT in love with the original even if she really likes the story (in both but Xeno1 above XenoX). You're much more critical of it, and its fun to compare and discuss this. :p For example, she much prefers the expanded and wide cast in this game and their characterization (even if some of the cast is really bad), the way the expanded universe in-game comes together, and the much more widely customizable game/combat/team elements. To put it simply: the system is better to the gameplay even if the story is not quite as epic and losses some of its flow/pacing.

As for AC? They don't have to make an entirely different game to just have more parts than they currently have. Humans have a ridiculous amount of customization whereas Dolls have very little.

I was joking, lol. I meant to be tongue in cheek that you were asking them to just make an AC game inside of XenoX. :p

That said, I don't actually disagree with giving the Dolls progression. But I think this ties us back to a point we made a long way back: HD development time scales, lol.

So XCX is going to win all the GotY awards? :p

Top Bottom