• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

Like none of you ever got stuck in Super Metroid the first time you played it. Only difference is we couldn't share our troubles in the SNES days.

Put me down as someone who finds it charming in an odd way.

I think most of us find it charming, that makes it funnier to me. More of an innocent humor as opposed to snarky humor. Of course some of them are legitimately hilarious, not figuring out what to do immediately after the game explains the morph ball.

Like none of you ever got stuck in Super Metroid the first time you played it. Only difference is we couldn't share our troubles in the SNES days.

Put me down as someone who finds it charming in an odd way.

This is too early to get a stuck.. If someone cannot use morph ball this early with instructions. .. they are dumb!!

Man, i feel antsy watching this...like i just want to grab the controller from him.
I refuse to believe hes that bad. Its got to be an act.

this guy....i remember watching him play skyward sword and it made me want to kill myself. i just decided to laugh at him at some point but his constant complaints about the game design when the solution was so obvious killed me.

I'm pretty sure it's his schtick, i refuse to believe anyone can be that oblivious for so long. who would spend so much time on something they hate?

Hes playing MGS HD collection...

So obviously hes played MGS4 at some point right?....

....yet it took him several hours to realize how to use rations...

If he was a casual uploader I could believe it was his schtick...

But because he does this FOR A LIVING and must play ALOT of games, I cant imagine anyone purposefully wasting time dying and getting lost in the DUMBEST places to get lost (a hallway)just to have a couple more hit/views

Hes that friend that said the game was broken because you beat him.

It wasnt your skill that beat him, and it wasnt his lack of skill that caused him to lose...

...it was the game that was broken

smh

EDIT: I want to give him props for finishing the games he starts, but hes bad at EVERY GAME, so the result would be the same whther he finishes it or not and I think he realizes that.

I honestly am not in much surprise, really.

ijX3EzSIF4ARe.gif

This is incredible!

Eusis

If teenagers in 2013 can't do what 8 year olds in 1993 could do, then evolution obviously isn't doing it's job.
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teenagers in 1993 went "this game is dumb", put it down, then watched TV instead or something. Meanwhile we may well have a bunch of kids getting into this without too much of a problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teenagers in 1993 went "this game is dumb", put it down, then watched TV instead or something.

I still remember Jeff Gerstmann's anecdote about buying Super Metroid on release, rushing through the whole thing in two or three hours, and returning it while thinking it was mediocre and a disappointing followup to the first game.

That's Jeff Gerstmann and his tastes are notoriously bonkers, but it is what it is.

Why does so many people find it sad ? Super Metroid is an awesome game and it can be a bit hard if you never played another Metroid.

These pics, as funny as they are, show that the game still attract new gamers to the franchise. It's a great thing IMO.

But seriously these people should learn to play a game by themselves. Miiverse is the new Nintendo hotline.

After playing Super Ghouls'n Ghosts for a couple of minutes (very stupid impulse purchase from my part) I did have and urge to make a "Why doesn't my health regenerate? Halp!" post in Miiverse...

I sympathize with their troubles. I faced some of the same problems when I first played the game back in about 2003, only there was no Internet to cry to then. But I also used state saves and barely remember any of it, so I might be right back with them.

rockx4

Holy shit, I just started playing SM again, haven't played it in years. You see those areas in the OP within the first 10 minutes... I just breezed through them lol.

Eusis

I still remember Jeff Gerstmann's anecdote about buying Super Metroid on release, rushing through the whole thing in two or three hours, and returning it while thinking it was mediocre and a disappointing followup to the first game.

That's Jeff Gerstmann and his tastes are notoriously bonkers, but it is what it is.
That's probably a strong indication to me that I should probably take a good chunk of what he says with a grain of salt.

And perhaps an indicator of how these things can go in cycles, I'm sure some people felt similarly about Metroid Prime and Super Metroid, and a variation of it with Metroid: Other M where EVERYONE felt that way about it and Metroid Prime/Super Metroid/Probably Metroid 1.

Maedhros

Someone said earlier here that the Maridia glass tube was bullshit... I never used a guide to break the glass in Maridia tube. Does that make me a genius?

I mean, can't players really try to figure things for themselves? If it was something like La Mulana, which has really hard puzzles, I would understand.

Miiverse is really handy for players like that. I could see something like that working with games like Castlevania: Simon's Quest, which had some really shitty puzzles and bullshit.

Sorral

Now I wonder what kind of user reviews there would be on the PSOne Classics section on PSN.

No, wait....I don't want to know. -_-

Someone said earlier here that the Maridia glass tube was bullshit... I never used a guide to break the glass in Maridia tube. Does that make me a genius?

I like the way the game deals with the tube. First, you don't need to break it to access Maridia. You can enter from the right of the Wrecked Ship. Second, the game gives you a clue. A few rooms to the right of the intact tube, there's a clearly broken tube. It's the only broken tube in the game. This gives a clue that maybe the intact tube can be broken.

KevinCow

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teenagers in 1993 went "this game is dumb", put it down, then watched TV instead or something. Meanwhile we may well have a bunch of kids getting into this without too much of a problem.

I didn't play Super Metroid for a while because a friend told me it wasn't very good when he saw me looking at the box at a Blockbuster.

The same friend also excitedly invited me over to play Superman 64 and Castlevania 64 with him.

I'm not friends with him anymore.

Eusis

Now I wonder what kind of user reviews there would be on the PSOne Classics section on PSN.

No, wait....I don't want to know. -_-
"Why can't I use right stick to aim and left stick to move in Syphon Filter!?"

Actually, yeah, these games let you use analog so why the fuck not? Goldeneye predated your game you fucks.
I didn't play Super Metroid for a while because a friend told me it wasn't very good when he saw me looking at the box at a Blockbuster.

The same friend also excitedly invited me over to play Superman 64 and Castlevania 64 with him.

I'm not friends with him anymore.
Haha, it highlights how much of an echochamber the internet can be. And how terrifying the mainstream CAN be.

Mzo

That's only the case for non essential upgrades though.
Yep, and you have the X-ray visor for that anyway.

Honestly, though, after growing up with NES games the SNES seemed way easier and friendlier in general. That just seems to compound every new generation. Trial by fire and all that.

I'm way better at games now than when I was a kid. I've gone back and beaten SO MANY NES games that seemed impossible back then.

Jobbs

Banned

I mean, can't players really try to figure things for themselves? If it was something like La Mulana, which has really hard puzzles, I would understand.

Miiverse is really handy for players like that. I could see something like that working with games like Castlevania: Simon's Quest, which had some really shitty puzzles and bullshit.

I broke the tube on a hunch, as I suspect many people did back then. The design philosophy of Super Metroid is a lost art, well, MOSTLY lost. Dark Souls, while quite different than Metroid in many ways, does practice some of that old design philosophy.

As a gamer of the moment, playing Super Metroid, I was accustomed to experimenting and trying things and following hunches. The game taught me to be that way. That's why it's a well designed game and remembered so fondly.

The fact that you CAN go the wrong way, or go one of several ways, or actually FAIL at something -- Those things make a game exciting. That's the truest form of adventure you can have in a game (IMO). And this used to be the way game design was approached in general. The mystery of the game, the lore of the game, existed outside of the fiction as well as inside of it. You don't see that much anymore.

In 2013 I still love games, and I also love modern cutting edge graphics and great art -- But I have so little patience for super hand holdy, linear, overly structured experiences and it's getting harder and harder to find new games I like. So I'm trying to make my own. We'll see how that pans out.

Sorral

"Why can't I use right stick to aim and left stick to move in Syphon Filter!?"

Actually, yeah, these games let you use analog so why the fuck not? Goldeneye predated your game you fucks.

Haha, it highlights how much of an echochamber the internet can be. And how terrifying the mainstream CAN be.

Back then, I didn't even think of it and just played the game. Probably because not many games did what Goldeneye was doing. Even RE4 didn't do it and didn't let me adjust it in the HD remake sadly. :/

But you know what's really weird? This:
Our lead designer back then was pretty heavily influenced by Nintendo’s GoldenEye, which was probably the closest you could come to finding a game like Syphon in those days.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/25/behind-the-classics-syphon-filter/

Eusis

Back then, I didn't even think of it and just played the game. Probably because not many games did what Goldeneye was doing. Even RE4 didn't do it and didn't let me adjust it in the HD remake sadly. :/

But you know what's really weird? This:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/25/behind-the-classics-syphon-filter/
He must have been looking at the shooters that came the next generation and wondered why the fuck he didn't follow that example. Meanwhile From is From and makes their games play as if you had to use a PS1 digital controller, likely damning the PS2 Shadow Tower from coming here.

I need to try Syphon Filter again (got them all during a moment of free PS+), but I don't think it played as smoothly as the likes of RE4 to get away with it, but maybe I just need to give it more time.

0xCA2

Not Super Metroid but...

nuKSFjz.png

I had similar feelings when playing the 2d Super Mario games.

See, I started gaming really in the N64-PS1 era. I played a lot of Pokemon (which is not a difficult game), Tekken single player (which you can just set to easy), wrestling games (which you can just set to easy), Tony Hawk games (just turn on cheats and have fun skating around), GTA3 series, and other stuff. As a kid, it was common for me to give up playing a game on a when either because it was boring me or it had a part that was too difficult.

The thing here, is that many games N64-PS1 era forward hinged their engagement on something other than difficulty. That and they provide hard/normal/easy modes. So, in that landscape, I grew up completely avoiding difficulty and precision in games.

Playing something like the old Mario games with their "fuck you" design can be really frustrating. I'm not used to the amount of precision and thought that those games require, because that's not what the games I grew up with (necessarily) were, nor was it how I learned to play and enjoy games. It's not just about handholding, it's that game design changed.

Sorral

He must have been looking at the shooters that came the next generation and wondered why the fuck he didn't follow that example. Meanwhile From is From and makes their games play as if you had to use a PS1 digital controller, likely damning the PS2 Shadow Tower from coming here.

I need to try Syphon Filter again (got them all during a moment of free PS+), but I don't think it played as smoothly as the likes of RE4 to get away with it, but maybe I just need to give it more time.

Fair point about RE4. It always played really well regardless of how my mind couldn't get over the sticks layout and how terrible that felt to me.

I don't think they(SF games) ever played that 'smoothly' but nostalgia does wonder to cover up how bad the games aged nowadays. On this note, it seems I forgot to download all 3, so doing that now to try them out again.

The only thing in Super Metroid I EVER got stuck was the glass tube to Maridia.
I didn't know that you had to use a Power Bomb to break the tube because it wasn't obvious to me.
Everything else though: Piece of cake.
That was back when I was 8.

Top Bottom