• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

exfatal

My fucking god the random encounters in these are infurating like they just gang up on u and just chain u to death. whats the point blocking if they never stop attacking. Kiryu is a pain to use. Am i doing something wrong like damn even had to turn it to easy...

My fucking god the random encounters in these are infurating like they just gang up on u and just chain u to death. whats the point blocking if they never stop attacking. Kiryu is a pain to use. Am i doing something wrong like damn even had to turn it to easy...

Try unequipping the charismatic autobiography. Will change your world.

I got you, GAF.

PS

The Charismatic Autobiography returns in Kiwami as the Charismatic Photo. Stay vigilant. Stay strong.

I got you, GAF.

PS

The Charismatic Autobiography returns in Kiwami as the Charismatic Photo. Stay vigilant. Stay strong.

LOL

If we don't make it to OT2 for the Charismatic Autobiography warning, then there should be one for the Kiwami equivalent.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Don't block, kite instead and yes stunlocks and stagger have always been very bullshit in yakuza.
As you gain more combat options you can gain limited immunity under heat or attacks that just stagger/stun/floor them instead or just grow so strong you one shot everything.
It basically becomes easier to be the one that stays on the aggressive .

Against boss enemies that are pure bs you just tank on heat/heal items and infinite combo(Kiryuu back attack and grab throw was basically how I defeated Amon again) them or infinite heat action them.

Yakuza sadly doesn't seem to make a lot of strides within the series to improve on it's encounters. I actually enjoy Yakuza the most being overpowered and destroying people in very entertaining ways. When Yakuza tries to be difficult/challenging most of the time it's actually just plain annoying or awful.
And I don't think that's me needing to "git gud" after all I made it through all souls titles + nioh and enjoyed the heck out of it, I'm pretty sure it's fair to say that Yakuza is pretty garbage at difficulty design most of the time.

exfatal

I got you, GAF.

PS

oh shit.. i didnt even know i had this thing equipped,... trying it now.

Edit: oh shit man its like night and day, at first i was up against like 5 men in black all holding swords or some shit. i thought it was just a difficulty spike cause i was in chapter 7+ but it was only kiyru getting his ass handed to him. My god and it was like every 5 secs too someone would want to fight me and always soo much of them.. couldn't even think about using my brute style. What the hell is that BOOK?!

I was legit getting pissed at this game that i started off loving.. good thing i went to GAF thank you.

exfatal

Don't block, kite instead and yes stunlocks and stagger have always been very bullshit in yakuza.
As you gain more combat options you can gain limited immunity under heat or attacks that just stagger/stun/floor them instead or just grow so strong you one shot everything.
It basically becomes easier to be the one that stays on the aggressive .

Against boss enemies that are pure bs you just tank on heat/heal items and infinite combo(Kiryuu back attack and grab throw was basically how I defeated Amon again) them or infinite heat action them.

Yakuza sadly doesn't seem to make a lot of strides within the series to improve on it's encounters. I actually enjoy Yakuza the most being overpowered and destroying people in very entertaining ways. When Yakuza tries to be difficult/challenging most of the time it's actually just plain annoying or awful.
And I don't think that's me needing to "git gud" after all I made it through all souls titles + nioh and enjoyed the heck out of it, I'm pretty sure it's fair to say that Yakuza is pretty garbage at difficulty design most of the time

agreed even though its my first yakuza game. I really love it and enjoy playing through it, but not for its challenge. This game can be straight infuriating with its cheezy A.I i much rather just run around town beating people senseless, i don't mind a bit of challenge like where i cant ignore people with weapons and boss fights and such. But when it starts getting to the point where i have to actively avoid encounters cause its just too much effort that's where it becomes a problem. Thankful i unequipped that god damn evil book and things seems to have gotten alot better. hell i feel like its a bit easier now since i've been playing with that book for so long i feel.

Rymuth

Finished. This is me right now:

raw

raw

raw

SkylineRKR

What I don't like about the Yakuza combat are the knockdowns, which are slow ass like in many J games. And the fact your back can be completely exposed/stunlocked for ages. The more annoying enemies will constantly telegraph and backstab fish you, or use their super armor counters (which you can also perform though).

I would've liked it if the combat had some sort of auto lock with a faster strafing speed. I think I prefer the combat in Shenmue, esp. the 1 v 1's.

xezuru

I'm 99.5% on legendary completion with only mahjong left and I've never seen the dreaded book, always assumed it just did the same thing as champions ring but the frequency this book appears in the thread is silly.

SephLuis

What I don't like about the Yakuza combat are the knockdowns, which are slow ass like in many J games. And the fact your back can be completely exposed/stunlocked for ages. The more annoying enemies will constantly telegraph and backstab fish you, or use their super armor counters (which you can also perform though).

I would've liked it if the combat had some sort of auto lock with a faster strafing speed. I think I prefer the combat in Shenmue, esp. the 1 v 1's.

Just to confirm, do you have charismatic autobiography equipped ?

You might want to take it off if you do.

I don't know, after upgrading Kiryu's Rush style a fair bit, he feels pretty damn fast. Quickstepping around he feels more like a ninja than a yakuza.

But I agree with you about the stunlocking. I also wish R1 made you instantly turn around to face the closest foe.

Rymuth

okay, I've calmed down. Let me gather my thoughts

- It's only after he said he'll get the Empty Lot that it dawned on me that Sera is the 3rd Chairman. In my defense, his only role in Yakuza 1 was getting murdered so he didn't register that much

- Shimano correctly predicts the fall of Kazama and Sera and sets up the hook for Yakuza 2. Since I love that game, those callbacks were far more delicious to me than Y1's story hooks.

- In what universe did Sagawa and Majima build a friendship based on shared tribulations? Sagawa has been a total prick, getting up Majima's ass and disappeared during the assault on the Consortium. I refuse to believe he and Majima could reminisce about the good times. No, FUCK NO!

- Makoto, ffs~ how many one-eyed gangsters are gonna come to your rescue? Put two and two together, girl~

- Kiryu tells Nishiki that he owes him a huge debt. Considering how stupid I thought Kiryu was wasting 10 years for Nishiki, this puts things in a whole different light. Nishiki came to Kiryu's aid several times in this game---it totally checks out that he would gladly eat the charges

- "Kiryuuuu-chaaaaaaan" - you stay golden, Majima. ;_;

DC1

- It's only after he said he'll get the Empty Lot that it dawned on me that Sera is the 3rd Chairman. In my defense, his only role in Yakuza 1 was getting murdered so he didn't register that much

- Shimano correctly predicts the fall of Kazama and Sera and sets up the hook for Yakuza 2. Since I love that game, those callbacks were far more delicious to me than Y1's story hooks.

- In what universe did Sagawa and Majima build a friendship based on shared tribulations? Sagawa has been a total prick, getting up Majima's ass and disappeared during the assault on the Consortium. I refuse to believe he and Majima could reminisce about the good times. No, FUCK NO!

- Makoto, ffs~ how many one-eyed gangsters are gonna come to your rescue? Put two and two together, girl~

- Kiryu tells Nishiki that he owes him a huge debt. Considering how stupid I thought Kiryu was wasting 10 years for Nishiki, this puts things in a whole different light. Nishiki came to Kiryu's aid several times in this game---it totally checks out that he would gladly eat the charges

- "Kiryuuuu-chaaaaaaan" - you stay golden, Majima. ;_;

With respect to Sagawa. I Honestly believe that, while Majima retrospectively respected the position that Sagawa was in considering all events that went down, he (Majima) was also in a state of not giving a flying Fu#k and charting a new path by allowing the past to close nice and neat.

Lastly, Y0 really helped me reconcile Kiryu's child like trust grant with respect to Nishiki in Y1. Like your conclusion, Kiryu believes that he owes his like to Nishiki, 3 times over.

Agree on all other points as well.

SkylineRKR

That Makoto part was dumb, but

It was quite some time later. She had a very bad sight, and Majima made sure his name wasn't spoken and he shut the fuck up the whole time. His face probably had a different shape due to his new haircut. I doubt if she could see his eyepatch. I think only at one point in the story she could see decent enough for a brief time. As I said its dumb but... yeah.

What build for the champions circuit in pocket racers? Cant beat it for the life of me.

Thats the easiest.

Win Drag-On from the girl, against me she she was total shit and went out of bounds and I lapped her 5 times lol.

Use this on Drag On for Champions:

Super Low Profile Tires
Super Metal Frame
High Torque Motor 2.0
Godspeed Gears Plus
Regular Battery
Medium Suspension
Bumper Plate (Optional)

High torque 2.0 you can buy from the illegal vendor after a sidequest. Rest is from the circuit shop itself.

Hold right on the stick. Don't even need to boost. Beat it 3 times this way.

SkylineRKR

Crap messed up lol.

Meant the King of Speed Cup race.

We're in the same boat then, lol.

I think you need RNG items here.

Cool Striker

Ultra Slim Tires
Ultra Metal Frame
Godspeed Motor Mark II
Super Boost Gears
High Capacity Battery
Heavy Suspension
Bumper Plate

I don't have Mk II and I don't think the shop sells it? Don't have CS either but can probably activate that sidequest.

Bruh I wish you left out spoilers outside of Yakuza 0...it's not entirely your fault though. it's still behind spoiler tags.

I agree. I was annoyed as the character Majima was being Sagawa's bitch, I was expecting a boss battle so I could finally fuck his face!

yep, this was a complaint that I had after beating the game too.

interesting. I knew Kiryu
goes to jail for 10 years
but I didn't know it was for Nishiki.
- "Kiryuuuu-chaaaaaaan" - you stay golden, Majima. ;_;[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]is that it??? like, unless it was just fan service how the fuck did he
just know it was kiryu??

Calabi

I hate Maijima. What a cunting idiot.
I wont bother to get her to a hospital I'll just watch her die, oh where are they taking her, the morgue, what a fucking idiot.

I'm kind of getting into the story like no other game.

DC1

I hate Maijima. What a cunting idiot.
I wont bother to get her to a hospital I'll just watch her die, oh where are they taking her, the morgue, what a fucking idiot.

I'm kind of getting into the story like no other game.
Enjoy it Calabi. Enjoy the depth of bromance and airtight manhood!!

xezuru

I'm glad my infinite mahjong hell posts got me into top 15 kuze'rs
Speaking of, I held myself back from making the same mistake and declaring Kan quad... and boom.
Just 5000000 mangan's and a couple bucks left till platinum baby.

DC1

I'm glad my infinite mahjong hell posts got me into top 15 kuze'rs
Speaking of, I held myself back from making the same mistake and declaring Kan quad... and boom.

Just 5000000 mangan's and a couple bucks left till platinum baby.
You'll have it tonight.
Wear good gear and accessories and trust the hand you're delt.

Hold any seat/round winds or dragons (if you get two of the above on the drop feel free to call Pon or Chi on anything you like. The third seat/round winds or dragons will drop more often than not, setting you up for a quick and dirty Ron.

Or..

Keep doing what you're doing. Make sure you post when you hit the Platinum so folks can celebrate with you.

belinho

My God, Yakuza. What a ride.

To think that I only "reluctantly" started about 1.5 years ago with Yakuza 4, and since then played all the mainline games, Ishin with the guide (a big shout out to KHH) and Kenzan completely "blind".

I kinda understand why its so hard starting to play a Yakuza game (especially before 0) because before i did, just watching YT videos didn't do it justice. Stiff animations, no dub (for me this is no problem at all, but i guess USA really likes stuff spoken in English), repetitive gameplay...

But these games offer so much more, So much heart, so much soul, really griping storylines... I can't even put in words how I feel about the highs of the series.

Hopefully, with the recent word of mouth (and good sales, i hope) the games can start coming overseas at the same time they lauch in Japan. The fact that we (especially the long time fans, what a great bunch you all are) were "lucky" to even get Y5... and three years later, for that matter...

Anyways, just wanted to thank all the people that asked Sony to bring this, people who built the list, people who fought so hard so that Sega wouldn't forget us. Thank you

And for people still on the fence, please just try the game. Yakuza 0 its a great entry point. Even if you hate to read, it will be worth it. There's so much stuff to do, I assure you you will like at least a couple of them.

Peace

Beat this last weekend. Ended up putting over 70 hours into it before I finally wrapped up the mainline story. Had a blast. The difference in quality between this and 5 is so stark to me. Whereas 5 was a slog that I was trying to plow through quickly, I enjoyed the humor and tone of the side missions so much with this that I took my time.

I feel like the aspect of this game that I most ignored was the item hunts. Never felt any need for them in an already super dense game.

Well I ended up buying this game from the Target sale since they didn't have Zelda online. Never bought a Yakuza game in the first, hopefully it lives up to the hype! I think I might actually use the business card holder... but I'm afraid I'll lose it.

Well I ended up buying this game from the Target sale since they didn't have Zelda online. Never bought a Yakuza game in the first, hopefully it lives up to the hype! I think I might actually use the business card holder... but I'm afraid I'll lose it.

I'm totally going to use it once I get business cards.

xezuru

If all I have in mangans in my CP list, generally should I refrain from stealing and having an open hand unless there's a huge exception?

Rymuth

If all I have in mangans in my CP list, generally should I refrain from stealing and having an open hand unless there's a huge exception?
Open hands are worth a lot less than closed hands but yes there are exceptions.

Imagine if you had two pairs of every dragon or two pairs of every wind at the start of the round. If that were to happen to me, I'd Pon/Pung like crazy.

I finished Ch. 14. I ended that fight with
Kuze with that the heat action where I blocked him from hitting Nishiki and then we punched him together. I don't know if that was scripted, but it was a damn fine way to end it. And then the emotional gut punch.

Started Ch. 15. "I'll be your huckleberry." :O
No don't do it Majima!
That's enough for tonight.

I'm realizing now that I'm getting nearer to the end that I slacked on unlocking fighting skills compared to the other side content. I don't have either 4th style unlocked, and many of the styles have lots of blocks still. Kind of sucks because I'll have little use for that in Adventure mode, but oh well.

Hell yeah, finished all dance games with 3 stars. Wasn't easy, but interestingly, I found the normal difficulty harder than the hard difficulty. Is there another mini game as mechanically challenging as this or more challenging? I'm aiming for 100% and I wonder if it gets easier from here (in terms of mechanical skills required, I'm okay with grinding that yields results eventually).

Y0 is my first Yakuza and it's fucking A class.

9NHJtuGha.gif

hope to see everyone back around for kiwami this summer!

I'm contemplating booting Ishin again and fooling around, slicing people up, upgrade the sphere grids, forging better swords and clearing the card dungeons...

Just because I want more Yakuza.

Of course I'll be there for Kiwami this summer.

Rymuth

I'm contemplating booting Ishin again and fooling around, slicing people up, upgrade the sphere grids, forging better swords and clearing the card dungeons...

Just because I want more Yakuza.

Of course I'll be there for Kiwami this summer.
Is there a script translation for Ishin anywhere?

Iokis

I finished the story last Thursday. The final fight could have been a little more but the hype leading up to it and the hype in the final sequence in general was stellar. Lovely final cutscene, too.

So my plan was to leave Yakuza 0 for a while to play BotW but... Well I tend to fatigue on open world games, so while I am enjoying BotW I take "breaks" from it by crawling back to Yakuza 0. :p

I wrote about a billion pages ago that I doubted I'd have time to 100% the game, but here I am trying to 100% the game, so.. 95% and counting!

Made my first foray into Mahjong last night after studying the rules at work. In about three games I got Riichi Ippatsu, which judging by the posts preceding this one makes me a lucky bugger. Still need the dreaded Full Straight though and just to generally get better at Mahjong (I'm so bad!)

Other 100% stumbling blocks:

I'm really terrible at the batting center. I have so far made exactly 0 yen. I watched plenty of youtubes, I know about the fact that Kiryu's pose tenses as a signal to press X (rather than watching the ball itself) but I just can't do it. Plus the long wait where you watch Kiryu shake his head, then the "profit" screen, then loading the batting centre, then re-entering the batting game, then the start of game cutscene... Urgh, I really wish the minigames had a quick retry command in this game.

Also I'm missing the damned Ghost Koi... Any tips for that? I know top-tier bait is recommended, but is it possible (albeit grindy) to catch it with Quality Bait? I'd rather grind fishing attempts than wander around Dream Machines for hours on end...

Is there a script translation for Ishin anywhere?

When I played it, there was no cutscene transcript like I used for Kenzan, but there I used a guide helping for all side quests, forging, mini games, all systems basically, every side activity and translating the events of the main story :

http://www.khhsubs.com/projectsrggishin.html

They also have Kenzan guide.

Thanks to this site, I could put 80 hours into Ishin and it was amazing.

Top Bottom