• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yet another rant about shitty PSN speeds and Sony incompetence

Derpcrawler

I know ranted about this a lot in other threads which was offtopic but I just can't take Sony BS anymore, I tried everything and still PSN works like shit for me. I don't know what to do. I live in China, so I have to resort to buying overpriced imports, waiting for oversea shipments or buying digital. I have both PS4 and Xbox One, as well as PS3/360/Vita. Not a single service including Uplay, Steam or Origin give me as much trouble as PSN. I really want to buy games on PSN despite shitty EU prices, but speeds just don't allow me when it takes 3 days to download average (20-25Gb) game. Recently I was buying games exclusively on Xbox One where I get 100-200Mbps speeds and it takes less than an hour to download 40-50Gb, Child of Light, Trials, Wolfenstein and Watch_Dogs just recent ones.

The only time I get at least 20-30Mbps from PS4 is when I route it through PC using private VPN, even then it's picky in terms of servers, my VPN provider has like 7 servers in Los Angeles through which I get 100-300Mbps, only 1 of them gives me 20-30Mbps on PSN while 200-400Mbps to other services like XBL or Steam, rest give me 3-4Mbps as my main connection (only PSN). How can Sony charge for their shitty service with such shitty CDN which is so picky on routing even to major exchange points and data centers? Watch Dogs was the last straw for me, wanted to download it on PS4, saw 47 hours remaining timer and just said screw it and bought digital version on Xbox One, took me less than 20 minutes to download there. I don't even want to talk about random bullshit maintenance that just D/C you from games, happened at least 5 times to me since launch in Nov where toast pop about PSN downtime and kicks me out of the game for 3-4 hours or more.

Xbox One and PC are both using Wi-Fi AC. I know 2.4Ghz is shitty, but it's not that shitty. Just switching my Wi-Fi adapter on PC to 2.4Ghz mode I still get 70-80Mbps. I actually said fuck it and bought 10m Ethernet cable just for the sake of testing PS4 on wired connection - there is zero difference, so if you going to say "Le Lol, Wi-Fi" or "Lol, shitty chinese internet" just don't bother, since I have decent connection and as I said switching to wire didn't change speeds at all.

Just a few pics so people won't call me a liar:

Xbox One
ylErsmV.jpg

PS4

My internet speeds to different locations:
Connection from PC to closest speedtest.net server:
3531713688.png

San Jose
3531717262.png

Los Angeles
3531720208.png

My private VPN speeds (server in LA) through which I tried using PSN:
3531725866.png

All test performed today (except Xbox One, but I think that is not necessary). Realistically is there a way to pressure Sony to fix this? I know, majority probably don't have as much problems, but it still sucks especially when you know for sure that it's Sony a fault here. They became really unresponsive to any criticism or suggestions after PS4 destroyed Xbox One in sales. It took them 6 months to allow us to dim lights on DS4, even though people were asking to allow them to turn it off completely.

On the separate note - didn't Sony learn anything? Why they cheapened out on 5Ghz? They are pushing 4K and all other BS like 1080p 3D streaming which requires bandwidth that 2.4Ghz can't provide. Even Wi-Fi AC in couple of years will become a bottleneck.

/rant

Edit (results):
I give up guys, I spent more than 400 bucks trying to fix this, first I bought power outlet adapters, same shit, slow ass speeds on PSN. Then I noticed that whenever AC kicks in networks go down with power adapters and gave Sony benefit of the doubt, so I finally went to my land lord asking to allow me to drill shit. He asked for 1200RMB (around 200 bucks) of compensation for "damage" to apartment + another 400RMB for hiring someone. So I got fucking wall drilled and brought router inside the room and connected my fiber modem from outside.

Zero (o, I mean ZERO) fucking difference. I officially give up, I already stopped buying non-exclusive games digitally on PS4 and buying imports. Now I just buy everything except for PS4 exclusives on Xbox One just because of this single "little" problem, despite Xbox One being 720p box with much worse multiform quality.

I can already see how Sony will get ridiculed in Chinese market when they will start selling PS4 in Fall, Xbox One is ready to be sold here and now, at least if looking at it network performance. And no, it's not Chinese servers, check latency in screenshots and videos, I checked sockets and connection XB1 maintaining it connects to IPs in Seattle and San Jose, not a single outgoing or incoming connection to China or Asia for that matter.

Wired test on both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kaD66ZcLak

Xbox One went from 119Mbps over Wi-Fi to 120-140Mbps, so not a huge change.

PS4 went from 3.5Mbps to 4.5Mbps.

That is it, thread can be closed. Unless other people who have similar problems want to vent their frustration.

PSN speeds on WiFi have always been hit and miss for me. For a while several years ago I was getting serious dial-up-esque speeds, then for some bizarre reason it jumped to basically the full speed of my connection. Then it jumped practically daily in a range between the full speed and half of it.

Same deal with the PS4. I started off with extremely shitty speeds, then jumped to basically full speed for a while, now it's always in between. I never have the issue with any other device. It's bizarre. I'm sure there's some super technical hitch I'm missing but I've never been able to unearth it. I even bought a new router (which admittedly isn't top of the line) since my old one was so old.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Maybe they don't have any servers in China because they don't release consoles in China.

farisr

Your first mistake, expecting PS4 wireless to give you decent speeds.

Go wired. Sony cheaped out on the wireless card. Give me around 2mbps through wireless (even with nearly 100% signal strength), whereas wired (through a switch, some 50 feet of ethernet cord etc) gives me 50+mbps.

Xbone's wireless is good.

Edit: Not getting better speeds through wired... gotta check the router settings then.

2nd Edit: Nvm, I think it's a server issue, as in being in china without the console officially being launched in China.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Maybe I don't know any better but speeds on PSN have always been serviceable. Nothing crippling a la BF4.

Also, even though your intentions may be good, ranting isn't going to get Sony to instantly get their shit together.

mellamoaaron

Neo Member
I know ranted about this a lot in other threads which was offtopic but I just can't take Sony BS anymore, I tried everything and still PSN works like shit for me. I don't know what to do. I live in China, so I have to resort to buying overpriced imports, waiting for oversea shipments or buying digital. I have both PS4 and Xbox One, as well as PS3/360/Vita. Not a single service including Uplay, Steam or Origin give me as much trouble as PSN. I really want to buy games on PSN despite shitty EU prices, but speeds just don't allow me when it takes 3 days to download average (20-25Gb) game. Recently I was buying games exclusively on Xbox One where I get 100-200Mbps speeds and it takes less than an hour to download 40-50Gb, Child of Light, Trials, Wolfenstein and Watch_Dogs just recent ones.

The only time I get at least 20-30Mbps from PS4 is when I route it through PC using private VPN, even then it's picky in terms of servers, my VPN provider has like 7 servers in Los Angeles through which I get 100-300Mbps, only 1 of them gives me 20-30Mbps on PSN while 200-400Mbps to other services like XBL or Steam, rest give me 3-4Mbps as my main connection (only PSN). How can Sony charge for their shitty service with such shitty CDN which is so picky on routing even to major exchange points and data centers? Watch Dogs was the last straw for me, wanted to download it on PS4, saw 47 hours remaining timer and just said screw it and bought digital version on Xbox One, took me less than 20 minutes to download there. I don't even want to talk about random bullshit maintenance that just D/C you from games, happened at least 5 times to me since launch in Nov where toast pop about PSN downtime and kicks me out of the game for 3-4 hours or more.

Xbox One and PC are both using Wi-Fi AC. I know 2.4Ghz is shitty, but it's not that shitty. Just switching my Wi-Fi adapter on PC to 2.4Ghz mode I still get 70-80Mbps. I actually said fuck it and bought 10m Ethernet cable just for the sake of testing PS4 on wired connection - there is zero difference, so if you going to say "Le Lol, Wi-Fi" or "Lol, shitty chinese internet" just don't bother, since I have decent connection and as I said switching to wire didn't change speeds at all.

Just a few pics so people won't call me a liar:

Xbox One

PS4

My internet speeds to different locations:

All test performed today (except Xbox One, but I think that is not necessary). Realistically is there a way to pressure Sony to fix this? I know, majority probably don't have as much problems, but it still sucks especially when you know for sure that it's Sony a fault here. They became really unresponsive to any criticism or suggestions after PS4 destroyed Xbox One in sales. It took them 6 months to allow us to dim lights on DS4, even though people were asking to allow them to turn it off completely.

On the separate note - didn't Sony learn anything? Why they cheapened out on 5Ghz? They are pushing 4K and all other BS like 1080p 3D streaming which requires bandwidth that 2.4Ghz can't provide. Even Wi-Fi AC in couple of years will become a bottleneck.

/rant

Hm, interesting. I've had no such problems with my PS4 downloads. Sorry you're experiencing this though.

Karthaugh

I wonder how results can vary so wildly. May it be something to do with particular ISPs or location? I always have slightly lower speed on my consoles but I get 72 out of my 80 mb download on PS4 (only 50-60 on PS3) but then you see things like this and it makes you wonder what could prompt such a difference.

It says quite clearly in the OP that he tried hardwiring the PS4, guys and gals

Might've helped for the PS4 screenshot to be of your wired tests though OP

Your intentions to use PSN are fine, just use a PSN service closer to you like Taiwan or Singapore.

You are going from China to LA to route traffic, and you're going to have a bad time.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
The most hilarious thing is, I still find people who says PSN is slower than XBL is a myth.

knitoe

Wired or get a wireless bridge. Console wifi chipsets will never be better than either.

Edit: And, yeah, I always find PSN speeds shitty.

Acorn

I was getting great speeds until like last week. Dropped to a crawl even though nothing changed and my Internet has been constant throughout.

todd360

I thought serious gamers always hardwired their consoles? Gaming over WiFi is always shit in comparison.

I have one Ethernet cord going to my room which I connect to my pc. I really should have got two. I didn't know ps4 wifi was going to be meh.

I don't think I can convince my dad to help me run another wire all the way up to my room haha

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I used to have horrible times with my PS3. To the point of being 12+ hours before a game was patched and playable. Absolutely ridiculous.

The PS4 however has been lightening fast, faster than my XB1.

co1onel

I've had little issues downloading stuff from PSN. Usually goes just as fast as on xbox. Now the eshop is another story, so many issues there.

Derpcrawler

What store are you trying to download from? Try the Hong Kong store.

I tried using HK store, but no difference. All content is duplicated on every CDN anyway, when I download from my PAL Store I actually download from US or TW node, depending if I use ISP or GoogleDNS. I found US a bit faster for me, but still shit overall.

d0nnie

Banned
I know ranted about this a lot in other threads which was offtopic but I just can't take Sony BS anymore, I tried everything and still PSN works like shit for me. I don't know what to do. I live in China....

Hmm, why would PSN be slower than XBL in China?

Derpcrawler

Your intentions to use PSN are fine, just use a PSN service closer to you like Taiwan or Singapore.

You are going from China to LA to route traffic, and you're going to have a bad time.

How is the speed results from OP are bad routing? And Steam/Origin/XBL seem to have 0 issues with that.

catmario

Download speed is different that it depends on your region.

In my region, Playstation platform was faster than XBOX platform overwhelmingly.

I don't know why the result is reversed than other people.

Azull

What about opening some ports on your router? You'd have to check on the PlayStation website for the exact ones though.

SnakeEyes

Banned

CLEEK

He OP, if you already use your PC as a proxy, you should be able to see the location of the CDN you get routed to. You might be going China > USA (VPN) > China, or something like that.

I'm in Australia. When I got a launch WiiU, the download speeds were terrible. Routed it through Privoxy to see what was going on, and saw that I was being sent to a CDN in Japan. They hadn't set up local CDN yet, or something was causing me to be routed to Asia. A while later, my speeds increased. I checked and found that I was being sent to a local CDN. My download speeds increased significantly. Minutes to download games, not hours.

Download speeds for PS3 have always been poor. Either my ISP or PSN must limit the speeds. Again, using Privoxy I could see that throttling was in place. The d/l speed would steadily increase, hit some limit, drop to zero, then repeat.

Vita and PS4 have been an entirely different experience. I have 30mbp cable, and both both Vita and PS4 give it a good work out. Haven't measured it accurately, but both seem to max out my connection, as long as I'm not downloading just after the store updates and its getting smashed.

Interesting. I haven't checked my PSN speeds but don't seem to have any issues. I haven't read/heard anywhere that's it's faster to download/install games on X1 over PS4....

USC-fan

Banned
Speed are okay for me in the states but PSN needs to stop going down like once a week for maintenance because i cannot play DCUO when PSN is down.

Not cool! Insane they have to bring down the network so much.

Simple solution for you: Powerline Ethernet Adapters. The greatest invention in the history of inventions :D

http://www.techradar.com/news/networking/powerline-networking-what-you-need-to-know-930691

While I am one of the largest proponents of that our lord powerline adapters, in this instance the individual already has wired internet to their room and simply needs to split it to multiple devices so a network switch would be a far better solution than even my dear powerline adapters

SmoothCB

Took me 5 days to download Wolfenstein in Beijing.

I've tried various methods of wireless and wired settings but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

But I did just find a place nearby where I can buy legit physical copies for around $60! I'll be getting Watch Dogs there today.

Minions

Some peoples ISPs are nerfing PSN, Live etc. I know for a fact college campuses and even apartments around them do. Pretty annoying but what are you going to do. Comcast is/was nerfing netflix until they paid so yeah.... That's net neutrality for you.

Top Bottom