• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yes PSN is down [May Take Day Or Two... Or 57]

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Kyoufu said:
I like how PSN goes down for 2 days out of the 5 years it has existed and people call it a shit service.

No, actually is't not 2 days out of 5 years. There have been cases of 24 hour maintenance periods in the past too. Even though those were announced in advance, it was still annoying, but not unforgivable. In this case, PSN has been down for 3 straight days now. And they're saying they still don't know what the cause is, and it might take a day or two more to investigate.

Guess what? For many people, this is a long weekend, starting with Good Friday. It's a great time for many people to finally have time to play with friends due to the long holiday. Several big games with strong multiplayer content were also just released on the PS3. If it takes another 2 days to fix this outage, it means the entire weekend is blown. Fun times ruined.

Shit service, confirmed.

offshore

When Sony find out what the problem is, they really need to tell us what it was.

I think we deserve that much. Not just a "oh it's fixed now" post on the Blogs.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
LiK said:
You must've missed the ApocalyPS3.
I still can't get over how awesome and fitting that moniker was lol.

duckroll said:
No, actually is't not 2 days out of 5 years. There have been cases of 24 hour maintenance periods in the past too. Even though those were announced in advance, it was still annoying, but not unforgivable. In this case, PSN has been down for 3 straight days now. And they're saying they still don't know what the cause is, and it might take a day or two more to investigate.

Guess what? For many people, this is a long weekend, starting with Good Friday. It's a great time for many people to finally have time to play with friends due to the long holiday. Several big games with strong multiplayer content were also just released on the PS3. If it takes another 2 days to fix this outage, it means the entire weekend is blown. Fun times ruined.

Shit service, confirmed.
Cosigned.

duckroll

offshore said:
When Sony find out what the problem is, they really need to tell us what it was.

I think we deserve that much.

If they find out that it was a targeted attack, they should spend at least as much time, money, and effort to go after the culprits as they did with Geohot. Otherwise they're saying their customers aren't really that important.

Kyoufu said:
I like how PSN goes down for 2 days out of the 5 years it has existed and people call it a shit service.
If that was in reference to me I've explained my stance on it several times. It was a mixture of rage and the fact that since buying my PS3 at launch this is the only time I've needed the PSN to work and it hasn't.

So now I have my most anticipated game of the year sitting here, unplayable, with no idea how long I will have to wait on a weekend where I have no plans and hoped to spend most of my time playing it.

This isn't some fanboy bullshit, if XBL was to go down under the same circumstances I'd say the same thing. For me, it is a shit service because it's not working when I need it to.

web01

Sucks PSN is down but shit happens.
Not going to hurt anyone to go without PSN for a few days.
Plus the service is provided completely free of charge anyway its not like you paid money to access it. Calling it a shit service is completely ridiculous.

Deal with it.

Dead Man

duckroll said:
If they find out that it was a targeted attack, they should spend at least as much time, money, and effort to go after the culprits as they did with Geohot. Otherwise they're saying their customers aren't really that important.
I will not hold my breath.

web01 said:
Plus the service is provided completely free of charge anyway its not like you paid money to access it. Calling it a shit service is completely ridiculous.

Deal with it.
Actually, when you buy a multiplayer game, part of what you are buying is PSN access. It may not be a shit service, but long downtimes combined with poor communication are certainly not confidence building.

U2NUMB

Very annoying last night when I went home to watch some Hulu and was not able to. I can only imagine how flooded their phone lines have been as it only gives an error when trying to log in. Would have helped if they had some sort of message saying .. yea yea we know we are working on it.

I can also imagine the crap they are getting from every studio that has multiplayer based games ...

I am sure it is not fun over there right now. I guess it is times like this where it does pay to have access on 2 systems weather it be a good PC or a 360 on top of the PS3. At any time one of them could go down.

I think communication is the biggest issue really. While obviously I agree the outage is very frustrating, the lack of transparency from SCE is worse. It would just be nice to get a decent update. I appreciate their time might be better spent actually fixing the problem, but surely someone can hop on the PlayStation Blog and say something. Preferably more than just, "We're investigating the problem."

It would be nice if they gave us a detailed run-down of what they're doing, what they've discovered and what they're doing to fix it. I don't mind too much if they fucked up, it would be just nice if they said, "Look guys, we broke this and now we're working hard to fix it. Currently our engineers are doing this, this and this, and we're hopeful it will be resolved within the next 24 hours."

That kinda thing can't be hard, unless they genuinely don't know what's gone wrong. Which is worrying.

NHale

duckroll said:

Shit service, confirmed.

What? I was playing online this Wednesday evening...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
duckroll said:
Well, Anonymous has denied responsibility, and they usually don't shy away from claiming any credit for their work. Which means that whatever reason caused this outage my not a third party or external factors that Sony did not foresee, which is more a worrying issue, especially since up until yesterday they were "still investigating" the causes.

web01 said:

Deal with it.
But I have paid £35 for a game that was released on the day this went down.

A game that has been hyped for months because of the PSN/Steam crossover.

I have every right to be mad and view it as a shit service.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
web01 said:
Deal with it.
I will, by not purchasing any more multiplatform games for the PS3.
ngrXN.gif

verbum

Not connected to Amazon cloud storage problems (which was caused by the servers backing themselves up repeatedly until all the storage was used up)

Meanwhile 75million gamers were left frustrated after the PlayStation Network went down.
The outage, which is not believed to be connected to the Amazon problem, began at 9.30pm on Wednesday night.
The following morning, Patrick Seybold, the senior director of corporate communications and social media, wrote on the company's blog: 'While we are investigating the cause of the Network outage, we wanted to alert you that it may be a full day or two before we’re able to get the service completely back up and running.
'Thank you very much for your patience while we work to resolve this matter. Please stay tuned to this space for more details, and we’ll update you again as soon as we can.'
It's the latest in a string of problems for the network, which went down several times at the end of February and suffered outages throughout March.
Furious gamers left comments including 'I hope it's not related to those hackers. This has got to stop!'
The message referred to an attack by hacking outfit Anonymous - the same group which tried to take down Amazon last year - following Sony's lawsuit against another hacker, George Hotz.
But in a post on its Facebook page today, Anonymous wrote: 'ATTENTION: For everyone coming here complaining about the PSN or inquiring about it, We Do Not Know What Happened. This is not the work of Anonymous.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...station-Network-goes-AGAIN.html#ixzz1KG3ZkjaK

I am wondering if Portal and Steam interacting with PSN may have caused a problem with logins. I do not see how.

anddo0

web01 said:

Deal with it.

I'm not an online gamer. But I'm sure there are quite a few people out there that would disagree with you. Even those who don't play online are crippled by this.

What about all those Socom 4 players who can't play the game? It just f'n came out. Not to mention the CoD players, and people who play sports games exclusively online.

Free or not, people have the right to bitch. Online functionality is a huge part of the PS3 gaming experience. Sony hasn't even stated a valid reason for the outage. That constitutes shity service in my opinion.

erragal

NHale said:

Wednesday was hit or miss. I could log onto PSN on Wednesday night, but I couldn't utilize the Playstation Store at all; kept giving error messages when I would attempt to buy Arcana Heart 3.

brentech

offshore said:

I think we deserve that much. Not just a "oh it's fixed now" post on the Blogs.
Just as annoyed as anyone else, but what exactly does knowing what the problem was do for us?
Consumers going to magically prevent it from happening in the future because we know the culprit?

Regardless of what the problem is, I'll still just be like "oh, lame"..../plays games

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So I assume the PS3 is the only avenue for games around these parts?!?! Let's try some SP crap or play your PSP, 360, DS, Wii, or older consoles or grand PC games folks! I just bought the OB on PC so on top of the growing list of games on my list I can now play a great set of games on PC at max settings. LIVE A LITTLE!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Foliorum Viridum said:
For me, it is a shit service because it's not working when I need it to.

So you'd call it shit even if it was down for some regular maintenance?

It's like going to Japan on the earthquake day and call it a shit place cos the earth shakes.

It's called "accident". It sucks, but shit happens and to call the whole service shit is overreacting.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
LiquidMetal14 said:
So I assume the PS3 is the only avenue for games around these parts?!?! Let's try some SP crap or play your PSP, 360, DS, Wii, or older consoles or grand PC games folks! I just bought the OB on PC so on top of the growing list of games on my list I can now play a great set of games on PC at max settings. LIVE A LITTLE!
We're witnessing what may be the only instance LiquidMetal14 ever encouraged anyone to play a non-Sony platform in his entire GAF career. :lol

NHale said:

Wednesday afternoon was when problems started for me. I kept getting randomly logged out of PSN and even had my system reset itself while i was playing a game online. By Wednesday evening I couldn't get on PSN at all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wednesday evening was working fine for me. Thursday evening no chance of logging in at all.

Wasn't the day when PSN went down the same day Reddit, Foursqaure, Formspring and a couple of other big sites went down? Those are up now, but could the root cause be something on a greater scale than just PSN?

erragal

TTP said:

It's like going to Japan on the earthquake day and call it a shit place cos the earth shakes.

It's call "accident". It sucks, but shit happens and to call the whole service shit is overreacting.

First: Regular maintenence by most companies is done during offpeak hours on offpeak days. Not at the beginning of a long weekend after the release of several multiplayer titles.

Second: This is a really inaccurate example. Network infrastructure problems can often be prevented. Not that Sony is the type of company that will release any more information than they have to; they're just as likely to spread misinformation to avoid any negative PR than admit they may have had a serious hardware failure or some other preventable problem.

Third: All that said, it is an overreaction to call the entire service shit because of this. But it is frustrating for people that want to buy PSN only games or play multiplayer heavy titles when they can't. Generally that was part of the package when you bought into the PS3: an expectation of regular online service availability.

Trevelyon

Foliorum Viridum said:
I have every right to be mad and view it as a shit service.

Maybe step outside your frustration for a moment, and review your experiences with the service on whole and would you necessarily arrive at the same conclusion "it's a shit service"? If you do, then I feel sorry that you've had such a poor experience with PSN.

But hey, I've got a useless Portal 2 redeem coupon sitting right front of me too and I'm as mad as hell right now, but I'm not exactly as quick to condemn the service to fecal matter wholesale just because of this one instance of inconvenience, as frustrating as it, the service has been pretty damn good to me and a lot of people and for me to dog it out completely seems rather unfair and a tad reactionary, all things considered.

I get it, people are angry, they gotta vent, hopefully with hindsight being what is, people won't be so damning in their overall assessment of the service, and they can see this was a very unfortunate and untimely occurrence with inadequate customer communication on the back end.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This reminds me of when XBL crashed like over christmas break. Crappy! I just want to link my steam account with PS3!

TTP said:

It's called "accident". It sucks, but shit happens and to call the whole service shit is overreacting.
I've never bought a game on Steam and been denied playing it because of the online service being down.
I've never bought a game on 360 and been denied playing it because of the online service being down.
I've never bought a game on Wii and been denied playing it because of the online service being down.

I don't use PSN much despite having my PS3 since launch and this is the first time I've needed it. It's not working. I've never experienced that before. For me, personally, it's not doing what I need it to and is thus shit.

Of course it works for people most of the time and those who use it will see it as good, but for me personally that's not the case. It's like going to get some food at a place for the first time and having it be served to you cold. You can talk to all the people in the world who have gone before and say it's a great service, but you're still going to prefer the other restaurants that haven't let you down before and view that one as shit.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
erragal said:
First: Regular maintenence by most companies is done during offpeak hours on offpeak days. Not at the beginning of a long weekend after the release of several multiplayer titles.

I was not saying this is like regular maintenance. I was answering Foliorum Viridum complain that the service isn't working when he needs it to. That doesn't make it shit, regular maintenance or not.

LiK

Y2Kev said:
This reminds me of when XBL crashed like over christmas break. Crappy! I just want to link my steam account with PS3!
Yea, I wanna start dling my Mac copy of Portal 2 asap but guess not....

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've never bought a game on Steam and been denied playing it because of the online service being down.
I've never bought a game on 360 and been denied playing it because of the online service being down.
I've never bought a game on Wii and been denied playing it because of the online service being down.

I don't use PSN much despite having my PS3 since launch and this is the first time I've needed it. It's not working. I've never experienced that before. For me, personally, it's not doing what I need it to and is thus shit.

Of course it works for people most of the time and those who use it will see it as good, but for me personally that's not the case. It's like going to get some food at a place for the first time and having it be served to you cold. You can talk to all the people in the world who have gone before and say it's a great service, but you're still going to prefer the other restaurants that haven't let you down before and view that one as shit.

Seriously dude... you sound like a (little) bitch.

Dead Man

Y2Kev said:
Oh how I look forward to the future of all games having net based DRM, all DD and streaming based gaming! It will be great!!

/grumpy old bastard who just wanted to play some games with his mate who moved to London.

StuBurns

Banned
I feel bad for Valve, I have to imagine that an amount of new Steam users was estimated per sales numbers of the PS3 version, and that the number will be greatly diminished if the user isn't able to get into Steam the first time they try.

GodofWine

Im comforted by the fact that today we are having our driveway torn out and replaced with a slightly wider new one...they put the little flags out yesterday to let them know where the gas / electricity / cable / dsl lines are..the cable and dsl lines will be in the firing line of the wider driveway...and the verizon guy even knocked on the door to warn us it is 'shallow, 3-4 inches deep'...

So, im screwed either way, they are gonna obliterate that cable...so Im gonna be down for days regardless.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Seriously dude... you sound like a bitch.
Okay? I don't really care. I'm just explaining why I think PSN is shit. People keep acting like I'm trying to convince everyone that the service has no good elements, when my original statement was just from my perspective.

I didn't think it was that hard to understand.

Fuckin sucks, my phat PS3 is in its dying hours and I need to back up my saves and deactivate my PSN account today when my slim arrives. Can accounts be accessed at all? Is it just gameplay/store that's inaccessable?

Foliorum Viridum said:

You've been complaining for a whole day now with the exact same post. Might as well put your post in the OP and be done with it.

BackwardsSuggestions said:
You've been complaining for a whole day now with the exact same post. Might as well put your post in the OP and be done with it.
If people actually read my previous posts explaining my stance rather than continuing to challenge it I wouldn't have to, would I?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Foliorum Viridum said:
If people actually read my previous posts explaining my stance rather than continuing to challenge it I wouldn't have to, would I?
The fact of the matter is, it simply isn't possible to create a service that is 100% reliable 100% of the time. If you're intolerant of that you simply aren't being reasonable.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Okay? I don't really care. I'm just explaining why I think PSN is shit. People keep acting like I'm trying to convince everyone that the service has no good elements, when my original statement was just from my perspective.

I didn't think it was that hard to understand.

But I think we get it at this point and you can stop now. Honestly, go do something productive in the meantime. Hell, I just bought S4... yeah, I'm a little peeved I can't get online right now but hell if I'm going to whine about it all day.

Whatever dude, were all in the same boat. I don't know what to tell ya'.

web01 said:
Deal with it.

Hear that, folks? All of you who spent good money on the console, the games, and actually have the audacity to expect a functioning online service in spite of occasional maintenance announced in advance for a long holiday weekend need to suck it up and DEAL WITH IT.

Come on now...

dark10x said:
The fact of the matter is, it simply isn't possible to create a service that is 100% reliable 100% of the time. If you're intolerant of that you simply aren't being reasonable.
I don't expect it to be the perfect service, but I don't expect it to be downright broken on my first time using it. Like I said, it's different for people who have had years of good experiences, but I haven't.

This is seriously making me reconsider what games I buy on PS3 in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom