• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

how do you make money as majima? I just noticed he doesn't have the shakedown perk.
The money earnings from the clubs seem paltry even if they scale as I beat down other clubs. What can I expect in the end? Like 200 million every session? Seems so small in comparison to how expensive upgrades are.

Clubs for small boosts. Mister Shakedown when you are looking to risk a big payoff. Or, in post-game, just transfer money from Kiryu.

Leveled up my hostesses a couple times and took on the Jupiter club again. Demolished them this time, 44m in sales to 19m.

One thing I did differently this time: I used to think that the club area customer hint (i.e. likes sexy girls who party hard) meant that you should only put those kinds of hostesses on your staff when targeting that area. Wrong. While that will be an emphasis, clients with other tastes will still come in, so I made sure to have a couple hostesses to satisfy men who like really cute or funny women.

Another strategy I employed – and I don't know if this will have long-term negative impacts – was that I previously always gave a customer a hostess, even if all of the available hostesses made them unhappy or angry. I decided to just not give those customers a hostess at all, and after a few seconds they'd leave. That prevented my hostesses from taking an HP hit from being in a no-win situation, and kept them available for someone they would be compatible with.

You can actually swap hostesses while they're with a customer, with no apparent ill effects (besides losing any happiness bonuses you may have earned with that hostess/customer combo already). I've had a bunch of instances where, say, none of the available hostesses work for a new customer but Yuki, who's busy with another customer, does. If Yuki's just started, I usually swap her immediately to the new customer unless the new customer isn't as wealthy; if she's almost done, I'll assign one of the free hostesses to the new guy, wait for Yuki to be available, and then swap her in.

The only thing is if you've improved a customer's mood via good service, if you swap in a new hostess those bonuses get reset. (I think that happens to Fever Time too but I don't remember if I've ever had to do that.) Usually this isn't a big issue

I didn't realize this until halfway through the game but it was a big help!

You can actually swap hostesses while they're with a customer, with no apparent ill effects (besides losing any happiness bonuses you may have earned with that hostess/customer combo already). I've had a bunch of instances where, say, none of the available hostesses work for a new customer but Yuki, who's busy with another customer, does. If Yuki's just started, I usually swap her immediately to the new customer unless the new customer isn't as wealthy; if she's almost done, I'll assign one of the free hostesses to the new guy, wait for Yuki to be available, and then swap her in.

The only thing is if you've improved a customer's mood via good service, if you swap in a new hostess those bonuses get reset. (I think that happens to Fever Time too but I don't remember if I've ever had to do that.) Usually this isn't a big issue

I didn't realize this until halfway through the game but it was a big help!

This works too if you know a person they like will be available soon but it also wastes a few seconds of potential money earning.

Yeah, I've done that with the Platinum hostesses when a wealthy customer comes in. Kinda feel bad for the Average Joes who suddenly get a Silver hostess instead of their dream girl, but they don't seem to take a mood dive from it. I swapped poor Ai-chan twice during the Jupiter battle; she's not too happy now, but she got about 11m in sales. I don't know if swapping burns out the hostesses faster.

Related, it's strange how sometimes a non-Platinum hostess can do better with a customer, even a wealthy or mega-rich customer, than a Platinum one. Part of the reason I had such big earnings in that Jupiter battle was I had a (I think) Silver hostess who a mega-rich guy was loving and got an extended session. I also have a Bronze hostess who cleans up in Jupiter area; she's already at level 20 just because she earns so much, outperforming Silver and Gold hostesses with seemingly similar stats.

SkylineRKR

Don't be afraid to swap hostesses mid conversation if a richer guy comes up that perfectly matches your occupied one. The most important is the type of visitor (ie, Skill), then get a hostess with a high skill rating. Secondary is that he prefers funny, sexy or w/e.

Level is important too, with too low levels you just can't satisfy the mega rich guys. I tried with a b-team and it just doesn't work out though with fever time and succesful orders you can still make those guys happy. But its not ideal.

Those rival battles are generally a piece of cake if you're leveled up properly (by mainly using a balanced team in your chase for fans, and do all the practice sessions with your plats). When you want to tackle a rival, always play a regular session with your b-team first so that your main team is in top shape for the boss. I struggled during the first 2 and barely won, but since then I steamrolled. You also get more platinum hostesses ofcourse. I never lost a rival battle.

Yeah, I've done that with the Platinum hostesses when a wealthy customer comes in. Kinda feel bad for the Average Joes who suddenly get a Silver hostess instead of their dream girl, but they don't seem to take a mood dive from it. I swapped poor Ai-chan twice during the Jupiter battle; she's not too happy now, but she got about 11m in sales. I don't know if swapping burns out the hostesses faster.

Related, it's strange how sometimes a non-Platinum hostess can do better with a customer, even a wealthy or mega-rich customer, than a Platinum one. Part of the reason I had such big earnings in that Jupiter battle was I had a (I think) Silver hostess who a mega-rich guy was loving and got an extended session. I also have a Bronze hostess who cleans up in Jupiter area; she's already at level 20 just because she earns so much, outperforming Silver and Gold hostesses with seemingly similar stats.

Makes sense if you think of everyone as actual people with likes and dislikes. Every hostess probably has a few regulars that are sweet on them, right? (he said knowing basically nothing about hostess clubs)

Re: surprisingly successful low-tier hostesses. One of the starter bronze hostesses (Namiko?) was a perennial top earner for me because she was my go-to for sexy party hostess requests.

SkylineRKR

The obetarian is up there with the platinum girls. With talking and funny, she strucks gold. The thing Platinum have over the rest is that there are clients who specifically ask for them and those rake in good cash. I think Erranda came in third during the final battle, she's only silver.

GeeTeeCee

I just beat the game after playing since release day: 72 hours, 80% completion.

While Yakuza 4 will always have a special place in my heart as the first Yakuza game I ever played, I think 0 might just have become my favourite of the series.

The finale was superb;
I liked the fact that it wasn't overlong, and the boss battles felt fair and enjoyable (not something I enjoyed about Y5's last boss). I honestly used more health drinks getting past the endless stunlock shenanigans of the gunners and their friends on the boat than I did on all of the final bosses combined. Also, it feels very weird not to end events on the top of Millennium Tower, for obvious reasons.

I'll still load up the game to finish off a few outstanding tasks (I've still yet to actually fight Mr. Shakedown, and there's a few substories to polish off), but beyond that I'm clear to move onto a new game... and also wait patiently for Kiwami later in the year. It'll be nice to finally play the first Yakuza game.

Re: surprisingly successful low-tier hostesses. One of the starter bronze hostesses (Namiko?) was a perennial top earner for me because she was my go-to for sexy party hostess requests.

Yeah, I think Namiko might be my lvl 20. There's a couple Bronze hostesses who punch way above their weight, they deserve a ranking upgrade. But I guess that's based on their base attributes.

thing Platinum have over the rest is that there are clients who specifically ask for them and those rake in good cash.

Huh, I've never had a customer request a specific hostess. Good to know!

Sidequest help:
How the hell do you beat the sidequest where you help the guy cross the bridge with all those people trying to kick his ass?

Yeah, I think Namiko might be my lvl 20. There's a couple Bronze hostesses who punch way above their weight, they deserve a ranking upgrade. But I guess that's based on their base attributes.

I get why it's not possible given how the cabaret club stuff is designed, but I wish you could upgrade all the hostesses to platinum over time, if only so I could put Dolly and the Obatarian in clothes that don't seem totally ridiculous. Though I guess that's also part of the charm, having Etsuko in her loud-as-fuck granny sweater.

ChanMan

I gotta to say I am kind of disappointed with the combat so far and I am only in Chapter 4. I knew this would be similar to the previous Yakuza games I played (1-4) but this is almost like a carbon copy for me even with the style changes. I feel like first part when
Kiryu asks to be expelled from the clan
was pretty great and had me pumped but after that the game kind of lets its foot off the gas. You guys will have to excuse me though as I am sure the game picks up after this and I also just jumped straight to this after playing Nioh so there is that. I honestly just expected the gameplay to be much more improved than this.

Zocano

I was originally kinda eh on the turn but I think with more thought on it and refamiliarizing myself with how Majima acts in the future games (replayed through 3 and rewatched 4) and I am happier with the reasonings.

I still think it's a bit on the sudden side and I woulda liked to see some anime ass
cut off his ponytail and go mad dog
cause it's just a hair too last minute for me but otherwise I still think this is the best all around story they've done (that I have played).

1 and 2 are still on the todo list but I can at least check 1 off with Kiwami.

Sidequest help:
How the hell do you beat the sidequest where you help the guy cross the bridge with all those people trying to kick his ass?
If you're talking about the side-quest with Goro Majima, I'd recommend just
spamming the spinning break-dance kick in his Breaker style. It offers pretty decent crowd control when you stick close to the NPC and I don't believe you even need to defeat the enemies to beat the sub-mission.

Sidequest help:

Just get a shotgun. Very quick and easy work. Even on Legend difficulty.

If you're talking about the side-quest with Goro Majima, I'd recommend just
spamming the spinning break-dance kick in his Breaker style. It offers pretty decent crowd control when you stick close to the NPC and I don't believe you even need to defeat the enemies to beat the sub-mission.

I beat that quest by knocking everyone down with the bat.

I get why it's not possible given how the cabaret club stuff is designed, but I wish you could upgrade all the hostesses to platinum over time

Yeah agreed, or at least get them to Gold status. Although that could easily turn into a slog for completionists.

What could be really cool is being able to recruit any woman (or man, hey why not) you see in the game, even sidequests. Hostesses would have an additional Loyalty component, and hostesses that feel short-changed could quit over time, thus needing new people to fill your staff. There should also be conflicts between hostesses you'd have to work out (or not). It'd also be cool to have more control over the aesthetics -- decor, music, drinks. They could make mega-bucks if they made a mobile game based on this.

belinho

Yeah agreed, or at least get them to Gold status. Although that could easily turn into a slog for completionists.

What could be really cool is being able to recruit any woman (or man, hey why not) you see in the game, even sidequests. Hostesses would have an additional Loyalty component, and hostesses that feel short-changed could quit over time, thus needing new people to fill your staff. There should also be conflicts between hostesses you'd have to work out (or not). It'd also be cool to have more control over the aesthetics -- decor, music, drinks. They could make mega-bucks if they made a mobile game based on this.

Man, I was just thinking of something along those lines. I really like this mini game they got, and was thinking to myself that probably I won't ever see something like this (to be honest i don't really know if there's something like it), but i really enjoyed it, unlike the Kiryu real estate game. What a slog, watching meters go up, and wait.

KRaZyAmmo

I can't play outrun for some reason. I try and my car just stays there. I am holding down acceleration too and leaving it on hi gear.

Okay, why the Media King fight is so hard? Genuinely the only enemy that I have a problem beating. Even the finale
Finance King
fight is order of magnitudes easier than Media King battle...

I think someone mention this a few dozen page ago, but at what chapter did the story escalates and I need to set aside a few hours?

xezuru

Anyone have that shogi cheese/any good mahjong sources? Literally cleared out everything but the asian gambling games

Okay, why the Media King fight is so hard? Genuinely the only enemy that I have a problem beating. Even the finale
Finance King
fight is order of magnitudes easier than Media King battle...

I think someone mention this a few dozen page ago, but at what chapter did the story escalates and I need to set aside a few hours?

The Media King sics his goons on you, who are fairly strong themselves, while Finance King is one-on-one. That's why I thought he was harder as well.

The finale, the game outright tells you that you'll be crossing a point of no return.

I can't play outrun for some reason. I try and my car just stays there. I am holding down acceleration too and leaving it on hi gear.
Hmmmm, that's weird. Sure you've put a coin inside the machine? Sorry if that's not being helpful. I haven't came across this problem before so I can't think of anything else atm.

SephLuis

You have to start the car on low gear and, when the speed caps, change it to high gear.

You also have to insert credit, then you chose a song and then you get to start playing

Reule

Is there a plan of attack here if I want my platinum screenshot? Should I run Legend before finishing up 100% Completion on my Hard save? Since they decided to disable capture for the last chapter. Do I miss out on anything that way?

SxP

Regarding Cabaret Czar, Mr. Libido sometimes recommends good looking girls when you speak with him, is that just for fun or can I actually recruit those girls by doing something specific?

Regarding Cabaret Czar, Mr. Libido sometimes recommends good looking girls when you speak with him, is that just for fun or can I actually recruit those girls by doing something specific?

The girls Mr.Libido (both Kiryu's and Majima's) recommends are for the Gravure (sexy video) collection game. If he's trying to point you towards a lady at a specific venue or at a specific substory, then she has a sexy video but it's not necessary that she's a part of the business or the story. Like the girl that's in charge of Pool at Club Vincent in Kamorucho has no substory, main story or business relevance but she still has a sexy video. If she's a lady at a particular enemy club then yes, she is a platinum hostess that you get when you beat them.

Most of the Gold girls are tied behind substories or friendship gauges that need to be filled (like
the little girl outside the arcade friendship
) and they then show up in the alley to the right of the club, in between the club and the CP shrine. There are also some Silver and Bronze hostesses just standing around the map, (usually near the edges of the map) and you can talk to them.

Alastor3

So, as much as I liked the Real Estate, I stopped doing it at the third sector which is a shame because it would have unlock me the third fighting still lock.

I just thought that at 60 hours, I just really needed to finish the story. So last night I went to chapter 7 through 10 and it was nice, and now im gonna finish it. I really need to get back on my backlog.

GeeTeeCee

where do you buy the shotgun again? actually where do i buy a 9mm for the sidequest.

beating the game, i never brought a weapon. =)

I think you should be able to purchase both from the Dragon & Tiger "restaurant?" Not sure if you need the recipes from a weapons search first though.

Linkura

Got the Miracle Johnson hit song "I'm Gonna Make Her Mind" in my head this morning for no real reason... beat the game a while ago. As a disco fan, some of the disco music was pretty good.

NEO0MJ

Damn it, I've been sitting in Chapter 10 for almost a week, just doing side quests. I have to finish this before playing Zelda, though.

Help!

GeeTeeCee

Got the Miracle Johnson hit song "I'm Gonna Make Her Mind" in my head this morning for no real reason... beat the game a while ago. As a disco fan, some of the disco music was pretty good.

I got the same song stuck in my head, and it actually ended up making me like the disco minigame (I didn't enjoy it previously).

Thanks Michael Miracle.

Damn it, I've been sitting in Chapter 10 for almost a week, just doing side quests. I have to finish this before playing Zelda, though.

Help!

You can just power through the main story at this point. You can leave the substories and the business and minigames for Premium Adventure mode.

NEO0MJ

You can just power through the main story at this point. You can leave the substories and the business and minigames for Premium Adventure mode.

I know that, but I can't stop myself! I need to see where the real estate quest is going. Every time I say to myself "OK, I'll stop after beating the boss of this area" and then just keep going at it!

Vexii

Waiting for Yakuza Kiwami to release in the West like
ughMbFe.jpg

Edit: my girlfriend bought all this rice just to make this joke to me. She's amazing.

pbayne

Finally beat chapter 8. Took me way, way too long to do all the cabaret stuff.
Lol its weird going now from a fully upgraded Majima to a has barely anything Kiriyu.

LOLCats

Banned
I'm in chapter 11, how come I can only do makeover on one of my girls in the cabaret club, the main starting hostess, is makeover limited to her? or does makeover unlock for each girl as they level up?

Edit: i think you can only makeover platinum hostesses...

I'm in chapter 11, how come I can only do makeover on one of my girls in the cabaret club, the main starting hostess, is makeover limited to her? or does makeover unlock for each girl as they level up?

Edit: i think you can only makeover platinum hostesses...

Majima's not wasting money on anyone outside of his A-team lol

peaceland

Banned
Finally finished, 91 hours, 67.7 completion. Definitely my favorite in the series, gonna be hard for any game to beat this as my GOTY.

Top Bottom