• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Rymuth

Yakuza 3's the best.
Me vs you lot

Vw1DVS.gif

Jimrpg

Yakuza 3 is still the only way to play in Okinawa isn't it? It's my third favourite city after Kamurocho and Sotenbori. It's just way more laid back without all the neon lights.

Last half of the game was awesome.

Also some people hate it because of the cut content, but there was still a lot there, and I don't think Ill ever go and play the Japanese version just for the stuff cut.

I give it a lot of shit because of orphans, CIA twins and Kiryu's ugliest model yet but really, I understand it was their first forte into the HD age and I was very impressed by their effort. Game's just the red-headed stepchild that I like to tease.

Don't hate it, just disappointed.

And really, *that* ending would've been fantastic way to cap off Kiryu's legend.

You're dead to me.
like dead souls dead? =P

i really liked the orphanage part. really set the mood as if kiryu was really retired. the problems kids were having bulling, stealing, identity as an orphan was pretty damn accurate. really nice touch. it was like starting off with a nice sidequest.

xezuru

byuuteefur ayeez

The only part i actively hate about Y3 is the Osaka midlevel Yakuza shitfuck
and censoring aaaaaaaaah

Peroroncino

A bit off-topic but... do we have an exact date for Kiwami's release?

Oh, and please stop bashing Yakuza 3 or I'm going to find you, all of you. It was neat!

I know you're a huge fan of Yakuza 3 and it is indeed a good game, but Yakuza 4 really knocked it out of the park in terms of reinventing the series with multiple protaganists and fighting styles. If you're in Yakuza for the narrative its definitely worth a play thru and there are some bits that tie back to Y0.

Also Tanimura's chapter is really well done and isn't available in other Yakuza titles.

Ah... that's too bad.
see the thing with that is, i did download yakuza 5. but as soon as kiryu's opening chapter ended, i immediately lost interest in playing the game .

so as far as yakuza 4 goes, if there are no plans to remaster it (why would sega do that) then my only opportunity is to just watch a playthrough on youtube?
yakuza 4 is so good

the whole damn yakuza series is damn good, david.
After 3, it needed to be. :p
stop hating on yakuza 3

HCgamer

Over the weekend I ordered the business edition on bestbuy's website the package just arrived in the mail they sent me the regular version I checked their website again now they only have the standard edition for sale I used my $5 rewards coupon on this purchase I think I'm out of luck with that I am so angry disappointed.

Over the weekend I ordered the business edition on bestbuy's website the package just arrived in the mail they sent me the regular version I checked their website again now they only have the standard edition for sale I used my $5 rewards coupon on this purchase I think I'm out of luck with that I am so angry disappointed.

there's still some copies of the business edition on ebay although you might have to pay an aftermarket price for it

Jimrpg

see the thing with that is, i did download yakuza 5. but as soon as kiryu's opening chapter ended, i immediately lost interest in playing the game .

so as far as yakuza 4 goes, if there are no plans to remaster it (why would sega do that) then my only opportunity is to just watch a playthrough on youtube?

the whole damn yakuza series is damn good, david.stop hating on yakuza 3

pretty much, a let's play or story recap would be fine, but playing through Yakuza 4 would be much better - there's just a lot of text to read through as per usual in a Yakuza game.

Yakuza 4's characters are honestly all great. Saejima's chapter in 4 is great, because his chapter in 5 imo is no where near as good.

+1 on this. None of that Shinada crap.

Also Yakuza 3 is amazing. Except for the NA cover.

Shinada's chapter is more entertaining than Saejima's and Haruka's.

Yakuza 3 was my first experience with the series and i did not like it one bit. In fact, i didn't look at the series at all after that. I thought it was a horrible game.

I just played Yakuza 0 and its an amazing game. Truly one of the best ps4 experiences ive had so far. Game is definitely my fav game this year

Shinada's chapter was INCREDIBLE. It's just a shame that the character isn't as fun to play and that
the way they tied him into the overaching plot was pretty ridiculous but
as a stand-alone chapter, it was one of the best this series has put out.

The gameplay in Haruka's chapter saved it else it wasn't so hot.

MYeager

Can't wait to play Saejimas chapter in Yakuza 7 where he's trying to break out of jail again! /s

Maybe Saejima will loan someone some money with an interesting past and the Tojo Clan will require the assistance of the 4th Chairman for some convoluted reason!

Dream dates, multiple bear fights, snowmobiling, santa, snowball fights, testing cold medicine, etc Saejima was great.

Then again I did Shinada import first when I didn't understand much and understanding the text certainly was more entertaining the second time. But you could take him out completely and it not make much of a difference. His combat stank and he didn't add much more than plot padding after a lot of plot padding.

pretty much, a let's play or story recap would be fine, but playing through Yakuza 4 would be much better - there's just a lot of text to read through as per usual in a Yakuza game.

Yakuza 4's characters are honestly all great. Saejima's chapter in 4 is great, because his chapter in 5 imo is no where near as good.

Shinada's chapter is more entertaining than Saejima's and Haruka's.
I hear you man. It's a goddamn shame there's no BC on Ps4 moreover that fucking Sony put forth no effort into making it happen.

The only part i actively hate about Y3 is the Osaka midlevel Yakuza shitfuck and censoring aaaaaaaaah

I don't know if it would've changed much in regards to the series' western reception but this is one of Sega's biggest missteps in the series imo. In cases like this you always hear "Yeah, people will complain about the missing content but they'll get the game anyway." but in my case I did originally intend to jump into the series with 3 and then never did precisely because of all the side content they cut out. If it was actual censorship, like, they really couldn't show this stuff in a western release, I would've been more understanding, but janking several side missions out just because it'd take too long to translate doesn't sit right with me and to this day, even now that I'm into the series and have played all the games that came after it, I have no desire to play 3 in it's current form. Send me the game and I'd just sell it right away.

The other big misstep is not releasing Yakuza 1 & 2 HD over here. The translations were already done, even if the series didn't sell, this seemed like a no-brainer to me. How much money could it have cost them?

Rymuth

Can't wait to play Saejimas chapter in Yakuza 7 where he's trying to break out of jail again! /s
Meanwhile, Akiyama realizes that a background check is a much better of determining a person's flight risk than sending them out to rescue the neighborhood cat

ZeroX03

Banned
Shinada was fine in isolation, but he had no place in that sweeping narrative and to come in at the end was especially bizarre. The order in which Y4 structured their character introductions and chapters was much stronger. Also Shinada being the most boring character to play didn't help, especially as Tanimura was really fun.

Y5 is just kind of too much. Like when you put too many ingredients in a burrito and it bursts. Yeah, you're eating it with a fork and it's still great, but a little restraint would've made it go down a whole lot easier.

Y3 is delightful and that scene wasn't topped in Y4 or Y5 for emotional resonance to me. Okinawa might be second best city too. Only Sotenbori compares, but Okinawa feels so much more different to that and Kamurocho.

Shinada was fine in isolation, but he had no place in that sweeping narrative and to come in at the end was especially bizarre. The order in which Y4 structured their character introductions and chapters was much stronger. Also Shinada being the most boring character to play didn't help, especially as Tanimura was really fun.

Y5 is just kind of too much. Like when you put too many ingredients in a burrito and it bursts. Yeah, you're eating it with a fork and it's still great, but a little restraint would've made it go down a whole lot easier.

Y3 is delightful and that scene wasn't topped in Y4 or Y5 for emotional resonance to me. Okinawa might be second best city too. Only Sotenbori compares, but Okinawa feels so much more different to that and Kamurocho.
what scene?

I'm assuming he means
Rikiya's death
. That moment even made me well up.

But there's also the scene with
the little deaf girl who's the daughter of the Okinawan Yakuza boss,
and of course
the finale.

KRaZyAmmo

I'm almost done trying befriend the bowling girl but everytime i try to 100% befriend her. The game says i need to continue the real estate. Any way to fully befriend with her?

Mikhal

I'm not even done doing Leisure King yet.

This is your issue.

Right now you only have access to Leisure King properties and the bowling alley is in the Gambling King area. Once you beat him you'll unlock the ability to gain areas of the other Kings.

So Yakuza 0 sold over 100k copies according to Nagoshi-san.
*Kuroda is the voice actor for Kiryu, Nagoshi is the creator of the Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza franchise.

Nagoshi vs Kuroda
https://youtu.be/TMjy3vzDNGY

• Kuroda talks about his thoughts on the ending of RGG6.
  • Nagoshi talks about the deleted scene in the post credit part.
  • Y0 sold over 100 thousand copies.

That's Yakuza 0's sales number, not Ryu ga Gotoku 0.

Endo Punk

100k is really good in the West. Hope it continues to sell. My favourite Q1 game.

Don't like the fact Y6 is Kiryu only and had cutbacks due to jump to new tech. Will definitely be interested in a Y7 though.

So Yakuza 0 sold over 100k copies according to Nagoshi-san.
*Kuroda is the voice actor for Kiryu, Nagoshi is the creator of the Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza franchise.

That's not that high...

I'm actually surprised how well Nier and P5 did compared to Yakuza...

But it changes nothing for me : buying day one every yakuza games coming to the west.

Yup, the Yakuza series has not sold well in the West, other than Yakuza 1 and 3.

Yakuza: Dead Souls in particular was pretty much a bomb.

This is a good sign though, as the game has only just gone on sale on EU PSN so I expect that to help move some copies. I have faith that the game at least sold well according to SEGA/Atlus' expectations so that means that hopefully they'll be more open to porting the games to the West in a timely fashion.

Does 100k make it the best selling game in the west to date?
I believe that honour goes to Yakuza 3, hopefully someone can post some hard numbers to back it up.

Wheatly

Western game sales are spoiling you, believe Y0 did really well relative to the franchise sales in the West. Hopefully it only goes up for this game and future releases.

All that you're telling me is that all Yakuza game sales are abysmal in the West.

I wonder what the devs get as a cut for sales? Regardless, it can only be few million dollars total - which i'm surprised can even support a small studio team.

Endo Punk

All that you're telling me is that all Yakuza game sales are abysmal in the West.

I wonder what the devs get as a cut for sales? Regardless, it can only be few million dollars total - which i'm surprised can even support a small studio team.

Franchise has been ongoing despite each title selling 500k-1 million and in some cases less. Gotta imagine the budget is quite low especially since 60% of the assets are always reused. They are make their money back with Japanese releases alone and the Western sales are just extra, especially since Sony support to bring them over. If SEGA is happy with these sales then I'm happy.

This series has exceptionally low development cost, mainly due to a staggering amount of asset re-use, motion capture which makes animating moves and cutscenes much less of a hassle, and a LOT of product tie-ins.

Yakuza 5 was the biggest Yakuza game ever, with 5 protagonists with their own chapters and 4 cities and other hubs and activities that we've never seen before. And it's no coincidence that that game also had an EXTREMELY high amount of product tie-ins. It's one of the few series where it actually works though, as it really makes the places feel more real.

The profit that they expect is entirely from the Asian market. The games are made for, marketed to and released for the mature Asian market. The west in turn gets releases much later than the asian release, has next to no marketing and as a result also has considerably less expectations.

I may be wrong but if they recoup the costs of the localization and make a respectable profit on top of that, then SEGA will most likely consider it a worthwhile venture since otherwise the game's pretty much made all the profit that it can realistically make from the Asian market. It appeases their fans, and allows them to make more money off their games.

Top Bottom