• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshio Sakamoto and the future of Metroid

jimi_dini

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;142472908 said:
Maybe you think Nerd culture exists but Metroid is his "daughter" not his waifu.

All those ass-shots in Other M say otherwise. Unless of course Sakamoto is into that.

Started playing it again last night.

Still don't understand the reaction to the game at all.

Seems to flow from "BibleThump my lore" onwards.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I don't understand when people say they don't want Sakamoto on Metroid.

Pretty much everything he's made other than Other M was fantastic. Gamers are very WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY sometimes. It's confusing.

Other M was really that terrible.

Sakamoto knows what perfect level design means, he just wanted to make a bad Metroid game for whatever reason.
For me the story is not even the biggest problem in the game.

Layell

There are plenty of gameplay related reasons Other M was horrible, we don't even need to touch that horrendous plot. Here are 10 gameplay ones:

1. The control scheme is awful, switching between missiles and walking makes you feel less powerful not more.
2. Name me a new power-up that this game brought to the series. Other M rehashes old weapons and brought nothing new to Samus' arsenal. She looks just about the same at the start of the game as the end.
3. Health regen is a bad system and recharging is a broken mechanic, doesn't add to the flow of the game
4. Pixel hunting is just obnoxious.
5. The sector system is a Metroid Fusion rehash, and nothing interesting is done with it.
6. The game doesn't even let you know you've unlocked a vital powerup late in the game.
7. The game is painfully linear
8. Dodging is really powerful and gives you such a boost. Basically required because of the HP system.
9. Powerups are placed just out in the open for no reason
10. The game has a bad design for where you cannot access. I am surprised nobody has posted the jumping to the powerup gif yet but that communicates so much about why this game is messed up.

Now for plot:

1. Samus gets PTSD despite never having it in the past games.
2. Because this is her 'first time working with GF' since leaving apparently Metroid Prime series isn't canon (although it should be other way around).
3. It tries really hard to be relevant to both Super Metroid and Fusion, while making it painfully obvious nobody has any idea where to go with a sequel to Fusion.
4. The baby the baby the baby.
5. MB is just a really bad idea, also confusing.
6. The Deleter plot isn't resolved well
7. The post credits stuff is basically more Super Metroid tribute for no real reason.
8. Nobody cared about Adam enough for this game, nor Samus' history with him.
9. Plot yammering really broke the flow of the game.
10. The permission system just makes the player feel weaker, make up some excuse for why the suit is damaged or something don't make Adam more powerful for no real reason.

that said who else is excited for Ghost Song?!

I was fortunate enough to play the Beta (thanks Jobbs!) and it's looking pretty damn fine so far. Once it's polished, I think people can expect some good old fashioned Metroidvania gameplay there.

I think 2015 will make a lot of Metroidvania and 2d fans happy :)

GenG3000

There are plenty of gameplay related reasons Other M was horrible, we don't even need to touch that horrendous plot. Here are 10 gameplay ones

2. Name me a new power-up that this game brought to the series. Other M rehashes old weapons and brought nothing new to Samus' arsenal. She looks just about the same at the start of the game as the end.

Despite using the same weapons, all of them felt new because the novelty of recreating 2D Metroid in 3D. Shinespark and Screw Attack, for example, make you feel powerful and are amazing to use, staying true to their 2D incarnations.

6. The game doesn't even let you know you've unlocked a vital powerup late in the game.

It was designed as an epiphanic moment of sorts, although it's true it wasn't made that clear.

7. The game is painfully linear

This Metroid was made to be linear, it isn't a gameplay problem by itself. You can agree with what it does but it's only a gameplay problem when it conflicts with other elements of its design.

The closing doors at your back may be a problem because they block you from obtaining power ups and exploring areas you shouldn't before the developers wanted to.

9. Powerups are placed just out in the open for no reason

There are power ups in the open, as in previous Metroid games, and hidden power ups.

Top Bottom