• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yasumi Matsuno joins Level 5, smaller scale games for all ages [Updated again]

Aeana

Jerk said:
Old joke.

And if Fimb did not also frequent this board, I would have no problem proclaiming myself as the man's biggest fan on Neogaf.
Well, now that Dragona isn't around anyway. But you'll still have to fight duckroll for it.

Codeblue

I had no idea Level-5 is viewed so negatively.

I always thought they were a first rate developer and really enjoyed their output. To each his own I guess. I'm pretty excited about this development.

Kalnos

Banned
I can't think of any game he has been a part of that I dislike, so I'm definitely interested regardless of the company.

Lesiroth

A shame, and just after Tactics Ogre proved a success in Japan, I was hoping it would lead to him working on new games in the series. Oh well, still slightly interested in whatever he's working at.
Jeanne d'Arc 2 led by Matsuno for the Vita? :O

Ra1den

I also am wondering what the hell a compact speedy game is. Matsuno is not somebody that should be working on them, from the sounds of it. I hope this shit is false.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Truth101 said:
You know, there is a 98% chance that he's developing a handheld game not a mobile game, shocker I know.
Could be, but I'd assume "compact speedy games" would be in the same vein as mobile games.

madara

Codeblue said:
I had no idea Level-5 is viewed so negatively.

I always thought they were a first rate developer and really enjoyed their output. To each his own I guess. I'm pretty excited about this development.

Aye I love their games too, not just the visuals. After all the flack Rogue Galaxy got here I was shocked just how much I enjoyed it.

Vamphuntr

I'm not fan of Matsuno's stories but I sure enjoy the games he made. There goes the chances of having a new Tactics Ogre.

Maybe he can make something good at Level 5? Right? Right? :(

GSR

This is pretty good news - Level-5, while a great company, seems to be churning out so many games that I'm astounded they can pull it off. They could use another big name to help direct things.

Enker

If it's true, wonderful news that Matsuno is back.

I can't see how he doesn't provide creative feedback on L5's other games, even if he isn't "directly involved" in them.

Well Level 5 kind of sucks. Hopefully ,if this is true, they allow him to make the kind of stuff he wants.

But lets be honest, they will just cancel it anyway or never finish it.

MoogPaul

I am officially PUMPED. The main problem I always had with Level 5 RPGs were scenario and over-all plot. This should fix that. I need more back room underhanded political dealings damnit!

Wait, didn't Level 5 make Layton, DQ 8/9, and Inazuma Eleven?

Why are they hated on? White Knight Story or whatever that game was?

Ra1den

Lard said:
They aren't. It's just COD fans in here being noisy because it's a Japanese developer.

Nope, more like Matsuno fans that feel he doesn't belong at an underwhelming company like Level-5. To be fair I haven't played every single one of their games, but the ones I have played have had remarkably repetitive gameplay and storylines and characters that were not even remotely engaging.

Aeana

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Wait, didn't Level 5 make Layton, DQ 8/9, and Inazuma Eleven?

Why are they hated on? White Knight Story or whatever that game was?
For Dragon Quest 8 and 9, the stuff that Level-5 is weak at (story, music, general game design) was handled by other people.

Ra1den

What's this bullshit about making games that his fan's nieces and nephews can enjoy? And Hino supposedly requested that he join the company, just so he could waste his talent making shit for pre-schoolers? Hino....!

Lard

Banned
Ra1den said:
Nope, more like Matsuno fans that feel he doesn't belong at an underwhelming company like Level-5. To be fair I haven't played every single one of their games, but the ones I have played have had remarkably repetitive gameplay and storylines and characters that were not even remotely engaging.

Neither was FF12.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Speaking of Level-5, how were the final impressions of Ninokuni?

That game looks like it has a lot of potential.

Ra1den

Lard said:
Neither was FF12.

FF12 had the best and most engaging gameplay of any Final Fantasy game, and the plot was good. The only weakness with FF12 was lack of character development( in a plot-sense, particularly when compared to prior FFs, but against RPGs in general they fare better)...but the characters themselves were likeable and well designed, both visually and conceptually.

I can't think of anything good to say about Level 5's RPGs other than some nice art design in certain places...and Nishiura is a very talented composer. Well and they do a good job of making their games look really fun, only to play them and find out the opposite. But I still haven't played Jeanne D'arc, which I plan on picking up sometime...so maybe I will become a fan eventually.

Phew, this should keep him away from Final Fantasy. Too bad for Level 5 though. Though it wouldn't bother me too much as long as he doesn't touch DQ or Dark Cloud if L5 decided to stop being butts and make 3 already.

Ra1den said:
FF12 had the best and most engaging gameplay of any Final Fantasy game, and the plot was good.

Yeah, I like XII but not even fucking close.

Even less so if you count the spinoffs.

It's also the weakest Ivalice story both due to not being finished and not even being entirely written by him.

cosmicblizzard said:
So you finally admit the superiority of Madworld?

ClVOG.gif

I edited it, so nya.

Top Bottom