• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Rymuth

Space Yakuza!
binary-domain-0013.jpg

I mean there's nothing wrong with that but why can't a Japanese game without Souls difficulty or Waifus sell as much :(
Nier did tho. Not only that, but stuff like KH or even Tales Of sale a good bit. Warriors series also does pretty good in the west.

It's not that Japanese stuff outside of anime or souls, don't sale. It's that for whatever reason, Yakuza just doesn't. It frustrates me to no end, but I have no idea why people pass on it so easily.

Rymuth

Nier did tho. Not only that, but stuff like KH or even Tales Of sale a good bit. Warriors series also does pretty good in the west.

It's not that Japanese stuff outside of anime or souls, don't sale. It's that for whatever reason, Yakuza just doesn't. It frustrates me to no end, but I have no idea why people pass on it so easily.
Are you implying 2B is not Waifu material?

danthefan

Bought this in the recent EU PSN sale, tbh I'm coming in totally blind other than reading loads of posts here about how good it is... and I'm not getting it yet I have to say. Probably only two hours in so I'll give it more time. But I really don't get it yet.

Crayon

I've been watching someone play this for hours now. This is Super Shenmue. They totally love it btw...
I want to play Horizon but I can't bring myself to kick them off the ps4 :x

I can't believe the game only did 100k. I've had so much fun playing it, though I have found it to be a hard sell for my friends. They're tired of cinematics and want everything to be in their control. I bet if they actually played for an hour or two, they'd change their mind.

Eidjinn

When people said this series was underrated, I never believed in them.
I recently finished the 4th (before paying full price for the Y0) and I'm blown away!
The 4th installment was my first, and boy... I had a FUN time!

Posting here just to say how awesome this post is! Some really nice opinions (that are "forcing" me to buy the rst of the series!)!

Theonik

So, after a hellish esperience getting 36 CP(really should have saved getting those cabaret girls for last) I got the limit break. But it took pretty much my whole wallet, just to do one level. Is there a good way for Majima to earn money fast? Also, whenever I upgraded my health, it would just flash red,no sign of an increase, what does that mean? It can't upgrade anymore? If so, aren't I just wasting money on this limit break?
It's hard to earn cash with Majima. Thankfully by levelling up Mr. Moneybags you can transfer money between protagonists for free. As for making money in general the fastest way is Mr. Shakedown with the deep pockets upgrade and an avarice shirt with Kiryu. Basically lose your money to Mr. Shakedown and then beat them up which with this configuration gets you the money back + 80%. By repeating this you increase the amount you earn each time, you can then put the money in limit break upgrades and make beating him up easier but he goes down pretty easy with maxed out Kiryu anyway with the Super Spicy Knife.

The money limit for each protagonist is only 9.9 trillion yen anyway so max out Kiryu with the Shakedown trick then send 3tn to Majima, then get some more cash with Kiryu and do it again.

I can see this selling 100k. It's really good but seriously not for everyone.

You could say the same for Nier Automata and Persona 5, yet both of those sold *much* better.

Holy fuck this game starts slow.

They all kinda do, but at least in this game the plot gets going right away. 4 and 5 took a long time of dealing with mundane day to day stuff before it got interesting. From what I heard it was even worse in 3. But the wait was always worth it.

Crayon

You could say the same for Nier Automata and Persona 5, yet both of those sold *much* better.

I don't think I could say it to the same extent. This is my first Yakuza game, and I find it far more eccentric than Nier Auto. We're playing it right now and I'd call this a pretty weird game. I haven't tried persona yet so I cant comment on that. But imo, Yakuza makes Nier look somewhat straighforward.

The eccentric stuff in these games is all the humor in the substories and side activities which you'd not even notice if you just watched a couple of trailers and knew nothing else about the franchise. The story itself is a fairly grounded crime plot and on the surface the game is an action beat em-up with open world and RPG elements. I'm pretty sure most people who never touched the series have no idea about the weirder stuff in these games. Maybe that's the real issue? I dunno.

I'm close to platinuming the game, only need to finish the last few chapters on Legend and so far it has been easy enough if you come prepared. However, that car chase is some ol' bullshit. I don't even mind the difficulty, even though for some reason i keep getting worse the more times i retry it, but an unskippable dialogue and no less than 5 (skippable) cutscenes for every retry, come on!

As usual, whenever i have a problem with a gameplay section or mechanic, it turns out to have been my own fault all along. After numerous failed attempts at the car chase on Legend difficulty this afternoon, i easily beat it on my second attempt tonight. While my aim was always on point, i haven't been taking advantage of the gun's full rate of fire before, resulting in the car being heavily damaged before i even got to the helicopter section. Now that i kept pressing the trigger as fast as i could, no car came even close to ramming me and i passed the whole chase with barely a scratch. It was almost laughably easy.

I don't think I could say it to the same extent. This is my first Yakuza game, and I find it far more eccentric than Nier Auto. We're playing it right now and I'd call this a pretty weird game. I haven't tried persona yet so I cant comment on that. But imo, Yakuza makes Nier look somewhat straighforward.

I think Nier looks much more anime, which could be offputting to a mainstream audience. Plus the strange affinity for bullet hell sequences.

Maybe I'm biased or blinded by my love for Y0, but I find the main story very accessible. That's why I find Yakuza's low sales so bizarre: it has a stellar story and characters you can't help but love. It's a gripping crime drama, and even though it's a subtitle-only game, the localization is fantastic. I think Yakuza fans sometimes do the game a disservice by posting GIFs of the wacky stuff because I think it gives a sort of wrong impression of the game.

I saw a topic about this in another board recently. Why the series still gets overlooked in the west, even now with 0. And yeah, the majority of responses against Yakuza 0 where pretty much "No dub, no buy". I guess they don't know how that worked out with 1.

Holy fuck this game starts slow.
After experiencing Persona 5, I feel way better about how Yakuza 0 starts. I'm 25 hours in Persona 5, and the game is till holding my hand. P5 goes back and forth between giving you freedom and then taking it away to start some sort of disguised tutorial like story event.

GunBR

I think 100k for Yakuza would look great if we didn't had Nier Automata (another niche game) shipping over 600k in the west

But at least sold better than the last ones and created some new fans

OniBaka

I saw a topic about this in another board recently. Why the series still gets overlooked in the west, even now with 0. And yeah, the majority of responses against Yakuza 0 where pretty much "No dub, no buy". I guess they don't know how that worked out with 1.
Ni Oh isn't dubbed and selling really well and honestly Yakuza deserves it more.

Ni Oh isn't dubbed and selling really well and honestly Yakuza deserves it more.

That game has Irish Geralt as the protagonist though.

I'm not gonna say that Yakuza deserves it more than these other Japanese series. NieR:Automata, Ni-Oh, Persona 5 and Gravity Rush 2 all have the common theme of being great games and they deserve all the success that they get.

And while 100k may pale in comparison to the sales these games may have had, it's still a lot more than most of the previous entries in the Yakuza series so I hope the sales only go up for Kiwami and Y6.

Jimrpg

That game has Irish Geralt as the protagonist though.

I'm not gonna say that Yakuza deserves it more than these other Japanese series. NieR:Automata, Ni-Oh, Persona 5 and Gravity Rush 2 all have the common theme of being great games and they deserve all the success that they get.

And while 100k may pale in comparison to the sales these games may have had, it's still a lot more than most of the previous entries in the Yakuza series so I hope the sales only go up for Kiwami and Y6.

Well Nier had about 250k sales on steam, so if that 600k figure is correct that's 350k sales on PS4.

Not exactly Horizon like numbers. Nier also appears less Japanese.

FrankWza

Just started. Any tips on best early upgrades? Also, what should i watch to prime me up? I know its japan and not hk but it has an early woo vibe.

Just started. Any tips on best early upgrades? Also, what should i watch to prime me up? I know its japan and not hk but it has an early woo vibe.

Hmmm.... I guess early on you could spend some points on Rush style. Though, more than anything try to do the trainings for each style when they eventually become available.

Though honestly, you don't have to worry about these stuff for now. Especially if you are playing on normal. Just remember to carry around a bunch of healing items (Stamina drinks, you can buy them at drug store) just in case you found yourself in a tough spot.

Also, remember that saving is manual. And whatever you do, do not equip Charismatic Autobiography.

My advice is more general: take everything in moderation. There's a ton of side content and even more opens up later on. Feel free to dip into that as you want as it'll help you make money, which is crucial for buying health and "investing in yourself". But don't leave the story for too long as you want to keep that narrative tension intact. There is a mode called Premium Adventure which opens up after you finish the story, and you can do all the side content you want there at your own leisure. IMO the game works best when you strike a balance between story and diversions.

Do all beast mode training and invest in it. If any battle starts next to a bicycle or similar object you can consider that fight to be pretty much over.

Past

I hate to say it, but yeah the series would probably do way better if it had an anime art style. Weaboos /Otakus don't want to touch the series because it's not anime and the people that want a more realistic art avoid it because it doesn't have an AAA budget and looks dated.

I got goosebumps when (early game spoilers)
Kiryu is dismissed as a Yakuza and goes Super Saiyan on these fools as a citizen
. Good shit right here.

dukeoflegs

Just finished the game at almost 66 hours (65:59). Fantastic game, only downside for me was combat really got boring/repetitive/tedious the further I played the game especially with Kiryu. Maybe I didn't up grade it enough for him, but I was just getting tired of the combat.
I'm looking forward to the next game.

So...how would I know if I'd like this game? Never played Yakuza. Hmm

• Do you like games with crime-based stories?
  • Do you like games with and incredibly well made long cutscenes?
  • Do you like brawling/beat em up games?
  • Do you like fun?
If you answered yes to any 2 of those questions, Yakuza is for you!

BeeDog

Finally went back to this game after spending time with Horizon, the DkS III DLC, some Persona 5 and some Torment. This game still feels so good, especially story-wise; wrapped up chapters 14 and 15 and the plot is still crazy about throwing twists in your face. Love it!

I had been enjoying this game on hard until chapter 9 dojima family mobs. Holy crap are they annoying. 5-6 enemie, some with knives, and the ones without interrupt your attacks and are hard to stagger to even finish combos. They group up and relentlessly attack that knocks you down.

I might have to go down to normal if I can. Probably doesn't help that I'm doing a lot of sidequests in this chapter where I'm supposed to be hiding, lol.

Oops it looks like I equipped CHARISMATIC BIOGRAPHY by mistake. Thought it would increase money earned or something. Surprised I could run around with that equipped for a few hours.

Jimrpg

I had been enjoying this game on hard until chapter 9 dojima family mobs. Holy crap are they annoying. 5-6 enemie, some with knives, and the ones without interrupt your attacks and are hard to stagger to even finish combos. They group up and relentlessly attack that knocks you down.

I might have to go down to normal if I can. Probably doesn't help that I'm doing a lot of sidequests in this chapter where I'm supposed to be hiding, lol.

Ah awesome! I just got up to Chapter 9 myself last week but haven't had time to play since. I'm on hard as well. Looking forward to see if its a good type of hard or annoying type. The only annoying parts I've had so far are when I have had to protect Makoto. Felt like playing Ico again and not the good part of Ico either!

Ah awesome! I just got up to Chapter 9 myself last week but haven't had time to play since. I'm on hard as well. Looking forward to see if its a good type of hard or annoying type. The only annoying parts I've had so far are when I have had to protect Makoto. Felt like playing Ico again and not the good part of Ico either!

Don't equip charismatic biography and you won't have my frustrating experience.

I wonder if they changed the title of the games in the west it might help. Yakuza is pretty well known but it doesn't stand out on the shelf.

I hate to say it, but yeah the series would probably do way better if it had an anime art style. Weaboos /Otakus don't want to touch the series because it's not anime and the people that want a more realistic art avoid it because it doesn't have an AAA budget and looks dated.

You know, I managed to convince one person on another board to get the game after nagging him for days. He really doesn't like anime or weird japanese humor, but I kinda knew he'd love the game as it is. He finally got the game and yeah, he did a total 180 on it, became his favorite game in a long time. His conclusion was that the game was indeed anime as fuck and so was all the humor in the game but because of the contrasting, realistic artstyle it somehow totally worked for him.

So maybe the lesson here is that we need to convince everyone that the Yakuza series is incredibly anime-esque, despite it's looks.

And on a different note, speaking of the Charismatic Autobiography, is it just me or do the Legendary styles have a similiar effect? I mean, at that point it's not much of an issue anymore, because you have ridiculous amounts of health and dish out ridiculous amounts of damage but enemies seem way more aggressive when using those styles and interrupt your attacks a lot more it seems.

Top Bottom