• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Peroroncino

I guess I'll take the roll of pessimist again! I don't believe Ishin is happening. It'll be Kiwami 2 getting the PSX announcement. I just don't see Sega going back and doing Ishin since its a side story, and I still believe that they believe there isn't a big enough market for the concept/setting on the game. I'd love to be wrong (its one of the best games in the series), I just don't see it happening unless the series is doing way better over here than I believed.

very obscure question, but in DS i beat dead souls mode and got the infinite anti tank missile launcher. I grabbed it with Akiyama from bob and beat akiyamas story with it. Now i am on Majima, how do I get it again? Bob says I already have it

very obscure question, but in DS i beat dead souls mode and got the infinite anti tank missile launcher. I grabbed it with Akiyama from bob and beat akiyamas story with it. Now i am on Majima, how do I get it again? Bob says I already have it

Usually he only lets you have one of any item in the inventory at one time (this is across all Yakuza games he does this). So chances are the game won't give you another because Akiyama already has it.

Weiss

Banned
Well I'm a ways into 0. I think I like Majima more than Kiryu. He's way more of a nutbar and his combat is more fun, and I'm not sure I'm feeling Kiryu's real estate thing.

I love the story and characters. It's so atypical of Japanese games I've played. It has personality to spare.

It's kinda funny seeing newcomers starting with Y0 and liking Majima more.

I mean series veterans love Majima too but for almost entirely different reasons lol.

eww no, the best reason is Ryuji "Dragon of Kansai" Goda.

Makoto got her resolution in Yakuza 2. I want to see more of Majima's romantic exploits, particularly what happened with Park.

Aki-at

I'm just hyped to see Kaoru again.

Like I was so sure she'd at least appear in Ishin again but... nope even on that front. I really do wonder what the deal is for the writing team with her. Not like they didn't retain some of the characters from Yakuza 2 onwards either.

Seeing Karou again is my number 1 hype factor for Kiwami 2. With Ryuuji in second and the boss battle against
Hayashi
third. Can't wait for the
Osaka Castle bit
either.

But yeah, Seeing Makoto again will be very interesting, as will the story to Majima's whole section.

Plus just seeing the refinements to the engine... Really there is a lot to be hyped about for Kiwami 2!

TheDanger

Banned
I can't for the life of me find out on google where the games take place? Is it Tokyo? Kyoto? Fictional city?

edit: and of course there it is right in the OP, GAF > Internet

Aki-at

I can't for the life of me find out on google where the games take place? Is it Tokyo? Kyoto? Fictional city?

Which one?

Kamurocho is based on Kabukicho in Shinjuki whilst's 0's area Soutenbori in Osaka is Doutembori. The other games have other cities but those two are the popular ones.

Opa-Pa

I'm just hyped to see Kaoru again.

Like I was so sure she'd at least appear in Ishin again but... nope even on that front. I really do wonder what the deal is for the writing team with her. Not like they didn't retain some of the characters from Yakuza 2 onwards either.

My guess is that they don't want to remind us Kazuma once had an actually well written and developed
romance with someone, because hostesses and stuff.
Same reason they got rid of her in the most anticlimactic way back in 3 :(

But yeah, I agree, I can't wait to see her again. She's one of my favorite characters in the series.

Scotia

Banned
Hey guys, hopefully this a good place to put this but I just wanted to share my thoughts on Kiwami. If this isn't the best place for this then I'll move my post as soon as I can.

Also, there's some heavy Kiwami spoilers in this, so watch out.

•Absolutely loved the game. 0 is still better, but I still think this is a strong game
•Felt it was a tad short compared to 0 but it didn't bother me that much
•It felt like a great continuation of 0's story and the added cutscenes were great
•Ultimately I feel like adding 0's styles was rather pointless but I see why they did it
•The Bosses recharging health is bullshit and I hope it never comes back
•Liked a lot of the characters in this but feel like some were pretty much tossed aside for long periods of time (
Shinji
is probably the best example of this)
•
Nishiki turned out to be a fantastic villain. I was a bit skeptical after seeing how much of a bro he was in 0, but Jesus Christ he turned out to be an evil bastard in this game
•
The added Nishiki cutscenes really helped in this regard. I heard from luce that they weren't in the original game and I couldn't believe it. They're so good in explaining how Nishiki turned into the man he became (I also felt genuinely sorry for him. The guy escaped jail only to have an arguably harder time than Kiryu did)
•
Yumi was great, for the little time you see her, and I honestly don't get why she wasn't in 0. I really feel like I could have liked her more if we'd known her prior to Kiwami
•I loved Haruka in this. Probably the most mature and likeable kid I've ever seen in a game
•Majima everywhere is great but Majima really shone in the story cutscenes he was in. I wished he was in the story more
•
Didn't expect Shimano to go the way he did. Felt almost anticlimactic, but his boss fight prior to that was great
•I much preferred the XP way of levelling up mainly because I could still buy what I wanted without worrying about levelling up
•
Felt that Jingu was very thrown in towards the end of the story. Kinda felt like it took away from Nishiki slightly. The dude was fucking evil though.
•The supporting characters were pretty good in this game, thought Date stood out mainly for me. I liked the Florist but felt that we didn't know much about him despite
the whole thing with his son.
Hopefully that's explored more in other games
•Felt the sub-stories were kind of lacking compared to 0, imo. I haven't done all of them (so I can't say this with 100% certainty), but a lot of the sub-stories I did revolved around Kiryu being scammed and then beating up said scammer to make them stop/get his money back. 0 had a lot of unique and hilarious sub-stories so this was kind of disappointing to me
•Liked Kiryu quite a lot in this game. I loved him in 0 but appreciated his maturity in this game.
He didn't do things for himself in this game and you could tell characters like Kazuma, Yumi and Haruka do that to him
•
Speaking of Kazuma and Yumi, HOLY SHIT Kiryu loses a lot in this game. He loses his mentor, his close friends, his role as a Yakuza, his best friend and the love of his life in this game. Kiryu's got it fucking rough in this game, man

I think that's all I've got for now, but if there's anything more I might add it later. All in all, I'll probably give Kiwami a 9/10. It was a great game, but 0 is a better product imo. I'm literally about to start Yakuza 3 now, so when I finish that I'll post my thoughts on it here as well. Thanks for reading!

Hey guys, hopefully this a good place to put this but I just wanted to share my thoughts on Kiwami. If this isn't the best place for this then I'll move my post as soon as I can.

Also, there's some heavy Kiwami spoilers in this, so watch out.

Yeah, Haruka remains one of my favourite characters in any game. She gets some genuinely brilliant/hilarious scenes in the game (and series in general). I love how her character evolves throughout the series.

The Florist does get extra screen time and development (especially in Yakuza 2).

Don't worry, they axe the silly health regen thing in Yakuza 6. Boss battles in general feel more streamlined, there are some really great ones in 6.

Just keep in mind most side stories in the game are unaltered from the original game, and unlike the later games in the series where they really improved things and made them into little slices of Kamuracho life they are more just about fighting and getting easy XP. Though at least they do add some decent new ones for Kiwami.

My guess is that they don't want to remind us Kazuma once had an actually well written and developed
romance with someone, because hostesses and stuff.
Same reason they got rid of her in the most anticlimactic way back in 3 :(

But yeah, I agree, I can't wait to see her again. She's one of my favorite characters in the series.

Well written and developed ? Am I the only one who thought it was (small spoiler)
cliché and even stupidly sexist at one point when suddenly she couldn't save herself from some thugs without her mighty hero
?

Opa-Pa

Oh of course, I do have my issues with Kaoru's character and her independence in the game's plot, but I thought the way their relationship developed was very genuine and unexpected. Though I guess those go hand in hand.

I thought Kazuma's personality simply wouldn't allow for him to ever get close to anyone again, so it legitimately took me by surprise too, haha.

I think that's all I've got for now, but if there's anything more I might add it later. All in all, I'll probably give Kiwami a 9/10. It was a great game, but 0 is a better product imo. I'm literally about to start Yakuza 3 now, so when I finish that I'll post my thoughts on it here as well. Thanks for reading!
Enjoyed those impressions!

Now I'm just anxious to see if Yakuza 3 makes you cry.
Because it made me cry.

IrishNinja

SHIT YEAH won that Majima figure for $31 shipped on ebay today! thank you, sniping tools

also i dare not hope for Ishin but man that'd be amazing

Jawmuncher

Even the used copies seemed to have jumped up in price when it comes to Yakuza 3. They were hoving around 22-25 a few weeks ago and after the Kiwami 2 news are all basically 30+ (Unless you have a local gamestop with a used copy).

I'd like to play it. But I'm not looking to jump through hurdles in the second hand market to play it. Might just wait and see if they bring it over as a HD port. Though the only issue i'll face then is if they release 3-5 all on one disc. Since then i'm looking at $60 just for one game. Though it'd be nice if they did quick rerelease's of those 3 titles and sold them all seperately for $20 much like capcom did with RE 4-6.

Scotia

Banned
I'm enjoying Yakuza 3 so far but this golf mini-game makes me want to blow my brains out.

UPDATE: Took like 100 attempts, but I am victorious;

tHXvZ2Cr.jpg

IrishNinja

^you're a madman, haha...i couldn't even finish the darts requirements in 3, and i got really got at hat tricks! fuck, those requirements get brutal

Mesharey

I guess I need more Yakuza now, gonna start Y3 today lol.

I gave it a shot when it came out years ago but didn't continue.

After 0 and Kiwami, I like the series now.

How long is it?
Anything I should know? I just played 0 and Kiwami.

Top Bottom