• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Lol

Yeah, I was thinking "luce is not clicking on that". Though, kudos to Shadow for explaining things. We'll just come back to this and read it next year :p

The Yakuza 6 thread will be interesting, that's all I can really say without spoiling anything!

btw, I feel empty now that I 100%ed Y0.
No games to play, as I regardless of Y0 as an exception, I hate open world design in games, and also I'm poor as fuck.

Yakuza filled my dark soul with liiiiiiiiiiiight.

I know that feeling. After 100%ing a Yakuza game I always feel kinda sad since it means I have nothing more to do in the game :( I'm really feeling the itch to start another Yakuza game though as its been a few months since (almost) 100%ing 6 (I can't do a couple of the optional Puyo Puyo challenges for the life of me) so I may have to replay another entry in the series before long. Though that won't help me clear my PS4 backlog...

aravuus

it does indeed! and if you stick with the series, you'll see more of that stance!

It is even more bonkers. Also, the cabaret club "special hostess training" or whatever it is called was really fun.

Well fuck me, now I gotta grind CP and do the cabaret stuff too haha. I was so dead set on focusing on the story for now when I picked the game up again, certainly didn't expect things to go this way.

Looks like I've got almost 50 hours on the clock already, game's definitely taking a while longer than I expected lol.

You mean Kamoji's training? No.

Oh, that's good to hear!

Kiryu always felt like a design that the team never quite was sure what the best balance of looks was. With the shift to HD, I felt like they didn't quite land on their definitive look till Y0, which they then built on to the Y6 look.

Y1/2:
kazuma-kiryu-yakuza-57.jpg

Y3/4:
kiryu.jpg

Y5:

Y0:
YakuzaZero-ds1-670x377-constrain.jpg

YK:
20151214_035835_thumb.png

Y6:
Yakuza-6-Dec-8-JP.jpg

aravuus

What the hell lol, chapter 6's ending almost made me tear up a bit

It was fantastic

e: wait, you gotta invest as one protagonist during their chapter to later on get the money as the other protagonist? Fuck sake, what a stupid system, maybe they should've at least told me so when I met the first cash-throwing guy as Kiryu. Now he's sitting on 4 billion yen and Majima's SOL. I love this game, but some of the design decisions are so goddamn frustrating. Can't decide whether I should wait until like chapter 11 when I've managed to move Kiryu's wealth to Majima before I start this whole cabaret business, or if I'll just start grinding right away.

It looks like you can invest in businesses, but it seems like money might not otherwise play nearly as big a role in the cabaret stuff than it did with real estate?

What the hell lol, chapter 6's ending almost made me tear up a bit

It was fantastic

e: wait, you gotta invest as one protagonist during their chapter to later on get the money as the other protagonist? Fuck sake, what a stupid system, maybe they should've at least told me so when I met the first cash-throwing guy as Kiryu. Now he's sitting on 4 billion yen and Majima's SOL. I love this game, but some of the design decisions are so goddamn frustrating. Can't decide whether I should wait until like chapter 11 when I've managed to move Kiryu's wealth to Majima before I start this whole cabaret business, or if I'll just start grinding right away.

It looks like you can invest in businesses, but it seems like money might not otherwise play nearly as big a role in the cabaret stuff than it did with real estate?
Before you can challenge the "boss" in every area, you need to get a specific number of fans in that area. You can just play the mode to get fans but you can also pay businesses to sponsor your clubs, which is a nifty way of exchanging money for fans.

Money is essential to the Real estate business, but money in the Cabaret business just makes it so you have to play less before you can advance in the business. It's a nice alternative but can get a bit grindy if you don't put in money so it's best to space out cabaret sessions between doing the other side missions and the story as you can easily get burnt out.

aravuus

Money is essential to the Real estate business, but money in the Cabaret business just makes it so you have to play less before you can advance in the business. It's a nice alternative but can get a bit grindy if you don't put in money so it's best to space out cabaret sessions between doing the other side missions and the story as you can easily get burnt out.

Before you can challenge the "boss" in every area, you need to get a specific number of fans in that area. You can just play the mode to get fans but you can also pay businesses to sponsor your clubs, which is a nifty way of exchanging money for fans.

I see, thanks! Think I'll start doing it and if at some point I run into a roadblock that can be solved by either having money or grinding for n hours, I'll just proceed with the main story and finish the cabaret stuff later on, when I've transferred money around.

Well, first I gotta collect all those girls of course lol.

Y5 truly showed Kiryu in full 'I'm too sick of wiping Daigo's ass' glory.

He looks de-aged in 6
Yeah, he looks way too young for his age in Y6.

He should definitely be getting some grey hair. Maybe a grey streak, he'd look distinguished.

I see, thanks! Think I'll start doing it and if at some point I run into a roadblock that can be solved by either having money or grinding for n hours, I'll just proceed with the main story and finish the cabaret stuff later on, when I've transferred money around.

Well, first I gotta collect all those girls of course lol.
Not sure if you know this, but doing substories and filling a few friendship gauges at places of business is the way to go to get most of the "GOLD" hostesses.

The most straight forward one I'd recommend going for is the friendship gauge missions of the little girl outside the Arcade, in the north of the city. Not only do you get a Gold hostess, it's a surprisingly touching storyline.

Got the game today. Any tips?

• There's an item called the "Charismatic Autobiography". Do NOT equip the Charismatic Autobiography.
  • When you have a weapon equipped in your inventory, press down on the d-pad during combat to whip it out.
  • Also know that you can change the difficulty at any point and it won't affect any trophy or Completion List progress.
  • You should ideally keep your inventory stocked with a few healing items at all times, and don't hesitate to fill it to the brim with those items before going into a main mission.
  • None of the side quests or substories are locked to a chapter so if you don't do them in a particular chapter, don't worry because you can always do them later. You can even do them all after the main story has ended, should you wish.
  • Game is LOOOONNNNNGGG.

aravuus

Not sure if you know this, but doing substories and filling a few friendship gauges at places of business is the way to go to get most of the "GOLD" hostesses.

The most straight forward one I'd recommend going for is the friendship gauge missions of the little girl outside the Arcade, in the north of the city. Not only do you get a Gold hostess, it's a surprisingly touching storyline.

Figured that'd be the case, since many of the real estate employees also came from the side quests.

And yeah, I did that quest back when it unlocked. Think I posted then that it was one of the most touching little side stories I've seen in games, which still holds true.

Aki-at

Even though I've only played Y0, honestly I'll be glad to have a new protagonist. Not that I don't like Kiryu, but his character modeling (and to a lesser extent, Majima also) was taking me out of the drama and suspension of disbelief a bit during the cutscenes. The other big characters are based on real people and look fantastic, but Kiryu looks like he escaped from a Dreamcast game. I don't blame the dev team; they've been saddled with a character who was originally designed during the PS2 era. But it will be so nice to see a protagonist that looks as convincingly real as everyone else.

Why are you expecting the next protagonist to be visually based om their VA? We're not going to get a protagonist modeled on one because it's too costly, neither Akiyama or Saejima are based on their actors. The only one who was (Tanimura) isn't a returning protagonist either.

As great as it looks it does add quite a bit to the budget and forces the team to only use the character for one game.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
  • There's an item called the "Charismatic Autobiography". Do NOT equip the Charismatic Autobiography.
  • When you have a weapon equipped in your inventory, press down on the d-pad during combat to whip it out.
  • Also know that you can change the difficulty at any point and it won't affect any trophy or Completion List progress.
  • You should ideally keep your inventory stocked with a few healing items at all times, and don't hesitate to fill it to the brim with those items before going into a main mission.
  • None of the side quests or substories are locked to a chapter so if you don't do them in a particular chapter, don't worry because you can always do them later. You can even do them all after the main story has ended, should you wish.
  • Game is LOOOONNNNNGGG.

Got the game today. Any tips?
  • Game is LOOOONNNNNGGG.
I'll add another one.
  • The game does not have an auto-save feature. Don't forget to save manually at payphones.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'll add another one.
  • The game does not have an auto-save feature. Don't forget to save manually at payphones.

shit i hope it saved when i had to ring the HQ earlier, because I cba to play through all that again, i was up to the part where the old man has you fight bruno

aravuus

Do cabaret hostesses recover HP when I'm just normally playing the game, doing side quests, idling around etc?

This is surprisingly involved compared to the real estate quest. I can see myself playing this for the rest of the evening lol.

Do cabaret hostesses recover HP when I'm just normally playing the game, doing side quests, idling around etc?

This is surprisingly involved compared to the real estate quest. I can see myself playing this for the rest of the evening lol.

They recover by sitting out of an open night.

Yeah, he looks way too young for his age in Y6.

He should definitely be getting some grey hair. Maybe a grey streak, he'd look distinguished.

I think someone said Kiryu is 48 in Y6? I don't think most guys get gray hair until their 50's, but his chin thing should at least have some gray stubble. Then again, he's Japanese. Look at Kojima...he's in his 50s right? He looks more like early 40s.

Why are you expecting the next protagonist to be visually based om their VA? We're not going to get a protagonist modeled on one because it's too costly, neither Akiyama or Saejima are based on their actors. The only one who was (Tanimura) isn't a returning protagonist either.

As great as it looks it does add quite a bit to the budget and forces the team to only use the character for one game.

Well, this is my first Yakuza so I just assumed any new characters would be based on real people. But hey, all these western sales means they'll have like an extra 100,000 yen to work with on Yakuza 7 so you never know. ;)

Ah, figures. Looks like I gotta bust out the bronze losers every now and again too.

Hey, they may be Bronze, but they have a heart of gold, and a few have stats of gold if you level them up.

I can't wait to go back and continue the cabaret club; it's gotta be my favorite side activity.

Annnnd done with both the Real Estate and Cabaret Club sidequests. Still only like 68% completion rate with over 80 hours on the clock and almost all sidestories done. I think I'm gonna call it quits here for now and wait for Kiwami.

aravuus

Man, I got my ass handed to me in the first cabaret club battle, even though I kept doing very well (helped successfully every time, assigned girls around properly etc). What am I supposed to do, just level up the girls and get more fans and try again?

The levels and fans are a bit vague, hard to tell how directly they translate into faster cash flow.

SephLuis

Man, I got my ass handed to me in the first cabaret club battle, even though I kept doing very well (helped successfully every time, assigned girls around properly etc). What am I supposed to do, just level up the girls and get more fans and try again?

The levels and fans are a bit vague, hard to tell how directly they translate into faster cash flow.

The cash flow depends on the happiness of the client and how much they have. IIRC the clients can be: poor, regular, rich, mega rich. So one happy mega rich guy will give you much more cash than one happy poor guy.

Depending on their tastes, they will want long/short sessions. Long sessions are easier to extend their time which makes them enter fever mode without spending the bar. Fever mode also makes getting cash much, much faster.

As the client has more cash, the client is also more of a pain in the ass to deal. So mega rich guys will only like hostess with top status for example.

Calabi

Woot! I got the best manager ever Nugget. This game I've never laughed so much at a game, and one that is attempting to be funny and succeeds.

The cash flow depends on the happiness of the client and how much they have. IIRC the clients can be: poor, regular, rich, mega rich. So one happy mega rich guy will give you much more cash than one happy poor guy.

Depending on their tastes, they will want long/short sessions. Long sessions are easier to extend their time which makes them enter fever mode without spending the bar. Fever mode also makes getting cash much, much faster.

As the client has more cash, the client is also more of a pain in the ass to deal. So mega rich guys will only like hostess with top status for example.

None of that really applies to the first area though.

It's mostly just about timing your Party Fever right, don't go using it up when all the sessions in progress are almost over anyway. (Espeially since you might get lucky and extend a session which has the same effect as Party Fever.)

You can't really chose which session to use Party Fever on, but keep in mind that when one third of the bar is filled, only two sessions can be effected, with 2/3, it's 4 and so on.

Also, the enemy will hit your girls with negative status effects (And in later battles even throw out your customers.) whenever they use their Party Fever, but sessions that are currently in Party Fever or were extended can't be affected.

Oh and...I only learned this much later, but you can switch girls out of a current session whenever you want.

aravuus

Good cabaret tips, thanks guys! I've been grinding the first area and just now got my first wealthy customer, looks like more fans might translate to wealthier customers, too.

Dude was pretty resistant to my girls' charms, but when you turned on the party mode, motherfucker was just raring to go throw those 100k bills around

e: Seriously, these club battles don't feel fair at all. Mars' money bar starts going up immediately, before I've even gotten my first customer cause I'm waiting for those goddamn timers, and they get their first party fever when I've gotten like my third customer. Oh, and of course the fever kicks out 1 or 2 of my customers.

Like what the fuck. I've done everything perfectly and by the time I get my first fever, he has TWICE my money bar.

Oh yeah, that's another thing I forgot to mention. No matter the customer's mood, whenever they're put into Party Fever it goes all the way to the top.

Edit: I wouldn't pay their money bar much attention. It always fills much faster than yours as does their Party Fever bar, but that doesn't directly translate into the amount of money they make. When I did the last battle, my rival went and got a huge headstart, but I won with double the amount he got in the end.

Good cabaret tips, thanks guys! I've been grinding the first area and just now got my first wealthy customer, looks like more fans might translate to wealthier customers, too.

Dude was pretty resistant to my girls' charms, but when you turned on the party mode, motherfucker was just raring to go throw those 100k bills around

Be aware of hints about each area, such as "men in this district like to party". When you do a battle in that area for example, you'd want to staff more of your hostesses with high Party stats.

I don't want to tell you stuff you already know, but it actually took me a few nights before I figured this out: when you select a customer and choose a hostess, as you cycle through the hostess list you'll see the customer's emoticon change. Obviously you want to pair them with a hostess that gets a purple rating. But also be aware of whether they want a long or short session, as the hostess's HP may run out if the customer wants to party all night. Fortunately time stops while you select a hostess, so you can put some thought into it.

Also, if you keep failing a cabaret battle, you may need to just level up your hostesses a bit more, or find more Silver and Gold hostesses. Good rule of thumb is to at least be done with the newest Platinum hostess's training before doing the next battle.

aravuus

Oh yeah, that's another thing I forgot to mention. No matter the customer's mood, whenever they're put into Party Fever it goes all the way to the top.

Edit: I wouldn't pay their money bar much attention. It always fills much faster than yours as does their Party Fever bar, but that doesn't directly translate into the amount of money they make. When I did the last battle, my rival went and got a huge headstart, but I won with double the amount he got in the end.

Oh yeah okay, looks like you're right and I just panicked early lol. I won with 18 million yen vs 12 million yen.

I can kinda feel it in me bones that these will frustrate me to no end later on, though lol. Hopefully I'm wrong, I really want that final reward.

Be aware of hints about each area, such as "men in this district like to party". When you do a battle in that area for example, you'd want to staff more of your hostesses with high Party stats.

I don't want to tell you stuff you already know, but it actually took me a few nights before I figured this out: when you select a customer and choose a hostess, as you cycle through the hostess list you'll see the customer's emoticon change. Obviously you want to pair them with a hostess that gets a purple rating. But also be aware of whether they want a long or short session, as the hostess's HP may run out if the customer wants to party all night. Fortunately time stops while you select a hostess, so you can put some thought into it.

Oh yeah, I noticed the emoticon changes, been assigning hostesses pretty much based on purely that. None of them have been even near to running out of HP so far.

Didn't realize different districts have people with different tastes, so thanks for the tip!

Oh yeah okay, looks like you're right and I just panicked early lol. I won with 18 million yen vs 12 million yen.

I can kinda feel it in me bones that these will frustrate me to no end later on, though lol. Hopefully I'm wrong, I really want that final reward.

Honestly, the later battles felt harder as I was doing them as the punishment they could deal with their Party Fever got more severe but in the end, the gap between my earnings and theirs kept increasing with each new club, so I guess it kinda gets easier actually. Only a bit more hectic maybe.

And I never really paid attention to any area's preference, I just made sure that I had as much Platinum and Gold hostesses as possible and if there ever was a picky costumer I usually had at least one girl that fit the bill, or could just put him in Party Fever.

The dress-up part didn't seem terribly important either, I only really did that with Yuki.

SephLuis

Oh yeah, I noticed the emoticon changes, been assigning hostesses pretty much based on purely that. None of them have been even near to running out of HP so far.

Didn't realize different districts have people with different tastes, so thanks for the tip!

I think mars and the last one are the most problematic because of how their party time works against you.

Don't worry, soon enough you will be dominating the cabaret minigame and wondering how those guys can be so easy.

No need for spoiler tags, the official Japanese site outright has "The final chapter of Kiryu's story" in huge fonts on the main page.
the most disappointing here is that Kiryu did not end up with
Mayumi
in Yakuza 5 :(
He looks better there, but he still looks like a videogame character, you know? Like if you told me that was a new Tekken character, I wouldn't be surprised. As opposed to guys like Kuze or Sagawa who were modeled on real people and look pretty convincing. When you put both in the same room, it stands out a bit more.

edit: on another note, I'm starting Premium Adventure mode now. I use the "game clear data" that I saved at the end of the game, right?
he's partially modeled after his voice actor but not 100%

10784.jpg

wedca

The dress-up part didn't seem terribly important either, I only really did that with Yuki.

I don't agree with this. You can max three out of four appeal categories by doing the makeovers (might need to unlock more accessories before this is possible.) It really improves your flexibility in assigning your best hostesses and makes it much easier to get good matches for demanding customers in later areas.

Alright, how do you get to fix up other girls in the cabaret game? Can only do their no.1 girl at the moment.

Can only makeover the platinum hostesses.

the most disappointing here is that Kiryu did not end up with
Mayumi
in Yakuza 5 :(
he's partially modeled after his voice actor but not 100%

10784.jpg

Ah didn't know that. I can see a bit of resemblance, but what Nightengale said is true; Kiryu lacks the imperfections of some of the other characters like Kuze. I think there's something more intangible though, like Kiryu's facial proportions are off compared to a real human.

hey isn't it about time for an OT2 since we passed 10k posts five pages ago? Or do we just plan to ride this one out since posts are slowing?

Ah didn't know that. I can see a bit of resemblance, but what Nightengale said is true; Kiryu lacks the imperfections of some of the other characters like Kuze. I think there's something more intangible though, like Kiryu's facial proportions are off compared to a real human.

hey isn't it about time for an OT2 since we passed 10k posts five pages ago? Or do we just plan to ride this one out since posts are slowing?

yeah I kinda feel that way about Kiryu's looks sometimes too. Like, sometimes it does look too off, especially around the space between his nose and lips but other times I'm thinking they got look right.

Either way...by no means do I feel good about sending him off after Yakuza 6. The reason I couldn't finish Yakuza 5 was because I had to play as not two, or three, or four, but FIVE different characters. I'll give you Haruka since she's a main character to the whole franchise like Kiryu, but I don't care about any of the other characters enough to play through whole sections of the game with them

With Majima as well when I was playing Yakuza 0 I got all hyped when he showed up, but he's also a staple character, but moving forward with the franchise...I dunno, unless I play Yakuza 6 and it gives me Logan vibes (just saw that today, great film) I'm not sure if I'll continue a Yakuza without Kiryu

exfatal

Oh man just beat yakuza 0 great game and great starting off point for a first timer like me. Although towards the end i was more interested in Majima story than Kiryu's also whats up with Kiryu
promising to protect tachiba little sis but then loses her right away and doesn't seem to care afterwards lol
Either way great game and looking forward to the others just see how the characters develop cause according to credits shit goes down between
1995 and 2005?

Chapter 13

Oda, you piece of shit. They really threw me off with the Tachibana reveal so kudos to them. Also the first Yakuza twist of the game with with Tachibana being Makoto's brother! I was waiting for something outlandish and it finally happened. Also lol Oda and Tachibana are from the mainland but their Japanese accents are impeccable. Hell, Oda can barely speak Chinese!

Chapter 13

Oda, you piece of shit. They really threw me off with the Tachibana reveal so kudos to them. Also the first Yakuza twist of the game with with Tachibana being Makoto's brother! I was waiting for something outlandish and it finally happened. Also lol Oda and Tachibana are from the mainland but their Japanese accents are impeccable. Hell, Oda can barely speak Chinese!

I'm just glad they hired someone who can speak Chinese properly for
that one random NPC who brings you around Little Asia.

Rymuth

Well, Kiryu is designed from scratch

Kuze's face is captured from a live person using SEGA's fantastic tech

Top Bottom