• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yasumi Matsuno joins Level 5, smaller scale games for all ages [Updated again]

Vamphuntr

For what's it's worth I love FFXII. I'm replaying it right now (well the International for the first time) and it's still as entertaining as I remembered. The story is lacking but I really like the license board and the fact that you have a full set of equipment in this one (weapon, shield, armor and accessory). So many differents weapons, armors, magicks and summons to collect and hunts to do. The game has flaws (bazaar system, random chests) but I still enjoy the game more than the recent FF and Level 5 games.

randomkid

I think the reason why some folks on GAF dislike Level 5 games is because they're apparently all about the razzle dazzle. They've got really beautiful art and lovely music and unique premises and top tier talent associated with them (talking specifically about Layton, Ni no Kuni, Inazuma, and probably Jeanne d'Arc for existing games, Mystery Room, Fantasy Life, Time Travelers for upcoming games).

Where they seem to falter is mechanics and pacing. I'm speaking for other people here cuz I never had the slightest interest in their console RPGs, (Dark Cloud, White Knight and Rogue Galaxy). But apparently they're very slow and not sophisticated, so of course people who play RPGs primarily for combat or battle systems are gonna hate the games. (I got no excuses for the generic art and premises in those games though, seriously, it feels like console Level 5 is an entirely different company from handheld Level 5).

But for people like me who love the razzle dazzle and talent like Ghibli, Yoshitaka Amano, Yuzo Koshiro, Yasunori Mitsuda, Nobuo Uematsu and the unsung folks behind Layton, Level 5 feels like a godsend. I only played the first few hours of Ni no Kuni before giving up due to language issues but it's basically everything I want in an RPG this side of Megaten.

Edit: Oh and I also wanna give a shout out to Level 5 menus and sound design. Ni no Kuni and Layton have the best menus, icons, and cursor select sounds in the business!

Ra1den

I'd love to hear some examples of FF games with better GAMEPLAY than FF12. I can't think of any. I should mention that FF12 is not even among my top 3 favorite FF games, but that doesn't stop me from seeing the superiority of the gameplay to prior incarnations. That being said, FF12's gameplay design would not be a good fit with some of the prior FF games, so I'm not knocking the game design of those at all.

As for the plot, I never said it was excellent or mind blowing, but good. It did end very abruptly, which was disappointing. Even still, it is still way ahead of anything I've seen from level 5. And when you add in the gameplay for the total package, FF12 becomes light years ahead of anything I've played from Level 5.

BlueWord

I really can't see any downsides to this. Matsuno brings a lot of strength and talent to those areas where Level 5 usually displays weakness, namely gameplay and story.

Regardless, I'll buy whatever the guy puts out.

Lard

Banned
Ra1den said:
I'd love to hear some examples of FF games with better GAMEPLAY than FF12.

All of them.

Ra1den said:
As for the plot, I never said it was excellent or mind blowing, but good. It did end very abruptly, which was disappointing. Even still, it is still way ahead of anything I've seen from level 5. And when you add in the gameplay for the total package, FF12 becomes light years ahead of anything I've played from Level 5.

The dullest FF I have played. The only worse one is FF8 and that's only because of the ridiculous plot twist.

Mandoric

Banned
Pachael said:
First thing I thought : Gundam AGE x Matsuno would be glorious.

This would make both my working life and my gaming so much more awesome. I don't think karma would allow it, I've been a terrible person lately.

the fuck.....Level 5 haters?

YLC6e.gif

GhaleonQ said:
I'm sadly undereducated. Who were the names in the Quest-to-Square transfer apart from Matsuno?

I know:

Akihiko Yoshida(artist; still at square)

Hitoshi Sakimoto(composer; left square)

Masaharu Iwata(composer; left square)

Hiroshi Minagawa(artist; still at square)

dramatis

Lard said:
Moreso than FF12 playing the game for me, yes.
Let's not turn this into an FF12 argument thread.

Think about the possibilities of what he can at Level 5 instead, if this rumor turns out real.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Anasui Kishibe said:
the fuck.....Level 5 haters?

http://i.imgur.com/YLC6e.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
More like "sad people who are still expecting good Japanese games on consoles."

BlueWord

Fimbulvetr said:
I know:

Akihiko Yoshida(artist; still at square)

Hitoshi Sakimoto(composer; left square)

Masaharu Iwata(composer; left square)

Hiroshi Minagawa(artist; still at square)

What has Yoshida been working on, recently? Do we know? I know he was the art director on FFXIV, but I believe he was moved off in the restructuring.

It'd be great for him to go freelance, so he could continue working with Matsuno.

BlueWord said:
What has Yoshida been working on, recently? Do we know? I know he did some of the artwork for FFXIV, but he was moved off in the restructuring.

Moved off?

I thought he was the Art Director?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Brazil said:
More like "sad people who are still expecting good Japanese games on consoles."

There are still good japanese games on consoles

just not alot of japanese RPGs

BlueWord

Fimbulvetr said:
Moved off?

I thought he was the Art Director?

Sorry, missed my edit. I believe he was moved off; maybe I was mistaken?

edit: Looks like he was moved to Senior Concept Artist.

DaBuddaDa

SatelliteOfLove said:
Lord Matsuno's expressed interest in making new games, but only if they're small. Quite honestly, small games now means "Vita" and "3DS" which ain't
better to fucking GOD not be
cell phones.
I think he meant he dislikes the pressures and work involved in having to lead huge teams of 100+ people, and the games he wants to make in the future will be with smaller, more intimate teams and projects, more similar to the original Tactics Ogre days.

Ra1den

Lard said:
Moreso than FF12 playing the game for me, yes.

It did not play the game for you. It saved you from the tedium of selecting Attack>Attack>Attack from a menu over and over again against weak enemies. Overall, player input was just as important as it was in previous FFs.

And with the Gambit system, the battle system got some depth that was sorely lacking in prior FF battle systems. Unless you consider using your best attack over and over and healing when needed to be "depth."

But yeah we are getting off topic...anyway I see this as a win for Level-5, and a loss for Matsuno's fans. Maybe he will eventually go back to making his more typical games, one can only hope.

cosmicblizzard said:
Phew, this should keep him away from Final Fantasy. Too bad for Level 5 though. Though it wouldn't bother me too much as long as he doesn't touch DQ or Dark Cloud if L5 decided to stop being butts and make 3 already.

You do realize the ADB system wasn't created by Matsuno, right?

In fact I think it's the only game he's directed but not done the game design for.

And, just to shake your worldview even more, the guy who designed ADB(and was also a co-Director on XII) created the battle systems for VI and IX. BAM! Suck it!

sublimit

Banned
Screw the haters,i still love Level 5 even if WKC was a bit of a disappointment.I think a creator like Matsuno is exactly what they need (along with some good character modelers.)And i think it's too early to say on what kind of projects he'll be involved in the future.
I'm hyped.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ra1den said:
Bacause turn based random battles are just so much fun.

I don't want the pretend WRPG Final Fantasy gameplay touching the other Final Fantasies.

Aeana

Ra1den said:
Bacause turn based random battles are just so much fun.
I adore FF12, but yes, turn-based random battles are fun.

Also funny to see people hating on Matsuno because of FF12's battle system, not realizing it was created by Hiroyuki Ito, the same person who created ATB and the FF job system.

jiggle said:
He'll be working not on massive productions, but compact games that can be released in a speedy fashion.
No.

No...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NeededSleep

Make True fantasy online happen!
I love level 5 just i wish north america saw more of its games. i really want to play the Inazuma eleven games

thetrin said:
Oh shit. Matsuno has sunk to shit tier.

ftfy :/

Aeana said:
duckroll on suicide watch.
Put down the knife, man.

We will find duckroll and kev in death much like they were in life: coated head to foot in man-tears and clasped tightly to one another's bosoms in careful execution of Matsuno's instructions

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
jiggle said:
He'll be working not on massive productions, but compact games that can be released in a speedy fashion. His first Level-5 game is being described as something that his fans' nieces and nephews can enjoy.

well that's disappointing
what a waste of his talent

My thoughts exactly. I'm not the biggest fan of the guy, but the games industry needs someone like him, delivering on the kinds of games he is known for (serious, heavy political drama with arcane and unique systems).

DaBuddaDa said:
I think he meant he dislikes the pressures and work involved in having to lead huge teams of 100+ people, and the games he wants to make in the future will be with smaller, more intimate teams and projects, more similar to the original Tactics Ogre days.

Exactly as both OPs said, and that's a GOOD thing as his genious is so married to his vision and it being brought forth as is.

Kalnos

Banned
ULTROS! said:
I don't want the pretend WRPG Final Fantasy gameplay touching the other Final Fantasies.

Can you direct me to the WRPGs that play like FFXII, because I would actually really like to play them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Aeana said:
I adore FF12, but yes, turn-based random battles are fun.

Also funny to see people hating on Matsuno because of FF12's battle system, not realizing it was created by Hiroyuki Ito, the same person who created ATB and the FF job system.

That doesnt stop them from blaming everything wrong with Square on Noruma cause he has a belt fetish now does it?

Ra1den

ULTROS! said:

Like I said, I don't think it would be a good match for all of the prior titles. Would I want a battle system like FF12 in, say, FF7? Absolutely NOT. For this game though, given the way the game progresses and the way one traverses the world, it fit perfectly. I think one needs to place a given gameplay system into the context of that particular game.

Maybe I came across as bashing turn based games, which was not my intent. Most of my top games of all time are turn based JRPGs...and while the gameplay as a whole (exploration etc) is often enjoyable in turn based RPGs, the actual battling of random enemies is hard to call fun. Boss battles are an exception, of course.

HK-47 said:
That doesnt stop them from blaming everything wrong with Square on Noruma cause he has a belt fetish now does it?

And that one guy who claimed FF games having voice acting caused all other aspects of the series to dip in quality.

Aeana said:
the same person who created ATB and the FF job system.

And directed FF's 6 and 9, and expressed a desire to evolve the core ideas of ADB.

Problem, cosmic?

JStqQ.jpg

Piecake

Well, I sure hope they hired him to make mature, story focused handheld rpgs because only an idiot would hire a guy like Matsuno and have him make cell phone games for 10 year olds

Ra1den said:

Maybe I came across as bashing turn based games, which was not my intent. Most of my top games of all time are turn based JRPGs...and while the gameplay as a whole (exploration etc) is often enjoyable in turn based RPGs, the actual battling of random enemies is hard to call fun. Boss battles are an exception, of course.
No it's pretty easy to call the gameplay of something like FFX fun. Why the else would I play it if it wasn't?

NeededSleep

MetalSlime said:
I enjoyed Rogue Galaxy.

How about a sequel.

Rogue galaxy was great i loved the robot humor in it too.

I loved ff12's combat engine, i was really hoping ff14 was going to be like 12 just taken into a mmo world. Why couldn't they of used the same combat engine :(

so basically ogre series just died and square enix just lost the last bit of talent they had limited access to?

does matsuno like football? i can see him writing for inazuma eleven.

Ra1den

Gonaria said:
Well, I sure hope they hired him to make mature, story focused handheld rpgs because only an idiot would hire a guy like Matsuno and have him make cell phone games for 10 year olds

Indeed, looks to me like Hino is the biggest idiot of all time. Let's pray that this is just a temporary phase.

Kalnos

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
No it's pretty easy to call the gameplay of something like FFX fun. Why the else would I play it if it wasn't?

I think he's really trying to make the point about the random battles more than the battle system itself. I.E. saying that random battles are outdated.

Top Bottom