• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

aravuus

Just realized I played the game for almost 6 hours yesterday and didn't proceed with the main quest practically at all. All I did was go bowling (got the 3 consecutive strikes on second try with the technique from the youtube video from earlier btw, thanks for that), race in the pocket circuit tournaments and go around buying properties.

The real estate stuff is insanely addictive, don't even really know why lmao. I recall someone saying you're able to move money between the two protagonists at some point, is this true? If so, when? I want Majima to be able to enjoy Kiryu's massive wealth too.

Past

Is it just me or are Majima's styles weaker than Kiryu's

Chapter 4 spoilers

Makoto is too precious for this world

It's just you. Breaker style is OP as heck. I have no idea why it does so much damage. You can beat up a group of 4-5 enemies in less than 10 seconds.

xezuru

Just realized I played the game for almost 6 hours yesterday and didn't proceed with the main quest practically at all. All I did was go bowling (got the 3 consecutive strikes on second try with the technique from the youtube video from earlier btw, thanks for that), race in the pocket circuit tournaments and go around buying properties.

The real estate stuff is insanely addictive, don't even really know why lmao. I recall someone saying you're able to move money between the two protagonists at some point, is this true? If so, when? I want Majima to be able to enjoy Kiryu's massive wealth too.

You're able to transfer money when you gain the mechanic to distract enemies to prevent random battles. You'll after be able to find that NPC for Kiryu in
Vincent
and for Majima by
the Grand

Well, finally finished the story. 93 hours, only about 40% completion.

Honestly I was expecting a bit more drama and pathos at the end considering what you guys were saying. I thought it was a good wrap-up, and the final fights were pretty epic, but it wasn't as emotional for me as some of the earlier events. I guess considering the characters already exist in later titles, they were a bit hampered by what they could do.

Majima is an idiot though. He's clearly in love with Makoto, yet instead he joins up with the yakuza and leaves her behind. I really liked Sagawa's ending scene with him though. What a great character.

Actually Kiryu is an idiot too. Joining up with the Dojima family after all that shit? If you're going to join the yakuza again, at least join with the Consortium or something instead of having a shitty boss like Dojima who killed friends of his. Maybe Kazama ordered him to do that?

Okay, here's something I never understood about Oda. So he sells out Tachibana, but at the same time is in bro-love with him? Why did he do that? I don't get his motivations at all.

Overall though, one of the best stories and best characters I've seen in a videogame. A hell of a ride.

Im at the last chapter and seriously guys, why the hell would you tell someone to start on Hard difficulty??? I just cannot kill
the chinese assassin, he have just too much health, I have a few weapon and upgraded my skills at mid tier but for the love of god, he is just too difficult..... i just can't complete the game............

I mostly used
the Slugger style as it helps defend against his knives. The nunchaku hits (triangle after square) are pretty effective against him. Also, have plenty of Stamina Royales on hand.

Nightz

Just beat the story. What a ride. After all of that, one thing bugs me:
Where can I get a tearaway jacket like all of them have?

DC1

All right I didn't save and now I can't for the life of me keep that
Michael Jackson guy
in the substory alive. I can't do it. It's 1:30am and I've been stuck for 30 minutes straight and I gotta wake up in 6:30h lol.

I'm using the brawler style btw.
Any shotguns or or knives with heat boosting juice on you? Do you have beast mode unlocked? Either way, you should be able to knock it out this evening after some rest.

DC1

Need to get an elaborate tattoo covering the majority of your back. In my experience, damn near everyone meeting that single condition can tearaway three piece suits with perfect execution.

Cloukyo

Banned

It's literally the most badass thing ever, I don't think any real human alive can pull it off.

You need slow motion to pull it off too.

DC1

I feel the same. But then again, my Kiryu has invested billions into himself and trained with all the masters.
There is a combo under the breaker style that is the absolute most devastating move in the game. If unlocked, it's roughly 5 X and then continuous triangle. Right after Majima does the leg sweep he will flow into a windmill (not the cartwheel) that mops the floor of everything, even the Shakedown guys.

WetWaffle

So this finally came in the mail, I'm thinking of putting Horizon on hold while I play this. Could someone tell me what is the length of time expected to finish the game, and just anything you feel I should know?

So this finally came in the mail, I'm thinking of putting Horizon on hold while I play this. Could someone tell me what is the length of time expected to finish the game, and just anything you feel I should know?

How much of a completionist are you? The game will take you somewhere between 40 hours and forever to finish.

Game can range from around 30 hours to 100 hours or even more depending on how much of the side content you go for.

There's an item called the "Charismatic Autobiography". Do not equip the Charismatic Autobiography.

When you have a weapon equipped in your inventory, press down on the d-pad during combat to whip it out.

EDIT: Also know that you can change the difficulty at any point and it won't affect any trophy or Completion List progress.

NEO0MJ

Like others said, that all depends on how much you can resist the side quests.

Between 30 - 100 hours, depending on how much sidestuff you do. (And almost every side activity has it's own little story and characters so it doesn't feel like just filler material.)

You might get an equippable item called Charismatic Biography from an early sidequest. It's description is vague, but it basically puts the game in super special extreme hard mode if you wear it, so beware.

No sidequest is missable. Sometimes the game asks you if you really want to proceed as you might not get back for a while, but really, it's never for long and there's no real point of no return. Even at the end, because you can still do all the side-stuff free of any responsibilities once you've finished the story. So don't try to do it all at once, pace yourself.

Yeah breaker is great for crowds but I feel like Kiryu's rush is way better for bosses. Anyway chapter 6 spoilers

So any reason why Awano just shot the girl? I get that they wanted to make him a dickhead but just killing some random civilian is ehhh. Also, the music during the ending cutscene was great. Sad to see what Nishikiyama turns into in Yakuza 1 after seeing him as a bro here

Yeah breaker is great for crowds but I feel like Kiryu's rush is way better for bosses. Anyway chapter 6 spoilers

So any reason why Awano just shot the girl? I get that they wanted to make him a dickhead but just killing some random civilian is ehhh. Also, the music during the ending cutscene was great. Sad to see what Nishikiyama turns into in Yakuza 1 after seeing him as a bro here

Awano had a gun. Whenever guns are involved in cutscenes, everyone and everything in this game (In this series, really.) gets really dumb. That is likely why he shot the random girl.

wedca

Beast has the best conditional damage output by a huge margin, when motorcycles or mopeds are available Kiryu can obliterate Mr. Shakedown in like five seconds, but Slugger is my all around favorite style since it has great single target damage and good crowd control as nearly all enemies don't have a good approach to dealing with the bat-nunchuck move and the multiple hits from it fill up the heat gauge really fast.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Climax Max Battle Proving Grounds 8 has to be some of the most infuriating designed garbage I have seen in a long time. Jesus.... what the hell. Like all the stuff you need to do the enemies won't allow it. And then there is the fact that this shit is so rng based on what styles you receive.
I had rounds where I got thug style only twice but slugger style the worst one int he challenge because your bat ricochets of off walls(which is a thing I didn't even know before the challenge). 8 times.

Goddammit need a break but whoever designed this really should be ashamed of themselves I wouldn't even consider I wanne be the guy this cheap.

The people that are responsible for the climax battles ban them from designing anything yakuza again.
Probably the same geniuses that never heard about fast retry and proper fast forward and skip options(like a good chunk of cutscenes are just unskippable)

Honestly Climax Battle seem to be designed to annoy players no fun allowed. Let's roll all the worst elements of Yakuza into one mode....

I just finished the game last night at about 93 hours, and still have a ton of side content left (which you can continue post-game in a new free-roam mode).

My opinion is, Yakuza 0 is not a game you want to just rush through. You can, although even if you just stick to the story it's still about 40 hours. But I don't recommend it. Taking the time to stroll around the city, drop in to an arcade or a karaoke club, manage a business, help someone out in a sidestory, or just busting the heads of some punks really creates a special experience that fleshes out the world that surrounds the amazing story of the main narrative.

aravuus

One more area left on my journey to be the Property King of Kamurocho! Oh yeah, let the money flow in. I can soon buy all upgrades for both protagonists, aside from the ones that are still locked.

And afaik, I think I gotta do that dodging thing to unlock some of them? That's a hard pass for me, got frustrated of it back when the game came out.

pbayne

Done and dusted. That was certainly an ending alright.

After the lackluster story of 5, I think Zero served as a nice striped back and more focused plot. Plus it really helps that the side-stories and their dialogue especially were absolute diamonds this time around. I think overall i enjoyed Majimas side way more, mainly because i just loved Sagawa as a foil to Majima. Probably the only downside was the tedium of the business management. It really should have been cut down a bit or it shouldn't have been more or less the only reliable way to get money to get most of the upgrades in the game.

Overall an early GOTY contender no doubt. Now to wait patiently for Kiwami.

aravuus

Yooo, the
ultimate stance
you unlock for Kiryu for doing the real estate quest is something else! Do you get a similar reward for Majima's cabaret stuff? This real estate took long enough, I was planning on skipping the cabaret stuff, but if you do get something similar... Oh yeah, I gotta do it.

e: also, in the CP rewards there's
a Limit Breaker or something that unlocks stuff for a certain stance - does it mean the ultimate stance?

IrishNinja

e: also, in the CP rewards there's
a Limit Breaker or something that unlocks stuff for a certain stance - does it mean the ultimate stance?

it does indeed! and if you stick with the series, you'll see more of that stance!

Getting the most steps out of the disco game throws me off so much. and I'm terrible at it.

me too, i'm usually not bad at rhythm games but some of these songs i just can't do worth a crap, haha

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
When you die at the fourth boss in fantasy zone 5k points short of the 100k needed for the cp goal which was probably just killing a single part of the thing.
Feelsbadman. This plat is truly brutal. The last few things are really rough batting, fantasy zone and the climax battles.
Legend playthrough is probably going to be a cake honestly compared to the other shit.

Chapter 7 spoilers

I'm guessing that the guy that killed Makoto's double is the guy with the bat tattoo. His hair looks like the outline they showed earlier

One more area left on my journey to be the Property King of Kamurocho! Oh yeah, let the money flow in. I can soon buy all upgrades for both protagonists, aside from the ones that are still locked.

And afaik, I think I gotta do that dodging thing to unlock some of them? That's a hard pass for me, got frustrated of it back when the game came out.

You mean Kamoji's training? No.

Quick question if someone can spoiler tag, is Yakuza 6 really the ending of Kiryu's story?

No need for spoiler tags, the official Japanese site outright has "The final chapter of Kiryu's story" in huge fonts on the main page.

Awano wanted to intimidate Kiryu by showing him that he was serious about killing him if necessary. It's just that Kiryu's sheer stupidity ends up letting him calling out Awano's bluff.

Quick question if someone can spoiler tag, is Yakuza 6 really the ending of Kiryu's story?

It's the final chapter of Kiryu's story, as in he's 100% not gonna be playable in any future Yakuza game (unless it's a remake of Y2 which I hope happens).

Doesn't necessarily mean that he dies or that he might not show up again, but I also haven't played the game so I don't know.

Rymuth

Started a second playthrough with my sister. We discovered Yakuza 1 together and finished it on the PS2, so it's only appropriate that our reunion has us playing Kazuma Kiryu's origin.

It's the final chapter of Kiryu's story, as in he's 100% not gonna be playable in any future Yakuza game (unless it's a remake of Y2 which I hope happens).

Doesn't necessarily mean that he dies or that he might not show up again, but I also haven't played the game so I don't know.

Even though I've only played Y0, honestly I'll be glad to have a new protagonist. Not that I don't like Kiryu, but his character modeling (and to a lesser extent, Majima also) was taking me out of the drama and suspension of disbelief a bit during the cutscenes. The other big characters are based on real people and look fantastic, but Kiryu looks like he escaped from a Dreamcast game. I don't blame the dev team; they've been saddled with a character who was originally designed during the PS2 era. But it will be so nice to see a protagonist that looks as convincingly real as everyone else.

While on the subject of cutscenes, I'll say that one of the few things I didn't like about Yakuza was the QTEs during cutscenes where you knew shit was about to go down. I knew I had to be ready to bust out some button presses in a moment and couldn't relax. Even more so during combat cutscenes... the normal satisfaction and reward from getting to that next stage of a boss was lessened because I was paying more attention for button prompts than I was at the cool choreography.

Big, enormous spoilers for Yakuza 6's ending:

They could totally use him again. Especially with that final boss which will certainly be one of the biggest complaints about the game when its released in English next year, it just doesn't sit right as a perfect send off for the character, I loved the story but bar the final scene in the ending it doesn't really feel like a suitable finale for the series. I really wouldn't be surprised if he's back by Yakuza 10 if the series gets that far for one last hurrah.

While on the subject of cutscenes, I'll say that one of the few things I didn't like about Yakuza was the QTEs during cutscenes where you knew shit was about to go down. I knew I had to be ready to bust out some button presses in a moment and couldn't relax. Even more so during combat cutscenes... the normal satisfaction and reward from getting to that next stage of a boss was lessened because I was paying more attention for button prompts than I was at the cool choreography.

I personally love the QTE's in the series (normally I'm not a fan of them bar in this and Shenmue) but Yakuza 5 had one that was just a complete pain
Right at the end of Shinada's chapter he's having a baseball "rematch" against Sawada and out of nowhere a QTE prompt appears for you to hit Sawada's pitch - and that took me by surprise and had me fail that scene so that I had to replay it! Thought it was a fairly naughty thing to do as I had 0 idea that it was coming, its not as if I was in the middle of a battle or anything

Even though I've only played Y0, honestly I'll be glad to have a new protagonist. Not that I don't like Kiryu, but his character modeling (and to a lesser extent, Majima also) was taking me out of the drama and suspension of disbelief a bit during the cutscenes. The other big characters are based on real people and look fantastic, but Kiryu looks like he escaped from a Dreamcast game. I don't blame the dev team; they've been saddled with a character who was originally designed during the PS2 era. But it will be so nice to see a protagonist that looks as convincingly real as everyone else.
Kiryu in Yakuza 6:

Yakuza-6_09-15-16_003.jpg
Big, enormous spoilers for Yakuza 6's ending
Yeah, I'm not clicking on that :D

Kiryu in Yakuza 6:

Yakuza-6_09-15-16_003.jpg

He looks better there, but he still looks like a videogame character, you know? Like if you told me that was a new Tekken character, I wouldn't be surprised. As opposed to guys like Kuze or Sagawa who were modeled on real people and look pretty convincing. When you put both in the same room, it stands out a bit more.

edit: on another note, I'm starting Premium Adventure mode now. I use the "game clear data" that I saved at the end of the game, right?

Videogamey looking Kiryu and Majima might look out of place in some of the later titles, but not so much in Zero, when Shimano is around, the most cartoonish character of them all.

By the way, does Majima even appear in Yakuza 6 and if so, what does he look like?

He looks better there, but he still looks like a videogame character, you know? Like if you told me that was a new Tekken character, I wouldn't be surprised. As opposed to guys like Kuze or Sagawa who were modeled on real people and look pretty convincing. When you put both in the same room, it stands out a bit more.

edit: on another note, I'm starting Premium Adventure mode now. I use the "game clear data" that I saved at the end of the game, right?

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Kiryu always have a more chiseled/modelled look to him, where you can't see the design imperfections at first glance or at all. I would say the same is true for Nishiki, Majima & Gohda (Ishin).

Whereas 80% of the cast, given they're modelled after real people, has the immediate visual flaws that make them look more notably convincing.

xezuru

btw, I feel empty now that I 100%ed Y0.
No games to play, as I regardless of Y0 as an exception, I hate open world design in games, and also I'm poor as fuck.

Yakuza filled my dark soul with liiiiiiiiiiiight.

Top Bottom