• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida on Gaikai - 'our dream' is to..access to thousands of games'

spwolf

A couple of things to say about this:

First, they're talking right now about PS1/PS3/PS3 software on their cloud service.

Second, the infrastructural requirements on the consumer end would be the same for PS4 software as PS3, PS2, PS1. It's a video stream in the end. The richer fidelity of PS4 games would cost on the backend, but if as a consumer you have the local infrastructure to play PS1 or PS2 or PS3 games well off the cloud, you'd be able to play PS4 games well off the cloud too. But like I say, PS4 games haven't been name-checked in relation to this service...yet.

i think they are talking about PS3 games due to the type of service it could be - like Netflix, you dont get latest movies, but slightly old ones... otherwise, it will be easier for them to do PS4 games than PS3 ones.

KZObsessed

Being able to potentially stream every playstation game from PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, Vita, PS4 is one of the most exciting ideas I can think of. Accessing any playstation game at any time is something I'd pay a lot for. Don't expect to see it come to fruition for a few years though. These things always take time and they'll need permission from licensees like with digital distribution on PSN correct? In that case we'll probably never see every game but at least we'll get everything from Sony's first party devs along with most major third party releases.

Not sure what's stopping you from buying your PS4 games physically but I suppose complaining about it in a thread is lazier if nothing else.

Err, you do know that Sony's goal is to transition away from consoles right? There most likely won't be a PS5. It will be replaced by Sony Cloud Gaming service.

I don't think physical media will ever go anywhere, it's just getting ready to hit a weird transitional phase.

The reason it will stick around is mostly for novelty, but it's not happening yet. Eventually, you'll buy physical copies of your favorite media and they will come with a very nice box, booklet, stuff like that. It won't just be mass-produced to throw on the shelf like it is now, it will actually be a nice thing that you'll want to have around.
Are you trying to distract me from the inevitable horrors of the future or really starting to make me long for those times you described in the latter part of your post?

On a more serious note, I don't think that it'll happen either, at least not anytime soon. Even with Spotify, which has become extremely popular, basically everyone still puts out their music on CD. I just don't like the trend very much, since it alters the relationship between consumer and media considerably.

Honestly, I want them to be quiet about Gaikai until they have something to show. Because I'm getting de ja vous from when they made a big deal of remote play on PSP

Brera

Banned
Just one flaw in that problem.

Xbox live.

Gamers have proven they will pay over the odds just for basic access.

How much would you have to charge to make money and attract users? Is it worth the effort if you can just nickle and dime them?

Jac_Solar

I don't think physical media will ever go anywhere, it's just getting ready to hit a weird transitional phase.

The reason it will stick around is mostly for novelty, but it's not happening yet. Eventually, you'll buy physical copies of your favorite media and they will come with a very nice box, booklet, stuff like that. It won't just be mass-produced to throw on the shelf like it is now, it will actually be a nice thing that you'll want to have around.

This is an awesome point that I hadn't really considered.

ascii42

It does not look like they are jumping the gun like Onlive thank god. They using the Gaikai tech to first improve PSN and remote play while they work on the cloud gaming goal. And the Gaikai tech was already much better then Onlive.

And streaming PS2 games and especially PS1 games should be easier due to the low resolution.

Subscription prices need to mirror Streaming Video sites. $10 a month area.

If not many people simple wont be able to justify it.

Subscription prices need to mirror Streaming Video sites. $10 a month area.

If not many people simple wont be able to justify it.

Interesting. I think we'll see a multiple entry points as hinted in the interview.

$5 to stream a select number of titles per month, let's say 10, $10 to stream 20, and $15 to stream an unlimited amount of games per month.

Lime

Fuck game streaming.

• Input lag
  • compression artifacts,
  • no mods
  • no extra peripherals
  • no graphics options
  • no local file configs

My money and precious time won't touch that shit with a ten-foot pole.

ZoddGutts

I doubt that publishers would like the idea of a subscription model for their games. This would be a really unsteady business model for them.

Sony could at least put up their own first party games and IP's that they own like Dark Cloud, Wild Arms and Demon Soul's etc.

spwolf

Interesting. I think we'll see a multiple entry points as hinted in the interview.

$5 to stream a select number of titles per month, let's say 10, $10 to stream 20, and $15 to stream an unlimited amount of games per month.

maybe old games, but they wont let you stream all you can eat PS4 games for $15 per month... i would never buy another game in my life.

But PS3 for instance for $10 plus content you buy on PS4 for "free" as long as you are subscriber (plus you can play them offline of course at any time)... possibly rental PS4 games? But $3-$5 per day?

it is hard to understand right now, but otherwise new games are at least 3x more expensive than new movies... cant be same price as Netflix.

mooooose

Fuck game streaming.

• Input lag
  • compression artifacts,
  • no mods
  • no extra peripherals
  • no graphics options
  • no local file configs

Gaikai can run the game locally, I think.

I'd pay $60 a month for this service, the price of one game new.

Netflix of gaming.

Really the biggest thing I want is streaming of demos. Great PS+ feature...

How would this be priced? The games would have to be old, wouldn't they?

Sounds bad for everyone else (publishers) if their game was on GaiKai/PlayStream/ or whatever they want to call it, if you can go through so many games instantly.

Also, how do publishers get paid? How does it work, exactly?

maybe old games, but they wont let you stream all you can eat PS4 games for $15 per month... i would never buy another game in my life.

But PS3 for instance for $10 plus content you buy on PS4 for "free" as long as you are subscriber (plus you can play them offline of course at any time)... possibly rental PS4 games? But $3-$5 per day?

it is hard to understand right now, but otherwise new games are at least 3x more expensive than new movies... cant be same price as Netflix.

I doubt they'll offer PS4 games for at least 3 years. It will start with PS1, PS2 titles and will slowly grow to include PS3 and eventually older PS4 titles.

It will essentially follow the same path that Plus has followed. Start small but eventually expand to offer a great and incredibly valuable service.

Raonak

Banned
I assume PS5 is going to be a Netflix-style service where everything is released exclusively on the cloud, and people can tap into it from any device.

It's clear that thats where they're trying to position themselves, I think it's a very smart idea. IF sony can pull it off. I really do think it's the future, the netflix of gaming would be a very powerful dream for gamers.

PS+ was the first step in that direction, PS4 will continue in that direction.

I do think a future where "PlayStation" is an app you can download to your PC, your smartphone, your tablet, your TV, and you can use it to stream games to that device. A giant catalog of games regardless of hardware.

The future isn't here yet because frankly lots of people still have shit internet.

IrishNinja

i wanna be excited for the possibilities here, but so many of my favorite titles stand to slip through the cracks...i totally get the interest in this (both their end, and for many consumers) but its hard for me to get hyped at the implications: i'm going to pay for the right to access (some) of my software.

Slime

Banned
It's nice to dream. Unfortunately I don't realistically see this happening any time soon.

"7000 PS1 games will be available on PSN by the end of 2007" is still too fresh. At least they're not making any promises this time.

Of course it's his dream to do this but it will remain a dream.

There is zero chance that this will be rolled out world wide with an acceptable standard of service.

The world wide server and infrastructure costs would mean Sony having to eat losses for many many years to come.

It doesn't matter if you're willing to put down cold hard cash for your subscription. Unless there are many nearby in the same area willing to do the same you are likely to have to use far away server data centers which will severely compromise the quality of the service.

dab0ne

This whole idea of removing the barriers to content seems to be a vital one. People can just switch on a TV and watch a programme, but deciding to play a game can be an arduous process of finding it, downloading it, downloading updates … Do you think that can all be consigned to the past?

Absolutely. Yes. I find myself spending more time playing Vita games and I think part of the reason for that is it's immediate. I can stop at any time without quitting and it's instantaneous to start again. I don't have to quit out or reboot. It's wonderful. That's one part of immediacy – the other is waiting for downloads. That's ridiculous, that's crazy! We want to get out of this madness with PlayStation 4. The games are big, they're 50GB; download isn't instantaneous. So we're making purchase available from any device, so when you're at work, you can spend a couple of moments looking at PlayStation Store and choosing a game, and straight away it starts to download at home. It may take a couple of hours but that's okay because you're still at work.

Also, similarly to progressive download on some movie services, you don't have to wait for all the data to download before you start playing. Once you have the minimum amount of data downloaded you can begin the game, and while you play, the remaining data downloads. It takes some engineering input from developers so we're talking to the community. We're evangelising it.

Unless you want to reload a save in Sigma plus...ZING!! Seriously, I hope Gaikai is awesome but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

destrudo

Gaikai can run the game locally, I think.

I'd pay $60 a month for this service, the price of one game new.

Are you sure? They've talked about how they're looking to reduce latency for streaming games, but I'm not sure how that's possible. Even with proper infrastructure there's still the problem of having to send data over long distances. If there's even the slightest bit of noticeable lag, I have no interest in that kind of service. After using OnLive I can't imagine streaming ever replacing retail or digital downloads. I'm honestly more interested in the idea of playing games as they're downloading.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Basically this. I'll likely leave the hobby for the most part.

You'll leave something you like because you can't touch the piece of silicone for 2 seconds while you are inserting it into your consoles where it's hidden for hours?

Some people are weird.

Fuck game streaming.

• Input lag
  • compression artifacts,
    [*]no mods
    [*]no extra peripherals
    [*]no graphics options
    [*]no local file configs

We're talking game consoles here

Other tests were equally polarising when it came to seeing how well Gaikai fared when put up against games running on the Xbox 360 and natively on PC. Sometimes we got some incredibly good results: playing Bulletstorm, we found controller response to be slightly slower than the 360 game, but sometimes it hit parity - a truly remarkable achievement.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-gaikai-vs-onlive

this "cloud gaming doesn't work" stuff needs to stop

Terrell

Speaking of "dreams" and "hopes" makes it tough to see this as a legit backwards compatibility option.
Subscription fees to play games less than 5 years old kinda seals the deal.

And as for it being a gaming Spotify? Until I see subscription pricing and implementation, I have reservations about how well it would work. An a la carte setup seems like it would be a lot more cost-effective in the long term, so hopefully this is offered on top of re-working the permanent-download PS Classics, not a replacement for it. But right now, everything Sony is saying indicates the latter being the more likely scenario.

Omikaru

Are you sure? They've talked about how they're looking to reduce latency for streaming games, but I'm not sure how that's possible. Even with proper infrastructure there's still the problem of having to send data over long distances. If there's even the slightest bit of noticeable lag, I have no interest in that kind of service. After using OnLive I can't imagine streaming ever replacing retail or digital downloads. I'm honestly more interested in the idea of playing games as they're downloading.

Just before Sony bought them out, Gaikai were working on a feature that let you stream the game as the first chunk of it downloaded in the background. Once that chunk was downloaded, the game was supposed to seamlessly transition from cloud to your hardware and let you play locally as it downloaded the rest. I remember seeing a video with them demonstrating the tech with FIFA, and now we're seeing a lot of that tech being directly implemented into PS4.

I think people in Gaikai probably realised that an all cloud future that some people say is going to eventually happen is implausible for a number of reasons (lag, scale, long-term costs, reach, and so on), and probably decided that their technology would be as Gabe Newell said: better as a feature of a much broader system than a product in its own right. I totally agree that device intelligence needs to be on the edge of the network (i.e. local smart devices running software) rather than centralised, as cloud gaming is.

That also kind of explains the sale to SCE, where it would be incorporated as part of a bigger picture. If Gaikai thought they could go it alone with a cloud-only product, they'd still be independent now.

You'll leave something you like because you can't touch the piece of silicone for 2 seconds while you are inserting it into your consoles where it's hidden for hours?

Some people are weird.

It's more than that. There's also the consumer rights angle, and game preservation angle. I just don't like ceding control of my purchases to a company. At least when you download games, the code is there on your hard drive. At some point in the future, someone is going to crack it and make sure those games are never lost. With cloud gaming, once newer server hardware adds incompatibility with older games, expect them to be pulled from your library without any choice in the matter.

I think if my only option was playing it on the cloud, I'd probably find a new hobby too. As it stands, I'm not particularly worried about cloud gaming, and I think it'll never be the one-size-fits-all future that some people proclaim it to be.

IrishNinja

It's nice to dream. Unfortunately I don't realistically see this happening any time soon.

"7000 PS1 games will be available on PSN by the end of 2007" is still too fresh. At least they're not making any promises this time.

wait, was that a specific quote? damn, and to think tretton would be at e3 later that gen talking about not releasing too many quality PSX games for fear of chasing off other developers.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
It's more than that. There's also the consumer rights angle, and game preservation angle. I just don't like ceding control of my purchases to a company. At least when you download games, the code is there on your hard drive. At some point in the future, someone is going to crack it and make sure those games are never lost. With cloud gaming, once newer server hardware adds incompatibility with older games, expect them to be pulled from your library without any choice in the matter.

I think if my only option was playing it on the cloud, I'd probably find a new hobby too. As it stands, I'm not particularly worried about cloud gaming, and I think it'll never be the one-size-fits-all future that some people proclaim it to be.

I get the consumer rights angle, personally I am not worried, but I understand the concerns.

But game preservation? Going all digital is the ONLY way we have somewhat decent game preservation. All physical media fails some day, digital stuff will never fail. As long as we have software pirates, we don't need to worry about companies locking games away and never unlocking them. Yes, cloud gaming would essenatially take that from the realm of possibilty. But I don't think cloud gaming is going to replace home consoles / PC. What Sony is doing is offering these games the only feasable way. I can respect that.

Omikaru

I get the consumer rights angle, personally I am not worried, but I understand the concerns.

But game preservation? Going all digital is the ONLY way we have somewhat decent game preservation. All physical media fails some day, digital stuff will never fail. As long as we have software pirates, we don't need to worry about companies locking games away and never unlocking them. Yes, cloud gaming would essenatially take that from the realm of possibilty. But I don't think cloud gaming is going to replace home consoles / PC. What Sony is doing is offering these games the only feasable way. I can respect that.

I have no issues with digital downloads, and I understand that it enables many games that retail/discs would not. Digital downloads can also be preserved, whether that's on the original hardware they were downloaded to, or extracted and decrypted somehow by hackers in the future. Don't get me wrong, I love DD and think it's the best thing to happen to this industry from a creative standpoint. I have a massive Steam library, a massive PSN library, games downloaded to my 3DS and Wii U, and when I had an Xbox 360 I was an avid XBLA fan.

My concerns about game preservation rest entirely with the cloud, and with games that rely on server-side services that can be switched off or taken away.

Again, though, I'm not worried about the cloud. I see it as a feature of a broader system, not a product. It's never going to replace local play, especially since powerful hardware is getting smaller and cheaper for the end user at a rate that the guys running the cloud servers probably cannot keep up with.

vivftp

If Sony takes Gaikai to the level where it is the "Netflix if gaming", you can bet your ass you'll see an app for it on all internet enabled Bravia TVs along with the ability to pair a PS4 controller. If they can get other TV manufacturers to get on board with this to make it something like the PS certified mobile devices, then Sony could own the living room simply because most/all newer internet enabled TVs will have their gaming platform accessible. It doesn't even need to stop there as it could expand to blurays, computers, phones, tablets... anything with a web browser since that's the way Gaikai works.

I've long since hoped that Sony would make a video service that was more like Netflix rather than the pay-per-use option that is Video Unlimited. With Gaikai, maybe they will do that. I'm hoping they can have one service package where you get music, video and gaming for unlimited use on one account. It'd be VERY expensive compared to current options, of course (they could also have them seperate too, naturally) but I think I'd be willing to shell out for that.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I have no issues with digital downloads, and I understand that it enables many games that retail/discs would not. Digital downloads can also be preserved, whether that's on the original hardware they were downloaded to, or extracted and decrypted somehow by hackers in the future. Don't get me wrong, I love DD and think it's the best thing to happen to this industry from a creative standpoint. I have a massive Steam library, a massive PSN library, games downloaded to my 3DS and Wii U, and when I had an Xbox 360 I was an avid XBLA fan.

My concerns about game preservation rest entirely with the cloud, and with games that rely on server-side services that can be switched off or taken away.

Again, though, I'm not worried about the cloud. I see it as a feature of a broader system, not a product. It's never going to replace local play, especially since powerful hardware is getting smaller and cheaper for the end user at a rate that the guys running the cloud servers probably cannot keep up with.

That's how I see it as well

mooooose

Yeah, using Gaikai downloader. I think. I could be wrong but it seems like it sends enough of the game to run and it loads assets over the internet, and then stores them to the HDD. They could do that. I saw them FIFA, what I assumed locally, in 30 seconds.

Mononoke

Banned
Fuck game streaming.

• Input lag
  • compression artifacts,
  • no mods
  • no extra peripherals
  • no graphics options
  • no local file configs

With no backwards compatibility, does this rules out a PS4 for you? Or you just going to hang on to your PS3?

androvsky

Yeah, using Gaikai downloader. I think. I could be wrong but it seems like it sends enough of the game to run and it loads assets over the internet, and then stores them to the HDD. They could do that. I saw them FIFA, what I assumed locally, in 30 seconds.

That only works if the local system can run the code, which in the case of streaming PS3 games to anything other than a PS3 isn't going to happen. Otherwise, Sony was talking about exactly that for loading PS4 games. It's mentioned in the OP, and Yoshida says it requires some developer work, so it's probably not going to work with anything other than PS4 games.

Man people jump to conclusions fast. If and when streaming games become viable I do not see that becoming the only method of playing games. Sony also said they see a long future of physical media still, partially because they gain so much from their blu ray format and retailer relationships. Also like Spotify I could a streaming service offering the ability to download to the device for better performance and offline usage.

I'd love a feature through Gaikai that allowed people to drop in and watch movies with you. They can obviously do this as they seem to be doing the drop in through games.

onQ123

Posted yet?

About PS4: David Perry shares details

About PS4: David Perry shares details

You've never heard of Gaikai? Find out how PlayStation Network and the Gaikai technology will change the way you play forever.

You might not even know who David Perry, but he knows how much you love video games. He also knows how valuable your time is, and that many games are even better when your friends are one of the party. And that's why his company Gaikai is now also part of the PlayStation family. The technology developed by his team is an important part of PlayStation 4 and allows as Perry has revealed on the PlayStation Meeting 2013, on the road to play together with friends. Find out more.

Test content as you desire

Check out any game on the PlayStation Store without waiting. You do not have to wait for from a game that you would like to get my hands on for ages, a demo will be released, nor that the download of this demo is finished, before you can play. Perry said at the unveiling of PS4 in New York that he has always been a big fan of the concept, some free to play, share it if you like someone, and to pay only for the games, in which one is really in love.

If a game on the PlayStation Store arouses your interest, you can with one touch immediately so that play (1). Are you still undecided after playing, you look best on you, how many PlayStation Network friends have also downloaded the title (2). In addition, you also many other contents are displayed, such as videos, where friends play the game (3).

Part of your success

Do you know that moment when you finally defeat the final boss, after you've already failed ten times before? If you like herumhüpfst wild with joy, but then notice that there is no one with whom you can share your triumph? Thanks to the cooperation with some of the major social networks like Facebook and Ustream you do not have to celebrate alone. Just post a video clip of your opening (1). Take on the challenge when a friend your high score exceeds (2). Or be the first of your clique who discovers a new world - and make a screenshot to prove it (3).

Download the world to you

"Would not it be cool if you could ask a friend with a difficult level, over the Internet to control your controller and to help you?" Asked Perry to PlayStation Meeting 2013. PS4 makes it possible.

If you are the "Share button" pressing on the DUALSHOCK 4, your friends can experience the game live (1). Do you feel that you are no longer stuck, you can just have a friend who has already mastered the game, ask them to stand in for you (2) or to give you helpful items such as health packs. Your friends can also post comments on your screen (3) and give advice so you (or tell you her brutally honest opinion about your skills) - provided you invite them to join. And you have not even playing the same game to chat.

Away from the TV

Via remote play, it is possible to play PlayStation 4 games over a wireless Internet connection on PlayStation Vita. Our goal is to make as good as any PS4 Title with PS Vita compatible. PS Vita Perry called "the ultimate companion device for PS4". If the TV is already occupied in the living room, you can easily play your transfer to the portable device and continue playing there.

With your tablet or smartphone you always stay well informed of it, so what is happening with your friends. There are both your full name (1) as well as your online ID used - just like in your favorite social networks - and you can see which games your friends have now under their spell (2). Whenever your friends make something cool, is being held in the clips and images (3).

"'Everything everywhere', that is the goal, the PlayStation has set his team," said Perry before the international gaming press. And we are sure that this goal PS4 more than fulfilled. You want to know more about the future of PlayStation? On eu.playstation.com/ps4 and PlayStation.Blog at blog.de.playstation.com we keep you constantly about all the news to PS4 to date.

Into

I would hope Sony is the one who can do this right and offer a massive library of games since Nintendo cannot/wont, and prefer to release a few games a month instead.

I also hope Sony would strike some sort of deal with Sega and just bring everything Sega related on it as well, not select few games, everything under the sun, Master System to Dreamcast.

The only games that would be impossible are the licensed games i imagine

Top Bottom