• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You’re tasked with implementing loot boxes into Super Mario Odyssey. What do you do?

Thud

I would implement it in such a way the company didn't get any of that sweet dough and then quit my job.

Fuck lootboxes.

Petrae

SMB3_mushroom_house_screen.png

Put these buildings into Odyssey.

Buy bronze, silver, or gold keys with collected coins to open one of these chests. Bronze keys are 1,000 coins, or $1. Silver keys are 2,500 coins, or $2.50. Gold keys are 5,000 coins, or $5.

Bronze keys open chests that contain coins only and there is an unspecified chance that the chest is empty. Silver keys open chests that contain powerups (small chance) or coins (greater chance); a smaller chance than bronze exists that the chest may be empty. Gold keys open chests that contain items not found in chests opened by cheaper keys and all gold key chests must be unlocked throughout gameplay to unlock the true ending.

Markoman

1. I would fly to Japan and ask for an advance

2. Buy lots of coca and visit those clubs I've ran in Yakuza 0

3. In the first meeting I would suggest to make it so that moons and stars can be obtained via loot boxes. And outfits...maybe the true ending,too.

4. Days later I watch the online community burn laughing like a madman

Pandy

I know we shouldn't joke about these things, but it is amazing how many of us had the same thought pattern when reading the thread title.

Faced with such a horrid task, killing yourself to avoid having the "blood on your hands" seems like a somewhat sane option by comparison. (Although, yeah, IRL I'd just quit.)

For real? I'd design hundreds of additional clothing items and put them in the crates which are paid for in small amounts of coins. When an item is collected it's flagged so no duplicates can be acquired. Once you have them all the merchant is out of crates. No microtransactions.

kromeo

For real? I'd design hundreds of additional clothing items and put them in the crates which are paid for in small amounts of coins. When an item is collected it's flagged so no duplicates can be acquired. Once you have them all the merchant is out of crates. No microtransactions.

I don't see where the $$££s are to be made in that

What are the two aims of doing it? Presumably to return as much revenue as possible without breaking the game experience, and create a product that players would feel enticed to buy.

So, cosmetics have been a tried and tested system that has seen massive profits in a number of titles. MO already features a cosmetics system whereby the items don't affect the gameplay, so this seems an ideal fit. Fan reception to said cosmetics has been overwhelmingly positive, especially with regard to designs featured in past Mario titles.

With a loot system, to create maximum drive, there must be tiers of loot. Simply getting the base reward on an even playing field each time doesn't provoke the same response as if you always felt like you might get something more valuable from the next one. As a result I'd say we needed some form of exotic item, a rare item, and the common item. You could go further but I feel three tiers is more suited to this game.

Common: Standard skins
Rare: More unique designs, with minor model differences
Exotic: A great skin with some effect

What effect would work well and he attractive enough that players would want to chase it? Well, the main new 'thing' with MO is throwing Cappy and becoming enemies. So I would suggest that when you throw Cappy with an exotic skin it yields some effects (sparkles, flames, smoke), with an additional effect on impact.

You could go one step further and have the above with the addition of different results on the enemies, but I'm honestly not sure it's needed relative to the additional work.

So now we have the product - a box that could contain one of the three things. How is it packaged? Good thing for us - coins and blocks are iconic to Mario.

So, you have purple coins (mixing red and blue - but perhaps this has been done in a Mario?) that can be bought and used to unlock special [?] boxes (loot blocks!). When you choose to buy one, one appears on a screen, Mario comes along and the block starts spinning. You hit jump to hit the block and Mario Kart style (complete with the music) the items rotate until you're left with the one you get. Mario does his "Aw yeh!" and you can choose to preview the item or equip it.

Skins already shown would be free, that would be too far a step across the line at this stage. Coins in game can be exchanged for purple coins, or used to save up and buy skins for a certain rate. Look to Overwatch for rates on the time needed to save for tiers.

That's about it I think. Oh and Mario Amiibo can be tapped once a day for purple coins equalling 50% of that required to buy a loot block. As skins are bought with gold currency this stops the bypassing of the system by just cashing in Amiibo and picking what you want.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Any amiibo can be tapped once every 2 weeks for a random set of costumes for Mario, which said gear can also be unlocked through normal gameplay. I think current setup Nintendo has is that certain amiibo give you specific costumes, but it'd be nicer if you could just tap any amiibo and it would randomize.

Botw

I would make the loot boxes filled with RNG powerups such as (Fire flower, a mushroom ,ice flower, cape) and spread them throughout the level and you have to hit them with your head to get the reward but some I will just put a lousy coin in them to be evil.

...the internal marketing department has reviewed the game and mandated that in order to maximize profits and adhere to the latest industry monetization trends, the game must include a loot box system.
This got me thinking how glad I am this isn't how Nintendo designs their main games.

DavidDesu

First off, before MT's, Mario starts the game with only one jump. Special moves are earned through levelling up (about 2 hrs play per move and longer for more advanced moves). You can gain all the moves however if you buy the Super Deluxe Mario-Mad Edition for just a low low £€$89.99!!

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
You are forced to input a credit card on boot up.

$1 per box at boot up. 1 box in 50 has a key to let you get past the "Press start" screen. You have to do this every time the game starts up, regardless if it crashed or your power went out. Every other box contains a "kind word of wisdom" that you bought, so you didn't technically buy nothing to skirt gambling regulations so that we can continue to graciously prey on people with lack of self control and kids.

$0.50 boxes that contain random allowable button presses. These add to your total allowed presses and your button press counts go to the top right of the screen. Once you run out, you have to gamble for more boxes. Making a balanced and enjoyable experience isn't important to continue to grow a customer base, it's all about flash in a pan tactics that leech as much has possible.

At the end of the game, if you didn't gamble on the $50 loot box (1/50 chance for it), the switch asks if you would consider playing the game again. If you say no, it self destructs and kills you because developers and publishers couldn't give two shits about who plays there game and are only interested in people who fall into their shitty money leech scam artist tactics.

Loot boxes are garbage. Thanks for taking the worst part of mobile game shite and implemented it into expensive, full paid games or games that rely on expected balance for fair competition.

Thank god the real game doesn't have them.

The ๖ۜBronx;251230385 said:
What are the two aims of doing it? Presumably to return as much revenue as possible without breaking the game experience, and create a product that players would feel enticed to buy.

So, cosmetics have been a tried and tested system that has seen massive profits in a number of titles. MO already features a cosmetics system whereby the items don't affect the gameplay, so this seems an ideal fit. Fan reception to said cosmetics has been overwhelmingly positive, especially with regard to designs featured in past Mario titles.

With a loot system, to create maximum drive, there must be tiers of loot. Simply getting the base reward on an even playing field each time doesn't provoke the same response as if you always felt like you might get something more valuable from the next one. As a result I'd say we needed some form of exotic item, a rare item, and the common item. You could go further but I feel three tiers is more suited to this game.

Common: Standard skins
Rare: More unique designs, with minor model differences
Exotic: A great skin with some effect

What effect would work well and he attractive enough that players would want to chase it? Well, the main new 'thing' with MO is throwing Cappy and becoming enemies. So I would suggest that when you throw Cappy with an exotic skin it yields some effects (sparkles, flames, smoke), with an additional effect on impact.

You could go one step further and have the above with the addition of different results on the enemies, but I'm honestly not sure it's needed relative to the additional work.

So now we have the product - a box that could contain one of the three things. How is it packaged? Good thing for us - coins and blocks are iconic to Mario.

So, you have purple coins (mixing red and blue - but perhaps this has been done in a Mario?) that can be bought and used to unlock special [?] boxes (loot blocks!). When you choose to buy one, one appears on a screen, Mario comes along and the block starts spinning. You hit jump to hit the block and Mario Kart style (complete with the music) the items rotate until you're left with the one you get. Mario does his "Aw yeh!" and you can choose to preview the item or equip it.

Skins already shown would be free, that would be too far a step across the line at this stage. Coins in game can be exchanged for purple coins, or used to save up and buy skins for a certain rate. Look to Overwatch for rates on the time needed to save for tiers.

That's about it I think. Oh and Mario Amiibo can be tapped once a day for purple coins equalling 50% of that required to buy a loot block. As skins are bought with gold currency this stops the bypassing of the system by just cashing in Amiibo and picking what you want.

Top-notch post! Thanks!

Loot boxes would be gained through normal gameplay but require specific Amiibo to unlock them.

You want Mario to have a Metroid hat. Gonna need that Metroid Amiibo.

Want Mario to don the Hero's tunic. Gonna need that link Amiibo.

Top Bottom