• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Hobbun

Beat the game a few minutes ago, and gotta say, if this ain't on my GotY shortlist by the end of the year, that will mean that this year is gonna be absolutely insane in terms of game releases. Won't recount all my thoughts, but I will say that releasing Kiwami so soon after Zero seems like a mistake to me. I consciously didn't spend as much time on this game as others have (I beat it in a little more than 30 hours) because I don't want to burn myself out before Kiwami comes out, seeing as it looks like it plays very simliarly to this game. But I can imagine a lot of people who bought will have had there fill and then some by summer time, and skip or put off Kiwami.

Well, Kiwami will be out by the time I finish Y0, but I won't go directly into Kiwami as there are several other games I want to play first.

My point is people can take their rest from Yakuza on their own (have a little self discipline), which I plan on doing. Or, they can go right into Kiwami if they want.

hbkdx12

Beat the game a few minutes ago, and gotta say, if this ain't on my GotY shortlist by the end of the year, that will mean that this year is gonna be absolutely insane in terms of game releases. Won't recount all my thoughts, but I will say that releasing Kiwami so soon after Zero seems like a mistake to me. I consciously didn't spend as much time on this game as others have (I beat it in a little more than 30 hours) because I don't want to burn myself out before Kiwami comes out, seeing as it looks like it plays very simliarly to this game. But I can imagine a lot of people who bought will have had their fill and then some by summer time, and skip or put off Kiwami.

I disagree. This was my first foray into yakuza and i loved all of the 90 hrs it took me to finish it not to mention all the time i've spent post game.

When i finished the game i just wanted more Yakuza and i was ready to spoil myself on the rest of the series until someone told me Kiwami will be out this summer. So im pretty pumped and by time Yakuza begins to fade from my minds eye Kiwami will be upon us and i'll graciously dive into the world of Yakuza all over again.

Beat the game a few minutes ago, and gotta say, if this ain't on my GotY shortlist by the end of the year, that will mean that this year is gonna be absolutely insane in terms of game releases. Won't recount all my thoughts, but I will say that releasing Kiwami so soon after Zero seems like a mistake to me. I consciously didn't spend as much time on this game as others have (I beat it in a little more than 30 hours) because I don't want to burn myself out before Kiwami comes out, seeing as it looks like it plays very simliarly to this game. But I can imagine a lot of people who bought will have had their fill and then some by summer time, and skip or put off Kiwami.

There isn't much choice if there is any hope of getting international audiences caught up so that the localized versions aren't as late as they have been historically.

Putting off Kiwami just acts to put off Yakuza 6 even further.

It's his form of penance. Majima wants to be there because he definitely believes Saejima will return...which, according to Yakuza 4, is an accurate prediction.

Yeah but that just feels like very weak retroactive writing. Soejima's return 20+ years later isn't exactly something that is reasonable for Majimia to expect or predict. I found the flashback at the beginning of Chapter 4 made me less interested in Majima's story which is probably not the effect that they were going for.

There is also the freedom that comes with being a clan member. Don't forget that there are spies watching him 24/7 so he can't skip town, which would be pretty important in fulfilling Majima's desire to protect Saejima's sister.

This, however, is a bit more compelling and makes more sense.

apparently someone ordered a reprint of yakuza 1-4, so you can get new copies on amazon right now for relatively cheap. yakuza 2 for $50 is pretty much unheard of, so i really recommend jumping on that if you have even remote interest.

edit: ah, sorry, didn't see the ebay listing was posted last page. but to avoid confusion, it's still up now on both amazon and ebay

There isn't much choice if there is any hope of getting international audiences caught up so that the localized versions aren't as late as they have been historically.

Putting off Kiwami just acts to put off Yakuza 6 even further.

Yeah but that just feels like very weak retroactive writing. Soejima's return 20+ years later isn't exactly something that is reasonable for Majimia to expect or predict. I found the flashback at the beginning of Chapter 4 made me less interested in Majima's story which is probably not the effect that they were going for.

This, however, is a bit more compelling and makes more sense.
I imagine it's mainly guilt. I may be reading into it but the fact is that he got sentenced to death row. He just has a belief that's gotten hammered into him that his brother is coming back and that he must give him his due when he does. This belief is the only thing that kept him going when he was getting tortured and prevented him for straight up quitting or running away from his life.

Menitta

apparently someone ordered a reprint of yakuza 1-4, so you can get new copies on amazon right now for relatively cheap. yakuza 2 for $50 is pretty much unheard of, so i really recommend jumping on that if you have even remote interest.

MMMMMMM THATS TEMPTING.

I might cancel my Horizon preorder now...

t26

Extremely unfriendly if you don't speak Japanese, but there are excellent guides for each at KHHSubs.com..

I'm learning Japanese at the moment, and I think I'm going to jump into Ishin before too long with the KHHSubs guide as a back up. Kenzan would be much harder for me, though, because of the irritating inability to pause cutscenes in the earlier Yakuza games. Yakuzas 5 and onwards are a dream for Japanese learners, because you can pause every line of dialogue in the game if you need extra time to work them out, but the earlier ones you just have to be good enough to catch it all on the fly :p

I beat Ishin using khhsubs guide. It is enough for me to get a summary of whats going on.

Hobbun

Eh, hate situations like this.

Really was just hoping to be able to get remade/remastered copies for the PS4 for all of them.

But now I have to think about purchasing these (or at least Y2) in the event it doesn't happen.

Edit: Went ahead and purchased Y2-Y4.

My resolve is awful.

LAM09

Just completed the story. It's definitely up there with the best, but Y4 still holds a place next to it for me.

I guess the fact it was my first taste of the series could be part of the reason.

Menitta

Outrun has better set dressing for sure.

Their soundtracks are both super great.

Undecided on which is best mechanically/stage design yet.

That's pretty much where I'm at. Outrun is much calmer. The nice soundtrack and the fact that it's not so much a race but just driving is really appealing to me. Super Hang On feels better to play though.

What DLC is missing?

"All new copies of Yakuza 4 in the US will come with download codes for the following extra content:
Bonus costumes for Kazuma, Akiyama, Taiga, Tanimura, and Haruka
Survival Mode
Underground car park racing
The much-loved underground Fighting Arena"

There's another piece of free dlc for Yakuza 4 that you can still get on the store but you can't get the above dlc pack.

Conezays

Eh, hate situations like this.

Really was just hoping to be able to get remade/remastered copies for the PS4 for all of them.

But now I have to think about purchasing these (or at least Y2) in the event it doesn’t happen.

Edit: Went ahead and purchased Y2-Y4.

My resolve is awful.

Lol, you did the right thing. Hope you enjoy 2-4.

I want to know the physics behind the instant costume removal.
It's a Yakuza thing. This might actually be the first time where the coat was just hanging on their shoulders so it actually made sense.

All other times they get shirtless from one motion when they were wearing 4 layers of clothing.

Floody

Won't recount all my thoughts, but I will say that releasing Kiwami so soon after Zero seems like a mistake to me. I consciously didn't spend as much time on this game as others have (I beat it in a little more than 30 hours) because I don't want to burn myself out before Kiwami comes out, seeing as it looks like it plays very simliarly to this game. But I can imagine a lot of people who bought will have had their fill and then some by summer time, and skip or put off Kiwami.

Can't speak for others but even if I'm burned out I'll still buy it day 1. I've had 4 and 5 just sitting there for ages, and I'm only now getting to 4, probably not get to 5 for another few months at least either (possibly not until around Kiwami releases), so it wouldn't be anything new for me, just would have played the series in a fucked up order, probably go something like 0>4>5>Kiwami>6>2>3 (if they get put on the PS4).

Teb-Tengri

Neo Member
Can't speak for others but even if I'm burned out I'll still buy it day 1. I've had 4 and 5 just sitting there for ages, and I'm only now getting to 4, probably not get to 5 for another few months at least either (possibly not until around Kiwami releases), so it wouldn't be anything new for me, just would have played the series in a fucked up order, probably go something like 0>4>5>Kiwami>6>2>3 (if they get put on the PS4).

Same here - I am only now getting to Y5. For some reason I think Y4 looks so much better than 5 graphically but maybe its my mind playing tricks especially switching between 0 :)

There is a scene at the start where Akiyama is leaving his office during the rain and I remember I was blown away when I got control of him.

Hobbun

"All new copies of Yakuza 4 in the US will come with download codes for the following extra content:
Bonus costumes for Kazuma, Akiyama, Taiga, Tanimura, and Haruka
Survival Mode
Underground car park racing
The much-loved underground Fighting Arena"

There's another piece of free dlc for Yakuza 4 that you can still get on the store but you can't get the above dlc pack.

Ok, so no biggie (IMO). Losing the arena could be a bit disappointing, but nothing major. For me, at least.

Lol, you did the right thing. Hope you enjoy 2-4.

I'm still hoping to see remakes of these, especially Y2. And will buy them if they do make them.

Menitta

Same here - I am only now getting to Y5. For some reason I think Y4 looks so much better than 5 graphically but maybe its my mind playing tricks especially switching between 0 :)

There is a scene at the start where Akiyama is leaving his office during the rain and I remember I was blown away when I got control of him.

I felt the exact same way when I played 5. I don't know what it is. There's something about 4 that looks better to me.

Conezays

Just finished the game. Pretty glorious 65+ hours of fun for me; no real complaints. I think there's arguably a couple minor plot and difficulty issues (it's quite easy, even on Hard), but nonetheless one of my favourite entries in the series. Highly recommended.

Stats:

Hard, 67 hours, Completion: 40.64 %, Total Money Earned: 33, 028, 165, 724 yen.

Fhtagn

OK, thanks to the heads up about Y2 being available on Amazon, I verified that I do really know where my copies of Yakuza 1 & 2 are; apparently I bought them both used, $24.99 and $19.99 respectively.

Sorry Sega, I was broke as a joke back then. Bought 3&4 used too, since I got a PS3 way late. 5 & 0 were day one pre-orders though!

The Yakuza 2 prices are stupid. Any chance the remake comes here?

There are new copies up on Amazon today for $50 which is lower than they've been in a long time. I'm hoping for a PS2 on PS4 release or a proper remake; I think the ship has sailed on the PS3 Y1&2 remake ever making it over here.

Would be nice if they remade 2 & 3 for ps4 also...since i have only played 4 & 5

I feel like 2 is the only one that they'd remake. 3,4 and 5 will get remasters at best, mainly because it's such a massive undertaking. 4 and 5 in particular. Plus Y2 is the only PS2 game left, while in Japan you have literally every mainline Yakuza game except 6 available on the PS3 including Kenzan and Ishin.

One thing to take into account here is that Y6 is the last game with Kiryu as the protagonist. Considering the name of the series is tied to the whole Dragon thing (Ryu ga Gotoku translates to something along the lines of "Like a Dragon") so they might cast a new protagonist or go for a completely new set of characters altogether.

Or they might change everything including the name.

based on precedent, yakuza 2 kiwami would remove kaoru and replace her with majima in every scene
The
rooftop
scene would be a thing of beauty.

OK, thanks to the heads up about Y2 being available on Amazon, I verified that I do really know where my copies of Yakuza 1 & 2 are; apparently I bought them both used, $24.99 and $19.99 respectively.

Sorry Sega, I was broke as a joke back then. Bought 3&4 used too, since I got a PS3 way late. 5 & 0 were day one pre-orders though!

There are new copies up on Amazon today for $50 which is lower than they've been in a long time. I'm hoping for a PS2 on PS4 release or a proper remake; I think the ship has sailed on the PS3 Y1&2 remake ever making it over here.
Those have to be fake. It's like $80 just for the disc.

Past

The Yakuza 2 prices are stupid. Any chance the remake comes here?

Funny you say that since Yakuza 1-4 literally just got a reprint.
kumbzNz.png

https://twitter.com/sam_mullen/status/830109178672734208

Someone should make a thread about this.

I am so happy this game is getting the popularity it is and so many new people are playing and really enjoying it. I got into the Yakuza series late, just a few years ago and was kicking myself for taking so long to do it. I even posted a thread a year ago stating Yakuza is one of the best series in gaming today, why don't you play it?http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181678&highlight=yakuza
It resulted in quite a bit of apathy which was to be expected. But it's awesome to see this turning around. I'll also just say that now that you know how awesome Yakuza is, don't be intimidated to think you have to play them in order. Kiwami will be a great next step but then it's absolutely viable to jump to 3 or 4. Also as much as you want to play 5 more games in a series RIGHT NOW, don't burn yourself out. It took me a few years to catch up.

remake of 2 using the Dragon Engine would be great

5 simple needs to be a 1080/60 remaster since it's using the same engine as Ishin/0/Kiwami already

I wonder what they have in store for 3/4 (if they do decide to bring it over). These are kinda stuck in no-man's land where
- remaking them using the Dragon Engine might be too much work
- using the 5/Ishin/0/Kiwami engine is a step back technologically
- simple remaster would leave them too last-gen

I recall an interview saying that Kiwami's budget was merely that of vita game because of the asset reuse

Top Bottom