• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Luce, I wanted to ask. What's up with your avatar LOL?
Well it's a bit of a story.

Basically, I'm (somewhat) of a fan of SFV. But I got in a but of an "anti-Capcpom" rut. I used to have my avatar be that of F.A.N.G, the SFV character but I changed it to Ugly Chun-Li, who was shown pre-release for Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite.

Ug-Li:

EDIT: There was also a brief period where I used an avatar of Orchid, the Killer Instinct character with the face of Ug-Li. But that was a dark period.

Then my "interest" in SFV got reignited with the character reveal of Abigail. He is a very slow lumbering character, but has incredible range and VERY high damage so I got excited. But I had grown attached to Ug-Li so I kept Ug-Li. A very gracious member of NeoGAF however, offered to combine the two avatars to form a travesty beautiful avatar for me to show off.

Abigail:
abg.png

So combining the two characters, we got the unholy combination.

Ug-Ligail:
G9TUCYR.png

I was quite fond of this avatar until recently, when I started playing SFV again and it reignited my love for F.A.N.G. I decided to switch my avatar back to him until a fellow SFV-GAF poster turned my avatar green for you see I love the character She-Hulk and her lack of inclusion in the game Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite had me quite heated. I had voiced my displeasure in the thread but it was not enough so I decided to change to my current green Chun Hulk avatar as a silent protest against Capcpom and Marvel until they realize their grave error and add the best character from (U)MvC3 into Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite.

Big One

Banned
Oh my god, playing through Kiwami is such a pain.
I hate myself for getting so invested to these digital characters. My god my entire day is ruined.
Heavy spoiler:
Shinji and REINA. WHY.

I played for almost 4 hours in one sitting because the story was so intense.
Yeah playing Yakuza 1/Kiwami for the first time made me appreciate all the characters I was introduced in 0 first that didn't have much involvement with the plot such as Shimano, Reina, and etc. 0 really gave the story from Yakuza 1 a lot more depth and context to it. Though i'm curious why Yumi was left out of 0 as a character you could interact with in some capacity. Also as I'm playing Yakuza 2, I also find it strange Dojima's wife never made an appearance in Yakuza 0 was well (then again, maybe he didn't marry her until after the events of the game).

Also as I'm playing Yakuza 2, I also find it strange Dojima's wife never made an appearance in Yakuza 0 was well (then again, maybe he didn't marry her until after the events of the game).
He was already married lol. You're forgetting Daigo was already a kid and was in Yakuza 0.

MattAces

Yeah playing Yakuza 1/Kiwami for the first time made me appreciate all the characters I was introduced in 0 first that didn't have much involvement with the plot such as Shimano, Reina, and etc. 0 really gave the story from Yakuza 1 a lot more depth and context to it. Though i'm curious why Yumi was left out of 0 as a character you could interact with in some capacity. Also as I'm playing Yakuza 2, I also find it strange Dojima's wife never made an appearance in Yakuza 0 was well (then again, maybe he didn't marry her until after the events of the game).

Yep, Daigo was in Yakuza 0. There were some characters that confuses me because they never appear in 0, therefore I had to wiki them and often I just get spoiled with information so I stop doing that.
I love this series so god damn much. I might try to look for a cheap PS3 so I can play 3, 4, 5.

Mesharey

Yep, Daigo was in Yakuza 0. There were some characters that confuses me because they never appear in 0, therefore I had to wiki them and often I just get spoiled with information so I stop doing that.
I love this series so god damn much. I might try to look for a cheap PS3 so I can play 3, 4, 5.
I just played 3, 4, 5 recently, it was worth it, 3 was so outdated though but the story was good, 4 was amazing, and 5 was really good too but kinda long.

Yo luce fuck yo Abigail and Season 2, those characters made life a waking nightmare for Zangief mains

I know the feeling. I really should put more effort into playing SFV, but I have a real rough time as Gief against some of the characters (can't stand shoto's, and Guile should just fuck off forever). Still love the game though, enjoyed playing around a bit with Abigail.

Can someone tell me why Akiyama is so rich in Y4? Did he make so much money with the cabaret?

it's explained in 4 but for the sake of answering,
Akiyama used to be a banker before he was fired for a fraudulent transfer he had no part in, became homeless and was there when the money from the 10 Billion Yen vault started raining down, he got as much money as he could then invested in some daytrading and was successful due to his financial savy.

I have returned after a few months. Just like Kiryu did after 10 years.

Kiwami being 30$ = i ended up with 7 copies across EU and US including gifts and shit lol.

Now to order the Geo Kiwami 2 steelbook.

Yup, Binary Domain is still just as good as I remembered it goddamn it we need a sequel.

Rymuth, you really should make a thread shilling that game to all the newcomers the Yakuza series has gotten.

Gacha-pin

Is there an item that can show me the substories in the map in Yakuza 4?

There isn't such an item in 4 but there is a guy who is a journalist or something like that drinking at Shellac tells you points of interests in Kabukicho. He is useful if you don't want to use a guide.

Yakuza 6's substories have been amazing so far. Only done about ten or so, but I already feel like these might end up being the best in the series. I won't spoil them, but lets just say the writers had some real fun here :p

I'm getting used to the combat, too. It's not as deep as 0, but there's still a lot of cool stuff you can do. I just worked out that you get different combo strings depending on where Kiryu is facing, so for example the Square Square Triangle Triangle combo is different if you do Square Square, then turn 180 degrees, then hit Triangle Triangle. There's a sick axe kick and some hot spinning manoeuvres if you play around with changing directions mid-combo. There's also a beautiful suplex Heat action if you stun a guy on the ground and hit Triangle from behind him in Ultimate Heat mode.

Malrend

Playing Kiwami and seeing the early interactions between Ryu and Majima, makes me happy that I played through 0 first.

A lot of what Majima says, vaguely references his entire story arc in 0, and while it wouldn't take any enjoyment away if I hadn't played 0 first, I am definitely getting more out of it now.

Yu Narukami

I'm almost at the end of Y4. I'm going to take a break before I start Y5. Besides the game is still at 40 bucks. I'm not cheap but knowing that it was a few bucks only a few months ago definitely hurts. But knowing me I'll probably bite at full price anyway. Kiryu is too cool.

Big One

Banned
So I finally finished Yakuza 2. Bygod that whole end sequence. There was some genuinely surprising stuff there too.

The way things ended up, Yakuza 2 really feels like it could be it for Kiryu (even though I know it isn't). Pretty much everything starting from 0 to 2 has been resolved outside of Saejima. Of course, I know Saejima is actually introduced in Yakuza 4 so it'll be a bit before it get there, but from a narrative standpoint Yakuza 0 -> Kiwami -> Kiwami 2 is going to be an amazing trilogy of games in narrative and in gameplay.

Though I'm kind of pissed since I'm hearing that
Kaoru disappears forever at the beginning of Yakuza 3 wtf.

So I finally finished Yakuza 2. Bygod that whole end sequence. There was some genuinely surprising stuff there too.

The way things ended up, Yakuza 2 really feels like it could be it for Kiryu (even though I know it isn't). Pretty much everything starting from 0 to 2 has been resolved outside of Saejima. Of course, I know Saejima is actually introduced in Yakuza 4 so it'll be a bit before it get there, but from a narrative standpoint Yakuza 0 -> Kiwami -> Kiwami 2 is going to be an amazing trilogy of games in narrative and in gameplay.

Though I'm kind of pissed since I'm hearing that
Kaoru disappears forever at the beginning of Yakuza 5 wtf.

Disappears
forever at the beginning of Yakuza 3. She gets a job out of country and Kiryu is an understanding man who would rather see the love of his life fulfill her dreams than be "saddled" with him.

Best bachelor ever.

Big One

Banned
Disappears
forever at the beginning of Yakuza 3. She gets a job out of country and Kiryu is an understanding man who would rather see the love of his life fulfill her dreams than be "saddled" with him.

Best bachelor ever.
To clarify I did mean Yakuza 3, lol. But yeah that's a real bummer. I feel like everything you could possibly do with Kiryu has more or less be done between 0, Kiwami, and 2 in my playthroughs of them.

Big One

Banned
Literally the only unresolved plotline left between these three games is Saejima and Daigo becoming Chairman. And yeah, I know both of them eventually get resolved, but I feel like anything else is more or less fluff to the lore unless they plan on introducing more Yakuza mega-groups like Tojo and Omi Alliance. I'm still looking forward to play these games regardless as 4, 5, and 6 in particular look like fantastic games in their own right.

They made the right call adding new protagonists to Y4 and Y5. It really allowed them to tell new stories because I'm sure they felt the same way you do, in that they've really used up all the fresh ideas they can keep throwing at Kiryu.

So who was the one who ordered an attack at
kiryu in the prison?
Also who assassinated
sera?
The first question is answered in a substory that you should play.

I don't think it was mentioned who actually
pulled the trigger but it was Nishiki who killed him, on the "orders" of Jingu.

MattAces

The first question is answered in a substory that you should play.

I don't think it was mentioned who actually
pulled the trigger but it was Nishiki who killed him, on the "orders" of Jingu.

Ouuu now I'm excited to get back into it again.
I'm really glad how strong Haruka was, if she was depressed or crying in the end, I would've lost it. She being so brave and strong was just, happy tears.
Also I'm very happy with how they wrap it up, they didn't pull the classic bullshit of Nishiki ended up turning good and call Kiryu "Kyodai" or something, he was still half ass hole

I really appreciate Breath of the Wild after playing deep story games like these. Yakuza 0 and Kiwami story are so god damn stressful, every single second of it, it's bad for my health and emotion.
BOTW story is so stupid and it's all gameplay. Relax, walk and kill stuff. Never cared who die or any characters at all.

All the Yakuza games manage to get you to care about the characters. Its probably the strongest positive in the games in terms of story. Even when you have some questionable plot points used, I still mostly end up loving the characters used in each game. Plus the way they build them up from one game to the next is great. Its like a TV show in that regard, with even super minor characters get plot development over several games.

MattAces

All the Yakuza games manage to get you to care about the characters. Its probably the strongest positive in the games in terms of story. Even when you have some questionable plot points used, I still mostly end up loving the characters used in each game. Plus the way they build them up from one game to the next is great. Its like a TV show in that regard, with even super minor characters get plot development over several games.

It's unbelievable how good the character building is in the 2 games I've played. In 0, I was like, okay these 3 lieutenant dicks, gonna hate them, ended up loving them.
In Kiwami, Shinji was a new character, didn't care about him. Few hours later, okay I love this guy a lot.
And Oh fuck. I'm sad again.
At least my boy Yuya is alright.

MattAces

You met Shinji in 0

What Gacha-pin said.

Boy, you really need to do those substories more buddy.

God damn it most of the substory I've done are just funny stuff, somehow missed all of the important ones. Definitely will return to finish more stuff because I started Kiwami after finishing five billionaire and cabaret club.
I was simultaneously playing like 4 games at that time. Mario + Rabbids, Kingdom Hearts BBS, DJMAX and Yakuza 0.

I mean, no one has to play all the substories if they just want to experience the main story.

They offer pretty strong content though.

I love the substories, they made the game world feels alive. But there's way too many of them and I was kind of focusing on story and moved on.

Also is there a secret ending or secret scene for doing every substories/collectibles?

Every Yakuza game has a
n incredibly difficult boss fight who usually is the last substory, unlocked after completing
all other substories. It's a lot more
bullshit than every other bossfight in the game so come equipped with plenty of equipped gear and healing items.

Nothing about collectibles, with the exception I suppose of the Platinum but that's a different thing.

Top Bottom