• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Aki-at

There's been way more buzz about this one than Y5 though. I could easily see it doing 400k, maybe even 600k

I still find that unlikely. In the British charts it entered at 8th but fell out of the top 40 the following week. In America it didn't manage to break the top ten best selling Playstation 4 titles. And 400,000 is actually a lot of sales, expecting it to all of a sudden rival Japanese sales might be expecting a bit too much (Even stuff like Persona 4 didn't manage to hit 400,000 sales in the West :p )

game more fun than nioh? I think I wanna get this before Zelda.

If you want a deep combat engine that focuses on character action, get Nioh.

If you want a great JRPG with a fun combat engine, Yakuza 0 might be right up your alley.

Really though the two are very different games.

Ultimadrago

Okay. I made peace with it. I won't be able to plat this game.

What was the nail in the coffin? Mahjong? That certainly took some luck for me (for the specific hands). Still very possible though! Of course, if it's the time it takes, I certainly don't blame one for not wanting to wade through that.

you're saying if I do this substory then this item becomes available at the store?

Yes! Only available in Osaka though, so if you're Kiryu, you'll need to use the Shared Item Box or have him ride over to buy some if you would like to stock him up as well.

Yes! Only available in Osaka though, so if you're Kiryu, you'll need to use the Shared Item Box or have him ride over to buy some if you would like to stock him up as well.
okay, cool. so far i've been playing on hard and have been doing fine with staminan xxs and royales. as long as i don't run out of any during a boss battle, i'll worry about that later

Floody

so the item that gives you the most heat and health simultaneously is stamina spark, and can only be obtained from vending machines, thanks

One of Majima's substories opens up a item called Peerless Habu Drink at the drug store which fills both health and heat to full.

I still find that unlikely. In the British charts it entered at 8th but fell out of the top 40 the following week. In America it didn't manage to break the top ten best selling Playstation 4 titles. And 400,000 is actually a lot of sales, expecting it to all of a sudden rival Japanese sales might be expecting a bit too much (Even stuff like Persona 4 didn't manage to hit 400,000 sales in the West :p )

If you want a deep combat engine that focuses on character action, get Nioh.

If you want a great JRPG with a fun combat engine, Yakuza 0 might be right up your alley.

Really though the two are very different games.
I have nioh. I am about done with it.. this game looks so rad. fuckin Zelda is ruining it.

Aki-at

I have nioh. I am about done with it.. this game looks so rad. fuckin Zelda is ruining it.

Yakuza 0 is a game you might end up throwing 100+ hours on, I mean, I completed the game and had 80+ hours spent and didn't even touch the side content that much....

Basically it's very possible this game will eat into your Zelda playing time, if you're fine with that and love everything you've seen, then go for it!

Yakuza 0 is a game you might end up throwing 100+ hours on, I mean, I completed the game and had 80+ hours spent and didn't even touch the side content that much....

Basically it's very possible this game will eat into your Zelda playing time, if you're fine with that and love everything you've seen, then go for it!

just ordered it. Zelda first. but this fucker has me for a good 2 weeks.

I think you mean...

Fuck you,
yes, that is exactly what I mean. fuck him all the way to hell. the emotions Kiryu was feeling, the fist he made, the rage, the heat, that's exactly how I felt in reflection.
One of Majima's substories opens up a item called Peerless Habu Drink at the drug store which fills both health and heat to full.
gotcha well I'm him in Kamurocho right now so I'll have to worry about that later. But thanks.

anyways,
where do I go to find Makimoro?

edit: figured I was gonna go to west park, but I figured I would give the empty lot a visit.

yes, that is exactly what I mean. fuck him all the way to hell. the emotions Kiryu was feeling, the fist he made, the rage, the heat, that's exactly how I felt in reflection.

gotcha well I'm him in Kamurocho right now so I'll have to worry about that later. But thanks.

anyways,
where do I go to find Makimoro?

The
empty lot

xezuru

Cheapos be happy, Club Xezuru may be the highest quality cabaret club in the entirety of Sotenbori (if not the world) but even you young man can afford its features during ugly days, twice a week our platinum cast takes a well deserved rest so all you people wanting an initial taster test enjoy the company of the best baachans in the business.

I just realized something today. Did they toned down the blood a little bit?
Like blood dripping on clothes, making them red. Also blood staying on the face. I remember such things from yakuza 3.

Now there is still blood flying around in Yakuza 0, but clothes never get dirty anymore.

Don't remember how it was in Yakuza 4.

I just realized something today. Did they toned down the blood a little bit?
Like blood dripping on clothes, making them red. Also blood staying on the face. I remember such things from yakuza 3.

Now there is still blood flying around in Yakuza 0, but clothes never get dirty anymore.

Don't remember how it was in Yakuza 4.

I think it got toned back on later games as well. The later games (well 5 and up from memory, I don't remember 4) had less facial damage/blood compared to the earlier games (especially 3) which had some cool facial damage to really show how hard you were beating your enemies!

xabbott

I've never played a Yakuza game. Pre-ordered after all the buzz. I love the characters, the side quest, the minigames, the city, and the silly moments. But damn the pacing is just so off for me and it feels like a chore getting to the parts I like.

The story is all over the place. I think I got past chapter 5 and pretty sure I'll end up trading this in and just watching Giant Bomb finish this. I suspect if this was a hit the next game is going to sell far fewer even with good reviews.

convo

I believe it's perfectly reasonable that Majima is more of a straight arrow in this game in particular.
He's on a goddam mission to save someone and his forced job requires him to be patient. You could see him starting to break free once he got into his outfit and freed from all that bullshit.And his final welcome to Kiryu at the end
And jesus christ you guys i can't tell you how much i liked
Homare Nishitani being the proto-mad-dog, he is basically Majima's spirit animal. They had only a few enounters with each other but of course you could tell what they were going for.Dreams were passed on.
Majima's party only got started .

I've never played a Yakuza game. Pre-ordered after all the buzz. I love the characters, the side quest, the minigames, the city, and the silly moments. But damn the pacing is just so off for me and it feels like a chore getting to the parts I like.

The story is all over the place. I think I got past chapter 5 and pretty sure I'll end up trading this in and just watching Giant Bomb finish this. I suspect if this was a hit the next game is going to sell far fewer even with good reviews.

Are you doing sidequests without realizing they're not the main story or something?

I think it got toned back on later games as well. The later games (well 5 and up from memory, I don't remember 4) had less facial damage/blood compared to the earlier games (especially 3) which had some cool facial damage to really show how hard you were beating your enemies!

Ah, so i have not imagined stuff.
Too bad. Wonder why they did that.
Couldn't think of a good reason.

just finished another chapter, 16, i'm, down to do it again, i'm on a roll

so
I could sorta see that bullet to Makimura coming, but the thing is it a little superfluous drama. If that ugly ass master assassin is every bit the assassin that the late Tachibana was making him out to be, how could he miss a head shot? Unless the orders from Dojima was to shoot but not kill...what would be the point of that? To have her clinging to life and kill her later?
I dunno man. But I'm gonna keep playing.

convo

You could ask for help in lessening the tedium you are experiencing with whatever specific thing, just need to ask what you are currently having problems with. Advisors in this community won't be going anywhere.

DC1

What was the road block? I thought I hit it a couple of times and got over it (maybe for fear that this would be the first Yakuza title I didn't plat). Now I'm trying to dance my way pass 'I'm Going Make Her Mine" ..

By the way, peace is a good thing. I had to that with a few games in the past and I happy to report that my blood pressure returned to normal the following day.

What is "all over the place" about the story? The fact that it switches between characters? Because I think so far the story has great pacing (I'm on Ch. 10). If your pacing comment is because you keep playing minigames and sidequests instead of just focusing on the story missions, well...

Ah, so i have not imagined stuff.
Too bad. Wonder why they did that.
Couldn't think of a good reason.

There is one boss fight where I noticed Kiryu's suit starts getting messed up, but yeah other than that no battle damage.

So I just unlocked the
4th style
for finishing the real estate side quest. The only thing is
Im not sure how to select it. I've put points in its tree but it's not showing up on the style select mid battle.

Smilebomb

Neo Member
So how exactly should I be using fever time in cabaret management? Should I let it fill up all the way to level 3 or just use it right away? And what's the difference between lvl1 and 3?

SephLuis

So I just unlocked the
4th style
for finishing the real estate side quest. The only thing is
Im not sure how to select it. I've put points in its tree but it's not showing up on the style select mid battle.

You need to press square in the menu/pause screen.

It turns on/off the style so if you want to switch back, just hit square in the menu again.

So how exactly should I be using fever time in cabaret management? Should I let it fill up all the way to level 3 or just use it right away? And what's the difference between lvl1 and 3?

Lvl 1 puts two tables in fever time. Lvl 2 puts up to four tables. Lvl 3 the entire place goes party. When you use depends on the situation.

If people are about to leave, fever time adds a little bit of time in a table. You can also trigger it without spending bar if you convince the customer to stay more time.

convo

I would love to
fight amon
one day but my shit rhythm skills won't get me anywhere.It's ok to not bother. I would need a training montage to finally improve my skills in that field of gaming. And gambling and luck based things are just a time-sink.

Linkura

Funny you say that cause that's his
fifth fight with you lol.
Yup but I was referring to the publisher. Reminds me of Jeanne D'Arc
where you fight some scrub like 50 times (exaggeration) in the game.

In the endgame right now. Damn Awano
kinda redeemed himself there. Went out like a boss.

Also I tried the bonus boss and got 1 hit TKO. Fuck that. Just gonna skip it and beat the game.

Aki-at

just finished another chapter, 16, i'm, down to do it again, i'm on a roll

so
I could sorta see that bullet to Makimura coming, but the thing is it a little superfluous drama. If that ugly ass master assassin is every bit the assassin that the late Tachibana was making him out to be, how could he miss a head shot? Unless the orders from Dojima was to shoot but not kill...what would be the point of that? To have her clinging to life and kill her later?
I dunno man. But I'm gonna keep playing.

You know, I felt really bad
beating down Nishiki... My hands will never again be clean from his blood :(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I loved
that fight. His theme music was even more heroic and upbeat than everyone else you fight. I felt like the bad guy in that situation, which was perfect for how Majima was feeling/acting at that moment. It was also a great way to show what a bro Nishiki is.

yeah I didn't like that either. I would have rather
switched roles and play as Nishiki to kick Majima's ass.

By the way, this last boss battle with
Kuze is really hard...he keeps interrupting my combos and I can't block or run away from his

yeah I didn't like that either. I would have rather
switched roles and play as Nishiki to kick Majima's ass.

By the way, this last boss battle with
Kuze is really hard...he keeps interrupting my combos and I can't block or run away from his

Rush is your friend. Invest money into it and use L1 and X liberally. Also, try to hit him from behind.

Finale spoilers

Awano sacrificing himself actually made sense. I think he saw his old self in Majima, and really admired him for it. He also really didn't respect Dojima especially because he used Lao Gui. Who isn't Japanese, and an outsider to the Yakuza.

Awano, Kuze, and Shibusawa complemented each other perfectly. Kuze - Front man fool, Shibusawa - Tactician (Wannabe Kazama), Awano - Money = Power. I think they were written strongly enough that other games could use a single one of them as the starring villain, The screen time all of them felt close to equal too.

i'm on the finale, i'm on the boat
what's the best way to dodge bullets? they're going to be the fucking end of me yet.

Not that far yet, but Majima has a special heat move that disarms pistols and for Kiryu I just use beast to either tank hits or defeat them first.

Karu

Finale spoilers

Awano sacrificing himself actually made sense. I think he saw his old self in Majima, and really admired him for it. He also really didn't respect Dojima especially because he used Lao Gui. Who isn't Japanese, and an outsider to the Yakuza.

Awano, Kuze, and Shibusawa complemented each other perfectly. Kuze - Front man fool, Shibusawa - Tactician (Wannabe Kazama), Awano - Money = Power. I think they were written strongly enough that other games could use a single one of them as the starring villain, The screen time all of them felt close to equal too.
When I started the game, I was immediately like... oh okay... Game structure will be like...
Kill Kuze! Kill Awano! Kill Shibusawa! Kill Endboss! And in a way, it was exactly that... but then again, not at all. A big reason why I could take it all seriously, not being constantly reminded of this being a videogame story.

Not that far yet, but Majima has a special heat move that disarms pistols and for Kiryu I just use beast to either tank hits or defeat them first.
i'm
on the boat
with kiryu it seems like I can just rush passed so if I can just attack the guy shooting me while able to dodge the bullets that'd be great. i'd hate to have to waste all my stamina royales before presumably having to fight
evil glasses guy at the top...forget his name

Top Bottom