• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Yakuza 4 was just...

3jGKmc1.gif
3jGKmc1.gif
3jGKmc1.gif
3jGKmc1.gif

robotrock

Banned
Here's a question that I debated whether or not to spoiler tag:
why do they completely ignore Stardust after Yakuza 3? Yuya and Kazuki are bros, man.

End of Y4.
Shouldn't Daigo have resigned of his position for what he did? Also Majima is still his BFF at the end?
He was doing what he did because he thought what was best for the clan and to an extent, he was kinda right.

But Kiryu reminded him that "bitch, you're yakuza that shit isn't gonna fly"

Majima
doesn't give a shit, as long as he gets to keep his property and one eye and his best buddy Saejima.

Yu Narukami

Man I already miss Yakuza. Finished 3 games in a month. But I'm taking a break now before playing 5. I'm going to play something less mind blowing.
Nier.

MattAces

Can I make Haruka follow me again in Premium adventure?
Also aside from Karaoke, what activity can you do with Haruka?

Edit: Looks like premium adventure has a lengthy quest for Haruka, woohoo!

Big One

Banned
I seriously believe Yakuza 0 -> Kiwami -> Kiwami 2 might just go down as one of gaming's greatest trilogies. All three games are going to compliment each other, especially since Kiwami 2 is actually dragging it some plotpoints from 0 into it's storyline as well to ties things together. After playing Yakuza 2 I'm seriously hyped to seeing the reaction it's going to get from a post-Yakuza Zero world.

robotrock

Banned
I seriously believe Yakuza 0 -> Kiwami -> Kiwami 2 might just go down as one of gaming's greatest trilogies. All three games are going to compliment each other, especially since Kiwami 2 is actually dragging it some plotpoints from 0 into it's storyline as well to ties things together. After playing Yakuza 2 I'm seriously hyped to seeing the reaction it's going to get from a post-Yakuza Zero world.

I think maybe a few pages ago you asked me about my Yakuza series order, but I never got around to answering it.

Basically I played Yakuza Zero in Feburary and loved the hell out of it, and then decided I needed more Yakuza. So I went to the logical next one: Yakuza 1. I don't have anyway to use my PS2 anymore so I went the emulator route, but I just could not do the English dub at all. So I went to try 2 on an emulator and I played about 30 minutes and decided it felt too "old" to actually play. So then I thought "well maybe I'll play Yakuza 3", but copies of that were $40+. I then realized I had Yakuza 4 downloaded via Playstation Plus years ago, so I ran through that and loved it. After, I started Yakuza 5 and finished the first act, but didn't end up finishing the whole game until the week before Kiwami.

After I finished Kiwami I decided to load up my extremely early Yakuza 2 save and for some reason the camera angles and screen transitions didn't annoy me anymore, so I ran through that game and fucking looooooooved it. Finally, after that, I went looking for copies of Yakuza 3 again but they were still way too much, so I
started a Gamefly trial and borrowed the game from them, and finished it in time to send it back without getting charged. I love Yakuza 3 now.

So, my playthrough order was 0>4>5>1>2>3, and I think my Yakuza quality rankings is 0=2>4>3>5>1. To bring the topic back to your post: I actually still really like Yakuza 1/Kiwami despite putting it at the last rank, but it does feel like a significant step down from 0, and 2 is just such a vast improvement over it. I don't know if I can get behind the sentiment that each entry is worthwhile for that trilogy, but I would agree that 0 and 2 can carry the hell out of it.

Big One

Banned
So, my playthrough order was 0>4>5>1>2>3, and I think my Yakuza quality rankings is 0=2>4>3>5>1. To bring the topic back to your post: I actually still really like Yakuza 1/Kiwami despite putting it at the last rank, but it does feel like a significant step down from 0, and 2 is just such a vast improvement over it. I don't know if I can get behind the sentiment that each entry is worthwhile for that trilogy, but I would agree that 0 and 2 can carry the hell out of it.
Well Yakuza 1/Kiwami is clearly the weak link of that group of games, however I think considering it brings closure to a lot of the plotpoints brought to the table in Yakuza 0 I genuinely felt it was needed for Kiryu's tragic character arc.

Yakuza 0 - Early beginnings, showcases how Kiryu became the Dragon of Dojima.
Yakuza 1 - A dark time in his life,
all of his friends and people he was close to dies, and he attains a new goal in life in Haruka.
Yakuza 2 -
Despite settling as a foster parent for Haruka, gets dragged back into the yakuza world with an impending war between the Tojo and Omi Alliance. Ends with a good resolution for everyone and he finally finds love in his life.

To me, that's literally the perfect character arc for Kiryu. He has a great start, then a tragic middle, but a largely happy ending (of course a lot of sad shit still happened, but Kiryu in the end got what he needed the most in life). So it'll be interesting to see how Yakuza 3-6 will handle Kiryu post Yakuza 2 for me in my playthroughs of them.

robotrock

Banned
Looking forward to your reactions and thoughts on the rest of the series, dude. I do think Yakuza 0 is fucking miraculous at how it seamlessly sets up so much stuff in the series without feeling like a shoehorned prequel. Like, I was pretty shocked when (Yakuza 1 spoilers)
I found out they fucking killed Nishki, Dojima, and Kazama, man. I was so sold on the broship of Nishki and Kiryu, he was such a strong character in 0.

Yu Narukami

Looking forward to your reactions and thoughts on the rest of the series, dude. I do think Yakuza 0 is fucking miraculous at how it seamlessly sets up so much stuff in the series without feeling like a shoehorned prequel. Like, I was pretty shocked when (Yakuza 1 spoilers)
I found out they fucking killed Nishki, Dojima, and Kazama, man. I was so sold on the broship of Nishki and Kiryu, he was such a strong character in 0.
Kiwami spoiler.
The Kazama scene was so sad. Even though he killed his parents he is the only parent Kiryu ever had. I really felt for him.

is there any trick to getting a ghost koi in Y5? Ive been doing this a couple hours now. Im in sotenbori at night, im pretty sure it has to be night regardless of where you do it? Is another location better? Ive been using club sandwiches

Edit: FINALLY got it. Did nothing different, just complete luck

Dmax3901

So I finished (and reviewed) Yakuza 0 and Kiwami this year, but after watching the Kiwami 2 gameplay trailer I've gone back to 0 to finish up the Cabaret and Real Estate stuff. Man is this game great.

I don't want to platinum either game, but is there anything I should make sure to do before putting these two games back on the shelf? An example of what I mean is that I never got into the RC racing in 0 and then did a substory in Kiwami where it had a bunch of flashbacks that meant nothing to me, so now I want to go back and check out the RC racing.

Any similar things that will have payoffs in later games? Or that are just must-do stories/activities?

Mesharey

I'd recommend doing all the substories for both, and 100%ing the Real Estate/Cabaret Club for Yakuza 0.
Yep, the RC was worth it too and fun.

I was the same, got those flashbacks and then went to play it.

In Kiwami, there's an important side mission about Dojima's wife, I think you need to visit the florist.

The substories won't take a long time and they're worth it, you can use an item that will display the location for them.

Dmax3901

I'd recommend doing all the substories for both, and 100%ing the Real Estate/Cabaret Club for Yakuza 0.

Yep, the RC was worth it too and fun.

I was the same, got those flashbacks and then went to play it.

In Kiwami, there's an important side mission about Dojima's wife, I think you need to visit the florist.

The substories won't take a long time and they're worth it, you can use an item that will display the location for them.

Guys the idea was to streamline my time with these games not make it longer!

haha, man probably gonna do it though.

Larsa

That's a wrap on Yakuza 6 and Kiryu Kazuma's story. Feels really weird after all these years.

In some ways this game is a true sequel to 5, in that the story is borderline absurd and barely coherent but still entertaining. I really don't know how Yokoyama somehow managed to write the best story, Yakuza 0, between 5 and 6 lol.

It still contained great character work though (I love the Hiroshima boys) and powerful emotional beats that really got to me.I am somwhat fine with the ending as an end to Kiryu's tale even if it doesn't feel completely earned. Tone of the ending -
It's fucking bittersweet though, dear lord.

It's gonna be a goddamn crime if Tatsuro Yamashita songs are cut from the western release like it always happens with licensed music in this series. They feel extremely vital to this game and are used really well.

The game itself was fun as hell and refreshing to play, Fully voiced substories are a fucking revelation and the best change this series has made The cities rendered in the Dragon engine are just so incredibly beautiful and seamless. Performance wasn't as bad as I had feared, even on a base PS4. Kamurocho at night is where the game struggles the most, but it feels worth it with all the insane lighting that's going on. There's a lot of problems with the new fighting system that hopefully will get ironed out in Kiwami 2, but I don't ever want to go back (looking at you Hokuto ga Gotoku...).

Gacha-pin

That's a wrap on Yakuza 6 and Kiryu Kazuma's story. Feels really weird after all these years.

In some ways this game is a true sequel to 5, in that the story is borderline absurd and barely coherent but still entertaining. I really don't know how Yokoyama somehow managed to write the best story, Yakuza 0, between 5 and 6 lol.

It still contained great character work though (I love the Hiroshima boys) and powerful emotional beats that really got to me.I am fine with the ending as an end to Kiryu's tale even if it doesn't feel completely earned.

It's gonna be a goddamn crime if Tatsuro Yamashita songs are cut from the western release like it always happens with licensed music in this series. They feel extremely vital to this game and are used really well.

The game itself was fun as hell and refreshing to play, Fully voiced substories are a fucking revelation and the best change this series has made The cities rendered in the Dragon engine are just so incredibly beautiful and seamless. Performance wasn't as bad as I had feared, even on a base PS4. Kamurocho at night is where the game struggles the most, but it feels worth it with all the insane lighting that's going on. There's a lot of problems with the new fighting system that hopefully will get ironed out in Kiwami 2, but I don't ever want to go back (looking at you Hokuto ga Gotoku...).

He explained it like he had hard times to bring some fans fav characters to the stories as the series went by.
Blame Majima and Haruka fan

That's what I've been saying for a while. They will get cut (going by past actions by Sega) and its gonna be a crying shame :(

What did you think of
the final boss? I thought it was the worst choice and just a crime to end Kiryu's story on. He was the biggest nobody in the entire series... it still annoys me even 10 months later since finishing the game! Someya would have been the better end boss with some story retooling, I loved his character and his last fight, some epic stuff.

That said the ending scene where Kiryu and Haruto are both shown walking was the best scene in the entire game. Loved it. Almost made that end boss fight worth it!

Yeah, its a fantastic trilogy. Got three of my favourite casts of villains across the three games, with only Yakuza 3 coming close with Mine. I'm doing a replay of the trilogy at the moment. Just finished 0 this past month, almost ready to start with Kiwami sometime this month and then it'll be onto Kiwami 2. Should be epic!

Yu Narukami

I played a couple of hours of Nier yesterday but all I really want is to continue playing the Kiryu saga with Y5. It's like watching a season of your favourite TV show.

MattAces

Anybody here played Yakuza 6?
Please semi-spoil me on one thing.
I accidentally read/watch youtube video about a child.
So apparently it's Haruka's child? WHAT THE FUCK.
It's really messing with my brain and I really need to know it to free myself, was the dad at least a good guy or was it a tragic story about Haruka got the baby again?

Anybody here played Yakuza 6?
Please semi-spoil me on one thing.
I accidentally read/watch youtube video about a child.
So apparently it's Haruka's child? WHAT THE FUCK.
It's really messing with my brain and I really need to know it to free myself, was the dad at least a good guy or was it a tragic story about Haruka got the baby again?

Short answer to your question:

Yes, its Haruka's child

Longer, more spoilery answer (you've been warned)

Haruka flees Okinawa due to her association with Kiryu and the Yakuza (despite Kiryu being ex Yakuza) in the aftermath of Yakuza 5's story.

She ends up in Hiroshima and befriends a number of locals. One of which is the clueless member of the local Yakuza - Yuta. By some miracle he actually manages to sleep with her and... well you get the picture.
However, Yuta's bloodline is a complicated issue - its explained more in 6 but I won't spoil that for you, that bit is actually really interesting) so Beat Takeshi's character helps Haruka keep the secret from Yuta.
Haruka returns to Kamuracho and gets caught in the cross fire of a rather dangerous gang war that includes the Tojo Clan, Chinese Mafia and Korean Mafia. And her baby - Haruto is at the centre of all the problems.

She ends up injured and its up to Kiryu to figure out this mystery.

Oh, and there is also another mystery focusing around Hiroshima, but I won't spoil that, mainly because its so ridiculous that you must see it for yourself.

Also, in relation to the thread posted above. People are really creepy when it comes down to getting attached to characters that aren't real...

MattAces

Short answer to your question:

Yes, its Haruka's child

Longer, more spoilery answer (you've been warned)

Haruka flees Okinawa due to her association with Kiryu and the Yakuza (despite Kiryu being ex Yakuza) in the aftermath of Yakuza 5's story.

She ends up in Hiroshima and befriends a number of locals. One of which is the clueless member of the local Yakuza - Yuta. By some miracle he actually manages to sleep with her and... well you get the picture.
However, Yuta's bloodline is a complicated issue - its explained more in 6 but I won't spoil that for you, that bit is actually really interesting) so Beat Takeshi's character helps Haruka keep the secret from Yuta.
Haruka returns to Kamuracho and gets caught in the cross fire of a rather dangerous gang war that includes the Tojo Clan, Chinese Mafia and Korean Mafia. And her baby - Haruto is at the centre of all the problems.

She ends up injured and its up to Kiryu to figure out this mystery.

Oh, and there is also another mystery focusing around Hiroshima, but I won't spoil that, mainly because its so ridiculous that you must see it for yourself.

All I need to know is, is he a good guy? Or at least not an ass hole who...
you know... rape her...
This is exactly my feeling honestly...
Is this what the feel of your daughter mess around with random guy?
This sucks.

I'm really considering dropping this series because it's too good, I'm too emotionally invested...

Also, in relation to the thread posted above. People are really creepy when it comes down to getting attached to characters that aren't real...
Ah yes, I'm known for doing that. Playing through Kingdom Hearts was very sad too until I realize nobody actually dies in that series, then I stop caring.
And YES, I really hate myself for getting too invested in everything

Additional: Something like Yakuza Kiwami, that whole
Yumi thing kind of disturbed me, well, at least they were lover once, I was expecting the twist to be Dojima's daughter

Larsa

What did you think of
the final boss? I thought it was the worst choice and just a crime to end Kiryu's story on. He was the biggest nobody in the entire series... it still annoys me even 10 months later since finishing the game! Someya would have been the better end boss with some story retooling, I loved his character and his last fight, some epic stuff.

That said the ending scene where Kiryu and Haruto are both shown walking was the best scene in the entire game. Loved it. Almost made that end boss fight worth it!

Y6
It was pretty fucking ridiculous and dumb. The scene where he rips his shirt off to show off his super ripped body and lame tattoo was probably the funniest scene in the game. At some thematic level I can appreciate the anticlimax and how much of an unlikable and uncharismatic nobody he was, but maybe not for Kiryu's final fight ever. I did really want to punch the shit out of him though,

Y6
It was pretty fucking ridiculous and dumb. The scene where he rips his shirt off to show off his super ripped body and lame tattoo was probably the funniest scene in the game. At some thematic level I can appreciate the anticlimax and how much of an unlikable and uncharismatic nobody he was, but maybe not for Kiryu's final fight ever. I did really want to punch the shit out of him though,

Yeah, I mean it was a satisfying fight for sure in terms of smashing his head in, but as Kiryu's finale? Nope, not a good way to end things purely in a plot sense.

All I need to know is, is he a good guy? Or at least not an ass hole who...
you know... rape her...
This is exactly my feeling honestly...

I'm really considering dropping this series because it's too good, I'm too emotionally invested...

Calm down, not worth dropping an awesome series over something fairly trivial ;) You'll miss out on too much good stuff. Heck, almost all the final few fights in 6 are pretty darn awesome, so to miss that stuff would be a great pity.

Anyway, to your main point
Yuta is a bit of a whiny jerk when the revelation happens, but after getting smacked around he manages to come to his senses and ultimately redeem himself - really pulls it out of the bag in the finale and has Kiryu's and Haruka's back in a pretty darn satisfying manor. Plus he does right by Haruka in the ending, which I was pleased with. Better than him being a deadbeat dad like Jingu...

And Yuta and Haruka have genuine feelings for each other - so no it wasn't anything disturbing like in your spoiler. That'd be too dark even for this game.

Hopefully with the next mainline game though things are a little more light hearted in places. Ichiban seems more like Akiyama in some ways personality wise from what I gathered, so hopefully that means the story won't be as dark as 6's was in places.

Yakuza 5, Saejima's chapter 3, and for the first time in my marathon, I'm straight up not having fun. How thought that first chapter was a good idea? Chapter 2 wasn't so bad but this Naruto-tier filler about the bear and the village in chapter 3 is getting on my nerves. It wouldn't be so bad as change of pace but after two linear chapters where you just go around talking to random NPCs it's infuriating. I want my classic Yakuza gameplay goddamit. :(

MattAces

Yeah, I mean it was a satisfying fight for sure in terms of smashing his head in, but as Kiryu's finale? Nope, not a good way to end things purely in a plot sense.

Calm down, not worth dropping an awesome series over something fairly trivial ;) You'll miss out on too much good stuff. Heck, almost all the final few fights in 6 are pretty darn awesome, so to miss that stuff would be a great pity.

Anyway, to your main point
Yuta is a bit of a whiny jerk when the revelation happens, but after getting smacked around he manages to come to his senses and ultimately redeem himself - really pulls it out of the bag in the finale and has Kiryu's and Haruka's back in a pretty darn satisfying manor. Plus he does right by Haruka in the ending, which I was pleased with. Better than him being a deadbeat dad like Jingu...

And Yuta and Haruka have genuine feelings for each other - so no it wasn't anything disturbing like in your spoiler. That'd be too dark even for this game.

Hopefully with the next mainline game though things are a little more light hearted in places. Ichiban seems more like Akiyama in some ways personality wise from what I gathered, so hopefully that means the story won't be as dark as 6's was in places.

Okay. You won't believe how relieved I am right now. And yes, I just want to say it again, I hate myself for having this habit.
In a way, getting spoiled by this will improve my experience when I'm playing Y6.
Or else I will be sitting infront of my PS4, probably playing 12 hours a day rushing through to know what happen. Now I can kind of progress in normal pace. Until of course there's an even more intense story in the game. I played through Kiwami and 0 final 20%-30% in one sitting because of how intense it was.

Ah, the age old discussion about Seijima's chapters. My stance is this: Chapter 1&2 should have been 1 condensed chapter without the weird dreams. I loved the actual characters and fights, but not the pace.

I did love the mountain town though. Love the vibe, absolutely loved the hunting to bits, love the city when you finally reach it. But looking at the sheer amount of content in the city, it really needed 2 chapters to handle it all, instead of 1.

Okay. You won't believe how relieved I am right now. And yes, I just want to say it again, I hate myself for having this habit.
In a way, getting spoiled by this will improve my experience when I'm playing Y6.
Or else I will be sitting infront of my PS4, probably playing 12 hours a day rushing through to know what happen. Now I can kind of progress in normal pace. Until of course there's an even more intense story in the game. I played through Kiwami and 0 final 20%-30% in one sitting because of how intense it was.

Now that I can relate to. It took all the restraint in the world for me to not spoil 6 when it was released. I did hit the main story more than previous games though, to get to the bottom of the mystery. Plus the game does feel more "urgent" where its subtly pushing you to the next story objective rather than mess around in the arcade!

i don't know how ya'll do it

like i spend 100+ hours on yakuza games i don't even plat

granted i drink heavily but still

Well I do think they are pretty much the best games ever in terms of content. Like no other game really comes close in that regard - side stories are often engaging (especially in later games) and doing them all rewards you with Amon, I love the combat and go after all the heat moves as it makes combat way more fun, I love the fighting arena (5 pushed it though!) and bar the odd exception I absolutely love the mini games on offer in each game - and really enjoy clearing all the in game challenges for each. That's topped off with a really awesome story in each game. Pretty much the only games these days (along with Mega Man) that I can replay over and over and never get bored.

MattAces

Also this statement. In both 0 and Kiwami, wasn't
Makoto
implied to be
sexually abused
to the point where she's blind and
Yumi was sexually assaulted and traumatized by the killing rapist incident...
Game is dark man... I signed up for Mesuking, bowling shits, and I got these...

Top Bottom