• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida's top 10 games of the generation, is fan of Sony titles

Theecliff

Banned
Sorry, but this looks like a list for PR. It feels like a very safe Playstation's greatest hits list. He could have thrown in a bone like Minecraft or Angry Bird or something.
That list is PR not an honest list.
You guys should probably listen to the podcast in the OP. You can tell he genuinely likes these games by listening to what he's saying about them. Hell, he's practically tearing up at the end talking about Journey.

Well, that certainly is a list of Sony games.
dont be hating son...'-)

I would only add Valkyria Chronicles, Ratchet and Clank, Mass Effect series to the list personally, and take out Gta5 and COD, and both SOuls series while very different, weren't both my favorite experiences.

Did you guys think he'd put Gears of War on the list? C'mon man!

Didn't even play half of those. GTA V should be higher it's REALLY good. Uncharted 2 deserves kudos for having one of the best stories I ever saw in a video game.

You haven't played half of them but you know where GTAV should be on the list?

Teletraan1

Banned
Did they ever fix the Walking Dead saves issue? If they didn't then all the people saying "No walking Dead Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!" should stop.

Shinta

Banned
You should probably listen to the podcast in the OP. You can tell he genuinely likes these games by listening to what he's saying about them. Hell, he's practically tearing up at the end talking about Journey.

Not practically. He's blatantly in tears.

Oppo

My hopes for a continuation of the Pain franchise have been dashed, like so many Havoc-enabled ragdoll mannequins

That list is PR not an honest list.
what? How many users would have the same list? What are you talking about? HOw are you going to judge someone's preference? You have no idea what is likes are. Just because Sony makes good games he's biased -_-

Sounds shapes, Journey, Pixel Junk Monsters, and SF4 are my favorite games this generation. Has nothing to do with most of them being on PS, that's just my taste. Don't be hating on Yosh's taste just because he didn't list a mario game lol...

RMI

Banned
No Walking Dead :(

It's his list of GAMES.

anyway just kiddin', I'm glad that Demon's/Dark Souls is up there, though I would move them up to the top slot.

Also think it's mad hilarious how people are scrutinizing this dude's list. I mean jesus christ let the man like whatever he wants without obsessing over it like psychopaths.

Number 2 and 3 is a lie.

We all know Yoshida hated Demon's Souls.

He thought it wouldn't sell and was broken. But when it did sell, on Atlus's watch, he probably went back and reavaluated it.
[and maybe, secretly developing a ps4 bound demon's soul sequel with Miyazaki at the helm is at the root of his change of heart....?]

J-Tier

After listening to the podcast, I can't bring myself to make a passing sarcastic comment.

He genuinely likes those games that he listed.

willybobo

Banned
Yoshi's top 10 games of all time:

10. Yoshi
9. Yoshi's Story
8. Yoshi's Universal Gravitation
7. Yoshi Touch & Go
6. Yoshi's Island DS
5. Yoshi's Cookie
4. Yoshi's Safari
3. Tetris Attack
2. Super Mario World 2
1. Super Mario World

adixon

Just listened to it, was fun. Recommended to fellow gaffers. Some highlights:

GTAV is at 9 now but he's only put about 4 hours in due to recent deadlines keeping him busy. He's loved it so far, he talks about it for a while. At the end he says it might move up in the rankings.

He says between work and home he's put 130+ hours in Dark Souls. He also says the asynchronous multiplayer in the Souls games, along with the fun of watching other people play on youtube, was an important influence on the ps4's design. (Streaming games seems like the obvious connection).

And yeah, he gets emotional talking about Journey :)

Empty

yeah you should definitely listen to his explanations. they're great and well thought out.

his journey description especially. very beautiful ;_;

it's pretty funny that he calls out uncharted 2 and call of duty 4 having a negative influence with other people badly copying them

also huh that's where nick suttner has been hiding. i was surprised when i heard his voice.

1. Journey
  2. Demon’s Souls/Dark Souls (tie for #2 and #3)
  3. Demon’s Souls/Dark Souls (tie for #2 and #3)
  4. The Last of Us
  5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  6. Sound Shapes (Favorite PS Vita game)
  7. Persona 4: The Golden
  8. LittleBigPlanet
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
sEwQe.gif

Doesn't get enough love

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Great list. Listening to Shu talk about games and the passion he has for them makes me really happy. I can't help but grin ear to ear when listening to him talk about them.

Laughing at all the people saying 'terrible list' and 'Sony Fanboy'. Who made the damn list? The head of Sony Worldwide Studios.
You think Major Nelson would list playstation games in his top 10? Geez, build a bridge and get over it.

That's a pretty good list.

It really is. It does look a little artificial given most of them are Sony games, but on the whole that's a very believable list. If I were him I'd have thrown an Alan Wake or Halo Reach or Mario Galaxy in for a slight perception of impartiality though.

LegoArmo

Says a lot that he made a list with that many Sony games and it would be completely acceptable even if he didn't work for them.

As President of SCEWWS, and thus a man with incredible influence over a potential Demon's Souls II, it pleases me greatly that he holds the first in such high regard.

Laughing at all the people saying 'terrible list' and 'Sony Fanboy'. Who made the damn list? The head of Sony Worldwide Studios.
You think Major Nelson would list playstation games in his top 10? Geez, build a bridge and get over it.

It's hilarious that people think Yoshida must have an objective opinion here. He probably isn't the least bit interested in what other consoles offer.

antitrop

Horrible list. I could maybe agree with 3 of those but if we were being limited to 10 choices then I don't even know if I would put all 3 (gta 5, cod 4, TLoU) in the top 10.
Yeah, but your list would probably include Alpha Protocol, so there's that.

Top Bottom