• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo: Trump Intends to Essentially Get 100% of the Black Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildfire

Banned
Well flip the 93 vs 7% ratio.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/donald-trump-has-a-huge-1317867072716854.html

But in a strange twist, Trump, the unabashedly politically incorrect Republican frontrunner, recently made an effort to be more sensitive about one of the country’s key minority constituencies.

This shift came after Trump met with a group that included prominent African-American pastors at his eponymous skyscraper headquarters in Manhattan on Nov. 30. Three people who attended the meeting told Yahoo that Trump was told to change the way he speaks about African-Americans, a group he has regularly referred to as “the blacks.” Members of the group left Trump Tower with the impression he would choose his words more carefully going forward.

According to Cohen, (who is Trump’s lawyer and an executive vice president at the Trump Organization,) Trump needs to win black voters because other minority groups won’t support him: “The truth, yeah, I’m trying to coordinate it because I am mindful of the fact that, you know, there are coalitions and I’m talking about now like Hispanic coalitions that … will not support Trump,” Cohen explained. “And that’s OK because the ones that don’t like Trump aren’t even here legally and they can’t vote, so it doesn’t really matter, right? And I understand their point of view. They’re — they do not want to be asked to leave right? And go back where? Go back to their homes? You know they don’t want to. So I understand.”

After ruling out Latinos, Cohen said the campaign turned to the African-American community because Trump needs to go beyond his base. “You can’t win a general election if your mindset is on the Southern white Christian coalition. You need them, but you need the minority communities as well,” Cohen said.

“There are four things that are needed,” Cohen said. “First … you’ve got to bring back God into the neighborhood. No. 2, jobs. Three, tax incentives. You’ve got to create businesses in the neighborhood. And, four, education. And the education sort of mirrored, you know, with God because they say that the best education that you could ever get would be from your clergy.”

Even with a tailored pitch, Trump will be a tough sell for black voters. There is little data indicating he would perform any better with the African-American electorate than past Republican hopefuls.

Honestly I feel this last point is moot. If Trump's team is discounting hispanics because a lot of them can't vote then they won't care about religious group that only makes up 1% of this country.

Burns (a South Carolina televangelist who attended the Trump Tower meeting) said that, “without question,” having black allies appear with Trump helps counter the charges of racism. He also pointed out that large numbers of minorities work for Trump.

“It is ignorant for people, whether you’re black, whether you’re white, whether you’re Hispanic, whether you’re Asian or Indian, to believe this person is a racist,” Burns said of Trump.

Recalling his opening remarks, Scott (an Ohio pastor who helped organize the recent gathering at Trump Tower) said he touted Trump as a potential “agent of change” who is “not a perfect person.”

“Mr. Trump is politically incorrect at times, but that’s because he is not a career politician. … He’s flawed in areas just like everyone is, but … Mr. Trump has promised to defend our Christian liberties, strengthen our national morality, and restore the conservative values that make our nation great,” Scott said.

Scott, in his retelling to Yahoo News, went on to attack those who criticized the group for meeting with Trump as “agents of Satan.”

“We were encountering fierce opposition. … I know it’s from the enemy, from the devil, because all of our motives are pure,” Scott recalls saying. “We’re being called sellouts, Uncle Toms, coons, Stepin Fetchits — everything except children of God — n*****s, everything,” Scott said.

He ended on a defiant note.

Manning said he is “enamored” with Trump and wants to start an organization for the campaign in Harlem. He also objects to the notion Trump should ever apologize for his views or “change his behavior.” Manning is certainly no stranger to political incorrectness. Over the years he has made headlines for large signs in front of his church, Atlah World Missionary Church. One declared “Jesus would stone homos.” Another described Obama as “a Taliban Muslim illegally elected president.”

LOLLERSKATES

BadAss2961

w4JSdyj.gif

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Donald Trump embodies everybody's favorite Christian liberties, like blind greed and hatred for people who are different. That was in Bible 2.0 right?

bionic77

Three people who attended the meeting told Yahoo that Trump was told to change the way he speaks about African-Americans, a group he has regularly referred to as “the blacks.” Members of the group left Trump Tower with the impression he would choose his words more carefully going forward.
"The blacks".

:lol

Good fucking luck!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Scott, in his retelling to Yahoo News, went on to attack those who criticized the group for meeting with Trump as “agents of Satan.”

“We were encountering fierce opposition. … I know it’s from the enemy, from the devil, because all of our motives are pure,” Scott recalls saying. “We’re being called sellouts, Uncle Toms, coons, Stepin Fetchits — everything except children of God — n*****s, everything,” Scott said.

He ended on a defiant note.

How did he think that meeting was going to turn out for him? Or was he convinced it would mean more money for him...I mean his church?

Piggus

"The truth, yeah, I’m trying to coordinate it because I am mindful of the fact that, you know, there are coalitions and I’m talking about now like Hispanic coalitions that … will not support Trump,” Cohen explained. “And that’s OK because the ones that don’t like Trump aren’t even here legally and they can’t vote, so it doesn’t really matter, right?"

Looks like they have it all figured out!

“And that’s OK because the ones that don’t like Trump aren’t even here legally and they can’t vote, so it doesn’t really matter, right?

Yes... all the Hispanics that don't like Trump are here illegally, everyone else was super ok with Trump's comments about Mexico. That entire voting block is yours, A+ job Team Trump.

Misha

Banned
Not sure how people draw the line from Trump to Christianity.

probably because of this:

“Mr. Trump is disrespectful at times, but that’s because he is not a career politician. … He’s flawed in areas just like everyone is, but … Mr. Trump has promised to defend our Christian liberties, strengthen our national morality, and restore the conservative values that make our nation great,” Scott said.

(unless you're criticizing the pastors quoted in the OP then I agree)

wildfire

Banned
Looks like they have it all figured out!

I seriously couldn't stop laughing for a good minute at that part.

Their strategy is systematically demagoguing everyone they feel they can attack because their vote doesn't count. The cognitive dissonance and arrogance of implying the Hispanics who can vote won't care about how others are being treated yet the Trump team are still willing to write them all off as useless votes regardless of what happens.

wildfire

Banned
Wonder if he knows that a sizable amount of the black community is also Muslim.

I guess he figures that we are all Christian.

Most estimates say Muslims make up 1% of the US population, 2% max. They aren't a sizable group which is why I find the hate and fear against them all the more annoying.

Makai

It's a brilliant strategy. While Democrats are laughing in their ivory towers, Trump will be winning the hearts and minds of the American people. This man came to win.

gjwPYh5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom