• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

i'm
on the boat
with kiryu it seems like I can just rush passed so if I can just attack the guy shooting me while able to dodge the bullets that'd be great. i'd hate to have to waste all my stamina royales before presumably having to fight
evil glasses guy at the top...forget his name

If there are large items nearby, you can grab them and use L1 with them to fully block bullets as you slowly make your way towards them.

If there are large items nearby, you can grab them and use L1 with them to fully block bullets as you slowly make your way towards them.

OMG if I knew this ahead of time I probably would've been fine haha

made it to the top
of the boat. now a prerendered cutscene ensues...

used a whole lot of stamina royales though so I hope I have enough left to make it through this boss fight.

muteki

Beat Leisure King....it is going to be really hard to pry me away from side stuff now and get me to continue. Hard to resist buying up all the Electronics stores now.

Everyone just know that there is a post-credits scene so don't drop the controller and run to your bedroom to cry, cry in front of your TV/monitor and wait for it.

Beat Leisure King....it is going to be really hard to pry me away from side stuff now and get me to continue. Hard to resist buying up all the Electronics stores now.

I'm in competition with the Electronics King now also. I know the game wants me to buy all the properties, but I have standards! I don't need another crusty pachinko place.

okay,
why do they have to throw one bossfight on to you literally after another, this hideous mothafucker lao gui is on me and he's really hard to beat with all that health, the fuck do I do against him

l1 doesn't do shit

xezuru

okay,
why do they have to throw one bossfight on to you literally after another, this hideous mothafucker lao gui is on me and he's really hard to beat with all that health, the fuck do I do against him

l1 doesn't do shit

Weapons can defend against weapons, so slugger can block knives

Weapons can defend against weapons, so slugger can block knives

can it block fuckin bullets too? asshole has a gun, a sword, and wolverine claws on him

edit: nvm I got him, but now back onto kiryu's side...Jesus this is bossfight after bossfight, bossfight fatigue over here!

OH MY GOD...was it really necessary to give this imbecile ANOTHER extra bar of health?!

edit: every time i face him head on he just keeps swinging, I don't get how I'm supposed to beat him

kiaaa

OH MY GOD...was it really necessary to give this imbecile ANOTHER extra bar of health?!

I didn't find any of the end-game fights too hard on Hard, but I did do a ton of sidequest shit.

For
Shibusawa
, you can actually follow his style changes with yours to beat him. I thought that was pretty neat.

Wheatly

edit: every time i face him head on he just keeps swinging, I don't get how I'm supposed to beat him

Man I must have been too into real estate because my Kiryu was jacked - the boss didn't stand a chance :p

I didn't find any of the end-game fights too hard on Hard, but I did do a ton of sidequest shit.

For
Shibusawa
, you can actually follow his style changes with yours to beat him. I thought that was pretty neat.
what do you mean
follow his style changes?
Man I must have been too into real estate because my Kiryu was jacked - the boss didn't stand a chance :p
yeah I probably should have invested more in real estate and side stories, my stats aren't really beefed up and Kiryu's having a hard time.

I thought I'd be able to beat this game tonight but now I'm having second thoughts. fuck.

Whoa, it's weird looking at Yakuza 1 and seeing how, despite being fundamentally the same kind of game, how poorly aged it seems to be mechanically. Nevermind the San Andreas looking graphics, off-key animations, CRT-friendly UI, and that bad dub - It's just weird seeing what are almost exactly the same gameplay mechanics I've been enjoying in Yakuza 0, but with like no polish whatsoever. Oh and Resident Evil-Camera gives me nausea, ESPECIALLY Resident Evil-Camera mixed with the Hitchcock Effect, which footage I've seen of Yakuza 1 is full of.

And out of curiosity, does the whole rest of the series take place in Kamurocho? Heh, guess that helps explains how these games get pumped out so quickly (in Japan) if they've been iterating on the same map for a decade.

It'll be interesting to compare Yakuza 1 side by side with Kiwami when it comes out in the west.

by far the most annoying part of the gameplay has to be when you're drop down and have to tap X to get the fuck back up

have I made a single post in this thread without cursing?

Wheatly

what do you mean
follow his style changes?
yeah I probably should have invested more in real estate and side stories, my stats aren't really beefed up and Kiryu's having a hard time.

I thought I'd be able to beat this game tonight but now I'm having second thoughts. fuck.

Did you remember to stock up on stamina royales beforehand?

Did you remember to stock up on stamina royales beforehand?

of course I did but because of all the dickhead Yakuza I had to fight beforehand, on top of the ones with guns, I went through a whole bunch of them before making it to the top.

If I lose to him again I'm just gonna call it a night

And out of curiosity, does the whole rest of the series take place in Kamurocho? Heh, guess that helps explains how these games get pumped out so quickly (in Japan) if they've been iterating on the same map for a decade.

It'll be interesting to compare Yakuza 1 side by side with Kiwami when it comes out in the west.
Kamorucho is in every mainline game.

Yakuza 1 - Kamorucho
Yakuza 2 - Sotenbori and Kamorucho
Yakuza 3 - Okinawa and Kamorucho
Yakuza 4 - Kamorucho (with rooftops and underground)
Yakuza 5 - Sotenbori, Nagasugai, Tsukimino, Kin'eicho and Kamorucho
Yakuza 6 - Hiroshima and Kamorucho

Wheatly

of course I did but because of all the dickhead Yakuza I had to fight beforehand, on top of the ones with guns, I went through a whole bunch of them before making it to the top.

What was the nail in the coffin? Mahjong? That certainly took some luck for me (for the specific hands). Still very possible though! Of course, if it's the time it takes, I certainly don't blame one for not wanting to wade through that.
What was the road block? I thought I hit it a couple of times and got over it (maybe for fear that this would be the first Yakuza title I didn't plat). Now I'm trying to dance my way pass 'I'm Going Make Her Mine" ..

By the way, peace is a good thing. I had to that with a few games in the past and I happy to report that my blood pressure returned to normal the following day.
Yeah, it was Mahjong. I have played that mini-game for +10 hours now and I still haven't been able to get the majority of hands needed for CP list. Each time I think I got it, someone beats me to the punch and gets a win before I can complete my hand.

Last night after a couple of hours I just decided to stop. It's a huge time sink.
I would love to
fight amon
one day but my shit rhythm skills won't get me anywhere.It's ok to not bother. I would need a training montage to finally improve my skills in that field of gaming. And gambling and luck based things are just a time-sink.
Thankfully I should be able to do that since I've already done the dancing sub-stories. They seemed impossible at first, but after a while I got used to the mechanics and wreck both of those annoying dancers. Hahaha.

Kamorucho is in every mainline game.

Yakuza 1 - Kamorucho
Yakuza 2 - Sotenbori and Kamorucho
Yakuza 3 - Okinawa and Kamorucho
Yakuza 4 - Kamorucho (with rooftops and underground)
Yakuza 5 - Sotenbori, Nagasugai, Tsukimino, Kin'eicho and Kamorucho
Yakuza 6 - Hiroshima and Kamorucho

Also what amazes me is how consistent Kazuma's appearance is between Yakuza 1 (and 6) and this.

Like, apart from Sergeant Johnson, I can't think of a single other character that survived the HD transition looking like the same character. In between some that were inexplicably aged worse than a US president* (Killzone 1's cast that transitioned into the sequels) and the majority that were suddenly modeled off of a famous actor because of the Hollywood fetish the industry got infected with last gen, I'm struggling to come up with other examples.

Really got to hand it to Team RGG with their consistency in character designs over the decade.

EDIT:

Damnit I missed an amazing opportunity to slip in an Old Snake joke there.

DC1

Yeah, it was Mahjong. I have played that mini-game for +10 hours now and I still haven't been able to get the majority of hands needed for CP list. Each time I think I got it, someone beats me to the punch and gets a win before I can complete my hand.

Last night after a couple of hours I just decided to stop. It's a huge time sink.

Thankfully I should be able to do that since I've already done the dancing sub-stories. They seemed impossible at first, but after a while I got used to the mechanics and wreck both of those annoying dancers. Hahaha.
Oh... I can help man. I thought I was going to throwup playing Mahjong until I finally understood how to call riichi. To put this in perspective I lost 9 out of 10 times before understand the base rule.. now I win 9 out of 10.

Are you hitting the circle button when your hand is ready (while completely closed)? If so, you can call riichi and the game will play to your favor. Just keep in mind that the game will not prompt you as it does with other calls.

So, some thoughts on Majima's ending:

Was there a point to that scene where he's walking the streets being assaulted by some punks? I think the setup is a little lame - "oh man I can't believe Shimano is playing me, woe is me" - but it was very specific that he got kicked in the head, just a bit after Tachibana was killed by a strike to the head. Maybe that's part of why he goes crazy. Otherwise the game didn't really sell the transition to Mad Dog. I loved his style in the beginning, but his shitty haircut and snake jacket sucks.

Oh, and I didn't catch the fact that Makoto never knew his name. It's probably done for him to be able to make a clean transition, but while blind she recognized Oda's voice from years ago, and now she doesn't recognize the guy who spent a bunch of time with her. At least she remembers him.

Oh... I can help man. I thought I was going to throwup playing Mahjong until I finally understood how to call riichi. To put this in perspective I lost 9 out of 10 times before understand the base rule.. now I win 9 out of 10.

Are you hitting the circle button when your hand is ready (while completely closed)? If so, you can call riichi and the game will play to your favor. Just keep in mind that the game will not prompt you as it does with other calls.
Yeah, I know how to do riichi. The problem is that I never manage to get riichi ippatsu which happens when the next tile after saying riichi is one of the tiles that gets you a win.

Also, I haven't be able to get a haneman and haven't been able to get that hand the you have to get 5 times (maneman?). I know how I'm supposed the get them. But once again the problem is that I don't get the tiles that I need in order to form them. It's all just gotten very frustrating.

So, some thoughts on Majima's ending:

Oh, and I didn't catch the fact that Makoto never knew his name. It's probably done for him to be able to make a clean transition, but while blind she recognized Oda's voice from years ago, and now she doesn't recognize the guy who spent a bunch of time with her. At least she remembers him.
Ending spoilers
In the last scene Majima knew that she would recognize his voice, so he didn't say a single word in front of Makoto.

Had my best score on OutRun (2.5 mil) and still came up short by half in the Electronics King battle. This is a way harder challenge than the karaoke battle. I mean, I know I suck at OutRun, though I blame it somewhat on the controls compared with the original arcade wheel. The d-pad is not precise enough and the stick has no finesse.

Also what amazes me is how consistent Kazuma's appearance is between Yakuza 1 (and 6) and this.

Like, apart from Sergeant Johnson, I can't think of a single other character that survived the HD transition looking like the same character. In between some that were inexplicably aged worse than a US president* (Killzone 1's cast that transitioned into the sequels) and the majority that were suddenly modeled off of a famous actor because of the Hollywood fetish the industry got infected with last gen, I'm struggling to come up with other examples.

Really got to hand it to Team RGG with their consistency in character designs over the decade.

EDIT:

Damnit I missed an amazing opportunity to slip in an Old Snake joke there.

And now, he and Majima still look somewhat cartoonish and stylisized, like video game characters, while everyone else is based on real actors and looks realistic.:p

And now, he and Majima still look somewhat cartoonish and stylisized, like video game characters, while everyone else is based on real actors and looks realistic.:p
I don't know, Kiryu looks fucking amazing in Yakuza 6. He did look a bit off in Yakuza 3 and 4, but he looked wonderful again in 5. 6 is a pretty hefty change to his face.

Yakuza-6_09-15-16_003.jpg

IrishNinja

okay so moon club guy showed up and did his stunt at the grand, and i was told to watch my back in dark alleys or whatever..how the fuck do you tie up the cabaret stuff once & for all?

I tried out the demo for the first time recently, and my jaw straight up dropped when the game started. Couldn't believe that it was all in-game and then the cutscene transitioned into gameplay.

is the demo still available? I'm conflicted, i want the full surprise but i also want to see it run on my TV! (would have been even better if the game was 60 fps, but hey, i already played 4 and 5 so it won't be a big shock)

okay so moon club guy showed up and did his stunt at the grand, and i was told to watch my back in dark alleys or whatever..how the fuck do you tie up the cabaret stuff once & for all?
Did you defeat his club in the final cabaret battle?

Cause then you're supposed to
fight him one-on-one, and then you're supposed to go to the grand for the big resolution (a tough fight so bring healing items)

is the demo still available? I'm conflicted, i want the full surprise but i also want to see it run on my TV! (would have been even better if the game was 60 fps, but hey, i already played 4 and 5 so it won't be a big shock)
It is, but only on JPN or HK PSN. You need to make an account for that region, access the store and "buy" the free demo. Then log in with the account on your ps4, go to library and download and play.

The demo will be restricted to the first chapter and most of the side stuff will be locked. You don't even need to download the full game, just the initial 12 or 13 GB of the game is enough for the content that you're allowed to access.

You can check it out, but I HIGHLY suggest skipping through all of the cutscenes, just in case.

So I'm at chapter and was wondering, when and where can I get my
manager chicken?

Thanks for ruining that ( ._.)

Once you've unlocked the business, go to the bowling alley and keep playing split games with the lady at the counter, then once the friendship gauge is full, she'll fill you in on the details.

Also did you like not see the cover of literally every other game in the series which has Kiryu front and center :D
and did you think they'd have a protagonist like Majima just to kill him off in the end?
Although that'd be pretty badass.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having such a hard time putting this game down. I only get some little time to play games during the week and I want to play this all day long. Loving every second of this entry so far.

IrishNinja

just finished chapter 11, quick observation:

0 > 2 > 4 > 3 = 5 > 1 i guess? it's been forever, kiwami might bump this up

honestly 5 has a lot of my favorite dudes but has troubled plot/villains etc, 3 is usually lower with me but replaying it recently, it's got some great stuff in it

just...it's been forever since 2, but the plot/character in this one is the series' top notch so far. unless it pulls a final fantasy level of shitting the bed in the 4th quarter, this is it for me

8bit

Knows the Score

Yeah, that took me some time on Hard. I had a bunch of Royales, Sacrifice Stones & Guns to take out anyone firing at me in advance. Was still a hard fight though, kind of wish I had stopped around chapter 12 to soak up the CP and real estate.

Top Bottom