• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Menitta

Lmao is Yakuza 2's cover literally just Yakuza 1's, but in black and white and slightly zoomed in? It looks like a reprint or a Greatest Hits version of the first game, not a sequel.

Yes that is the cover. The Japanese one is way better.

2166250-yakuza_2_01.jpg

1-4 all had different covers. The only English cover I like more is Yakuza 4's.

Harmen

Eh, hate situations like this.

Really was just hoping to be able to get remade/remastered copies for the PS4 for all of them.

But now I have to think about purchasing these (or at least Y2) in the event it doesn’t happen.

Edit: Went ahead and purchased Y2-Y4.

My resolve is awful.

2 is one of the best ps2 games in my opinion. Sure, the combat and some action sequences may have aged but it has most elements that people love about the series in full effect. Booted up the start yesterday to see how it holds up and the cutscenes and direction are still great, taking into account the more limited character models of the time.

Also, something that the other mainline Yakuza titles have over 0 is that some of the extremely silly sidestuff have full on quality cutscenes as well.

Fhtagn

Why would they repress? No seal on top and can't tell if y seal makes me hesitant.

My guess is that all of them had low print runs, Y2 has a really high used price, and Y0 pre-orders were probably trending higher than expected...

so depending on the costs of negotiating a repress of a few thousand copies, it's either a no brainer or a surprise.

arite, started another sesh of remote play at work, this time on my vita.

now, I started off with that Akko chick, what the fuck is up with that ufo catcher? I grabbed a couple of stuffed toys but the fucking claw could not clasp and collected it for me! :mad:

i just gave up after trying like 4 times. then, I moved on to the boss battle...

and holy fuck, man
that blind chick was the "mark" majima was after. I remember seeing a quick cut scene in a video review that that chick was being abducted, but at the time I did not know it was a twist reveal, nor could I tell she was blind.

but man, has this game's story got me captivated. i can't wait to play more. only...I was in that fight after the boss fight, and RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT, my ps vita fucking dies!!!!

so now my Ps4 is stuck, on at my apartment. does the Ps4 automatically turn off if there is no activity?

other than that I also just unlocked the new dancer fighting style, the name escapes me. although the moves are cool and everything, i think i'm gonna stick with the one with the bat, which its name also escapes me. i just love the fact that I have this bat with me automatically at all times.

Hobbun

Guess I should have asked this before purchasing, but has anyone played Yakuza 2 on an original BC PS3? I have the original 60 gig version (but new hard drive).

Does it have any issues playing the game?

Ok, thanks.

Fortunately I will be playing 1 via Kiwami.

Just remember that the PS2 version will be vastly different than what 0 and Kiwami offer.

Expect a lot of loading screens. The combat will also be "simpler" in that game, at least in the beginning.

Hobbun

Just remember that the PS2 version will be vastly different than what 0 and Kiwami offer.

Expect a lot of loading screens. The combat will also be "simpler" in that game, at least in the beginning.

Yes, I figured it would be quite a bit different. It’s one of the reasons why I am still hoping that Y2 gets remade, as well. Going to keep Y2 (PS2 version) sealed just in case.

I’m still a good ways of actually playing the game in just starting 0, and with how slow I play in general. Never mind there are a number of games I want to get to first.

Menitta

I'm starting to just cheat with Mr Shakedown where I just bought a bunch of guns and swords along with repairing a golden rifle I got in a dream machine. It has very much paid off.

Haha i already ordered the Switch and the Pikachu 3DS...also PS2 isnt hooked up x.x decisions...decisions...
1,3 and 4 you can get cheaper used if you're not concerned about new/mint condition from looking at eBay. Yakuza 2 I would absolutely get if you intend to play it. It's $130+ for a complete copy.

Koppai

1,3 and 4 you can get cheaper used if you're not concerned about new/mint condition from looking at eBay. Yakuza 2 I would absolutely get if you intend to play it. It's $130+ for a complete copy.
You've convinced me since there has not been a remake of Yakuza 2 announced. Bought. Thanks boo <3

On Chapter 11 so far and
Nishitani seems like he's going to be an influence on Majima as we know him in the later games, that and the fight club under the river.
Really cool character developement, if so.

I've digested the ending a bit now, and in retrospect, they kinda fumbled Majima's transition from actually pretty serious and somber dude to the insane psycho he is in later games.
It seems like the game constantly teases you with the prospect of him eventually 'snapping'. The dudes kicking the shit out of him seemed like a good time. Makimura getting shot in front of him would have been a good time. When he started kicking the dudes back it seemed like it finally happened; Sagawa even calls him a mad dog during that scene. But then he goes right back to being more level-headed during his two final bosses and subsequent cutscenes. He's revenge-driven and embittered throughout the finale, yes, but he certainly isn't insane.

Then at the end of the game, you see him talking to Sagawa and he basically has to spell out to the audience that yeah, he's totally batshit now for some reason. It just seems like clumsy execution to me.

Aki-at

Well Lily was no angel, she bloody killed people even if coerced, her fate was kind of sealed, as was Goda's...but man, Tachibana's was the saddest of them all (He was the least terrible of the three!). Kiryu keeps messing up getting siblings to meet up...and if you wanna get technical sworn "brothers" also bite it (Shinji, Nishiki, Rikiya).

I never felt just because
a character killed another that should mean they had to be killed off. But now that I think about it it seems to be a running rule in the series too... Which is totally strange considering we're talking about yakuzas here :p

I think from Yakuza 3
Joji Kazama is the only one to escape this strange killer = death fate.

Harmen

Finished it, really amazing game. Unless some other title unexpectedly blows me away, I predict it is my game of the year.

Took me 50 hours. Did some of the fun sidequests and earned some money for some fun/useful combat upgrades but am not a competionist. I won't dive deep into the side material (maybe hostess with Majima because it is damn fun) because I will play two Yakuza games in the coming year and maybe 5 if I can buy a cheap PS3 somewhere (my PS3 died).

As for the story comlaint some have regarding Majima's
unconvincing change to his persona we know and love in the stories that follow, I think we need to realize that there is quite a gap in time still until the first Yakuza game. They definitely planted the seeds for him to become the "mad dog", but in my opinion the full on change is wisely kept it out of this story. Pulling of such a massive change is better imagined gradually in my opinion.

hbkdx12

As for the story comlaint some have regarding Majima's
unconvincing change to his persona we know and love in the stories that follow, I think we need to realize that there is quite a gap in time still until the first Yakuza game. They definitely planted the seeds for him to become the "mad dog", but in my opinion the full on change is wisely kept it out of this story. Pulling of such a massive change is better imagined gradually in my opinion.

Except as a first timer in the series, the KIRYUUU at the end was pretty confusing and off putting to me as there's no indication how they even know each other considering they never cross paths in the game

Harmen

Except as a first timer in the series, the KIRYUUU at the end was pretty confusing and off putting to me as there's no indication how they even know each other considering they never cross paths in the game

I assume that was fanservice and that it takes place further along in the future. I don't think that was meant to be their first meeting taking place right after 0.

For long time fans, 0 gives him a fantastic background in a different stage of his life. But I can see people new to the series being put off (initially) by Majima in other Yakuza games if they expect the same level headed guy as in 0.

vilmer_

Another incredible entry into an even more incredible series as a whole, what a ride that was. Kazzy remains the most badass character in video game history.

I noticed the reprint of 1-4 and I just put in the order. All proceeds going to Sega and Sony for allowing this series to happen.

firelogic

Great game and story but there's one thing that was a little disappointing.
Kazuma and Goro never met in the game. I thought we'd get some story showing how they met and how they kicked major ass together. I kept waiting for their paths to converge and sadly, it never happened. Outside of the little stinger of course. Oh and no Yumi!! I wanted to see Kaz, Nishiki, and Yumi together.

hbkdx12

I assume that was fanservice and that it takes place further along in the future. I don't think that was meant to be their first meeting taking place right after 0.

For long time fans, 0 gives him a fantastic background in a different stage of his life. But I can see people new to the series being put off (initially) by Majima in other Yakuza games if they expect the same level headed guy as in 0.
yeah I assumed it was fan service but it just felt a bit weird coming off the two heartfelt moments majima had at the end with makoto and then the watch.

Another incredible entry into an even more incredible series as a whole, what a ride that was. Kazzy remains the most badass character in video game history.

I noticed the reprint of 1-4 and I just put in the order. All proceeds going to Sega and Sony for allowing this series to happen.
I don't really know who I ended up liking more. I think I give majima the edge given his resolve throughout the majority of the story and then the slow descent into madness towards the end.
I will say I never thought majima was in love with makoto up until they started saying it towards the end. I always felt like it was a protective big brother kind of vibe that originated out of pity and sympathy

gow3isben

The sidequests in this game are too much man. They often have like a moral of the story to them which is so damn funny looking at the content.

My favorite scenes are the "Holy Shit!" ones when Goro or Kiryu first witness a new style.

vilmer_

I don't really know who I ended up liking more. I think I give majima the edge given his resolve throughout the majority of the story and then the slow descent into madness towards the end.
I will say I never thought majima was in love with makoto up until they started saying it towards the end. I always felt like it was a protective big brother kind of vibe that originated out of pity and sympathy

I love Majima. I just didn't like the fact that it took until one of the very last ending cutscenes for him to tell Sagawa to go fuck himself. Sagawa should've been dealt with at about the 20th hour of gameplay time. Imagine if he ran into Kiryu ;)

Finally finished the main story, boy I see what some poster meant by that return of the king ending.
I had to cancel my nioh plans for the night as a result.

Gonna sleep on my impressions but I can say as a series newcomer I'm on board for the remake of yakuza 1.

Revven

I can't believe I went and got three stars on every song on every difficulty of each song for the disco mini-game. But it's so worth it to do it because of all the CP you rake in from it. Not to mention satisfying as hell, haha.

Heck, I originally didn't even like the mini-game but at some point during one of the substories for it I started to get it and it clicked. Soon enough, I got good enough to do Queen of Passion on Hard, three stars, and that pushed me to do all the others. Just nutty.

Top Bottom